Forums > Photography Talk > Still no D700 replacement - the D750

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

JohnEnger wrote:

Nope, it hasn't from all I can see the D750 is more of a toy than a tool.
I'm going to check it out, but I have my doubts about getting one.

It's PACKED with crap I don't need or want. Things I consider consumer features... Like the tilting screen... ??? or the use of crap @$$ SD cards? WTF?

J.

You can skip the D750 and get the D810. smile

Sep 13 14 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

JohnEnger

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

ChanStudio wrote:

Nah, I'll shoot with my D700 for a few more years and if Nikon has not woken up to tend to the pro market better (better than with _one_ camera that costs more than a car), I'll get a Canon... Canon seem to get it...

J.

Sep 13 14 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

IF you shoot models (and who doesn't on MM)... the D750 should be your NUMBER 1 choice... WHY?... checkout runtime 2:40 on this video... borat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP47t66mMPw

Sep 13 14 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

JohnEnger wrote:
or the use of crap @$$ SD cards? WTF?
J.

I have yet to see a CF card with this amount of high speed 'quality' memory... have you?

https://cdn1.tnwcdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2014/09/sd-sdextremePRO-512g.jpg

Sep 13 14 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Select Models wrote:
I have yet to see a CF card with this amount of high speed 'quality' memory... have you?

B&H has 512gb CF cards for about $900

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 … flash.html

Sep 13 14 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

BillyPhotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

CF is it a bit faster than the newest speed SDs I think, but both are relatively slow (at the moment) to other formats.. For still photography, I dont see why you'd want to shoot over 5 fps anyways which SD can handle... I mean do people really care whether their new high end nikon shoots stills @ 7fps or 8fps?

Sep 13 14 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

GPS Studio Services wrote:

B&H has 512gb CF cards for about $900

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 … flash.html

Not to digress, but anyone else remember when CF cards had tiny little hard drives in them? Those were the days...

Sep 14 14 04:48 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Robb Mann wrote:

Not to digress, but anyone else remember when CF cards had tiny little hard drives in them? Those were the days...

I still have a couple in my drawer

Sep 14 14 05:09 am Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

photoimager wrote:
http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/press … A1209-D750

Control style as per D600/610/7000 etc so probably no option to lock the aperture / shutter speed and no dedicated AF-On button.

I would presume that they have a similar option in the menu as the D800/E to reset control buttons. On my D4, I have my movie-record button controlling my ISO speed, and my sub-selector pressed in firmly while rotating my command/sub-command dial locks the related feature (Aperture/Shutter). On my D800E, my Movie Record button acts as my Aperture/Shutter Lock button - since I avoid using an ISO Speed over 200 with that camera! (Not because of noise, but because I lose too much Dynamic Range.)

IMHO alone;

Ðanny
DBImagery Toronto (Website)
DBIphotography Toronto (Blog On Site)

“The vilest deeds – like poison weeds – bloom well in prison air; it is only what is good in man that wastes & withers there.”
~Oscar Wilde

Sep 14 14 10:54 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

photoimager wrote:
Control style as per D600/610/7000 etc so probably no option to lock the aperture / shutter speed and no dedicated AF-On button.

DBIphotography Toronto wrote:
I would presume that they have a similar option in the menu as the D800/E to reset control buttons. On my D4, I have my movie-record button controlling my ISO speed, and my sub-selector pressed in firmly while rotating my command/sub-command dial locks the related feature (Aperture/Shutter).

Only the D200/300/700/800 series/3 series/4 series ( and F100 / later Fx series ) have separate AF-On AND AEL/ AFL buttons. If you use both then custom settings will not help. Similarly, if the aperture / shutter speed lock option runs to form it will not be a feature on the D750.

Sep 14 14 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

photoimager wrote:

photoimager wrote:

Only the D200/300/700/800 series/3 series/4 series ( and F100 / later Fx series ) have separate AF-On AND AEL/ AFL buttons. If you use both then custom settings will not help. Similarly, if the aperture / shutter speed lock option runs to form it will not be a feature on the D750.

