Forums > General Industry > How many photoshoots did you do in 2012?

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Hello Everyone,

Just curious who would like to share their 2012 in photoshoots?
How many shoots did you participate in?

Any particularily memorable ones?

Dec 09 12 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Bilsen Galleries

CORTLANDT MANOR, New York, US

Just counted and i was lucky enough to do 47 during our outdoor season.  Three so far in the studio.

As for memorable, anything I do with Cindy Mota and the trash bag lady with Layla Strickland.

Dec 09 12 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Theres still a couple bookings pending for me, which will put me at just under 70 on my own camera. Mostly those were collaboration with other MM members.

I collaborated with my 200th MM member back in Nov.
That was a pretty cool number to reach.

Spent plenty of time behind the company camera too doing portraits but I don't know how to count that. Easily 2000+ clicks there.

Then I participated in a few others working as assistant for two Pro Photogs and even got to travel. Which was very rewarding.

Dec 09 12 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

131 shoots, I think.

Many memorable ones. I got better this year.

Dec 09 12 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Odin Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Real shoots, not including taking my camera to events just to shoot for fun? 13! In yo face suckers! Wait a minute... is more better? Crap tongue

Dec 09 12 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Hello Everyone,

1. Are you taking a survey?

2. In your other part time job...is it with the IRS

3. What are you doing with the non scientific information?

Dec 09 12 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Odin Photo wrote:
Real shoots, not including taking my camera to events just to shoot for fun? 13! In yo face suckers! Wait a minute... is more better? Crap tongue

131 trade shoots is NOT better than 5 or 6 very well paid shoots.

Dec 09 12 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Odin Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
131 trade shoots is NOT better than 5 or 6 very well paid shoots.

It is if you're in it for the love of photography. If I told you how much I made on photography last year, you would laugh and I would cry. And then when you saw I was serious, if you were a sensitive man, a compassionate man, you might cry with me. No... business... hustle... AT ALL.

I'm going to be a bit arrogant and say I think I could artistically best over 95% of my local area's professional photographers given the same budget and resources/MUAs, Stylists etc. I think I have the chops behind the lens, but I can't market myself to save my life. I don't have the talent to do most of the the pre-production necessary to get the shots from my head in front of my camera, and I can't afford to pay the people who do have the talent to do so.

I have no desire to devalue my worth as an artist, but if I want to shoot, I feel that I have to. It's a labor of love for me.

I dig your port. Keep shooting my friend.

Edit: Thanks OP and Good Egg. I've been wanting to ramp up my game for awhile and this has just become the catalyst to convince me that no budget is an excuse for cry babies and cowards. Thanks again. The artist formerly known as Pri... er, cry baby. wink

Dec 09 12 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Woodson Photography

Savannah, Georgia, US

47 shoots in 2012.   Would have been more if I hadn't had to take off 3 months due to that pesky Double Bypass.  smile

I have 4 more scheduled for this year.

Dec 09 12 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Primordial Creative

I think I totalled something like 25 model mayhem related shoots, with 8 people being repeat offenders, meaning I worked with them several times.

Dec 09 12 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Barely 3

Lots of crazy stuff happened this year that kept me from being creative

Dec 09 12 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
131 shoots, I think.

Many memorable ones. I got better this year.

That is a lot of shoots.

Probably will end up with 40 this year.

I got 2 people to buy me dinner as my photography fee.

Dec 09 12 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Galaviz - Photo

Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico

I did about 24 shots this year, considering I haven't had a camera until July, it was a so-so year...

Dec 09 12 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

A N D E R S O N

Rockville, Maryland, US

I have no idea, but I believe all but 3 or 4 of my portfolio images were taken this year.

Dec 09 12 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

I think it's a total of eleven done through MM.

Dec 09 12 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

JSandersPhotography

Topeka, Kansas, US

I'm at 20 so far.  I still have 2 more to go this year, and 2-3 more that may possibly happen.  Most memorable?  Hard to say, it's either my last bikini shoot of the summer, or the horror themed group shoot I went to.  (Niether had any MM models, so there's no pics to post here I'm afraid.)

Dec 09 12 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

DCS Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

between work and personal shoots since march probably on ave of 4-5 shoots per week.

Dec 09 12 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I would have to say that business picked up in 2012.

If I exclude the random MM shoot, while working continuously, I participated in an average of 3 per week. 2 out of three were usually mine, and I assisted about once per week for fellow photographers (lighting) working on the same catalogs.

A rough estimate would say a little under 120 so far, but not all of them were llama mayhem shoots.

Edit: Did the math. My MM shoots this year were a paltry 22. I have less than 4 scheduled before the end of the year.

I guestimate 2013 will be slower, if I move to Massachusetts permanently.

Dec 09 12 05:36 pm Link

Model

Sabryna S

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

7 shoots. Would have been 9 since I had 2 scheduled for this week but weather and other unforeseen circumstances prevented that.
I doubt I'll be able to reschedule them for later this month because of busy and conflicting schedules due to the holidays, so I hope January will work out. 
I've only been doing trade shoots since September and I'm new still, so I guess it's decent? I dunno. tongue

Dec 09 12 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

LLOYD WRIGHT

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

for personal projects on here, 3.

Dec 09 12 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

60 so far with at least 3 more planned.

The most memorable have been the "Industrial nudes" series where I have met some of the most awesome local and traveling models, including Kissha Rose in my avatar.

Dec 09 12 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Wow, I did more than I thought.
I did 10 this year with 8 different MM models.
I'm not counting a grueling multiday stock shoot in Nashville though.  I have 47 releases but didn't shoot with all of them, maybe half.

