Forums > Model Colloquy > Feeling used and humiliated

Photographer

JVWilson Portraits

Banbury, England, United Kingdom

I think you look amazing and were you not on the other side of the country, I'd shoot with you in a heartbeat. Your port is great.

Some people are just terrible people and like to make others feel responsible for their own mistakes. It's on the photographer to select the best of the photos. Anyone, absolutely ANYONE can be caught at a moment that makes them look bad (see any gossip mag for celebrity photos for proof) and a decent photographer just discards those moments.

It's sad that this industry attracts the worse in egos. But you don't have to care about them. Move on!

Oct 05 14 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

KitLizzadro wrote:
I recently got back a bad batch of photos from a TFP. This surprised me because I thought the shoot went really well and was super excited to see them. The photographer and I got along really well. When I looked at the photos none of them were useable. They were mediocre and he intentionally sent unflattering terrible photos, which he says he sends as critiquing. All of the photos were unflattering that he sent and I know there were some good ones.

Anyway I asked him about it and he said that the shoot wasn't good because he said it's because I am a plus size model and he doesn't shoot plus size models and it was a test shoot anyway for a different shoot. Just really rude and dismissive...............

Don't let his attempt to "blame the model" for his own inadequacies get you down.  By doing so, you are empowering him in his dealings with you.  You by no means qualify as a "plus sized" model.  A lame excuse at best.   I'd work with you in a heartbeat, and consider myself fortunate to get the opportunity.

His job, as a photographer, is to present a model from her best perspective and direct her to her most flattering poses and capture those.  His job as a person is to be respectful of people who entrust him to photograph them.  Seems he failed at both.

I hesitate to ask what the "crust" on his socks was composed of.  The prospects are scary. smile

Oct 05 14 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

One bad experience behind you...you should have come to me instead big_smile

Oct 05 14 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Worcester, England, United Kingdom

Abbitt Photography wrote:

He said, he purposely with holds the best shots on a TF shoot?  Wow - that is really slimy.   I think that's incredibly rare, and doubt you'll ever run into that again.

Nobody does that. He cocked it up and can't admit it. Some of us are so full of hot air it's a wonder we don't wind up in orbit.

Oct 05 14 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

We all deal with people who disappoint us. On both sides of the camera.

It goes with the territory. People are.......less than perfect. Deal with it, and get over it.

Oct 05 14 02:37 pm Link

Model

Sandra Vixen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

KitLizzadro wrote:
Anyway I asked him about it and he said that the shoot wasn't good because he said it's because I am a plus size model and he doesn't shoot plus size models and it was a test shoot anyway for a different shoot. Just really rude and dismissive. Basically he used me to set up for another shoot and then tried to make me feel bad. This is the first batch of photos I have received that were not good. This has never happened. I believe my profile accurately represents what I look like and is not misleading. Why shoot with me then if you don't shoot plus size?

Sorry to hear that, did you say it was a plus size shoot to begin with?

Usually tests shoots involve people experimenting with parameters (meat, technology, etc) outside of their expertise, you never know what you will get (but from my experience I have never had or saw great material come from unrehearsed work).

I always avoid "unpaid tests".

What I find, that 99% of the time someone looks plus sized is because the cameraman used too short of a lens. It makes you look center-heavy and distorted.

Short lens are only for wide panoramas, distorted/bizarre-look, and basically by photographers who really know what they are doing.

Oct 05 14 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

You might have been used but no need on your part to feel humiliated.  Do you have any idea how many jerks there are in this world?  10 to the 97th power I think.

Oct 05 14 03:48 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Sandra Vixen wrote:

Usually tests shoots involve people experimenting with parameters (meat, technology, etc) outside of their expertise, you never know what you will get (but from my experience I have never had or saw great material come from unrehearsed work).

What I find, that 99% of the time someone looks plus sized is because the cameraman used too short of a lens. It makes you look center-heavy and distorted.

Short lens are only for wide panoramas, distorted/bizarre-look, and basically by photographers who really know what they are doing.

You mention "meat" often. Is this what you mean for models?
Jen

Oct 05 14 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

He's a dipshit

Oct 05 14 04:48 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Two Pears Studio

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Your plus is my perfect... for painting!

Oct 05 14 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

J-PhotoArt

San Francisco, California, US

You are a plus size model?  I must have missed the definition of plus size in photography class that day.  That photographer was nothing short of being rude and a complete JERK!  I would not give his comments another thought at all.  Come to the San Francisco Bay Area and I would be happy to work with you!

