Forums > Model Colloquy > Will not pay me cause I have not done any paid job

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

Darren Brade wrote:

you're travel notice also says you're being sarcastic, after that it is very difficult to be taken seriously.

Come on now, its says I will work for Peanuts, meaning very little money

Sep 08 13 03:53 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

So am I wrong when I say, agencies sign inexperienced models frequently and their clients hire inexperienced models often? I am certain they are not getting paid shoots for $35 an hour. Am I wrong on both?

Sep 08 13 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

PamelaDilara wrote:
Is it impossible for a photographer to shoot a model with no experience and not great photos? I thought photographers were suppose to be creative, give guidance, etc.

The photographers job is to tell you the theme of the shoot, give you some guidance in your posing, make you comfortable, make sure the lighting is right and take great photos.

Photographers aren't there to show you how to do YOUR job. You have to do the expressing and mood for the pictures and if you've never did a shoot with a photographer before to see if you can even model. Don't expect to get paid.

Photographers aren't there to baby sit you sweetheart wink

Sep 08 13 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

OP: this is not in the critique forum, so I can't really give you advice on how to obtain paid work, but if someone does not agree to the terms of your casting, simply move on. I will say though as others have mentioned that you need more than cell phone shots in your portfolio to prove that you have modeling experience. good luck

Sep 08 13 04:04 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

So am I wrong when I say, agencies sign inexperienced models frequently and their clients hire inexperienced models often? I am certain they are not getting paid shoots for $35 an hour. Am I wrong on both?

Sep 08 13 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

You're legal to work in the U.S.? Which may mean that I couldn't pay, but I'm not seeing a reason to pay regardless. Paid modeling may be less instant, more complicated and more work than it initially seemed.

Nonetheless, best of luck.

Sep 08 13 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

PamelaDilara wrote:

Agencies sign inexperienced models and than start grooming them to become great models. How do they do that? By making them do test shoots (unpaid shoots) with photographers for their portfolio. And sometimes it's the photographer that gets paid to take those pictures of the inexperience models.

Some clients book inexperience models because they can't afford the ones that are experience and have a lot of work under their belt. But even those inexperience models get lessons from their agency about poses, expression, professionalism and so on. They aren't going to go sees with a snap shot from their phone.

Sep 08 13 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

PamelaDilara wrote:

It may happen if the model has such a fantastic look that they really want her bad.

Sep 08 13 04:11 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

Thank you Erlinda and Jerry

Sep 08 13 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich II

San Diego, California, US

PamelaDilara wrote:

Not necessarily wrong.

But they sure as shit are NOT booking those jobs with four selfie photos.

Sep 08 13 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich II

Epic Model Mayhem thread.

Sep 08 13 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

PamelaDilara wrote:

An inexperienced model is only going to be hired by a photographer for a personal project.  If a photographer is doing work for a paying client he is not going to jeopardize his own reputation by using an inexperienced model that can't deliver what is needed.  Similarly, an agency is not going to send an inexperienced model out to do a job and jeopardize their reputation.  A photographer may use an inexperienced model for a personal project since there won't be any real negative results if the shoot does not turn out well.

As mentioned, an agency might like an inexperienced model but they are going to spend a lot of time training her before they send her out on any jobs.

Sep 08 13 04:19 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

ChiMo II wrote:

Not necessarily wrong.

Not the point, but I am not comparing myself to agency models or photographers that shoot them, point I am making is I am not going to do a TF shoot with a bad photographer, I will learn nothing from him and expect that a bad photographer just wants a pretty girl in front of the camera.

Sep 08 13 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich II

ChiMo II wrote:
Not necessarily wrong.

PamelaDilara wrote:
Not the point, but I am not comparing myself to agency models or photographers that shoot them, point I am making is I am not going to do a TF shoot with a bad photographer, I will learn nothing from him and expect that a bad photographer just wants a pretty girl in front of the camera.

So test with a GOOD photographer.

