This thread was locked on 2015-03-18 19:01:20
Forums > Events > Nov 2, 2014 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot' / Cabo & PV

Photographer

James Sioux

Los Angeles, California, US

Select Models wrote:

Nice guys?... DUDE... nothing but 'nice guys' in our whole group... and Carnival will NOT be allowing pirates to board the ship anytime during the cruise... lol

Oh man, I've been trying to shake off my nice guy image.... big_smile

Oct 18 14 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

James Sioux wrote:

Yeah we gotta rough you up a little bit... maybe an eye patch... and don't shave for a week... borat

Oct 18 14 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

James Sioux wrote:

Yeah we gotta rough you up a little bit... maybe an eye patch... and don't shave for a week... borat

Oct 18 14 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Select Models wrote:

Hahaha, eye patch I'll pass on that, but not shaving for a week is definitely doable.  I look like a Chinese version of Ethan Hawke.  big_smile big_smile

Oct 18 14 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

James Sioux wrote:
Hahaha, eye patch I'll pass on that, but not shaving for a week is definitely doable.  I look like a Chinese version of Ethan Hawke.  big_smile big_smile

Cool... we got a new nickname for ya then... Ethanishi Hawkesaki... borat... lol

Oct 19 14 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Bob-W

Simi Valley, California, US

They will serve you rum in the dining room to bring out your inner pirate.

Oct 20 14 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Just got a message from Amber Flood... she would definitely love to go on this cruiseshoot if there's a photographer interested in sponsoring her... wink

https://photos3.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/d/7/0/2/highres_399955042.jpeg

Oct 20 14 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Bob-W

Dining rooms:
It says "...the artful eats of the Bacchus and Ariadne dining rooms…"
It says there are two formal dining rooms.

Elsewhere on ship:
It looks like there are some really nice areas to shoot in like "gatsby's garden". Backgrounds look bright and busy, so might need to turn them into bokeh.

Oct 20 14 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Gatsby's Garden from last year.

https://www.photosalonla.org/phpbb3/download/file.php?id=59755

Oct 21 14 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Yep... Gatsby's Garden... great place to shoot... color or B&W... borat

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140206/19/52f45163abf90.jpg

Here's a shot of Jessica Edstrom last year... she's attending this cruiseshoot in a week and a half.

Oct 21 14 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Bob-W wrote:
It looks like there are some really nice areas to shoot in like "gatsby's garden". Backgrounds look bright and busy, so might need to turn them into bokeh.

Yep... one of a few fantastic places to shoot.  Shooting with a shallow depth of field will easily toss that long hallway out of focus and render some pleasing results... wink

Oct 21 14 07:41 am Link

Photographer

James Sioux

In case some of you need the address to the cruise terminal.  Parking is $15 a day if you park in the structure.  This is considered a 7-day parking.

Long Beach Cruise Terminal
231 Windsor Way
Long Beach, CA 90802

Oct 21 14 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Toothpick Productions

San Jose, California, US

Anyone heard any update on how the re-building of Cabo is coming along (from the devastating hurricane last month)??  Although since we're mainly hitting the beach/port, at least our shooting location should still be all good.  :-)

Oct 21 14 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Toothpick Productions wrote:
Anyone heard any update on how the re-building of Cabo is coming along (from the devastating hurricane last month)??  Although since we're mainly hitting the beach/port, at least our shooting location should still be all good.  :-)

Watched a few YouTube videos on 'after the hurricane'.  Most all the big hotels are 'back in business' with some of the sparatic smaller in-town businesses suffering the most on slower re-construction.  I'm thinkin by the time we are there in early November... Cabo will be very close to 100%.  The beach where we will be shooting suffered no major damage other than some slight beach sand erosion.. which won't really hamper our shooting capabilities much.  We're gonna try for 'shooting at the arch' if the tide is low enough.  I checked the tide-charts... tide on Nov 4th (day we are there) will be VERY LOW at 0.7.  That could provide us with the only opportunity of shooting at the arch IN THE LAST 6 YEARS of cruiseshoots.  Keep your fingers crossed for no off shore storms... which generate LARGE waves and higher tides... wink

Oct 22 14 01:35 am Link

Photographer

James Sioux

It would be awesome if we could shoot at the arch. 

