Photographer

PHOTOGRAPHY BY ED NUNES

Orlando, Florida, US

Who did your website and who do you use for your hosting?  Looking to switch web developer!

Jan 13 13 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

we used a wordpress template from theme forest. wordpress isn't for the faint of heart (i had to hack on the PHP a bit) but it's easier to do the maintenance. we're on godaddy (but had to upgrade to the newer servers to get wordpress working right).

www.crendophoto.com

Jan 13 13 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Valenten Photography

Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, Île-de-France, France

I'm using wordpress as well (http://valentenphotography.wordpress.com).

Indeed it may seem a bit complex at first but you can easily maintain your website, update it, etc.

Jan 13 13 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Pickard

Stafford, England, United Kingdom

I have a faint heart so use Sitewelder

www.paulpickard.com

www.paulpickardweddings.com

Jan 13 13 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

KA Style

Syracuse, New York, US

Im a Wordpress user and customize a theme. I do my own site. I play with the code and back end in the FTP. I use Godaddy. 4 years running with no issues. I love Wordpress, its the poo for SEO and I love the blog/site in one. I actually do peoples WP sites on the side.

Been making over my site for the past couple of week, still working. Well, really a website is a never ending process. I updated to a better responsive theme as well as a style change.

And yes Wordpress/higher end themes are not for a newbie.

http://kastylephotography.net

Jan 13 13 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Wishaw, Scotland, United Kingdom

Valenten Photography wrote:
Indeed it may seem a bit complex at first but you can easily maintain your website, update it, etc.

Wordpress is great, although I always go for self hosted, you get a lot more versatility than you get going with wordpress.com.

Like Valenten says, it can seem a bit complex at first, but once it's all setup, it's a doddle to maintain.

Jan 13 13 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Valenten Photography

Conflans-Sainte-Honorine, Île-de-France, France

Kaouthia wrote:

Wordpress is great, although I always go for self hosted, you get a lot more versatility than you get going with wordpress.com.

Like Valenten says, it can seem a bit complex at first, but once it's all setup, it's a doddle to maintain.

Self-hosted is ideal indeed. I'm already hosting some websites for some musical projects, so I was not really willing to host another one myself. Having it hosted on wp.com was just more "simple" for me.

Jan 13 13 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Houmaan Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Defiantly go with WordPress. But try to select the theme wisely! Try use one which is more SEO friendly. Some experience on PHP, HTML and CSS coding going to help you a lot.

Good luck smile

Jan 13 13 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Leon Bailey

Orlando, Florida, US

I designed it myself and I use a dedicated server with www.servint.com. Currently hosting 6 websites. smile

Jan 13 13 06:09 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

I4solutions built the site (not cheap). Net Hosting.

www.houseofthailand.com

Jan 13 13 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

What they said.

Wordpress
And self hosted. I'm on HostGator, but GoDaddy or most any other major hosting company works fine too.

Jan 13 13 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

We use a co-location service, so we have the whole box.
It runs a few of our sites.

I am using the Joomla 2.5 CMS on my photography site.

Just finished writing the Joomla module ProFashionImageStrip to display images (HTML5 [no flash] and backed by arguably the best image management system available; SlideShowPro Director). It's compatible with both desktop and tablet.

http://www.johnallanstudio.com/Portfolio.html

Jan 13 13 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

I do all my own work and I own my servers

Jan 13 13 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

I did my own. It's several years old now and somewhat dated, and i'm re-doing mine.

I'll do yours, too, but odds are you can't afford me, since I do web dev as a career. wink

Jan 13 13 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

J-PhotoArt

San Francisco, California, US

As a few people have already suggested, I would go with a Wordpress site.  Go to Theme Forest (http://themeforest.net/) you will find about 200 templates for Wordpress alone most are in the $40 to $65 range.  Pretty much everyone of the templates for sale at Theme Forest have a "Live Preview" with data so you can see it in action.

All can be completely customize they way you want.  What you are really purchasing is a predefined look & feel, style & functionality.  You want to make sure that the template that you choose is a "responsive" site which basically means that it display properly on desktops, laptops, pads / tablets and cell phones.

You might find the Worpress templates a bit of a challenge to get started on at first.  But all the ones I have worked with so far all come with pretty good documentation.  You just have to take the time to read the documentation before you start.  They really are pretty simple once you get into them!