Dec 09 12 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Somewhere between 125 and 150.  If I count productions where I was the director for a 3-camera video crew, it would be more like 175-200.  If you count creative direction as photo shoots I "participated in" then definitely over 200.

By comparison, in 2011, I probably did about 10 shoots the entire year.  Between 2008 and 2010, I probably averaged 15 per year, if that.  I wasn't shooting full time then, though.  I had a full-time job and just did photography when I felt like it.  During the same period, I probably worked as director for the video production crew on about 3-5 gigs.

It has been an exhausting year but really, really enjoyable.  None of what I did as a director (for camera teams) was particularly memorable but I enjoyed it.  They just all run together.  Many of the photoshoots were memorable.  I do a lot of food photography and love it.  As for shooting models, there were a number of them which were memorable but one editorial I did got some good recognition.  That's the one I'll remember this year by…

Dec 09 12 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Charger Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

54 .. still have three more this year.. as memorable.. lots of them.. but me avatar has to be the one.

Dec 09 12 06:50 pm Link

Model

reni rush

Carbon Hill, Alabama, US

Odin Photo wrote:

I think that's "13!" not 131.
I've had 25 this year.

*edit* I have 2 more  this week.

Dec 09 12 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Deida

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

0...... time to turn in my certificate of authority for NYS smile

Dec 09 12 07:00 pm Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

oh lord, i think i only did half a dozen or so...

Dec 09 12 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

About 20 - lot's of memorable ones.  Stories I can't tell - Images I can't post.

Good times.....

One in particular that I can share - Adam Chilson's genius "dusk to dawn shoot"

Was - epic - - Including my current avatar

and 18+ (involving the "Explodinator" water cannon)
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 4642ff.jpg

Seriously - Adam is a genius.

It was not a model shoot - but the shuttle coming to LA was pretty cool
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-s … 1675_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a … 7898_n.jpg

Dec 09 12 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Charlie Webb

Anniston, Alabama, US

I did a total of 19 this year which really surprised me.  I have two more scheduled for this coming week with models who have never flaked on me in the past so I should have 21 before I call it a year.  As for memorable ones I had a wonderful Christmas Card shoot with a nice family in November and yesterday I did my very first boudoir style shoot that went very well.  All in all a good year for a hobbiest I think

Dec 09 12 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Way too many, but ... I don't think I count in this survey.  I am impressed with what I am reading though.  Kudos, you guys all shoot a lot and that's great that you are dedicated.

Dec 09 12 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

2012 was a slow year photography wise for me.  About 10 shoots with models and maybe 60 days total shooting.

Dec 09 12 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

I shoot as a hobby.  Looks like I will have 28 total for this year.  Going through my stuff it looks like I did 25 last year (my first year).

I have 3 shoots scheduled for the first two weeks of 2013, and a few other models writing.  I am going to try and shoot more often next year. I learned tons this year and want to keep pushing forward. Year 3 will be a good year smile

Dec 09 12 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

About 7. That's about my standard pace, every couple of months.

Dec 09 12 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

Paid:  58 so far with 7 more in the next couple weeks

MM:  0

MM since i joined in 2005:  5 i think...

yah, im anti-social that way... =P

Dec 09 12 07:41 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Hi,
I'm surprised but, I think I did about 40. Mostly all in the last four months.

most memorable, all with Melchor Ruiz. Also all with Amanda Fike.
Jen

Dec 09 12 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

LMG Images

Nashville, Tennessee, US

58 so far.  I am guessing that I'll do one more with the holidays coming up.

Dec 09 12 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Harris Photography

Metuchen, New Jersey, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Hello Everyone,

By the end of the year is should be 36 or 37.

Each was memorable in its own way, especially as the images got better along the way.

Dec 09 12 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

2012 was a slow year for me photographically speaking.  Lots of transitions, some of my favorite models getting out of the game (school, pregnancy, marriage, life events) and some stuff going on with me.

I did 41 model shoots in 2012 (and will likely do 4-6 more in what remains of December).

I probably had what would constitute another 65-75 "shoots" that didn't involve models where I went someplace for the specific purpose of photography, brought my gear, and generated 100+ images.  Some involved events (bands, sports, theatre, conferences) and some involved places (museums, landscapes, monuments, buildings).

Most memorable photography activity for 2012 was a failure.  I was in  Alaska for 5 days.  That was my 49th state (North Dakota is now the last remaining one).  I specifically wanted to shoot the Northern Lights.  Brought my tripod, cold weather gear for hanging outside at 1am for a couple of hours, flashlights for working in the dark.  And it was rainy or foggy or overcast enough that I got nothing.  Juneau, Anchorage, and Fairbanks--and I struck out on all 3.

My most memorable model shoot of 2012 would be a tie with 3 models (1 of whom is a MM model).  Did four day-long shoots with a model I'll call "L", and five 4-6 hour long shoots with a model I'll call "K" (neither of whom were on model mayhem) and then one 4 hour shoot with a relatively new model here on MM.  All 10 of those shoots were outstanding--nothing but great results, fun times, lots of creativity, no ego...the kind of shoot you never want to end and remind you of why you're in the game.  Those 3 models were just amazing.  From those 10 shoots I probably generated 2,000 edits. 

Ed

Dec 09 12 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

63 shoots and only one dud

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Dec 09 12 08:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SD Makeup Artisty

Hicksville, New York, US

I wanna say between 16-25.  I do a lot of combined/double shoots and I don't remember what's from when lol.

Dec 09 12 08:44 pm Link