Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Karate Kid Mr. Miyabi

Photographer

Quang Dang

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Are you a fan of Karate Kid original movies (not the remake one with Jackie Chan)? Were you born in this era to appreciate Mr. Miyagi's philosophy and sense of humor?

This movie inspired me to take Martial Arts lesson. Back then, I remember doing Wack on, wack off all the time after seeing it and of course I didn't forget to breath, very important LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g-DciRuXQE

Jan 29 13 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Miyagi.

Jan 29 13 04:01 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Mr. Miyagi

Jan 29 13 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Jan 29 13 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

lol....Wax on , Wax off

Jan 29 13 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

San Diego Country Estates, California, US

Quang Dang wrote:
... I remember doing Wack on, wack off  ...

neutral

Jan 29 13 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Quang Dang

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Lawrence Guy wrote:

neutral

Hahaha! I mean Wax on, wax off like a circle...

Jan 29 13 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Kyle T Edwards

St Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Wax on, wax off, and paint the fence!  Yeah, I loved that series!!  I never did see the remake; I just couldn't bear to see what they'd done to such a classic.

Jan 29 13 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

Quang Dang wrote:
... I remember doing Wack on, wack off  ...

yo
us do all wrong ...

is wack off, Wack on

Jan 29 13 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Caveman Creations

Addison, Texas, US

Daniel: "Wow Mr. Miyagi! Can you do that?"
Mr. Miyagi: "Don't know. Never been attack by tree."
Genius! big_smile

Jan 29 13 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Quang Dang wrote:
Are you a fan of Karate Kid original movies (not the remake one with Jackie Chan)? Were you born in this era to appreciate Mr. Miyagi's philosophy and sense of humor?

This movie inspired me to take Martial Arts lesson. Back then, I remember doing Wack on, wack off all the time after seeing it and of course I didn't forget to breath, very important LOL!

The kid (Ralph [insert crazy italian last name]) doesn't appear to have aged at all. I wonder if people still think of that one girl in the third karate kid movie. Jackie Chan doesn't even know karate I believe. lol. He's Chinese.

Jan 29 13 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Quang Dang wrote:
Back then, I remember doing Wack on, wack off all the time after seeing it and of course I didn't forget to breath, very important LOL!

I'm getting a visual here. I'm not sure it is the visual you want me to have lol

Jan 29 13 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
Miyagi.

Wasabi!

Jan 29 13 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:

The kid (Ralph [insert crazy italian last name]) doesn't appear to have aged at all. I wonder if people still think of that one girl in the third karate kid movie. Jackie Chan doesn't even know karate I believe. lol. He's Chinese.

Not sure if that's No. 3, but the girl was the future Oscar winning actress Hilary Swank, who later did "Million Dollar Baby"...

But I think I saw the Karate Kid movie with Hilary only once... I liked her cute look... but thought that the movie was rather flat and never watched it again...

Jan 29 13 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

EdwardKristopher

Tempe, Arizona, US

Quang Dang wrote:

:-)

Jan 29 13 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Gogar

Göteborg, Västra Götaland, Sweden

udor wrote:
Not sure if that's No. 3, but the girl was the future Oscar winning actress Hilary Swank, who later did "Million Dollar Baby"...

But I think I saw the Karate Kid movie with Hilary only once... I liked her cute look... but thought that the movie was rather flat and never watched it again...

Nah. She did Karate Kid 4, no Ralph Macchio in that one. And best forgotten.

Jan 30 13 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Quang Dang wrote:

I'm guessing, since you were a teenager, you focused more on the "wacking off" part.  lol

Jan 30 13 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Andialu

San Pedro, California, US

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7019169024/h834A341C/

Jan 30 13 07:15 am Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

Gogar wrote:
Nah. She did Karate Kid 4, no Ralph Maggio in that one. And best forgotten.

https://www.badmovies.org/othermovies/karatekidiii/karatekidiii4.jpg

Robyn Lively is just a tv actress now, looking at her IMDB page all she does is bit parts.

Jan 30 13 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Quang Dang wrote:

Hahaha! I mean Wax on, wax off like a circle...

of course you did. wink

Jan 30 13 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Kyle T Edwards wrote:
Wax on, wax off, and paint the fence!  Yeah, I loved that series!!  I never did see the remake; I just couldn't bear to see what they'd done to such a classic.

