Forums > General Industry > Photographers - MM account brought you business?

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Eight year member... went from a 2 to a 1 within the 3 to 4 years... wink

Jan 21 13 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

That's like asking....

Has Facebook made you more social?   smile

This internet stuff is a hot air balloon ride.  It's just for fun....real businessmen ride jets.

Jan 21 13 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Eyesso wrote:
That's like asking....

Has Facebook made you more social?   smile

This internet stuff is a hot air balloon ride.  It's just for fun....real businessmen ride jets.

and successful people like Mark Zuckerberg can own jets.
From a silly little network site called facebook..
People who know, network..
Facebook has been good too, for business...

Jan 21 13 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

Herb Way wrote:
Not a single dime despite the fact that I've been here since 2005, one of the first 1,000 people to sign up!

I made thousands the first couple of years as I signed up in the first month or so, but nothing in the last couple of years...

Jan 21 13 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

MCmodeling

Sonora, California, US

Contacts yes cash in the pocket nope.

Jan 21 13 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

whaze

Chicago, Illinois, US

3- Never.

Met a lot of great models, make up artists and fellow photographers thru it (like many have already said as a networking tool).

But it has introduced me to what "flakes" and "flaking out" means now. So it's been a free education as well.

Jan 21 13 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Pagemaker Studios

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I have been on MM since December 2011. I have met many models from here done lots of TF shoot and have been paid for dozens of shoots from models here on MM I have made close to $2.500.00 Last year and look forward to getting more paid shoots this year. I still do tons of TF shoots as well.

Jan 21 13 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Greg H. wrote:
General question to everyone reading this, has your MM account brought you profitable business? Honest opinions please.

Being on llamamayhem does not bring me a direct "profit" however I make money through creation of images that will drive traffic from other social websites on the Internet to specific websites, events, and products I maybe marketing. 

Modelmayhem has been very productive in finding llamas or others to work with and sharing of ideas.   MM as a marketing tool?  Yes!  A social site to hang out?  Yes!  Place to find llamas and run casting calls?  Of course!   Getting hired from the website?  Not very often.   For an example, many of my shoots from here are TFP or testing to see if a llama will work out for future projects.

I'd say about a little over half are those type of shoots I schedule from here ... say around 6/10's. Then 3/10's are shoots where I pay the llamas, and the final 1/10 is about how many shoots I get hired by a llama.  As my need for content increases, then I expect to to be paying more llamas.  Perhaps the number of llamas paying me for content for their own websites shall increase too.   

This is a great website for marketing and casting, but I've never expected to gain a direct profit from being on llamamayhem.   If you google my name though, it seems my llamamayhem account comes up before anything else does!

Jan 21 13 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Cash? Hell no. Not a dime.

But that's not why I'm here. I'm here to learn, practice my photo skills, develop my vision and network and am looking  for like minded individuals.

Jan 21 13 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
Never

MM has brought me useful llamas, many contacts from not so useful llamas,  many solicitations from llamas not fitting my concepts or wanting to be paid

MM has brought me some interesting bits of information

MM has brought me a few production team people

Facebook has brought me a lot of my clients,  and quite a higher percentage of useful llamas and production team people

My publications in indie zines have brought clients designers llamas and production team people as well

Thank you again Fotografica Gregor.

Jan 22 13 04:54 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

A N D E R S O N wrote:

You won't find them, I have the spooky downstairs office with the MM X-Files.

If you can stomach seeing all the gross tf wedding and headshot offers you can find a couple honest gigs haha...

smile

Jan 22 13 04:56 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

-JAY- wrote:
Couple hundred here and there, but not much.

The entirety of my boudoir portfolio is made up of MM models - and those images sell me to clients over and over - MM has indirectly made me money.

Thanks

Jan 22 13 04:57 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Nope, but my portfolio does.  This site isn't for clients, it's for us (the creatives) to network together to maybe win clients.  We talk, share ideas, build our portfolios, and talk about what is going on in the business - that hopefully guides us to clients.

Anthony, Thank you for your opinion.

Jan 22 13 04:59 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

PTPhotoUT wrote:
Business, NO

Headaches, YES

smile  Thank you for your opinion.

Jan 22 13 05:01 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Thanks GCobb, PhotographybyT, JAE, Caveman, and Abbitt.

Jan 22 13 05:05 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
Insignificant of $. Some people just call that chump change. Not even enough to pay for my VIP here.

Thanks.

