Forums > Photography Talk > Pirelli Calendar 2013 - Steve McCurry...opinions?

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

I'm feeling a little bit of jealousy from the thread too.. It's ok, he's a great photographer, and I personally think of this project as a set of great images, and highlighting a great cause.

As well, I definitely want to shoot in Rio now..

Dec 03 12 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Eros Studios

Boston, Massachusetts, US

They're going for what here... an Photo Journalists Calendar?

No thanks... can we have the sexy nude women calendar back, please? 

Just way too goody two shoes and mainstream for my taste.

Dec 03 12 11:27 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
True, I have always found his work amazing but, it isn't Pirelli.  At the end of the day they are selling a brand and "style" that is part of it.  Seams like a marketing gamble, the kind that can only be big; one way or the other.

No guts, no glory.  I'm not really too worried about Pirelli surviving this move.

Those who might not survive are the ones who want their T&A calendar. Don't worry, it'll be back.
Fucking grow up...

I found the lighting gorgeous, the compositions wonderful. 
It's nice to see portraiture given its due. 

Personally, I've never been interested in a Pirelli Calendar.  This one, I'm interested in.

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Laughed so hard when I saw that. Yes, even the legendary Steve McCurry.

Yes I got a snicker out of that too..

And is it ME,  or is that a Canon camera behind him in his interview?  He's shooting with a Nikon...

Dec 03 12 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

beta

Nashville, Tennessee, US

is it a break from the traditional T&A? Of course, and I think I like it even more after reading that link. Beautiful images, great story...

Dec 03 12 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

bruce blosser

Mendocino, California, US

Pirelli i  am sure  was  glad  that  this  photographer said  yes  to this, and  i  think  they  are  the ones  who  know what  they  want  in each years  callender,  not  someone giving  off the cuff opinions...

The  work is  amazing,  very romantic, and  quite beautiful.

Last  years images  were really quite  wonderful  and  very  erotic  and  this  year  we have something  completely different  ...  i  think  it  is  silly to complain  about  the  fact that these women are not  nude 

very well done!

Dec 03 12 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Tiffin

San Antonio, Texas, US

Fucking bravo!!
Steve for incredible images
Pirelli for having stones to diverge and not giving a shit.

Dec 03 12 05:10 pm Link

Model

SROllc

New York, New York, US

Hi all,
Thanks for the thread regarding the Pirelli Calendar. I was actually one of the women chosen this year and the decision to do a clothed calendar was actually very natural for the entire team. They asked Steve this year to create a calendar that would "inspire the next generation." So he suggested using women who focus on environmental and humanitarian initiatives. It was an absolute honor and pleasure to shoot the calendar and to have the "cause" front and center.

The Casting Director had mentioned that the women were never asked questions - but this year, we had elevated conversation with the journalists - ranging from everything from the backdrop of Brazil the why environment wasn't discussed in the U.S. Presidential debates. What a breath of fresh air.

Out of the three years that Pirelli shot in Rio, this was the first time they felt that they actually "captured Rio." Whatever you think of the calendar - I just want to say from being part of it firsthand, that it was a remarkable experience, with absolutely beautiful women from the inside out (who have committed their lives to a greater cause), and to work with Steve - his quiet disposition, his meticulous nature in getting the entire shot right, to capturing the zeitgeist of Rio, and to be able to tell a greater story behind my work... well, absolutely priceless.

Much love and respect,
summer rayne

Dec 03 12 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

SROllc wrote:
Hi all,
Thanks for the thread regarding the Pirelli Calendar. I was actually one of the women chosen this year and the decision to do a clothed calendar was actually very natural for the entire team. They asked Steve this year to create a calendar that would "inspire the next generation." So he suggested using women who focus on environmental and humanitarian initiatives. It was an absolute honor and pleasure to shoot the calendar and to have the "cause" front and center.

The Casting Director had mentioned that the women were never asked questions - but this year, we had elevated conversation with the journalists - ranging from everything from the backdrop of Brazil the why environment wasn't discussed in the U.S. Presidential debates. What a breath of fresh air.

Out of the three years that Pirelli shot in Rio, this was the first time they felt that they actually "captured Rio." Whatever you think of the calendar - I just want to say from being part of it firsthand, that it was a remarkable experience, with absolutely beautiful women from the inside out (who have committed their lives to a greater cause), and to work with Steve - his quiet disposition, his meticulous nature in getting the entire shot right, to capturing the zeitgeist of Rio, and to be able to tell a greater story behind my work... well, absolutely priceless.

Much love and respect,
summer rayne

borat

just sayin'!

Dec 03 12 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

bruce blosser

Mendocino, California, US

SROllc wrote:
Hi all,

Much love and respect,
summer rayne

Thank you!!!!  what  a  great  concept  and  what  a  fantastic person you are!

Dec 03 12 09:12 pm Link

Model

SROllc

New York, New York, US

Pirelli had shot a 20- and 40-minute version of the film highlighting more behind-the-scenes. This is just my section but will give you a sense of how cool it was: https://vimeo.com/54380147

These were the type of inspiring questions we were getting at the press conference:
https://vimeo.com/54458491

and speaking on stage about the youth movement and Kyleigh's work in Afghanistan: https://vimeo.com/54394088

I have more of the ladies speaking about their organizations and work here: https://vimeo.com/summerrayneoakes

But you get a general sense of what happens when you elevate the image and conversation to another level. It was powerful. And inspiring.

