Forums > Model Colloquy > Will not pay me cause I have not done any paid job

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

R Michael Walker wrote:

No,,and yes. But you are not agency signed. But even newly signed agency models spend time doing a lot of TFP to get their professional portfolio done. Maybe even have to pay some real pros to shoot them as well. You have photos that just barely meet MM's MINIMUN requirement.s NONE that show that you can actually "model" or even how well you photograph. If you were to add a few more professional images your chances of finding paid non nude work might increase.

Good point, but I have already said that I have done some shoots and will post when I get edited images from those photographers and that I am also going to do some TF with some awesome photographers in Miami

Sep 08 13 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Hi_Spade Photography

Florence, South Carolina, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

MM is full of dreamers.

LOL!! +1000 wink.

Sep 08 13 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

PamelaDilara wrote:
I started this to get other peoples opinion

My opinion is that you should move on to other photographers.  If you don't like his work, you need not work with him.  Keep searching.

Sep 08 13 05:24 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

MM is full of dreamers.

I understood, but my point was "Yeap he is awesome - I would do a TF shoot if it were to get me the exposure in an editorial magazine".

I am not comparing myself to agency models that get those editorials. I have also said I am doing TF shoots with some great photographers, including the one that has been previously identified

Sep 08 13 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

PamelaDilara wrote:

Good point, but I have already said that I have done some shoots and will post when I get edited images from those photographers and that I am also going to do some TF with some awesome photographers in Miami

You are lucky.

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

My opinion is that you should move on to other photographers.  If you don't like his work, you need not work with him.  Keep searching.

It is the plan

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

PamelaDilara wrote:
I understood, but my point was "Yeap he is awesome - I would do a TF shoot if it were to get me the exposure in an editorial magazine".

I am not comparing myself to agency models that get those editorials. I have also said I am doing TF shoots with some great photographers, including the one that has been previously identified

We all must make judgments that way.  You do what you think is right for you. 
Best wishes!

Sep 08 13 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

PamelaDilara wrote:

You keep writing this as if it's going to magically make sense the 5th time you write it.

Sep 08 13 05:28 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

You keep writing this as if it's going to magically make sense the 5th time you write it.

People keep making the same statement or point, so I am responding specifically to them.

Sep 08 13 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

It's the Internet, there are dumbasses everywhere!!!

Sep 08 13 05:33 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

GER Photography wrote:
It's the Internet, there are dumbasses everywhere!!!

Not only in the internet!

Sep 08 13 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

DesiredLooksPhotography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I only pay models who have experience and are worth being paid.

I second this not that you are not worth it but you haven't put in the time yet. if the port doesnt show then you might get paid but thephotos they want you may not want to do.. i run into this all the time models who want to ge paid and get in front of the cam and pretty much freeze. if i pay you gotta be ready!!!

Sep 08 13 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Pamela, photographers who might have considered paying you might not if they saw this thread.   Are you trying to improve your book or make a few bucks?   If I were your agent I wouldn't want you shooting with random people.   Miami is full of beautiful women.   Its a large market for models.   Many of whom do swimsuits and lingerie.   You want to be paid for shooting in them.  Where are your swimsuits or lingerie shots?   How could someone who might consider paying to know what your figure looks like in them.   Will you be providing swim wear or the lingerie?   If photographers have to that adds on to what they will have to spend.

If are only interested in making some extra cash then none of this matters.   Odds are you will because you are pretty but if the ideal is to improve and get a good book and focus on working with professional clients and not just amateur photographers... Reconsider what you're doing.

Sep 08 13 05:41 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

DesiredLooksPhotography wrote:

I second this not that you are not worth it but you haven't put in the time yet. if the port doesnt show then you might get paid but thephotos they want you may not want to do.. i run into this all the time models who want to ge paid and get in front of the cam and pretty much freeze. if i pay you gotta be ready!!!

Yeap and if the photographer sucks I am not doing TF

Sep 08 13 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Hi_Spade Photography

Florence, South Carolina, US

PamelaDilara wrote:

Sooo, in other words, you can have bad pics and no experience and expect to be paid by experienced photographers with paying clients. Somehow, I don't see that happening.

Sep 08 13 05:50 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

Hi_Spade Photography wrote:

Sooo, in other words, you can have bad pics and no experience and expect to be paid by experienced photographers with paying clients. Somehow, I don't see that happening.

You obviously got it wrong, has been asked and answered

Sep 08 13 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

PamelaDilara wrote:

I think we all got the point and you learned some new stuff. I recommend you move on from this thread and not post about this topic anymore.

Sep 08 13 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

PamelaDilara wrote:

No one is telling you that you should.

