IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

or do you more often wait for a photographer to contact you for a
photo shoot?

Apr 05 14 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Contact as many as you can n see who bites.

Apr 05 14 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

The F-Stop wrote:
Contact as many as you can n see who bites.

Thought I posted in the model's colloquy....

Apr 05 14 04:38 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Probably 80%, or more, of all the work I get is because I cold-contacted someone. I don't get a tremendous amount of portfolio traffic anymore, and it is especially important when traveling to just notify as many people as possible that you will be in their area, with open spots in your schedule. That's how I book trips. If I sat around, twiddling my thumbs, waiting for people to message me, not only would I not be shooting for revenue, I also would have never been able to build up a portfolio at all. Every opportunity I've gotten is because I worked to get it - to follow up, to confirm dates, etc. Nothing in this life comes free.

Apr 05 14 04:43 pm Link

Model

Cole Morrison

Portland, Oregon, US

It depends on if I want to seek work out from the photographer or not.

Apr 05 14 04:46 pm Link

Model

Evie Wolfe

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I used to contact photographers fairly often - I do that less these days, mostly I just respond when someone contacts me, because despite years of experience, I am still very nervous approaching people. I worry I am wasting people's time, since the people who can help my book tend to be considerably out of my league, and almost never display 'plus' models in their ports (so I find it difficult to tell if they're open to shooting fat girls tongue).

My work comes via agency or my website, and these days most of my trade offers come from facebook - my inbox is mostly keeping up with friends tongue

Apr 05 14 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Evie Wolfe wrote:
I used to contact photographers fairly often - I do that less these days, mostly I just respond when someone contacts me, because despite years of experience, I am still very nervous approaching people. I worry I am wasting people's time, since the people who can help my book tend to be considerably out of my league, and almost never display 'plus' models in their ports (so I find it difficult to tell if they're open to shooting fat girls tongue).

My work comes via agency or my website, and these days most of my trade offers come from facebook - my inbox is mostly keeping up with friends tongue

I would never turn you down Evie....  big_smile

Apr 05 14 05:15 pm Link

Model

Evie Wolfe

Marin Photography NYC wrote:
I would never turn you down Evie....  big_smile

I know, and I'd love to shoot with you! Unfortunately, there is the small matter of several thousand miles tongue

Apr 05 14 05:17 pm Link

Model

Morgan_Rose

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm a newbie so I try to seek out as many photographers as I can whose work I really like. I don't get many replies at all though.

Apr 05 14 05:19 pm Link

Model

Evie Wolfe

Morgan_Rose wrote:
I'm a newbie so I try to seek out as many photographers as I can whose work I really like. I don't get many replies at all though.

I think that happens to everyone when they are new - but you have a great look AND you shoot nudes, so I can't imagine you'll have difficulty booking some great work in the future smile

Apr 05 14 05:45 pm Link

Model

90s sub pop records

Livermore, California, US

sometimes.

Apr 05 14 05:47 pm Link

Model

Morgan_Rose

Brooklyn, New York, US

Evie Wolfe wrote:
I think that happens to everyone when they are new - but you have a great look AND you shoot nudes, so I can't imagine you'll have difficulty booking some great work in the future smile

Thank you, Evie big_smile I am a fan of your work, by the way. I hope with more experience I can be nearly as great as you!

Apr 05 14 05:52 pm Link

Model

Evie Wolfe

Morgan_Rose wrote:
Thank you, Evie big_smile I am a fan of your work, by the way. I hope with more experience I can be nearly as great as you!

The trick is to bribe photographers with cookies and cupcakes tongue

Threadjack/

Apr 05 14 05:58 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

If their profile suggests they would be open to shooting me and I like their portfolio I contact them.

Apr 05 14 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Mac Intosh

Moose Creek, Alaska, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

welcome to the mayhem..... https://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/excited.gif

Apr 05 14 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
do you ever contact photographers?

yes. and we talk about models wink

Apr 05 14 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

It's not the "Model's Colloquy", it's the "Model Colloquy, Conversations on ...well...modeling." and like all the forums, everybody's welcome to chime in so long as they do so respectfully.

Don't feel bad, though, it's a common mistake.

Apr 05 14 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:

It's not the "Model's Colloquy", it's the "Model Colloquy, Conversations on ...well...modeling." and like all the forums, everybody's welcome to chime in so long as they do so respectfully.

Don't feel bad, though, it's a common mistake.

If you would be kind enough to explain the difference between the "s" at the end of colloquy, it would be appreciated since English is not my primary language ....merci beaucoup!!

Apr 05 14 08:19 pm Link

Model

Deleteddeleted

Englishtown, New Jersey, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
photo shoot?

Sure I do smile I like networking here both socially and for business purposes. Lets give credit where credit is due.

Especially if I really like their work, it makes no difference to me where they are located- I'll comment on an image/images. I sometimes follow up with an MM message as well...like how the hell did you do that??! Or where did you shoot this gorgeous pic?! It's remarkable.

We're all basically in the same boat here smile

Apr 06 14 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

If you would be kind enough to explain the difference between the "s" at the end of colloquy, it would be appreciated since English is not my primary language ....merci beaucoup!!

The "s" you added would imply possession, meaning a forum FOR models. Without the "s", it's simply a designative adjective, implying that this forum is simply ABOUT models and modeling.

Apr 06 14 08:51 am Link

Model

dead and goneeeeeeeeee

Aniak, Alaska, US

I contact them if I reaaaaaally want to work with them. Otherwise, I'm generally a shy ish person so I wait for people to contact me.

It's worked so far.