Thank you all,
Summer Rayne

Dec 03 12 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

SROllc wrote:
Hi all,

Much love and respect,
summer rayne

wonderful.

Dec 03 12 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

I would bet that Terry nor Steve care what any on MM think about their work lol.  Kind of like the talking heads on TV who talk but aren't getting the actual work smile

Dec 03 12 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Brett Fish

Seattle, Washington, US

DennisRoliffPhotography wrote:
a railroad tracks shot?

https://dennisroliff.com/samples/web/railroadtracks.jpg

I know, right?

Dec 03 12 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Art of LV

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I like it.  His work is amazing and a change once in a while is refreshing.

mc

Dec 03 12 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Dave McDermott

Coill Dubh, Kildare, Ireland

I was surprised to see Steve doing the Pirelli calendar but he did a great job. What sort of lights were those he was using?

Dec 27 13 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

KMP wrote:
And is it ME,  or is that a Canon camera behind him in his interview?  He's shooting with a Nikon...

A Nikon D2Xs....  12mp? In 2012?  smile    A little bit odd?

Dec 27 13 10:36 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Fred Greissing wrote:
The images are simply beautiful.

Such are contrast with the plastic photoshop look
of so much fashion today.

I agree. I liked the photos  and his spin on this.

Dec 27 13 10:54 am Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

DennisRoliffPhotography wrote:
a railroad tracks shot?

https://dennisroliff.com/samples/web/railroadtracks.jpg

It is the Arcos da Lapa(Lapa Arches), they are at the left side see http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … reza01.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carioca_Aqueduct

Right now the track is closed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Teresa_Tram

Dec 27 13 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

You Can Call Me Pierre

Loma Linda, California, US

The 2014 looks very promising.
borat

Dec 27 13 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

HAHAHA 1:50 railroad photos! hahaha no doubt someone on here had something to say about that.

I really loved the one in the tropical rains.."history in the walls" was about the quote when I saw the images.

Then there was one of a woman looking through the glass, I really loved that look.

Looks like everyone is having fun, and that's all that matters smile

i was featured in a mag recently that had done an interview on him, from what I was told, though I didn't read the magazine nor the interview..i have read about his career extensively, and really admire his work. it's interesting seeing him shooting digital, because he was one of the photographers that inspired me to start shooting film.

Dec 27 13 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

John Fisher wrote:
When I get bored I tell the models to take their clothes off, apparently when Pirelli's art director gets bored he tells the models to put their clothes on!

And they send some guy from Nat Geo to shoot the calendar? Railroad tracks? Really? Maybe next year they'll hire some great wedding photographer. How about senior portraits, when do they get their shot?

Please.

Fire the entire creative team, the lazy farts have spent too much time drinking wine and smoking weed.

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 633
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

little bit hostile are we? who pissed in your eggnog?

Dec 27 13 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

L A U B E N H E I M E R wrote:

but better than terry richardson's calendar....

Even I could do that, and that is about as low as you go.

Dec 27 13 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Somebody made a snarky comment about the finished product as opposed to the BTS.
I agree.
The quick stills, before the PS over-polishing, had a McCurry honesty and realness to them. Preferred them much better. When using a Nat. Geo. photographer PS is not needed (much), they know how to get it right in camera.

Dec 27 13 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

why was this 2012 thread revived?

Dec 28 13 09:00 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

So they could warm-up to bash the 2014 edition of the calendar.

Dec 28 13 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

why not? sheesh.

Dec 28 13 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Lumatic

Brooklyn, New York, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

Guess because he wanted to ask about the lights.

Since the thread's up, I'll just say that I thought the whole thing was excellent, from concept to result.  I didn't care that it was "typical Pirelli," I really dug the shots.

Anyway, so what?  Diana Vreeland said, "‘You're not supposed to give people what they want, you're supposed to give them what they don't know that they want yet."  I'd say they approached it in that spirit, and good on 'em.

Dec 28 13 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Moon Pix Photography

Syracuse, New York, US

Who am I to judge... but I don't see anything special about the images. sad

Dec 28 13 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Paul Tirado Photography wrote:
While a Steve Curry fan, I don't think - even in his realm of portraiture - that this was anywhere near his best work, especially some which seem to have too much of an HDR feel.

Also - as 4824 other posters have mentioned - when I think Pirelli Calender, I want to see sexy. I understand the concept of mixing it up but when you have gone so many years you like new creative approaches but you at least expect the trademarks....and by trademarks I kind of mean....boobs. 

I mean if in the latest Bond film, the showed Bond going to Bible Study, drinking a milkshake, taking a bus and telling the ladies that he "just wants to cuddle" - there would have been issues as well.

James does not cuddle???

Oh the horror!!!

Dec 28 13 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

DEHphotogaphy

Washington, District of Columbia, US

SROllc wrote:
Hi all,

Much love and respect,
summer rayne

Thank you for the first hand account.

Dec 28 13 05:54 pm Link