I am looking at a few templates for Photography right now for my new website and for two Professional Photographers who have hired me to build their new sites.  These are a few of the templates that I am looking at:

http://themeforest.net/item/baltimore-w … hor=dwoolf
http://themeforest.net/item/mattis-phot … r=system32
http://themeforest.net/item/valerie-pho … llaStudios
http://themeforest.net/item/appstract-p … =cpothemes
http://themeforest.net/item/autofocus-p … ervethemes

For hosting I normally recommend Go Daddy.  I am sure someone here will start to bitch about them, but I have never had a problem with them and have at least 50+ Clients hosting with them over the last 4 or 5 years. 

Another option for hosting that I have just started using is Site5 http://www.site5.com/hosting/web  They are about $0.50 a more a month for basic hosting than Go Daddy and you get just as many features.  I am now a reseller for them for my Clients that want me to do the hosting for them.  I am really impressed with the Tech Support.

Best of luck to you!

Jan 13 13 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I did my own web site and I run my own dedicated server.

http://charlesbeckwith.com/

Jan 13 13 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

One of the pervasive problems/issues with 'photography templates' is that little or no attention is given to the process of actually updating the images displayed.
Yes, it looks good in their demo, when you get it home, you find that you're hand-adding images.
I'm not against templates and in fact I think themeforest is one of the better template aggregators. But template creators are basically graphic artists and their intention is to get something that will display well. They don't necessarily even understand the requirements of a working site based on images.

So, it's the modules or plugins or components that are sold by the respective cottage industries that really make the difference. For instance my website uses a Joomla template which was sold on themeforest. However, it wasn't a photography template. It's the module functionality that makes it one. Not the template.

Jan 13 13 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

KA Style

Syracuse, New York, US

John Allan wrote:
One of the pervasive problems/issues with 'photography templates' is that little or no attention is given to the process of actually updating the images displayed.
Yes, it looks good in their demo, when you get it home, you find that you're hand-adding images.
I'm not against templates and in fact I think themeforest is one of the better template aggregators. But template creators are basically graphic artists and their intention is to get something that will display well. They don't necessarily even understand the requirements of a working site based on images.

So, it's the modules or plugins or components that are sold by the respective cottage industries that really make the difference. For instance my website uses a Joomla template which was sold on themeforest. However, it wasn't a photography template. It's the module functionality that makes it one. Not the template.

Just have to hunt for one that works. Ive played with 12 different TF themes and all displayed my photos great. smile

To add. I do know what you mean about adding photos... some are time consuming.

Jan 13 13 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelClements

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

http://www.michaelclements.com.au/

Made my own in Wordpress. Found a theme and tweaked the CSS etc until I was happy.

Jan 13 13 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Nelia

John Allan wrote:

Most of the templates that I am looking at are very easy to add, delete, move and order the images, mostly thru drag and drop which is why I like them.  I need the site to be as easy to maintain by the Client as possible.

I just completed a Wordpress site for a restaurant Client.  The Owner is already making some modifications / changes to the site on his own and I have only spent about a 1/2 hour showing him the Admin section of the site.  I think most people will not have a problem using a Wordpress site with a minimal amount of training / instruction.

Jan 13 13 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Studio MD - Casting

I go through Dot5hosting and hired myseld to make it using Dreamweaver.

http://michaeldonovanphotography.com/

Jan 13 13 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Nelia wrote:
Most of the templates that I am looking at are very easy to add, delete, move and order the images, mostly thru drag and drop which is why I like them.  I need the site to be as easy to maintain by the Client as possible.

No disrespect intended, but my guess is that we have different definitions of what constitutes a smooth workflow from camera to website.

And Joomla is open enough to give web/component designers the latitude to really make management an unbearable headache. But it has the largest cottage industry behind it - which in the end is what is most important for the most people.

In 2010 I was brought in to correct an architecture based on Joomla where the developer had done just that. I billed well into the six figures for that project. Although, I don't usually take on web development. I more typically do large scale database driven production system architecture and development. But I specialize in flows and architecture, so I know something about it.

Jan 13 13 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

J-PhotoArt

John Allan wrote:
No disrespect intended, but my guess is that we have different definitions of what constitutes a smooth workflow from camera to website.

