Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Rant about Subway Restaurants

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Jan 11 13 11:02 am Link

Model

Lily Darling

Lansing, Michigan, US

I personally get vinager and oil on my sub which helps with the dryness alot, so does the extra mayo muuwwhhaaaa! lol

Jan 11 13 11:08 am Link

Photographer

37photog

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Subway sucks.  I liked how a week ago some employee threatened to punch a customer or something cause he wanted ketchup for his cheesesteak, and the employee said they don't provide ketchup.  Then claimed his reasoning was "Who puts ketchup on a cheesesteak?"

Gee, I dunno, 75% of Philadelphians who eat cheesesteaks NOT made at shi**y locations like Subway.

Jan 11 13 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Cosplay Creatives

Syowa - permanent station of Japan, Sector claimed by Norway, Antarctica

I've never had dry sub bread from them, mine are usually moist and soft.

Jan 11 13 11:29 am Link

Photographer

GeorgeMann

Orange, California, US

Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
How exactly does Subway make their bread so incredibly dry? Do they learn from the Italians or something? lol. And there is always so much more bread than anything else, and the bread is one of the main things that make people fat. At least the modern wheat variety. And Subway subs have like a 4 hours shelf life before it turns to crap. Does anyone remember the "sub club" when they used to give people stamps each time they got a sub so that when they buy 8 subs they get one free? Now with the magnet swipe cards you need to buy closer to 15 subs before getting a free one, and I can't even imagine how many times the register person has failed to add my points on when I purchased something. Probably over $100 worth of food easily that I didn't get credit for buying. Why are they so incredibly frugal? They are the largest restaurant chain on the planet I think. They can't say they are doing poorly. lol.

If they are all that bad, why do you keep going back??

Jan 11 13 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Their bread is a crap shoot. If you get it hot and fresh it is usually good. Often they will load a fresh batch in and will sometimes let me have one of the fresh ones. Other times they say its too hot. Whatever.

Their prices are really going through the roof. I used to love getting the steak and cheese but now I just get whatever they have on the $5.00 deal. That works out pretty well for me. I get two meals loaded with meat, veggies and the bread for $2.50 per meal.

Jan 11 13 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Gryph wrote:

+1

This is true for my area and Phoenix also!

Jan 11 13 11:54 am Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Gryph wrote:

Same here.

I worked at one for a couple months. Break comes in frozen, you spray water onto it, put it in the oven. Take it out of the oven and put them into the poofer.

Ta da. You have bread.

Jan 11 13 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Don't get it toasted?

Jan 11 13 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

GeorgeMann wrote:

Excellent question.

Jan 11 13 12:32 pm Link

Model

Russian Katarina

London, England, United Kingdom

How exactly does Subway make their bread so incredibly dry? Do they learn from the Italians or something? lol. And there is always so much more bread than anything else, and the bread is one of the main things that make people fat. At least the modern wheat variety. And Subway subs have like a 4 hours shelf life before it turns to crap. Does anyone remember the "sub club" when they used to give people stamps each time they got a sub so that when they buy 8 subs they get one free? Now with the magnet swipe cards you need to buy closer to 15 subs before getting a free one, and I can't even imagine how many times the register person has failed to add my points on when I purchased something. Probably over $100 worth of food easily that I didn't get credit for buying. Why are they so incredibly frugal? They are the largest restaurant chain on the planet I think. They can't say they are doing poorly. lol.

Bread can actually be designed to stay fresh for weeks, it's just not done because they would sell less of it if it never turned bad.

Jan 11 13 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

NicoleNudes wrote:

Same here.

I worked at one for a couple months. Break comes in frozen, you spray water onto it, put it in the oven. Take it out of the oven and put them into the poofer.

Ta da. You have bread.

Poofer?

Jan 11 13 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Wildcat Photography

Valparaiso, Indiana, US

Subway sucks!

Super high sodium in their meat.

And they do not make you a fresh sandwich...everything is pre-cut in a factory.

Jan 11 13 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

The bread was never a problem for me at Subways.

The only problem I ever had at one was in Seattle, where I waited at the counter while the only person on staff was outside washing the rubber floor mats from the work area. When he dragged them back in and was ready to serve us, he wiped his nose with his wet hand and then wiped his hands on his apron. With his still-unwashed bare hands he rearranged some cheese and meats in the trays and then asked us what we wanted.

He looked slightly bewildered when I asked if he was going to wash his hands, but I wasn't about to get a sandwich made of stuff he'd just handled, so we walked. And when one family walked in the door we informed them and they did a one-eighty.

Jan 11 13 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

I also haven't had any issues with dry bread at Subway. They've been pretty decent around my area. That said, I do like Togo's slightly better than Subway.

Jan 11 13 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Compass Rose Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

Subway is fast food, not matter how you doctor it up.

As McDonalds is to the burger, so subway is to the sandwich. 

If I'm going to eat FF, I'm not going to delude myself into thinking it's healthy.

Jan 11 13 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

+1

This is true for my area and Phoenix also!