Also, read this several times. Lots of good info:

http://www.newmodels.com/

Sep 08 13 04:25 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

Top Gun Digital wrote:

An inexperienced model is only going to be hired by a photographer for a personal project.  If a photographer is doing work for a paying client he is not going to jeopardize his own reputation by using an inexperienced model that can't deliver what is needed.  Similarly, an agency is not going to send an inexperienced model out to do a job and jeopardize their reputation.  A photographer may use an inexperienced model for a personal project since there won't be any real negative results if the shoot does not turn out well.

As mentioned, an agency might like an inexperienced model but they are going to spend a lot of time training her before they send her out on any jobs.

Makes lots of sense and I am so glad that some awesome and established photographers in Miami want to do a TF shoot with me

Sep 08 13 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

PamelaDilara wrote:
ME - No I can not, but new models get agency representation often and are also hired by clients often

Agency's will send inexperienced models on assignments and these models do get kicked of the shoot........ shit hits the fan whilst the agency tries to find a replacement.... it happens.

A photographer does not have the time or patience to teach a new model when there's $ involved.
" If the photographers having to do all the talking the models not doing her/his job".

Sep 08 13 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

PamelaDilara wrote:

Makes lots of sense and I am so glad that some awesome and established photographers in Miami want to do a TF shoot with me

Do those TF shoots with those awesome photographers and build up your experience and your portfolio.  Eventually you will get good enough to get the paid work that you are looking for.

Sep 08 13 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich II

Top Gun Digital wrote:
Do those TF shoots with those awesome photographers and build up your experience and your portfolio.  Eventually you will get good enough to get the paid work that you are looking for.

Yep.

Sep 08 13 04:33 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

Agency's will send inexperienced models on assignments and these models do get kicked of the shoot........ shit hits the fan whilst the agency tries to find a replacement.... it happens.

A photographer does not have the time or patience to teach a new model when there's $ involved.
" If the photographers having to do all the talking the models not doing her/his job".

Like the skinny 13, 14 and 15 year olds that are drop dead gorgeous and 5'9"

Sep 08 13 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Hi_Spade Photography

Florence, South Carolina, US

PamelaDilara wrote:

Pretty much.

Sep 08 13 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Beyond the Physical

HOLMDEL, New Jersey, US

Ok here's a thought ... I'll pay you your hourly rate ... I will expect a model that knows how to pose and how to change her poses the moment the camera snaps a picture, will know how to change  her facial expressions when I say show me sadness, knows what a broken doll is and can jump in heels.

No here's the catch ...

BUT ... the moment I have to show you how to pose or how to display a feeling you will then forfeit your hourly rate and then pay my hourly rate.

So do you think you have the experience and know how to accept this challenge?

Sep 08 13 04:44 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

Beyond the Physical wrote:
Ok here's a thought ... I'll pay you your hourly rate ... I will expect a model that knows how to pose and how to change her poses the moment the camera snaps a picture, will know how to change  her facial expressions when I say show me sadness, knows what a broken doll is and can jump in heels.

No here's the catch ...

BUT ... the moment I have to show you how to pose or how to display a feeling you will then forfeit your hourly rate and then pay my hourly rate.

So do you think you have the experience and know how to accept this challenge?

LOL you are obviously not a bad photographer, so as soon as I have more experience we can do that, but my rate will be significantly higher then $35 an hour

Sep 08 13 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

Erlinda wrote:

Agencies sign inexperienced models and than start grooming them to become great models. How do they do that? By making them do test shoots (unpaid shoots) with photographers for their portfolio. And sometimes it's the photographer that gets paid to take those pictures of the inexperience models.

Some clients book inexperience models because they can't afford the ones that are experience and have a lot of work under their belt. But even those inexperience models get lessons from their agency about poses, expression, professionalism and so on. They aren't going to go sees with a snap shot from their phone.

+1

Sep 08 13 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

PamelaDilara wrote:

Not quiet any model with the lack of experience.... hence the purpose of testing.

You may find a lot of MM gwc don't care if a model can pose or not as long as their pretty and have a good pair of tits.
And maybe they'll get that lucky shot after they've shot their 200 frame.

Also give me a reason why you should get paid ? looking at your casting, what do you as they say bring to the table ?

Sep 08 13 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Pembroke Pines, Florida, US

ChiMo II wrote:
Epic Model Mayhem thread.