Oct 05 14 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

The photographer can only make you feel bad if you let him.  It sounds like he purposely setup the shoot just to critique you-a true asshole.  Block him permanently, move on, and don't let him win.

There will be other photographers who love you just the way you are.  Feed your positive soul and create with them.

Oct 05 14 05:39 pm Link

Model

Figuremodel001

Chicago, Illinois, US

Koryn wrote:

Ms Katie Blair wrote:
It's a gamble ALWAYS -- money has nothing to do with it.

Every single shoot is a gamble, for one or both parties.

yes, this, although whoever gets the cash has the cash.

Oct 06 14 08:23 am Link

Photographer

nolongerhere

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

We all have an occasional disappointing performance or failure. He should have manned up and owned it. I looked at your portfolio.  Since when did womanly perfection become plus size? Now I just need to decide whether I should toss all my (hopefully not crusty) white socks.

Oct 06 14 08:44 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

If anyone should be embarrassed it should be him.

To not turn over any decent pictures makes him look bad not you -- he's a jerk. No need to be humiliated.

Don't let someone like that hold that kind of power over you.

Oct 06 14 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

The TF* shooting, regardless if all the parties meant well or not, is kinda a complete crapshoot. Some will pan out, some won't.

Use this as a learning experience.

Yes, there are going to be some complete douchebags out there. But you'll find there are A LOT of great people. Grow a thick skin (if you haven't already) & reevaluate whether the "why" you're doing whatever you're doing is worth it & then reevaluate whether the "how" you're doing is is either the most effective way or even if it can be done a different way.

Oct 06 14 09:26 am Link

Photographer

BarryH

Taipei City, Taipei City, Taiwan

KitLizzadro wrote:
Anyway I asked him about it and he said that the shoot wasn't good because he said it's because I am a plus size model and he doesn't shoot plus size models....

Bizarre. Imagine these statements:

"It's because  you're a blonde model and I don't shoot blonde models."

"It's because  you're an Asian model and I don't shoot Asian models."

"It's because  you're a small-breasted model and I don't shoot small-breasted models."

If you heard any of these, you'd assume (rightly) that the photographer was just trying to cover for his own incompetence. "Plus size" is no different.

Oct 06 14 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Grady Richardson

Houston, Texas, US

I think that one of the hardest things about attempting to create art is learning how to deal with criticism. Speaking for myself, I know that I have a lot to learn - indeed that's one of the things that  makes photography interesting to me, the chance to improve my skills and vision. But I have to admit that a harsh judgement of my work has been known to depress me.

You need to be able to separate out constructive criticism and learn from it and ignore destructive criticism or (what seems to be the case here) excuse making.

Photography involves at its minimum a photographer and a subject. It may also involve others -  MUAs, costume designers, set builders, etc. Sometimes all the people involved in a shoot click and the result is amazing. Sometimes the opposite happens. And there is also more of an element of luck involved than most of us like to admit.

At the end of the day, the shoot is over and the results were poor. At this point you can't do anything to improve it, so learn what you can from the experience and move on.

Oct 06 14 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Grady Richardson wrote:
I think that one of the hardest things about attempting to create art is learning how to deal with criticism...

+1

Be self confident and "to your own self be true."  Listen only to criticism from artists whom you respect.

Oct 06 14 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Culturally Destitute

Seattle, Washington, US

What an ass.
Never recommend him.

Note to self: Change socks before tomorrows shoot.

Oct 06 14 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Sandra Vixen wrote:

Test and TF are the same so no, that's wrong.

People look plus size because.............. Wrong.......It's the distance between the subject and the lens that creates distortion...not the length of the lens alone.

Short lens only for panoramas, distorted... Wrong.

Please stop with the bad information...LOL

Many people use a 50/35/85mm to shoot people. big_smile

Oct 06 14 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Capitol City Boudoir

Sacramento, California, US

When I do a portfolio shoot with a client, whether is for pay or TFCD there are a couple of things I do to minimize the after-shoot regrets.

1.  We meet ahead of time whenever possible, share portfolios and set levels of expectations as regard to quantity, size of images, wardrobe, make up, etc

2.  We shoot either tethered via a cable or wirelessly using a CamRanger set up so that the images from the camera, all of the images are displayed on a 24" hi-res, calibrated monitor.  Before we move onto the next look, we both have to decide that we're both satisfied with the results.