Ahh, gotcha. When I had my D3000/D90, I didn't pay attention to controls I didn't understand at the time. I didn't realize that the D750 wouldn't have a separate AE-L/AF-L button hmm  I see your point completely now, then yikes

Sep 14 14 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Select Models wrote:

https://cdn1.tnwcdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2014/09/sd-sdextremePRO-512g.jpg

I have a 16Gb 60Mb/s CF card which works fine for me and is much cheaper.

Sep 14 14 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Robb Mann wrote:

I never purchased one because I didn't think that they were rugged enough.

Sep 14 14 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

ChanStudio wrote:

I know a pro who uses his D3 more than his D800.  smile

Sep 14 14 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I believe it. My D3 was a super-reliable camera, which had far better focusing abilities than my D800E has. More reliable focusing abilities, as well! If it weren't for the D750 having slower and less-reliable SD cards, I'd probably consider down-grading to one.

My slowest cards have a write-speed of 90 MB/s, the fastest write at 150 MB/s. And they never fail. Not ever. Not even once. The last time I had a card-failure was a Lexar SD Class 6, back when I was shooting with my D90 still. SD Cards are getting faster, I have one for my D800E that has a write-speed of 45 MB/s, but they aren't reliable. And they're small. And with the teeth exposed, I'm liable to damage them easily from repeated handling hmm  That's just me and my opinion, of course.

IMHO alone;

Ðanny

“The vilest deeds – like poison weeds – bloom well in prison air; it is only what is good in man that wastes & withers there.”
~Oscar Wilde

Sep 14 14 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Robb Mann wrote:
I get how the D750 fits in.

Nikon is going after white space in the market, not upgrade customers.

The Df was 'pure photography' - a camera designed around still photos.

The D750 is 'pure videography' - Nikons first serious attempt to woo videographers.

+1

My impression after seeing the Nikon Ad announcing the release was that they wanted this to compete with the new 7D Mk II that Canon has just released.   

I'm looking for a Nikon to convert to IR.  This new model is a bit spendy to buy as a camera to convert, although I do love the Wi-Fi to be able to use my iPad as a monitor.  Maybe the price of D700's will drop.  Used, they are pretty spendy for a 7 year old camera.

Sep 14 14 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

who can tell if an image was shot with a CF card or an SD?
is the white balance different?  do you get more pincushion distortion with one?
it holds the image until you upload it somewhere useful.  as long as it can keep up why should anyone care?

Sep 14 14 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Chambers

Grant, Michigan, US

D700                                 D750
Full magnesium body         Half magnesium body
AF-ON button                   No AF-ON button
Big PRO viewfinder            Small consumer viewfinder
PRO dial w/buttons           Consumer dial from D600/610
10 pin connection             No 10 pin connection

Sep 14 14 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Of course everyone is different.  I am more into high DR and higher MP without shadow noise.

Sep 14 14 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

DBIphotography Toronto wrote:

I believe it. My D3 was a super-reliable camera, which had far better focusing abilities than my D800E has. More reliable focusing abilities, as well! If it weren't for the D750 having slower and less-reliable SD cards, I'd probably consider down-grading to one.

My slowest cards have a write-speed of 90 MB/s, the fastest write at 150 MB/s. And they never fail. Not ever. Not even once. The last time I had a card-failure was a Lexar SD Class 6, back when I was shooting with my D90 still. SD Cards are getting faster, I have one for my D800E that has a write-speed of 45 MB/s, but they aren't reliable. And they're small. And with the teeth exposed, I'm liable to damage them easily from repeated handling hmm  That's just me and my opinion, of course.

IMHO alone;

Ðanny

~Oscar Wilde

I don't have much luck with Lexar cards.  Scandisk does well for me.

Sep 14 14 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

JohnEnger wrote:

Nah, I'll shoot with my D700 for a few more years and if Nikon has not woken up to tend to the pro market better (better than with _one_ camera that costs more than a car), I'll get a Canon... Canon seem to get it...

J.

You mean with video and shadow noise?