Jan 22 13 05:07 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Bravo Magic Images wrote:
MM is like standing in line at the DMV. Sooner or later your number is going to get called and when that time comes be ready or else you will  get thrown back to the end of the line.

smile Thank you.

Jan 22 13 05:08 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Swank Photography wrote:

When I first got here years ago yeah a decent amount. But over the years it has been greatly reduced to my doing only selctive picking on here now.

In fact I am hardly ever on here, other to check my messages about once a week if that.

The majority of my business actually comes from Facebook and Twitter (and my Gallery).

Thanks for your opinion. smile

Jan 22 13 05:12 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Herb Way wrote:
Not a single dime despite the fact that I've been here since 2005, one of the first 1,000 people to sign up!

MM is a nice place for some degree of inspiration, exchanging information, displaying and getting feedback on my work, and artistic play, but that's about it. I've done several TFCD shoots with models that I've found here and it was a good source of models for my book of photographs.

My photography income comes from weddings, events, portraits and occasional sales of my fine art phootography. My website, Facebook page, and word of mouth referrrals make it happen.

Thank you.

Jan 22 13 05:14 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

GPS Studio Services wrote:
I use MM to hire and book models.  By having models, I make much of my income.  So, MM has been an important part of my business model.

I have made money off of MM, but it is a foggy thing.  There have definitely been studio renters that have come from MM.   I put on events, but I don't generally advertise them on MM because most of my clients come from other places.  On the other hand, most of my workshop clients are MM members and some have heard about me because I have posted on the forums and they have looked at my profile.

I have shot two portfolios from MM.  To be fair though, I don't generally shoot portfolios.  In both cases I was approached and agreed to do it.  I don't solicit that kind of work.

Beyond that, nothing at all, but I never have used MM to market my services.  My commercial and web clients find me from other places. 

All of that having been said, and I will repeat it, MM has been a great source of models.

Thanks.

Jan 22 13 05:17 am Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

I have picked up a few paying jobs here and there but IMO MM is for giggles.

My work comes from my web site, work of mouth, referrals and the magazine work I do.

I have found a few MUA's on here and worked with a few models but I mostly pull from agencies.

Less headaches.

Jan 22 13 05:18 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Philipe wrote:
Model Mayhem has been very kind.
All my photography expenses, cameras lights etc.. are paid through work from MM clients, it also pays for other bills and living expenses... Plus the photography work I get outside MM supports me too.. I have no fame, I'm not famous and I would not say I'm a successful photographer. I'm a working photographer (big difference)..
I do a job that I enjoy and it supports me... Until I get in a major fashion magazine I'm still just an average photographer.. I love what I do and the people I work with.

I give Model Mayhem a 1.
Its been good...

Philipe, Thanks for sharing your perspective. smile

Jan 22 13 05:18 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Thanks - Cspine, Andrew, DanaBarrett

Jan 22 13 05:20 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Select Models and Eyesso, thank you both.

Jan 22 13 05:23 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

joeyk wrote:

I made thousands the first couple of years as I signed up in the first month or so, but nothing in the last couple of years...

JoeyK, Thanks for sharing. smile

Jan 22 13 05:24 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

MCPHOTO, whaze, and pagemaker studios, thanks.

Jan 22 13 05:26 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Being on Modelmayhem does not bring me a direct "profit" however I make money through creation of images that will drive traffic from other social websites on the Internet to specific websites, events, and products I maybe marketing. 

Modelmayhem has been very productive in finding models or others to work with and sharing of ideas.   MM as a marketing tool?  Yes!  A social site to hang out?  Yes!  Place to find models and run casting calls?  Of course!   Getting hired from the website?  Not very often.   For an example, many of my shoots from here are TFP or testing to see if a model will work out for future projects.

I'd say about a little over half are those type of shoots I schedule from here ... say around 6/10's. Then 3/10's are shoots where I pay the models, and the final 1/10 is about how many shoots I get hired by a model.  As my need for content increases, then I expect to to be paying more models.  Perhaps the number of models paying me for content for their own websites shall increase too.   

This is a great website for marketing and casting, but I've never expected to gain a direct profit from being on Modelmayhem.   If you google my name though, it seems my Modelmayhem account comes up before anything else does!

Thanks Patrick

Jan 22 13 05:29 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

ChiMo wrote:
Cash? Hell no. Not a dime.

But that's not why I'm here. I'm here to learn, practice my photo skills, develop my vision and network and am looking  for like minded individuals.

smile.  Thanks.