3.  After the shoot, I send the client two CDs.  One contains thumbnails of ALL of the images, good or bad so that a model can see what poses do and don't work for her. The second CD contains both high and medium res versions of the selected, retouched images.

Oct 06 14 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

OP I am in no way critiquing your look, however I will say, I did look at your portfolio, and if a photographer doesn't get good images of you, that's on him, it's in no way your fault.

It's entirely possible that you just ran into a poor shooter. I know from my own experience that what looks good on the camera back can look terrible when you go to edit it. Again, that's not the models fault.

Also and it's unfortunate, some people are just ass hats. Sounds like you ran into one.

Oct 06 14 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Who in their right mind intentionally throws in bad photos? LOL...Bullshit!

I've heard it all now..I can go! LOL

Oct 06 14 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

mental note: wear nice socks before I photograph a person.

Oct 06 14 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

garrinevan

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Here's a thought - do some modeling for group shoots in your area (check out Meetup.com, depending on where you live there are a ton of photography groups), and use this as an opportunity to 'audition' potential TF photographers. Could be one way to separate the good eggs from the bad, and at a minimum, get a feel for the photographer's character. You should never, ever be subjected to critical comments about your physique from any photographer.

I give tremendous credit to any model who puts herself (or himself) in front of a camera...it's an exercise in vulnerability for sure. Putting yourself out there for the world to see is an act of courage and should be applauded.

Oct 08 14 09:45 pm Link

Model

KMLM

Belize, Belize, Belize

DCurtis wrote:
mental note: wear nice socks before I photograph a person.

Please do seriously it's great karma! That really is the main point of the entire post wink

Oct 08 14 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

KitLizzadro wrote:
I know there were some good ones.

Actually you don't. Most likely those were the best ones. You can blame yourself, you can blame the photographer, but don't for a second believe that there are better images that are being "hidden" from you

KitLizzadro wrote:
Anyway I asked him about it and he said that the shoot wasn't good because he said it's because I am a plus size model and he doesn't shoot plus size models and it was a test shoot anyway for a different shoot.

Yes photographers use testing to test out new ideas or to try something before the paying client shoot.

KitLizzadro wrote:
Just really rude and dismissive. Basically he used me to set up for another shoot and then tried to make me feel bad.

actually you started it be saying he sent you terrible images

KitLizzadro wrote:
This is the first batch of photos I have received that were not good. This has never happened. I believe my profile accurately represents what I look like and is not misleading. Why shoot with me then if you don't shoot plus size?

who approached whom? If it was him approaching you you have a right to feel upset. If it was you approaching him then maybe he decided to take a chance and it didn't work out for either of you. In the end we can't comment any more specifically because it would be an unsolicited critique.

KitLizzadro wrote:
I asked to look at more which of course he ignored.

as would anyone

KitLizzadro wrote:
I know that I will not shoot with this guy again

He probably feels the same

KitLizzadro wrote:
and I know I need to let it go and move on. I guess I feel like he misrepresented why he was shooting with me and was incredibly inconsiderate to my end of the trade. I have a tendency to be a little too trusting and want the see the best in people.

How did he misrepresent? Are there girls who look like you in his book? Did he come to you or you to him? TF- used to be called testing. Sounds like he did just that.

KitLizzadro wrote:
Anyway I guess I need to vent more than anything and also looking for suggestions to set boundaries and agreements with photographers and good dialogue to have before hand. Like I said this is the first time this has ever happened sad

P.S. I should have known he was a bad egg by his crusty white socks.

Don't hesitate to judge a man by his socks.

You should pay for images or accept that the people you do tests with might not shoot something you like. Insulting his appearance doesn't help in any way. Honestly, if painfully, if you were a fashion model, which you are too short to be, you would be plus sized. You need to remeasure your waist, it is most likely 27 inches. I know this because i am your height, with a small waist for my weight and I have a 32 inch waist at 20 pounds heavier. I would lose about an inch per 10 pounds, so 29-30in is most likely your correct measurements. Having bad measurements on your profile will hurt you when you go in for a shoot because you are advertising something you can't deliver.

Also a size 8 is about 3-4 sizes larger than a fashion model size.