Last time I remember the sun was still scorching when we got there.  Hopefully, it's not gonna be that hot in November.

Oct 23 14 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

James Sioux wrote:
It would be awesome if we could shoot at the arch. 

Last time I remember the sun was still scorching when we got there.  Hopefully, it's not gonna be that hot in November.

That's why I planned the cruiseshoot this year in November.  Last year in October the beaches were pretty freakin hot... with temps in the low 90's.  This year I'm betting on temps in the low to mid 80's... with water temps hovering around the 80 degree mark.  MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE beach shooting environment this time arounud... borat

Oct 23 14 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Select Models wrote:

That's why I planned the cruiseshoot this year in November.  Last year in October the beaches were pretty freakin hot... with temps in the low 90's.  This year I'm betting on temps in the low to mid 80's... with water temps hovering around the 80 degree mark.  MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE beach shooting environment this time arounud... borat

Yeah Gary.  Should be cooler this time. 

I also remember last year you hurt your foot kind of badly on a rock or something, on account of busy shooting a model of course.  This time be careful.  There's gonna be distractions all over the beaches with our model line-up this year.  LOL.

Oct 23 14 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

James Sioux wrote:
Yeah Gary.  Should be cooler this time. 

I also remember last year you hurt your foot kind of badly on a rock or something, on account of busy shooting a model of course.  This time be careful.  There's gonna be distractions all over the beaches with our model line-up this year.  LOL.

Yeah I was running around in the sand barefoot and I think I cut my foot on a piece of glass.  Didn't know what it was for sure... could have been a sharp seashell er somethin... thank God it happened towards the end of the cruise.  Limping around on a bum foot was a major pain... ;(  Gonna wear tennies or sandals on the sand and in the water this time.

Oct 23 14 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Carnival releases EBOLA email message to all guests attending this cruise... here's details:

We know there has been considerable media coverage about the Ebola virus, which has raised concerns among the public in general. We'd like to take this opportunity to provide you some important information in an effort to ease any concerns you may have.

At Carnival Cruise Lines, the safety, health and welfare of our guests, crew, and staff is always our number one priority. Therefore, we have implemented strict screening and boarding procedures following collaboration with federal and international health authorities.

At embarkation, all guests, visitors, and crew boarding our vessels must complete a mandatory health screening questionnaire prior to embarking. Those individuals who answer positively to any of the screening questions will be asked to submit to further medical screening prior to being allowed to board.

As part of our screening process, guests are asked to disclose if they have visited or traveled through countries with a US CDC Level 3 Travel Warning (any of the West African countries of Liberia, Sierra Leone, and/or Guinea). Guests must also disclose if within 21 days of their cruise departure date they have been in contact with, or helped care for someone known or suspected to have the Ebola virus, or is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to Ebola. Any individual who answers positively will be denied boarding.

Carnival and other cruise lines continue to monitor the situation closely, along with Cruise Lines International Association and our colleagues in the rest of the travel industry. We remain in close contact with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) for updates and guidance. Guests seeking more information on Ebola can visit the World Health Organization's website at www.who.int or the CDC website at www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/.

We greatly appreciate your understanding and cooperation in our efforts to safeguard our guests and crew.

Most importantly, we look forward to having you sail with us.

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC
Vice President - Guest Services

Oct 24 14 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Singh

San Clemente, California, US

Select Models wrote:
Carnival releases EBOLA email message to all guests attending this cruise... here's details:

We know there has been considerable media coverage about the Ebola virus, which has raised concerns among the public in general. We'd like to take this opportunity to provide you some important information in an effort to ease any concerns you may have.

At Carnival Cruise Lines, the safety, health and welfare of our guests, crew, and staff is always our number one priority. Therefore, we have implemented strict screening and boarding procedures following collaboration with federal and international health authorities.

At embarkation, all guests, visitors, and crew boarding our vessels must complete a mandatory health screening questionnaire prior to embarking. Those individuals who answer positively to any of the screening questions will be asked to submit to further medical screening prior to being allowed to board.

