Forums > Photography Talk > New Full Frame

Photographer

PIX BY DAN

Kenosha, Wisconsin, US

Looking to possibly replace my Nikon D700. Looking for opinions on a good full frame replacement.

Thanks,
Dan

Dec 08 12 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Paul AI

Shawnee, Oklahoma, US

PIX BY DAN wrote:
Looking to possibly replace my Nikon D700. Looking for opinions on a good full frame replacement.

Thanks,
Dan

I love my D800.  I suspect I would love the D4 even more, though.

Dec 08 12 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

You Can Call Me Pierre

Loma Linda, California, US

D600 and D800 have Xmas bundles which includes a free battery grip included at full MSRP.

Dec 08 12 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Paul AI

Shawnee, Oklahoma, US

gl-amour wrote:
D600 and D800 have Xmas bundles which includes a free battery grip included at full MSRP.

Where at?  I was considering a D600 as a backup, so the grip may be enough to make me pull the trigger.

Dec 08 12 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

PIX BY DAN

Kenosha, Wisconsin, US

Not sure if I will stick with Nikon or go to a new brand.

Dec 08 12 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

You Can Call Me Pierre

Ken Rockwell is favoring the recent Canons more than the Nikons.
smile

Dec 08 12 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

gl-amour wrote:

lol thats a good reason to get Nikon

Dec 08 12 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

PIX BY DAN wrote:

whats Nikon not doing for you that you think might be available in Canon or Sony? (the other two FF bodies in town)

Dec 08 12 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Davonroe

Brooklyn, New York, US

PIX BY DAN wrote:

Thanks,
Dan

Why?  What upgrades are you looking for?  How deeply are you invested in Nikon?  Unless Canon or Sony has a feature that is a must for you, I would not switch.

Dec 08 12 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

gl-amour wrote:

You really need to put a smile when you write stuff like that or people will think you're serious.

Dec 08 12 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

You Can Call Me Pierre

Done!
wink

Dec 08 12 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

gl-amour wrote:

Probably one of the $60 knock-off grips.

Dec 08 12 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

John Allan wrote:

From Nikon?  not a chance

Dec 08 12 08:52 pm Link

Dec 08 12 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

gl-amour wrote:
smile

If I was Canon I would sue him for deformation. wink

Dec 08 12 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

D M E C K E R T

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

i decided to go with the d600. loving it so far. really incredible sensor sony came up with, and as usual nikon's doing a fantastic job with it. i played with the two cameras, and didn't like the ergonomics of the d800, and didn't want there to be any chance i'd get one with bad AF (or 3, like Kesler did). that and a grand saved is a grand earned, right? lol (could go toward new glass...or in my case, lasik or new flooring. haha)

i came from a d300 and d700, for reference. as far as image quality goes, there's simply no comparison. it's not even close, imo.

Dec 09 12 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

If you need to focus in reasonably dim light the d600 isn't great http://youtu.be/WdqpqOoeBQM

Otherwise it's a great camera. As someone else noted, a good amount of d800s have a focus issue with one side (can remember if its left or right).

This time around, if you want a great performing body that won't cost the earth (focus ability, fps) or video of course, it's Canon. Canon also have a very slight edge in high ISO in most cases but its small enough not to notice. If you want low ISO shadow quality, it's Nikon. I still believe canon has the better overall range of lenses with only a few exceptions, but a Nikon person will never believe that haha! There are a few other differences but they are the main ones.

Thinking about it I've not seen the video of the d600 compared to canon so no idea if that's improved.

(You didn't note that you needed a lot of res so I assumed the d800 36mp wasn't a particular benefit.)

*edit* comments above don't really take the 6d into account. It's AF is not fantastic.

Dec 09 12 01:13 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

If I had to start over, it would likely be Canon. Their L lenses are to die for, but at this time the bodies are somewhat lacking, except maybe the 5DIII. They need to release that 46MP (suspect will be called 3D) monster to keep up with the big N as there is a D4X on the horizon!