Sep 14 14 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Let me speak about the sequels to Nikon D300/D700 in terms you all will truly understand. No matter how much bitching you all do....James Cameron is not Producing/Directing a Sequel to Titanic. D300/D700, and Leo are Dead. lol

Sep 14 14 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Jason Chambers wrote:
D700                                 D750
Full magnesium body         Half magnesium body
AF-ON button                   No AF-ON button
Big PRO viewfinder            Small consumer viewfinder
PRO dial w/buttons           Consumer dial from D600/610
10 pin connection             No 10 pin connection

Now, you see, I don't understand your viewfinder comment.   The D700 had an awful viewfinder.  Indeed, one lab says that it is only 89%.  I passed on the D700 because I hated the viewfinder and went with the D300s instead. I shot the D700 when I needed full frame or low light, otherwise it was the D300s all the way.

The D750 (and the D600/610 and D800/810) all have a 100% viewfinder.  Your viewfinder comment is off point.  All of the newer cameras have better viewfinders than the D700.

Sep 14 14 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Kenny Goldberg

Costa Mesa, California, US

Nikon hit it on the head for me! This is Exactly the camera I have been waiting for. In fact I did something I have NEVER done before. I pre-ordered the first day. Normally I research forever and only buy after the product has been tested fully by the market do I purchase.

I am a full time professional shooting family, engagement, maternity & business portraits as well as events and currently shoot with cropped sensor D300 & D7000 cameras. I love the quality of both these cameras and I have always wanted a full frame and for the kind of work I do the D750 just sounds ideal.

Don't care about the tilt screen but love the rest of the specs.

Can't wait for mt new TOY which should also be a Great TOOL!

Sep 14 14 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour One

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I had a D750 in my hands on Friday. My first impression is that it is a significantly smaller camera that will appeal to photographers with smaller hands. It features a grip like the D810 as opposed to the D610, thus ergonomically it feels pretty nice. I didn't have any issues with the viewfinder, but I do prefer the higher eyepoint style of the D810/D4. For those jumping into their first full frame, Nikon is offering a kit with the 24-120 and a significantly reduced price...I believe $600 over the body only price, instead of the usual $1200 -1300 for the lens by itself.

Sep 14 14 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

GPS Studio Services wrote:

Now, you see, I don't understand your viewfinder comment.   The D700 had an awful viewfinder.  Indeed, one lab says that it is only 89%.  I passed on the D700 because I hated the viewfinder and went with the D300s instead. I shot the D700 when I needed full frame or low light, otherwise it was the D300s all the way.

The D750 (and the D600/610 and D800/810) all have a 100% viewfinder.  Your viewfinder comment is off point.  All of the newer cameras have better viewfinders than the D700.

The viewfinder is why I don't miss my D700 very much. With only 12mp you needed to shoot carefully, which was harder with the cropped viewfinder. I was told by one Nikon rep that the D700 was a rush job by Nikon - the D3 sensor line was producing far more D3 sensors than Nikon could sell, so they crammed the sensor into the existing D300 body, and the viewfinder was the big sacrifice. I can't confirm that story, but it makes sense to me. The D700 came out of nowhere.

Sep 15 14 06:37 am Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

I am not a Nikon user.  Could someone explain what the big deal is about the AF-ON button?

Sep 15 14 07:27 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

exartica wrote:
I am not a Nikon user.  Could someone explain what the big deal is about the AF-ON button?

I don't use it.  by default, you focus the Nikon camera by depressing the shutter button half way.  That will engage either single or continuous focus, depending on the mode selection.

Some of the high end Nikon bodies have a separate button.  When selected in the menu, auto-focus, for each frame, is activated by pressing that dedicated button rather than depressing the shutter half-way.  I have always preferred the shutter method but there are many that prefer to press the separate button.

Sep 15 14 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I have a 16Gb 60Mb/s CF card which works fine for me and is much cheaper.

Well of course it is... it's also 496 gigabites smaller in size... lol

Sep 15 14 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Glamour One wrote:
I had a D750 in my hands on Friday. My first impression is that it is a significantly smaller camera that will appeal to photographers with smaller hands. It features a grip like the D810 as opposed to the D610, thus ergonomically it feels pretty nice. I didn't have any issues with the viewfinder, but I do prefer the higher eyepoint style of the D810/D4. For those jumping into their first full frame, Nikon is offering a kit with the 24-120 and a significantly reduced price...I believe $600 over the body only price, instead of the usual $1200 -1300 for the lens by itself.