As part of our screening process, guests are asked to disclose if they have visited or traveled through countries with a US CDC Level 3 Travel Warning (any of the West African countries of Liberia, Sierra Leone, and/or Guinea). Guests must also disclose if within 21 days of their cruise departure date they have been in contact with, or helped care for someone known or suspected to have the Ebola virus, or is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to Ebola. Any individual who answers positively will be denied boarding.

Carnival and other cruise lines continue to monitor the situation closely, along with Cruise Lines International Association and our colleagues in the rest of the travel industry. We remain in close contact with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) for updates and guidance. Guests seeking more information on Ebola can visit the World Health Organization's website at www.who.int or the CDC website at www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/.

We greatly appreciate your understanding and cooperation in our efforts to safeguard our guests and crew.

Most importantly, we look forward to having you sail with us.

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTCuy
Vice President - Guest Services

What? A questionnaire! Not even a temp read on embarkation? Good job Carnival. Way to combat the spread of a deadly viral disease!!! I haven't received an email yet, but this is just a PR thing.

Oct 24 14 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Bob-W

I got the email too. It's the same procedure as the airports. I'm not worried.
A flu shot before the cruise would protect against the far more likely diseases.

Other problems include: sore shutter finger, wandering eyes, mood upswings, increased appetite, and acute memory loss of any problems.

Oct 24 14 04:51 pm Link

Model

The Exotic Jewel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

FYI I'm in Cabo now and don't expect to shoot on Lovers Beach or Divorce Beach, hardly any sand there and no one gong there now. Also some stomach virus going around.

Very hot here too and I happen to be sick too but just Laryngitis and a cold

Lots of damage all around but still some good places to shoot.

Oct 24 14 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

I think what Carnival's intentions are is to eliminate any potential outbreak of Ebola while on the cruise... soooooooo... since Ebola is transmitted by bodily fluids... probably not having wild animal sex with people you don't know... or strange people from another country would be a good thing... wink... lol

Oct 25 14 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Bob-W

Thanks for the update Tina! I hope you feel well soon. I guess we should only eat on the ship and drink bottled drinks. What are the good beaches now? Maybe we go to a hotel beach.

Oct 25 14 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Just updated the attending models list on post #1... checkit out... borat

Oct 25 14 10:37 am Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Select Models wrote:
Just updated the attending models list on post #1... checkit out... borat

Thank you Gary for the update.  We now have hot blonde Jessica and racy brunette Jessica.  LOL.

Here are a couple more of Jessica. big_smile

In old Hollywood glamour style.  Shot at the original Select Models Studio.

https://www.photosalonla.org/phpbb3/download/file.php?id=67005

In Lynda Carter Wonder Woman style. Excalibur courtesy of Property Department of Select Models. borat

https://www.photosalonla.org/phpbb3/download/file.php?id=65602

Oct 25 14 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Great shots up there James.  For ease of name confusion, blonde Jessica will remain 'Jessica'... brunette Jessica will go by 'Jessie'.  She is called that by her friends and relatives... wink

Oct 25 14 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Hal Ballenger

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Really looking forward to seeing everyone in about a week now!
I’m driving down a few days ahead of time to do a couple shoots in LA before we go.
Cheers!

Oct 26 14 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Toothpick Productions

San Jose, California, US

Hal Ballenger wrote:
Really looking forward to seeing everyone in about a week now!
I’m driving down a few days ahead of time to do a couple shoots in LA before we go.
Cheers!

Oh nice?!!!  Mr Hal has been riding Silent here on the forum!!!  :-)  See you down south (if I don't see you on the roads first)!!

-T

Oct 26 14 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Someone verbally requested CHECKLIST and I said I would repost

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st17392676

As I recall, I ignored advice to bring power strip and ended up having to borrow from kind soul.

Entreprenuers might bring a few extra to liquidate!

Shot with E. Walter Lewis today for better part of the day. I'll spare you the details but--Wow! :-)

Oct 26 14 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

James Sioux

So the best time to be at the terminal would be about 11AM?  I forgot what I did last year.  I just followed Gary.  There was a looooong line though.  Haha.