Now, if only I could use the L series lenses with my D800, that would be perfection!

edit. There is no known left AF issue with the D800! If it exists at all, it must have been on a handful of early bodies! No such problem here and I have two!

Dec 09 12 04:15 am Link

Photographer

PIX BY DAN

Kenosha, Wisconsin, US

I'm really not having major issues with the D700. Just have had it for a few years and think its time for a change, try something new maybe better. Curious to hear from other D700 users to see how they still feel about the camera.

Dec 09 12 05:20 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

London Fog wrote:
If I had to start over, it would likely be Canon. Their L lenses are to die for, but at this time the bodies are somewhat lacking, except maybe the 5DIII. They need to release that 46MP (suspect will be called 3D) monster to keep up with the big N as there is a D4X on the horizon!

Now, if only I could use the L series lenses with my D800, that would be perfection!

edit. There is no known left AF issue with the D800! If it exists at all, it must have been on a handful of early bodies! No such problem here and I have two!

Actually the issue does exist. There's a Youtube video to back that D800 issue up too.

Dec 09 12 06:21 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Legacys 7 wrote:

Actually the issue does exist. There's a Youtube video to back that D800 issue up too.

Ok, so let's get a Canon user to try out that ridiculous way over the top test and see what results they get?

Honestly, it's all BS!

Dec 09 12 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

John Allan wrote:

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
From Nikon?  not a chance

Where do you see any indication that this is a Nikon promotion?

Dec 09 12 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

London Fog wrote:

Ok, so let's get a Canon user to try out that ridiculous way over the top test and see what results they get?

Honestly, it's all BS!

No. Your trolling is bull shit. That video only confirmed what others had been experiencing with the D800.

Dec 09 12 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

I'm another in the I

Dec 09 12 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

-fpc-

Boca Raton, Florida, US

PIX BY DAN wrote:
I'm really not having major issues with the D700. Just have had it for a few years and think its time for a change, try something new maybe better. Curious to hear from other D700 users to see how they still feel about the camera.

is the D800 "better"...maybe

my D700 does everything I want and then some
so much so, I bought a new one before they were gone, while everyone else was hunting for the D800/E

it's sitting in the closet on back up duty to my current one

I love the files and lack of video , but thats just me

I may well get a D600 for a lighter street lens and the cropping ability for my occasional birding forays

Dec 09 12 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

fullmetalphotographer wrote:

Thank you. That's the funniest thing I've read in the last day or so.

Dec 09 12 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Legacys 7 wrote:
No. Your trolling is bull shit. That video only confirmed what others had been experiencing with the D800.

Let's see, out of the hundreds and thousands of D800's that Nikon have shifted, just how many have reported this issue?...maybe 3 people in the entire world, yes that means it's a major issue, quick Nikon, issue a recall!

Sorry, but it's just not an issue that warrants any serious investigation. And besides all of this, Nikon do not even recognize it as an issue, and no that doesn't mean that they are avoiding it, it just means that they simply do not see it as an issue, at least not here in Europe, so I can only comment from that point of view.

The OP asked for an opinion on a Full Frame, I've given him mine, and that of many other perfectly satisfied D800 users.

Just a thought!

Dec 09 12 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

-fpc- wrote:

is the D800 "better"...maybe

my D700 does everything I want and then some
so much so, I bought a new one before they were gone, while everyone else was hunting for the D800/E

it's sitting in the closet on back up duty to my current one

I love the files and lack of video , but thats just me

I may well get a D600 for a lighter street lens and the cropping ability for my occasional birding forays

I don't get the argument against video.

How does having a function that you don't care to use affect those that you do?

I just sold my D700 because I've used it 3 times in the last 8 months since I've had the 800. In fact, I'm selling it to buy a D3200 or D5100 as a second video camera.

Dec 09 12 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

RacerXPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

Why not rent for a few days and find out for yourself ?
It sounds like a case of GAS and you will just buy new stuff no matter what
I would spend on better glass 1st

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:GreyC … n_Syndrome

Dec 09 12 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

PIX BY DAN wrote:

I find switching brands a losing battle.