You do trade work with photographers who can "pay" you in better images for your portfolio.  You accept payment from photographers who cannot. 

HOWEVER, you can't really expect to be paid by anyone until you have SOMETHING in your portfolio that someone might want to pay for.  This is the issue that many of the people have been trying to get through to you.

So ignore this person who responded to your paid travel notice offering a trade shoot if you don't feel that they can help you with images.  And let this thread die before you push your foot any further into your mouth.

Sep 08 13 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

Erlinda wrote:

I think we all got the point and you learned some new stuff. I recommend you move on from this thread and not post about this topic anymore.

You read my mind.

OP. I think you have gotten some good advice and there is nothing good to be gained by continuing to respond. Erlinda and Tony L. have shared some good insight. Good luck.

Sep 08 13 05:56 pm Link

Model

PamelaHermosura

Miami, Florida, US

Erlinda wrote:

I am trying, but people keep posting, so I feel obligated to reply to them

Sep 08 13 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

PamelaDilara wrote:

I am trying, but people keep posting, so I feel obligated to reply to them

Let them reply. People are saying the same things that where said in page one and two. But they don't know that cause most don't bother reading all the pages.

Not respond to anymore is the best thing you can do. Go party or something. This isn't good for you

Sep 08 13 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Square Jaw Photography

Joshua Tree, California, US

PamelaDilara wrote:

I think the reason why you keep getting the same responses is because we're trying to drive home a point you haven't gotten yet; You say he's a bad photographer and he sucks, and yet you have done nothing to prove that you don't either.

We don't know this photographer. We haven't seen his images, or his comments in his own words. Yet we do know that you have no credible portfolio as of right now. You may have images on the way, but none right now. You have no experience to speak of. You say "photographers are supposed to be creative, provide guidance, etc", which sounds as if you have no clue what photographers do or how difficult it is, or what models even do for that matter. You ask for money in a casting call with no experience, then try and justify it by saying you've done the prerequisites for TF and experience. The whole thing sounds as if you know you're pretty and feel entitled to payment without the hard work many models have sweated over.

This is just my opinion, but I believe you are the one who needs the adjustment. Sorry for the "tough love" approach and the fact it's not in the critique segment, but I don't think this thread has helped you so far.

That being said, you are gorgeous and if you put in the due effort, I think you'll be a stunning model.

Photographer

Erlinda

Bryan Benoit wrote:

You read my mind.

OP. I think you have gotten some good advice and there is nothing good to be gained by continuing to respond. Erlinda and Tony L. have shared some good insight. Good luck.

Great minds think alike wink

Photographer

Trisha May Photography

Colchester, Connecticut, US

You have nothing in your portfolio that would convince me to pay you.

Sep 08 13 06:03 pm Link

Model

Janelle Kane

Los Angeles, California, US

Trisha May Photography wrote:
You have nothing in your portfolio that would convince me to pay you.

What does this have to do with the topic presented?

Sep 08 13 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

PamelaDilara wrote:

Come on now, its says I will work for Peanuts, meaning very little money

You title your casting as working for peanuts. Photographer opens casting and sees in fact you were being sarcastic and in fact have different rates with a 2 hour minimum.

Like he says, how's interested in your look and might play if you can back it up.

Perception is everything.

Sep 08 13 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Erlinda wrote:

Agencies sign inexperienced models and than start grooming them to become great models. How do they do that? By making them do test shoots (unpaid shoots) with photographers for their portfolio. And sometimes it's the photographer that gets paid to take those pictures of the inexperience models.

Some clients book inexperience models because they can't afford the ones that are experience and have a lot of work under their belt. But even those inexperience models get lessons from their agency about poses, expression, professionalism and so on. They aren't going to go sees with a snap shot from their phone.

+1

...and models get dropped from the agencies if they fail to learn,  are not professional, or clients don't book them.

Sep 08 13 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

The guy was a rude jackass if he wasn't interested in paying then why the hell waste his time messaging or replying to a paid availability notice.  Specially the rude remarks of you will have plenty of time to tan.

Sep 08 13 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

PamelaDilara wrote:

Makes lots of sense and I am so glad that some awesome and established photographers in Miami want to do a TF shoot with me

That's great and very common for Freelance Models (Model Mayhem), here you have to be both model and agency. To get the work you have to have good pictures, the only way to do that here is to pay the photographer or do TF.

You should try and squeeze in a few more local shoots in a hope to get pictures for Miami, it will make it so much easier for you.

Darren.

Sep 08 13 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada

You want him to pay you $35 an hour for the privilege of teaching you how to be a model?
That's awesome if you can make it work.