And Joomla is open enough to give web/component designers the latitude to really make management an unbearable headache. But it has the largest cottage industry behind it - which in the end is what is most important for the most people.

In 2010 I was brought in to correct an architecture based on Joomla where the developer had done just that. I billed well into the six figures for that project. Although, I don't usually take on web development. I more typically do large scale database driven production system architecture and development. But I specialize in flows and architecture, so I know something about it.

As you say, no disrespect intended, but I am quite positive that we have different definitions of what constitutes a smooth workflow from camera to website.  Like you I have a vert strong background in website / system development.

I built my first website a bit over 20 years ago.  I taught myself HTML from viewing the source code of other's website.  I was the managing partner for a Internet Service Provider that specialized in web based system development for small to medium size businesses.  I also taught advanced web page designed at Coastline Community College for a year back in 1997 until a sudden illness side tracked that.

So like you, I believe that I speak with quite a bit of knowledge on the subject as well.

However, as you say, we have different definitions of what constitutes a smooth workflow from camera to website.

Jan 13 13 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

KA Style

Syracuse, New York, US

Jan 13 13 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Lefebvre

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

DIGITAL DREAMS OF FL wrote:
Who did your website and who do you use for your hosting?  Looking to switch web developer!

I built my website (from scratch) and Cotsco (through dotCanada) does my webhosting.

Jan 14 13 03:07 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Me, I do this for others once and a while. Hosted with Amen but that is just because I started out there.

Hardest part about creating web sites is not the creation but making the sites work on every archaic almost not used browsers and to keep up with the frequent updates of Javascript, etc and make them device friendly. Biggest problem with i Devices is the best way to do that is make the site coded in PHP so that when a device is detected, the request toggles to a device specific code. A real pain to make sites for a reasonable cost that do all of this well.

Jan 14 13 03:18 am Link

Model

Holly Hoxter

Richmond, Virginia, US

I don't know nearly as much about this sort of thing as you all do I'm sure...  That being said I have a wix site that I linked to a domain name I bought.  I've not gotten any bad reviews yet. It's cheap and easy to use. Take a look and let me know what you think...
www.ahollywoodsummer.com
smile

Jan 14 13 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Lee Studios

San Diego, California, US

Don't go wordpress. It is definitely over used and does not give you the functionality you need. I used it, and it even the $85 theme i purchased never really looked the way I wanted it too. As well as if any other photographer had the theme I looked just like the rest of them.

Go with a custom developer.

Jan 14 13 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Starsquid

s-Gravenhage, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Did my own though coding was done by our programmer.

www.starsquid.com

Oxilion hosting

Jan 14 13 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Pantelis Palios

Maldon, England, United Kingdom

I designed it using GoLive.

000webhoast hosts it for free.

www.palios.eu

Jan 14 13 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

DIGITAL DREAMS OF FL wrote:
1)  Who did your website and
2)  who do you use for your hosting?

1)  I did my own web site, back in the early 90s.  I used Microsoft's Front Page and some knowledge of HTML.  Front Page had a user interface a big lot like Microsoft Word's (which I knew well), and it had a lot of nice built-ins (themes, examples, page counters, forms, etc.).  Unfortunately, Microsoft obsoleted Front Page a couple of years ago, replacing it with it's "Dreamweaver competitor", Expressions Web -- Expressions Web is complex, expensive, and much more than I'd like -- at the same time, it doesn't have the easy built-in features I like in Front Page.  I haven't found a good replacement for Front Page (but that's another thread).  My web site isn't flashy (pun intended) but I don't like super-fancy web sites -- the site is there to display my photography, not to impress folks with my web development skills.

2)  I started out with a cheap web host.  They were great, but they were small, and they got acquired.  The new host was less responsive, less reliable, and more expensive.  That new host got acquired, and the next host was less responsive, less reliable, and more expensive.  That cycle actually occurred a few times.  In the end, I "had" a host with maybe 50% uptime, three times as expensive, and there was no way to contact them (no phone, no e-mail, no web site of their own).  I had to cancel payments to leave them.