It's actually not bad and I wouldn't call it a remake.  It just follows very similar plot lines and they call it Kung Fu in the movie.  I'd watch it again, though it's not nearly as good because the characters I think are too young to really match up well with the original.

Jan 30 13 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:

It's actually not bad and I wouldn't call it a remake.  It just follows very similar plot lines and they call it Kung Fu in the movie.  I'd watch it again, though it's not nearly as good because the characters I think are too young to really match up well with the original.

my thoughts exactly... i ended up buying the blueray for my kids, but i typically walk out of the room when they put it on...

the original part 1 and 2 are it for me... the other sequels to it were just blah for me...

Jan 30 13 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Michael Anthony wrote:

my thoughts exactly... i ended up buying the blueray for my kids, but i typically walk out of the room when they put it on...

the original part 1 and 2 are it for me... the other sequels to it were just blah for me...

2 is passable.  3 is just too...out there.  That whole revenge thing against this Daniel and Mr. Miyagi.  Plus...I think the "bad boy" of Karate would have been disqualified as it was pretty obvious as to what he was doing. I know I know...it's a MOVIE...but come on!! tongue

Jan 30 13 08:26 am Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

The remake actually wasn't bad, but I still like the original. The third one was laughable, though. Daniel had gone from fighting for his life in KK2, and kicking Chozen's ass, to being a whiny baby at the hands of Mike Barnes in KK3.

Jan 30 13 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

https://spectrumculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/karate-kid1.jpg

Jan 30 13 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

James S wrote:
The remake actually wasn't bad, but I still like the original. The third one was laughable, though. Daniel had gone from fighting for his life in KK2, and kicking Chozen's ass, to being a whiny baby at the hands of Mike Barnes in KK3.

right!!  He was fighting to the DEATH in Japan.  Now he's in a safe sanctioned Karate tournament in the valley and he's scared?

Jan 30 13 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Frances Jewel wrote:

https://www.badmovies.org/othermovies/karatekidiii/karatekidiii4.jpg

Robyn Lively is just a tv actress now, looking at her IMDB page all she does is bit parts.

Actually, that shot is from Karate Kid 3.  Lively played Daniel's girlfriend.  Hillary Swank was in "The Next Karate Kid" (Karate Kid 4)

Jan 31 13 04:03 am Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

Mike Collins wrote:

Actually, that shot is from Karate Kid 3.  Lively played Daniel's girlfriend.  Hillary Swank was in "The Next Karate Kid" (Karate Kid 4)

Yea, and we were talking about 3. As i stated, and named the actress for 3.

Reading, it's fundamental.

Jan 31 13 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

Interesting side story a friend of mine, married this Japanese woman, a few years later met Pat Morita. And left him. Never got over the fact "miyagi " caused the breakup of my friends marriage.

Feb 01 13 12:47 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I actually enjoyed the remakeingingerpretation a lot.

Jayden played excellent... although it's Kung Fu, he is a real life martial arts practitioner and I think a much more talented actor than Ralph Macchio.

I was very pleased about the new one, updated for the times of cellphones and texting... smile

Feb 01 13 02:38 am Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

right!!  He was fighting to the DEATH in Japan.  Now he's in a safe sanctioned Karate tournament in the valley and he's scared?

In part 2, he was fighting for a girl he loved, and he had a whole village supporting him.
That gave him courage.

In part 1, he had his girlfriend cheering him on.

In part 3, he had no girlfriend cheering him on.

He was always braver when a girl he cared for was watching...

Feb 01 13 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I'm of the opinion that you watch the first one and bail out there. No point in watching the sequels and getting all upset.  smile

Feb 01 13 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Mike Collins wrote:

Frances Jewel wrote:
Yea, and we were talking about 3. As i stated, and named the actress for 3.

Reading, it's fundamental.

May I rub salt in the wound?  She did NOT play his girlfriend. They were just friends.  I don't think they even kissed.

Feb 01 13 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

DEP E510 wrote:

In part 2, he was fighting for a girl he loved, and he had a whole village supporting him.
That gave him courage.

In part 1, he had his girlfriend cheering him on.

In part 3, he had no girlfriend cheering him on.

He was always braver when a girl he cared for was watching...

That's true...damn those bullies!!

Feb 01 13 07:19 am Link