So you're saying the D750 is a Girly camera?  tongue

Sep 15 14 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Toasterbottom

Neiafu, Vava'u, Tonga

As I progressed with photography, I went from a D70 to a D7000 to a D600 (never had a dust & oil issue with mine and I still have it and have shot with it lots and can't sell it now because everyone hates it and I'd take a bath) to a D800. So I'm now using the D800 as my primary body and the D600 as a second body or an insurance backup if I'm on a paid gig and something goes wrong with the D800 (which has happened, though just once).

I love my D800 but do find the continuous frame rate pretty slow and the files pretty monstrous, especially when 80% of my work isn't getting printed bigger than 8 x 10. The problem with the raw file sizes isn't just frame rate and storage, it's that they load slowly in Lightroom (they load fast enough but then take a few seconds to resolve). When you've got hundreds of shots to go through, it's a horror show (and so now I'm having to use Photo Mechanic just for sorting and grading shots before going to LR before going to PS. Oy!). I was really hoping that Nikon would come out with a professional grade, weatherproofed body with 24 megapixels, decent continuous frame rate, and the form factor of a D800. I actually do use the AF-ON button and it drives you CRAZY when you're shooting with two bodies (as at events and other commercial gigs) and you're switching back and forth from the form factor of the pro D800 to the consumer form factor of the D600 (which is laid out like a D7000/7100 with no AF-ON and the other buttons in all the wrong places). I mean, for the love of God, did they have to swap the positions of the + and - playback magnification buttons between models??!! Did they do that just to make me go mental? Is no one else infuriated by this other than me??!! I guess I still chimp too much. smile

Anyway, when I saw that they'd released the D750 I was THRILLED ...and then crushingly disappointed. It's just a D7000/7100/600/610 with more gadgets I'll never use. Seriously, a flippy LCD? I guess that's important if you're shooting video. I dunno. I've never so much as pressed the video button; not even once. What I wanted was for Nikon to release a 5D Mk III, I guess. But they didn't. And they're never going to.

So I think my next Nikon purchase will be the D5 if they get rid of that stupid QXD slot (or XQD or whatever it is) by the time it comes out and replace it with a second CF slot. I'm going to start saving for it now and should have the money in a few years. And this is where I think Nikon has made a major mistake: in their effort to drive pros and semi-pros to the much more expensive D4s, they've lost sales they could have made to people like me who would buy a pro-grade 5D Mk III -style of body in greater numbers and more often. If Nikon made something like the rugged, weatherproofed 6 fps 5D Mk III, I'd have two of them PLUS the D800 for the odd time I needed near-medium format resolution. Instead, I'm going to sit out the next few upgrades. Their loss.

End of rant!

Sep 16 14 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Tony Hicks wrote:
As I progressed with photography, I went from a D70 to a D7000 to a D600 (never had a dust & oil issue with mine and I still have it and have shot with it lots and can't sell it now because everyone hates it and I'd take a bath) to a D800. So I'm now using the D800 as my primary body and the D600 as a second body or an insurance backup if I'm on a paid gig and something goes wrong with the D800 (which has happened, though just once).

I love my D800 but do find the continuous frame rate pretty slow and the files pretty monstrous, especially when 80% of my work isn't getting printed bigger than 8 x 10. The problem with the raw file sizes isn't just frame rate and storage, it's that they load slowly in Lightroom (they load fast enough but then take a few seconds to resolve). When you've got hundreds of shots to go through, it's a horror show (and so now I'm having to use Photo Mechanic just for sorting and grading shots before going to LR before going to PS. Oy!). I was really hoping that Nikon would come out with a professional grade, weatherproofed body with 24 megapixels, decent continuous frame rate, and the form factor of a D800. I actually do use the AF-ON button and it drives you CRAZY when you're shooting with two bodies (as at events and other commercial gigs) and you're switching back and forth from the form factor of the pro D800 to the consumer form factor of the D600 (which is laid out like a D7000/7100 with no AF-ON and the other buttons in all the wrong places). I mean, for the love of God, did they have to swap the positions of the + and - playback magnification buttons between models??!! Did they do that just to make me go mental? Is no one else infuriated by this other than me??!! I guess I still chimp too much. smile

Anyway, when I saw that they'd released the D750 I was THRILLED ...and then crushingly disappointed. It's just a D7000/7100/600/610 with more gadgets I'll never use. Seriously, a flippy LCD? I guess that's important if you're shooting video. I dunno. I've never so much as pressed the video button; not even once. What I wanted was for Nikon to release a 5D Mk III, I guess. But they didn't. And they're never going to.