Lmao yessir

Sep 08 13 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

PamelaDilara wrote:

I see you are going to work with: https://www.modelmayhem.com/134276  He's awesome!   I know you think $35.00 or $45.00 hour is peanuts but it isn't.   Its actually more per hour then most editorial work pays models.   The biggest problem though is nothing you have suggests you are worth paying.   Especially in a area filled with beautiful models who have good portfolios.   Don't get me wrong you are beautiful.   I would focus on building my book.   The better shooters won't generally pay and you need good images.

Sep 08 13 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

PamelaDilara wrote:

LOL you are obviously not a bad photographer, so as soon as I have more experience we can do that, but my rate will be significantly higher then $35 an hour

I saw your casting then saw your Images then saw your rates and kept moving on......

Sep 08 13 04:59 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

I see you are going to work with: https://www.modelmayhem.com/134276  He's awesome!   I know you think $35.00 or $45.00 hour is peanuts but it isn't.   Its actually more per hour then most editorial work pays models.   The biggest problem though is nothing you have suggests you are worth paying.   Especially in a area filled with beautiful models who have good portfolios.   Don't get me wrong you are beautiful.   I would focus on building my book.   The better shooters won't generally pay and you need good images.

Yeap he is awesome - I would do a TF shoot if it were to get me the exposure in an editorial magazine

Sep 08 13 04:59 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

1472 wrote:
I saw your casting then saw your Images then saw your rates and kept moving on......

Cool, but then again, you are not a bad photographer, the guy I am talking about sucks

Sep 08 13 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence wrote:

How did you figure that they are going to shoot with each other

Sep 08 13 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

PamelaDilara wrote:

Cool, but then again, you are not a bad photographer, the guy I am talking about sucks

Ahh thanks ma'am but yeah shoot with good ppl then bring the rates along after your book has developed.

Sep 08 13 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

Do you really want to work with a photographer that sucks just be cause he pays?

Sep 08 13 05:05 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

myfotographer wrote:
Do you really want to work with a photographer that sucks just be cause he pays?

Why should I not?

Sep 08 13 05:10 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

I assume the photographer saw this thread and I just got from him this - oh well

"If I suck and your pics are way worse than mine, what does that make of you? Your freaking delusional at best on a good day.!

Your not even a real model. Like I said, make use of your time in Miami and get a good tan".

Sep 08 13 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

PamelaDilara wrote:
I assume the photographer saw this thread and I just got from him this - oh well

"If I suck and your pics are way worse than mine, what does that make of you? Your freaking delusional at best on a good day.!

Your not even a real model. Like I said, make use of your time in Miami and get a good tan".

Lmao. Number one thing you should learn is that photographers are BIG babies. lol

Sep 08 13 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda wrote:

Lmao. Number one thing you should learn is that photographers are BIG babies. lol

Lmao truth ahahaha

Sep 08 13 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

PamelaDilara wrote:

Yeap he is awesome - I would do a TF shoot if it were to get me the exposure in an editorial magazine

Thats just not how it works.   You need solid work to compete with other models.   Editorials are usually booked with a models agency.   At least one good shooter noted your rate and passed on you.   I encourage you to develop your book.   On that note.   Charging photographers to shoot non nude fashion or glamor shots isn't a good business plan.   Once you are listed with a agency they and you want images that make you look great.   Charge clients.   Agency models test for free to build their portfolios.   My advice might be different if you weren't signed.   Other things to consider.   Can you legally work here?   If I were you I would search this site by the zip code of where you'll be staying.

Ask photographers whose work you like if they will test with you.

Sep 08 13 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

PamelaDilara wrote:

MM is full of dreamers.

Sep 08 13 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

PamelaDilara wrote:

No,,and yes. But you are not agency signed. But even newly signed agency models spend time doing a lot of TFP to get their professional portfolio done. Maybe even have to pay some real pros to shoot them as well. You have photos that just barely meet MM's MINIMUN requirement.s NONE that show that you can actually "model" or even how well you photograph. If you were to add a few more professional images your chances of finding paid non nude work might increase.

Sep 08 13 05:21 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

Sep 08 13 05:21 pm Link