Shooters who switched from Nikon to Canon years ago, are now selling their Canon gear and moving back to Nikon. 

I know a couple who were always Canon shooters who are seriously considering Nikon.

But whatever you pick..I think it's only a matter of time before the other guy has the upper hand.  So going back and forth, to me, is a waste of money.

Dec 09 12 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

-fpc-

Boca Raton, Florida, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

I don't get the argument against video.

How does having a function that you don't care to use affect those that you do?

I just sold my D700 because I've used it 3 times in the last 8 months since I've had the 800. In fact, I'm selling it to buy a D3200 or D5100 as a second video camera.

its no argument
I don't need it, don't care for it
one less reason to "upgrade"

if you like it, use it, good on you

Dec 09 12 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Vision Images by Jake

Stockton, California, US

-fpc- wrote:

its no argument
I don't need it, don't care for it
one less reason to "upgrade"

if you like it, use it, good on you

Agreed, I guess I am just old fashion. I luv the lack of video, don't need it, don't want it.  That's why I am happy to live with my D3x for now! smile

Dec 09 12 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

lol thats a good reason to get Nikon

As far as technical specs he is spot on on most things

Dec 09 12 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

PIX BY DAN wrote:

I have a D700 (for me) it's a keeper.  I was looking at the D600 because it would be nice to own a Nikon FX that shot 1080p video.  I still think the D600 is too pricey for what you get.  The D600 image quality is excellent the video quality is good but not as good as Canon (sorry Nikon).  I think that $1800.00 US is what the D600 body is worth. I also think the price will drop in the Spring of 2013.

The D800 is a fine studio camera solidly built too, but I do some photojournalism work
and I can't deal with the D800 file size.  Too bad Nikon didn't make a 24mp/1080p upgrade with the D700's shutter speed, frame rate and alloy body. That purchase would have been a no brainer. So until Nikon comes out with new FX releases, the D600 and D800 is what you get.

Dec 09 12 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

fullmetalphotographer wrote:

deformation????

Dec 09 12 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Love the Arts wrote:

I have a D700 (for me) it's a keeper.  I was looking at the D600 because it would be nice to own a Nikon FX that shot 1080p video.  I still the D600 is too pricey for what you get.  The D600 image quality is excellent the video quality is good but not as good as Canon (sorry Nikon).  I think that $1800.00 US is what the D600 body is worth. I also think the price will drop in the Spring of 2013.

The D800 is a fine studio camera solidly built too, but I do some photojournalism work
and I can't deal with the D800 file size.  Too bad Nikon didn't make a 24mp/1080p upgrade with the D700's shutter speed, frame rate and alloy body. That purchase would have been a no brainer. So until Nikon comes out with new FX releases, the D600 and D800 is what you get.

I can't use a D800 for collegiate tennis, either.  Too slow.

Dec 09 12 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Doug Jantz wrote:

deformation????

It's funny if you spent way too much time browsing the forum while watching NFL today.

Dec 09 12 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

A_Nova_Photography

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US

I still haven't found the replacement for my D700, the D800 isn't it and neither is the D600... FWIW my D3s still gets the most usage the D800 is just too darn slow.... The D800 is a great studio camera and that's pretty much where it stays unless I'm out shooting landscapes.

Dec 09 12 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Lafferty

Brooklyn, New York, US

ACPhotography wrote:
I still haven't found the replacement for my D700, the D800 isn't it and neither is the D600... FWIW my D3s still gets the most usage the D800 is just too darn slow.... The D800 is a great studio camera and that's pretty much where it stays unless I'm out shooting landscapes.

This is so funny. I shot a published gig covering the Paris Opera ballet company on the D800. Plenty fast. It's amazing to think the world cranked out any good photos in the days of one shot per second - but somehow they managed. And now photographers whine about "only" four FPS.

Love the D3s, too, but the D800 is an amazing camera.

Dec 09 12 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

gl-amour wrote:

If they had that deal at B&H and/or Adorama I'd get the D600. That would be worth the bucks!

Dec 09 12 11:27 pm Link