Sep 08 13 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Tomas Kibsgaard Larsen wrote:
Even though you list prices, it's still valid to ask why. If you don't have anything to show to, how could someone possibly hire you? It's like applying to a "normal" job without a cv...

PamelaDilara wrote:
Is it impossible for a photographer to shoot a model with no experience and not great photos? I thought photographers were suppose to be creative, give guidance, etc.

Good point.  Sounds like you should hire a good photographer or two and make sure you get that!

Sep 08 13 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Unless you have a US issued Work Permit and a US issued Picture ID, you cannot work in the US anyway.

It is illegal for someone to hire you if you are here on a tourist visa

You can be deported and never allowed to return to the US

And, the photographer can go to jail for working with you

Sep 08 13 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Also,
You do realize that new models in an agency situation that NEED good images to be marketable, are given a list of shooters to go to and... THE MODEL PAYS THE SHOOTER for the images?  Or, if the model is fantastic, the shooter may charge a "testing rate" that is less than their normal rate because... The model is fantastic.

Just FYI.

smile

Sep 08 13 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Unless you have a US issued Work Permit and a US issued Picture ID, you cannot work in the US anyway.

and I would expect anyone in Miami to be really careful.

Sep 08 13 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Don't base your decisions on the comments from one, two, or even several photographers.

Consider the source: Model Mayhem.

This website has a lot of amateurs on both ends, as well as people that just want to create art, regardless of their professional status.

Some artists are willing to pay, and some feel that their art speaks for itself, hence they should be compensated (money or free services from the model or photographer).

If you want to be compensated for your time, then it is your prerogative to ask for compensation. People will not offer it if it is not requested, UNLESS the person already does it professionally.  If it looks like you don't do it professionally, then they will be reluctant to offer compensation. Some take it further and come across as condescending.

If you want to build a career, doing so by looking for work in a city where, due to your possible legal status, you are not entitled to work is not a good idea.

My vacations are expensive, therefore so is my leisure time.

If someone contacts me, KNOWING that I will interrupt my vacation if I am compensated, then fine, otherwise they are wasting my time.

I think that should be your approach within areas where you are able to work.

Sep 08 13 08:10 pm Link

Model

Samantha Scarlette

New York, New York, US

All you have up are cell phone selfies... The difference with someone paying you to do a shoot, and new models getting picked up by an agency is completely different.  When someone is signed or gets a call back from an agency based off of a snap shot, the agency will usually pay (or have an in house photographer) or sometimes the model pays(to go to someone approved by the agency) to have photos done of the model to see what they're really like.  These are called test shoots.  But the model does NOT receive money from the agency until they book an actual paying gig such as a magazine or catalogue, etc.

Sep 08 13 08:17 pm Link

Model

Linsey Simpson

Yacolt, Washington, US

PamelaDilara wrote:
So I put up a travel and availability notice because I am going to be in Miami, and I get a reply from a photographer that is not that good at all and he basically says no because "you have never been paid for a shoot". I think he just wants a to not pay me at all and is giving me some bs - what you guys think?

Here is what happened

PHOTOGRAPHER - Might be interested in shooting. Will be in the Miami Beach area during the same time. Can you provide three references of photographers that have actually paid you to shoot?

Thanks in advance!

ME - No I can not, but new models get agency representation often and are also hired by clients often

PHOTOGRAPHER - That's not true and has nothing to do with the question. What exactly are you charging for?

To get paid you have to have something worth paying for. You don't at this point in your modeling.

I think you will have plenty of time to work on your tan while on your on vacation here..

But you have never been paid to shoot and have no experience. Why should a photographer have to pay you?

how was your profile even approved, haha is that a cellphone pic? wow
yeah you have no experience whatsover so i understand what the photographer was saying.

Sep 08 13 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Hi_Spade Photography wrote:

Wait, not just bad images, selfies.  Sorry, but you've got to put in a little more time than a few shoots to expect to get paid for modeling.  I mean, what if a photographer did what you are doing?  He'd get slammed left and right for being a "GWC" and told the same things you are being told.  Plus, as it's been said, why would I pay an inexperienced model who has only slefies in her port when I could pay an agency model who has solid work and a lot more experience?  See what we are trying to say here?

Sep 08 13 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

It's the law! 

How many photographers pay cash under the table?

How many models are recording it?   

We'd be breaking the law! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L397TWLwrUU

I was just dying to post this video! 

The hook keeps playing in my head "... breaking the law!"

Repeat a dozen or more time!  wink

Sep 08 13 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I think it's simple:

Photographers won't pay you more than they think you are worth.

If you are convinced you are worth more than a given offer, then pass it by in favor or better offers.

If you don't get better offers, then reconsider your previous assumption about your worth.

Sep 08 13 08:44 pm Link