So, when I went looking for a new host, I wanted the following:
...  Too big to be acquired,
...  Super reliable and exceptional uptime,
...  Not shy about hosting my fine art nude photography,
...  24x7 phone support,
...  Good control panels & other features,
...  Reasonable (but not necessarily rock bottom) price.
You might want to look for something else, but that's what I looked for. 

When I had a small number of candidates, this is what I did.  I called their phone support number & timed how long it took before I was talking with a human being who was prepared to answer my questions.

GoDaddy won.  I've been on it for several years now -- no issues, no downtime.

BTW:  Tangent Alert:  You didn't ask, but if you want people to visit your web site, you'll need to keep refreshing it, at least once a month or so.  So, if you get someone else to develop your site for you, keep that in mind.  Will you be able to update it yourself, or will you have to get someone else to do it for you?

Finally -- having your own web site is great and well worth the effort.

Jan 14 13 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Lee Studios

San Diego, California, US

Go with site5.com over godaddy.
Cheaper
support is much more technically versed
24/7 live support
multiple server sites around the USA.
They are capable of handling the newest version of PHP which many are not able to.

Used them for every site I have created and had no issues.
Highly recommened
Best,
Jay

Jan 14 13 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Just a word of caution when using CMS or php driven sites.

With shared hosting services (particularly the cheaper/discount ones), they 'throttle' usage. Typically this throttling is less than intelligent and it simply prohibits new processes/threads from being created after a non-published threshhold. Often it will indiscriminately kill existing processes/threads to save resources.
This causes CMS and php driven sites to fail unexpectedly and in inconsistent ways.
Technical support personnel are not typically at the skill level to help.
Also the fact that actual resource limits (cpu,memory,threads, sockets, etc) are not published and typically withheld from customers, it is near impossible to resolve the ongoing failures.

Jan 14 13 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

SoCo n Lime

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

I learned enough about sites and later content managed sites alongside my photo studying days ..

it was more to do with the need to update and have full creative control as its one thing having the ideas but another finding someone that gets what your thinking and doesn't charge £200 plus each update

Jan 14 13 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

I went threw Go Daddy for my www.com and the web site is SmugMug

Jan 14 13 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

KA Style

Syracuse, New York, US

Jay Lee Studios wrote:
Don't go wordpress. It is definitely over used and does not give you the functionality you need. I used it, and it even the $85 theme i purchased never really looked the way I wanted it too. As well as if any other photographer had the theme I looked just like the rest of them.

Go with a custom developer.

Never paid that much for a really nice theme and if you private host you can customize the HTML and back end FTP so you dont look like another. smile You can also alway go with a developer to customize.

SEO is the poo with WP over any other sites Ive used.

As long as I dont look like anyone local to me I dont care about the guy/gal thats 1000 miles away.

Jan 14 13 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Lefebvre

Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Holly Summers wrote:
I don't know nearly as much about this sort of thing as you all do I'm sure...  That being said I have a wix site that I linked to a domain name I bought.  I've not gotten any bad reviews yet. It's cheap and easy to use. Take a look and let me know what you think...
www.ahollywoodsummer.com
smile

This is nothing against you but WIX code is utter garbage!

Typical WIX garbage code ... page generates 720 Errors and 1 warning when trying to validate. Why do they even bother declaring a doc type if they won't follow the standards.

I mean! HONESTLY! the WIDTH parameter has been deprecated for ages now on elements ... you do that shit in CSS!

Humm ... I just validated mine (handcoded by myself) 16 stupid little errors ... let ye who is withouth sin cast the first stone and all. Need to fix those.

Jan 14 13 05:33 pm Link

Model

Holly Hoxter

Richmond, Virginia, US

So much for no bad reviews lol.

Jan 15 13 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Jeffries Photography

Long Beach, California, US

I started out programming my own sites and actually worked for a company doing it for a while. Once I realized the ease of some of these web platforms I switched over and have stuck with them ever since. Like everyone else I use Wordpress with slightly modified template I purchased. Saved me weeks of development to get nearly identical results and it cost me very little.

I use 1and1.com, I have used and worked with many other webhosts but end up back at 1and1 everytime because of their no hidden fees. What you see is what you pay.

Jan 15 13 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

I have a HTML and a few WordPress websites. I use Godaddy and Hostgator and don't really have a bad thing to say about either.

Jan 15 13 10:24 am Link