So I think my next Nikon purchase will be the D5 if they get rid of that stupid QXD slot (or XQD or whatever it is) by the time it comes out and replace it with a second CF slot. I'm going to start saving for it now and should have the money in a few years. And this is where I think Nikon has made a major mistake: in their effort to drive pros and semi-pros to the much more expensive D4s, they've lost sales they could have made to people like me who would buy a pro-grade 5D Mk III -style of body in greater numbers and more often. If Nikon made something like the rugged, weatherproofed 6 fps 5D Mk III, I'd have two of them PLUS the D800 for the odd time I needed near-medium format resolution. Instead, I'm going to sit out the next few upgrades. Their loss.

End of rant!

WOW! First post on MM and it's right on target. I agree with you 100%.

Sep 16 14 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Toasterbottom

Neiafu, Vava'u, Tonga

me voy wrote:
WOW! First post on MM and it's right on target. I agree with you 100%.

I may have built up your expectations too much. Don't worry -- I have plenty of stupid things to say. big_smile

Sep 17 14 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Vision Images by Jake

Stockton, California, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Well with that being said, I am still a D3 / D3x Shooter and will most likely be for sometime to come.  Luv what I am getting with those camera's.... Great combo!

Sep 17 14 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Vision Images by Jake wrote:

Well with that being said, I am still a D3 / D3x Shooter and will most likely be for sometime to come.  Luv what I am getting with those camera's.... Great combo!

I think Jerry might be referring to me and for the record, I shoot with D3X and D800 (not D3, never had one of those). I still shoot more with D3X but am bringing my D800 to every shoot and have been incorporating it as the main or additional camera more and more. 

The more I shoot with both cameras within the same shoot, the more I notice how much more the shutter vibration is dampened in the D3X. It is simply a more robust build. I would hope that the future D4X would have the detail and size of the D800/810 in the full professional construction of the D3/D4 platform. Just hope my D3X holds out that long.

Sep 17 14 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Vision Images by Jake

Stockton, California, US

Tony Hicks wrote:

End of rant!

Totally agree with you, I am gonna set these latest series out as well.  Not to impress with what I am getting, but if video was my game.... maybe at best!

Sep 17 14 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Vision Images by Jake

Stockton, California, US

Dan Howell wrote:
I think Jerry might be referring to me and for the record, I shoot with D3X and D800 (not D3, never had one of those). I still shoot more with D3X but am bringing my D800 to every shoot and have been incorporating it as the main or additional camera more and more. 

The more I shoot with both cameras within the same shoot, the more I notice how much more the shutter vibration is dampened in the D3X. It is simply a more robust build. I would hope that the future D4X would have the detail and size of the D800/810 in the full professional construction of the D3/D4 platform. Just hope my D3X holds out that long.

Now if Nikon come out with a D4x with all that in mind, I would jump on it in a heart beat.  But don't think that will happen, at least anytime soon.  Hmmm and to think I almost sold my D3x to purchase one of the first batches of the D800/e.  I am still pretty impress with what I am getting with my D3x for now. 

What I am getting out of the D3 has giving me know reason to jump to the D4/s not a 6500.00 plus.  I like some of the tweaks, but not a videographer either.  I think I will just wait a bit smile

Sep 17 14 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

The only way I see us getting a D4x is if Nikon pushes back the D5 release date by two or three years, then we might get an up-speced D810 sensor in a D4 body. Given the enormous lack of competition from Sony and Canon, that just might happen.

Sep 18 14 02:46 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Tony Hicks wrote:

End of rant!

I agree. Nikon and canon get their specs wrong. Canon got the 6d wrong - the d600 is (largely) better. But there is a massive section of the Nikon market who want a 5d3 spec camera and I think everyone assumed this would be it and are disappointed that it isn't.

I actually think I could do a better job of specing cameras tbh - and I wouldn't just be like "put everything in everything" because that clearly doesn't work.

Sep 18 14 04:42 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

unnecessary post.

Sep 18 14 04:45 am Link