Wityhout knowing how the shoot was set up, and if you told him your true sizes, we can't know what could be expected to happen. We don't even know the type of shoot. Right now you seem to be in the beginning stages of portfolio building, as you do more you will train your eye and your heart and hopefully get better results.

IMO- your profile page comes off as a bit entitled and just a touch hostile. I don't know of anyone who would agree to work under your stipulations for paid work, so not sure how well TFP will go.

On the plus side you are healthy and pretty and doing something you want to do.

Oct 08 14 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

KitLizzadro wrote:

Please do seriously it's great karma! That really is the main point of the entire post wink

This is why I shoot barefoot and I don't own socks.

Oct 08 14 10:02 pm Link

Model

KMLM

Belize, Belize, Belize

Grady Richardson wrote:
Listen only to criticism from artists whom you respect.

This is one of the most valuable lessons I am learning here.

Oct 08 14 10:02 pm Link

Model

KMLM

Belize, Belize, Belize

Star wrote:
IMO- your profile page comes off as a bit entitled and just a touch hostile. I don't know of anyone who would agree to work under your stipulations for paid work, so not sure how well TFP will go.

Before I read your post I actually just updated my profile I agree to some extent that it was a bit hostile.

My main issue with all of this is not being labeled plus size because that doesn't bother me I am not trying to pass off as a fashion or commercial model. It's more that he blamed my size for the shoot going bad. He approached me which is why I was confused. It's all a big learning curve.

I've realized that I prefer to work with artists because I am more relaxed.

I don't have what it takes for fashion and commercial modeling.

Oct 08 14 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

KitLizzadro wrote:
I recently got back a bad batch of photos from a TFP. This surprised me because I thought the shoot went really well and was super excited to see them. The photographer and I got along really well. When I looked at the photos none of them were useable. They were mediocre and he intentionally sent unflattering terrible photos, which he says he sends as critiquing. All of the photos were unflattering that he sent and I know there were some good ones.

Anyway I asked him about it and he said that the shoot wasn't good because he said it's because I am a plus size model and he doesn't shoot plus size models and it was a test shoot anyway for a different shoot. Just really rude and dismissive. Basically he used me to set up for another shoot and then tried to make me feel bad. This is the first batch of photos I have received that were not good. This has never happened. I believe my profile accurately represents what I look like and is not misleading. Why shoot with me then if you don't shoot plus size?

I asked to look at more which of course he ignored. I know that I will not shoot with this guy again and I know I need to let it go and move on. I guess I feel like he misrepresented why he was shooting with me and was incredibly inconsiderate to my end of the trade. I have a tendency to be a little too trusting and want the see the best in people.

Anyway I guess I need to vent more than anything and also looking for suggestions to set boundaries and agreements with photographers and good dialogue to have before hand. Like I said this is the first time this has ever happened sad

P.S. I should have known he was a bad egg by his crusty white socks.

Don't hesitate to judge a man by his socks.

You are amazingly gorgeous and is he cannot get good shots with a model like you, then I doubt he can get any good shots at all! And.....BTW.......I kinda like my crusty white socks......  ;-)

Hang in there and good luck!

Oct 08 14 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

Any photography who blames a model's body size as the reason for the shoot not turning out well isn't willing to admit that he did a shit job and it's to blame for the crappy photos. He is a cry baby that rather blame others than himself. I hope he sees this thread....

YOU SUCK, you aren't a real photographer!!

Now, lets get back to you feeling used & humiliated.

First off, you are a pretty girl and you shouldn't feel bad that some douche bag tried to put the blame on you cause they aint man enough to take the heat.

Second you weren't used. The whole point of TFP/testing for most photographers is to make their crazy ideas reality as well as trying out new lighting/cameras/lens etc

I do a lot of test shoot with models. I have an idea, I will shoot that model hopefully get some wicked shots for her/him and shoot it again and better with the next model. It's how us artist work to perfect something and when we have gotten close enough to perfection we move on to testing other crazy ideas with many other models.

Don't feel used, it's not meant for that, it's how we create and it's how models also learn and get better at modelling. smile

Good luck and make sure to let people know about that douche bag....

Oct 09 14 08:20 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Geeeeeeeezzzzz, luckily, I don't wear socks  .  .  .  so, how kin ya tell  .  .  .  wink  Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience  .  .  .  sometimes people forget simple things like basic manners  .  .  . 

SOS

Oct 09 14 08:26 am Link