Apr 06 14 05:48 pm Link

Model

Axioma

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Evie Wolfe wrote:
I used to contact photographers fairly often - I do that less these days, mostly I just respond when someone contacts me, because despite years of experience, I am still very nervous approaching people. I worry I am wasting people's time, since the people who can help my book tend to be considerably out of my league... [snipped]

This, unfortunately. I'm a wuss.

Apr 06 14 06:40 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

All the time.  The worst thing that happens is occasionally they'll say no, that they're busy, or they won't respond at all.  No big deal since the list of photographers I want to work with is a mile long.  big_smile

Apr 06 14 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Renato Alberto

San Francisco, California, US

Evie Wolfe wrote:

The trick is to bribe photographers with cookies and cupcakes tongue

Threadjack/

You would not need cookies or cupcakes for me to shoot with you!
But I would not turn them down.. smile

Apr 06 14 06:55 pm Link

Model

Cervezax

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I never have. I guess I've always assumed that if I approach a photographer then I should be paying him. I feel strange messaging a photographer first and quoting my rates. Does that actually work or do they get offended?

Edit:
Usually, if I want to work with a photographer and get paid, I'll comment on their portfolio or leave a tag and if they're interested they'll message me.

Apr 06 14 09:18 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Cervezax wrote:
I never have. I guess I've always assumed that if I approach a photographer then I should be paying him. I feel strange messaging a photographer first and quoting my rates. Does that actually work or do they get offended?

Yeah, don't do that. Only contact someone if you're interested in paying them or working TF*.

Apr 06 14 09:20 pm Link

Model

Cervezax

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Alabaster Crowley wrote:

Yeah, don't do that. Only contact someone if you're interested in paying them or working TF*.

That's what I thought... but unless I'm reading Koryn's post incorrectly, it sounds like that works for her?

Apr 06 14 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Morgan_Rose wrote:

Don't get discouraged! I remember critiquing your portfolio a while back, it's come along quite nicely since then smile

Apr 06 14 09:33 pm Link

Model

Morgan_Rose

Brooklyn, New York, US

Mark C Smith wrote:

Don't get discouraged! I remember critiquing your portfolio a while back, it's come along quite nicely since then smile

Thank you! I have gotten so much better than what's up here right now. I should update my portfolio again this week so maybe I'll get more responses smile But I still have a ways to go.

Apr 06 14 10:26 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
photo shoot?

I contact about 20 a day in the area I'm visiting. Usually only 3 reply back.

Apr 06 14 11:00 pm Link

Model

Rockabella

Bargara, Queensland, Australia

If I see someone on here I really.. like borderline worship. I shoot them a message and see if a collaboration is doable. I've had some of the best results with the artists I've contacted locally. Usually, I know exactly what I'm looking for if I need to update my port. That's why I actually prefer to find the people I want to work with rather than wait around. For me the waiting around bit is for people who find me and want to pay to put me in their port. The fun happens when I find a photographer that I'd cut off my toes just to get a chance to work with c;

Apr 06 14 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have often been contacted by models.

Apr 06 14 11:19 pm Link

Model

Sarah Quill

Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand

Aside from answering casting calls, only either if have my own idea that I'd be willing to shoot TF or if I'm travelling.

Apr 06 14 11:31 pm Link

Model

Cervezax

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Danielle Reid wrote:

I contact about 20 a day in the area I'm visiting. Usually only 3 reply back.

You contact them with your rates?

Apr 06 14 11:33 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Cervezax wrote:

You contact them with your rates?

I say:

Hi, I'll be in [city name] from [date] to [date]. If you have any projects (personal or otherwise) that I fit, please let me know.

Rates are discussed later IF they contact me back.

Apr 06 14 11:41 pm Link

Model

Cervezax

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Danielle Reid wrote:

I say:

Hi, I'll be in [city name] from [date] to [date]. If you have any projects (personal or otherwise) that I fit, please let me know.

Ohhh! That's perfect.

Apr 07 14 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Mac Intosh

Moose Creek, Alaska, US

Danielle Reid wrote:
I say:

I would say this approach sort of borders on 'bait and switch'. Why not just be right up front in your initial email and let them know that you are looking for paid work. I think it would be more honest and much more appreciated if you did this. https://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/mellow.gif

Apr 07 14 08:15 am Link

Model

Rockabella

Bargara, Queensland, Australia

Mac Intosh wrote:

I would say this approach sort of borders on 'bait and switch'. Why not just be right up front in your initial email and let them know that you are looking for paid work. I think it would be more honest and much more appreciated if you did this. https://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/mellow.gif

I myself have been wondering an appropriate and polite way to do this because I move around a lot and not everyone checks out travel notices! Is it advisable to say something like:

"Hello so-and-so,
I am a traveling model seeking paid assignments and I just wanted to notify you that I will be in your area from (x) - (x). Please get in touch if you have any projects coming up that you think I would be suited for. Thank you for your time and consideration!"

Or is that bad?

Apr 07 14 11:40 am Link

Model

D A N I

Mac Intosh wrote:

Bordering maybe, but so far no one has come to me to complain.

Apr 07 14 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Mac Intosh

Moose Creek, Alaska, US

Amelia Fae wrote:

I myself have been wondering an appropriate and polite way to do this because I move around a lot and not everyone checks out travel notices! Is it advisable to say something like:

"Hello so-and-so,
I am a traveling model seeking paid assignments and I just wanted to notify you that I will be in your area from (x) - (x). Please get in touch if you have any projects coming up that you think I would be suited for. Thank you for your time and consideration!"

Or is that bad?

This is a perfect example of being right up front and very business like. Your example above is very professional sounding and courteous. Well done! https://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/smile.gif

Apr 07 14 12:11 pm Link