Jan 22 13 05:29 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Thank you IBS

Jan 22 13 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Greg H. wrote:
General question to everyone reading this, has your MM account brought you profitable business?

As a commercial photographer not really...

Albeit on my Make-Up Artist account, yes considerable...

Greg, as in any commercial endeavor supply and demand weight heavily into the equation of achieving profitability in a highly competitive the marketplace...

While yes, occasionally I do get a paid assignment from Mayhem however the the actual worth/value from Mayhem (in my humble estimation) comes from the fountainhead of industry knowledge gleaned... i.e. this thread as an example....  the Forum devoted to Photography does indeed have considerable worth/value to me as does the Digital Art Forum... yet you have to become rather proficient at winnowing through the trivial subject matter... there are pearls amongst all the clutter...     

From your BIO Greg...

Encouraging Word:

Know that “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble

this rings so very true... 

A mighty fortress is our God... Martin Luther

Jan 22 13 06:34 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Thank you very much.

Jan 22 13 07:30 am Link

Photographer

G R E G

Tampa, Florida, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

Greg H. wrote:
General question to everyone reading this, has your MM account brought you profitable business?

As a commercial photographer not really...

Albeit on my Make-Up Artist account, yes considerable...

Greg, as in any commercial endeavor supply and demand weight heavily into the equation of achieving profitability in a highly competitive the marketplace...

While yes, occasionally I do get a paid assignment from Mayhem however the the actual worth/value from Mayhem (in my humble estimation) comes from the fountainhead of industry knowledge gleaned... i.e. this thread as an example....  the Forum devoted to Photography does indeed have considerable worth/value to me as does the Digital Art Forum... yet you have to become rather proficient at winnowing through the trivial subject matter... there are pearls amongst all the clutter...     

From your BIO Greg...

this rings so very true... 

A mighty fortress is our God... Martin Luther

Thomas, I so appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Jan 22 13 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Laura Dark Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

Philipe wrote:
Model Mayhem has been very kind.
All my photography expenses, cameras lights etc.. are paid through work from MM clients, it also pays for other bills and living expenses... Plus the photography work I get outside MM supports me too.. I have no fame, I'm not famous and I would not say I'm a successful photographer. I'm a working photographer (big difference)..
I do a job that I enjoy and it supports me... Until I get in a major fashion magazine I'm still just an average photographer.. I love what I do and the people I work with.

I give Model Mayhem a 1.
Its been good...

I'm with Philipe on this.  I get lots of paid gigs from here as well.  I don't even offer TFP at all anymore unless it's with a girl who has already paid me in the past and I know I can get SOME kind of publication from it.  I've been on here for 8 years and counting. 

I give MM a 1 as well.

Jan 22 13 07:35 am Link

Body Painter

Airballin

Oakland, California, US

I've been here 4 years. I averaged about 3-4 paid jobs per year from MM
I've been on Facebook 3 years. I can only account one paid job to Facebook.
I'm a full time working artist. I'd say 98% of my business comes from real life word of mouth.

Jan 22 13 07:42 am Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I have been able to build up my port in the last year using MM contacts exclusively. I never expected MM to bring me money, I don't need it to. As long as it brings me models I am happy smile I expect my profits to come through other channels.

Jan 22 13 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Jhono Bashian

Cleveland, Ohio, US

never,  this is a personal project site for me. I don't charge the models for my time nor will I pay talent for theirs on this site.  my commercial clients don't see these images, some would probably like to but I don't share them.

Jan 22 13 07:48 am Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

The question seems rather myopic (def: A visual defect in which distant objects appear blurred because their images are focused in front of the retina rather than on it; nearsightedness.), which is the perspective I find many photographers and models on this site have.

I use this site as a resource. I've gotten great input from photographers in the forum here. I've found models for various projects I've worked on. I've found hot chicks to shoot for fun in my down time. I've used it to build my commercial portfolio. I've found h/mua's to work with. All of these things have helped me become a better and more marketable photographer.

You gotta look at the big picture.

Jan 22 13 09:05 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i've never booked any paying work directly from mayhem. one model brought her family in for a shoot and we charged them a modest fee.

for me this is a place to learn, have fun shooting models and trash talk in the forums.

there are guys (and gals) who say they get paid by models but they are usually operating at a high level.

Jan 22 13 09:08 am Link

Photographer

MC Photo

New York, New York, US

I did one paid shoot that was $1k for half a day of shooting plus post, but that's not really what MM is for.

Jan 22 13 09:47 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

3. never

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Jan 22 13 09:52 am Link