Oct 26 14 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

James Sioux wrote:
So the best time to be at the terminal would be about 11AM?  I forgot what I did last year.  I just followed Gary.  There was a looooong line though.  Haha.

Yep... definitely before 12:30 for sure.  The sooner you get there... the faster you'll get on the ship.  I got in line at 10:30 one time and was on the ship by 11:30 (1 hour wait)... BUT... if you jump in line around 1:30pm... it could take you as long as 4pm before you're on the ship (2 1/2 hour wait)... hmm

Oct 26 14 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Select Models wrote:

Yep... definitely before 12:30 for sure.  The sooner you get there... the faster you'll get on the ship.  I got in line at 10:30 one time and was on the ship by 11:30 (1 hour wait)... BUT... if you jump in line around 1:30pm... it could take you as long as 4pm before you're on the ship (2 1/2 hour wait)... hmm

Yeah, 10:30/11 would be a good time to get there.  You could still get something to eat if you get on board before 3pm or something.

What is this on-line check in stuff?  Would it speed up the entire registration process?

Oct 26 14 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

James Sioux wrote:
What is this on-line check in stuff?  Would it speed up the entire registration process?

Yes... it most definitely will.  There's a few checkpoints that you will be eliminating by accomplishing the 'on-line checkin'... definitely recommended... borat

Oct 27 14 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Hal Ballenger

I saw some posts on here a while back about one of the photogs bringing a Drone Quadcopter, I hope he got approved, that would be sweet, there’s simply no other way to get that kind of footage.

Here’s a video I did with my Phantom 2 on the Oregon coast.     
  http://youtu.be/YkTwzIU6jBg     

See you all soon!
Hal

Oct 27 14 08:57 am Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Hal Ballenger wrote:
I saw some posts on here a while back about one of the photogs bringing a Drone Quadcopter, I hope he got approved, that would be sweet, there’s simply no other way to get that kind of footage.

Here’s a video I did with my Phantom 2 on the Oregon coast.     
  http://youtu.be/YkTwzIU6jBg     

See you all soon!
Hal

That photog is me, Hal.  I didn't even bother to ask for approval.  Too many other things could go wrong by bringing the drone even if Carnival approves it.  So, no taking chances with $1,300.

Oct 27 14 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

James Sioux wrote:
That photog is me, Hal.  I didn't even bother to ask for approval.  Too many other things could go wrong by bringing the drone even if Carnival approves it.  So, no taking chances with $1,300.

Probably the best choice.  I'm bringing my D600 and FX lenses (over $5000 there) to shoot while on the ship in low light situations... but only bringing my D3300 and two lenses (55-200 ED-VR and 18-140 ED-VR) to shoot while on beaches in Mexico.  Only about $700 wrapped in all that gear.  But that little D3300 will shoot amazing pics (Expeed 4 Image Processor and no AA filter) for the money... borat  Here's a recent shot with the D3300 and 18-140 ED-VR... wink

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10686993_10204197573690922_376739419056753644_n.jpg?oh=a5f1cd03558eab3c7feadb10366764c5&oe=54F678D6

Oct 27 14 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Hal Ballenger

James Sioux wrote:

Oct 27 14 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Hal Ballenger

Things can happen for sure, my "Phantom 1" is at the bottom of the San Francisco bay with a gopro on it, bummer! I can not imagine the cruise lines would have approved it anyway.

Oct 27 14 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Bob-W

Select Models wrote:
I'm bringing my D600 and FX lenses (over $5000 there) to shoot while on the ship in low light situations... but only bringing my D3300 and two lenses (55-200 ED-VR and 18-140 ED-VR) to shoot while on beaches in Mexico.  Only about $700 wrapped in all that gear.  But that little D3300 will shoot amazing pics (Expeed 4 Image Processor and no AA filter) for the money... borat

Now you got me worried about bringing the D750 ashore! I'm bringing D5000 as a backup.
Do we need to wade or swim to locations?

Oct 27 14 09:05 pm Link