I thought everything dried out in Phoenix! wink

OP, remember that Subway has both corporate run and franchise locations. It could be the ones you go to are trying to skimp and use bread that should have been tossed. Not defending them - but this is a possibility.

Jan 11 13 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mr. Sub is much better. I think they are Canada only.

Quiznos is also quite good.

Jan 11 13 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

AndyD10

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

I'm just afraid that one day every street in every town in the whole world will smell the same.  That special Subway aroma.

Jan 11 13 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Russian Katarina wrote:
Bread can actually be designed to stay fresh for weeks, it's just not done because they would sell less of it if it never turned bad.

Maybe for retail, but for a sandwich shop that doesn't make any sense. Subway's into making sandwiches on demand, not selling bread for keeping at home. Whether the bread is same-day-fresh or just fresh-for-a-few-days, they'll still sell the same number of sandwiches.

Jan 11 13 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Stephen Dawson wrote:
Mr. Sub is much better. I think they are Canada only.

Quiznos is also quite good.

Gah...I miss Quiznos.  They all up and disappeared in my area.  sad

Jan 11 13 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Bek Ruszin wrote:

They're still around in the San Joaquin. It's just that they keep mailing out coupons for special offers that the restaurants refuse to honor.

But that's probably the last step before up and disappearing.

Jan 11 13 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Hmmmm.... bummer.
Subway is usually my go-to spot when I'm on the road. A big veggie
sandwich with everything doesn't weigh me down, tastes yummy
and is fast and cheap.

Jan 11 13 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

GeorgeMann wrote:

+1

He's talking about all the money he spends with them, that he's LOST $100, but still goes back to get their dry, fattening sammy!

Jan 11 13 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Bek Ruszin wrote:

The one near me went out of business, recently. sad

Jan 11 13 01:04 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

AndyD10 wrote:
I'm just afraid that one day every street in every town in the whole world will smell the same.  That special Subway aroma.

I can tell when my ex-husband has taken my children to Subway by the way they smell. It's a gift:)

Jan 11 13 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

They're still around in the San Joaquin. It's just that they keep mailing out coupons for special offers that the restaurants refuse to honor.

I don't know if I'm up for driving that far for a sammich.  lol 

Can you mail me one?

Jan 11 13 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

when they used to give people stamps each time they got a sub so that when they buy 8 subs they get one free? Now with the magnet swipe cards you need to buy closer to 15 subs before getting a free one, and I can't even imagine how many times the register person has failed to add my points on when I purchased something. Probably over $100 worth of food easily that I didn't get credit for buying. Why are they so incredibly frugal?

Why are you bitching at them for being so frugal when you're complaining about how many sandwiches you have to buy before you get a free one? Frugality begets frugality.

Jan 11 13 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Stephen Dawson wrote:

The one near me went out of business, recently. sad

What's up with that?  In the meantime, I have no less than 50 subways in a 5 mile radius. 

It's really funny, because there's a WalMart with a Subway inside it and right next store to said WalMart is...you guessed it...a Subway.  hmm

Jan 11 13 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Bek Ruszin wrote:

Can you mail me one?

We'll have to start a whole new thread about how the US Postal Service dries out bread in transit.

Jan 11 13 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Cosplay Creatives

Orca Bay Images wrote:

We'll have to start a whole new thread about how the US Postal Service dries out bread in transit.

lol

Jan 11 13 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Bek Ruszin wrote:
It's really funny, because there's a WalMart with a Subway inside it and right next store to said WalMart is...you guessed it...a Subway.  hmm

Right next to the local WalMart is a MacDonalds. And inside the WalMart is a MacDonalds.

Jan 11 13 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Damn frugal USPS.  They'll probably squash the hell out of it, too.  tongue

Jan 11 13 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Bek Ruszin wrote:

If you ever do the traveling-model thing, you know where to stop.

Jan 11 13 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Right next to the local WalMart is a MacDonalds. And inside the WalMart is a MacDonalds.

Same here, both Walmarts same thing.

Jan 11 13 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Orca Bay Images wrote:

If you ever do the traveling-model thing, you know where to stop.

You buyin'?  wink

Jan 11 13 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Cosplay Creatives

Taints Quiznos with moving rice.

Jan 11 13 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Bek Ruszin wrote:
Damn frugal USPS.  They'll probably squash the hell out of it, too.  tongue

I wouldn't ship the sammich in a bubble-wrap envelope. I'd ship it in one of those "if it fits, it ships" boxes. I'd even cut some holes in the box so the USPS thinks I'm shipping a puppy. Then they'll make sure the package gets to you on time.

Can't say it worked for the last three puppies I shipped, but for a sammich it's not that important if it gets to you a day or two late.

Jan 11 13 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Gryph wrote:
Taints Quiznos with moving rice.

NOOOOO!

Jan 11 13 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Bek Ruszin wrote:

You buyin'?  wink

We'll split the diff and deduct my part from your pay.

Jan 11 13 01:23 pm Link