Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Dealing with police ....

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I know this post won't sit well with many, and frankly, what I'm about to say kind of irritates me a little.

A wise man once said that the place to debate LEO is in the courtroom, not on a street corner.

I get (and support) the Constitutional rights thingy but I've learned over the years that how you respond to LEO sets the stage for whatever follows. If you're nice and friendly, they tend to react in much the same manner. I've been caught red-handed for minor traffic shit many times in my life. The worst that has happened is a lecture and warning to be a little more careful in the future. Had I been an asshole, spouted off about the gubment and my rights, things might not have gone so well (for me).

Showing my ID may (or not, depending on the state) be a proper request.

A smart woman once said "don't sweat the small stuff."

If LEO wants to know who you are, they will find out. How they find out is, well, up to you. Show them your ID, or get busted for some minor BS (that will get dropped before ever going to court), go to jail, get printed, and let them run your prints.

So, yeah, proper or not, LEO is welcome to see my ID. Hell, LEO is welcome to come inside and look around without a warrant if it makes them happy.

Jebus, I lead a really boring life. . . . . . . .

Dec 29 14 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Igoumenítsa, Kentriki Ellada, Greece

again:

Officers would not have the knowledge of nor care about a rare-breed canine, it would go to the pound but by the hands of the the Animal Control Dept.

A notary is verifying legal information via a courts requirements.  A notary does not come pounding at your door with a gun and handcuffs the authority to revoke your freedoms and arrest you. (or shoot you if you resist)

you need to step further outside the box

Dec 29 14 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Lohkee, what you're stating is showing ID - when in a public area when a citable offence has been committed.

The OP's was regarding when there Was No Cause for the police presence at a persons residence and demanding of "Papers" = violating their privacy and trespassing on private property.  Residential and Tenancy laws also revolve around right of privacy.  It was a 4th amendment rights violation if the Officer had no probable cause/or refused to provide one to account for their line of questioning and detention of a private citizen who was "at home minding their own business".

Its undue harassment = unless the Officer can prove they had reason.  And they MUST provide reason prior to any questioning.

Many citizens are not aware or undereducated on the entire maze of laws to protect one from such abuse by authorities, and Police Officers are clue to their ignorance and exploit it to their own means.  An Officer can lie to you to get information, but you cannot lie back = how is that honorable conduct ?  Let an Officer freely search you, your car, inspect your home without justifiable cause, and they can fabricate a reason after the fact.

ie: Officers utilize fear/respect of their post to coerce cooperation to their own means to do whatever they want when you are given no knowledge whatsoever to their agenda is can be a dangerous situation fall into and unknowingly incriminate yourself for something you honestly had no clue about.  Innocent people go to jail all the time; but its also this invasion of privacy or lack thereof that is the forefront of public concern.

Expectation that any officer can do or demand what they want is the introduction of a Totalitarian Police State.
Total compliance.

...you have to stop and ask, Why is this person here at my home demanding who I am ? 
and why they think that wearing a badge is a shield against accountability.

Dec 29 14 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Lohkee wrote:
I get (and support) the Constitutional rights thingy but I've learned over the years that how you respond to LEO sets the stage for whatever follows. If you're nice and friendly, they tend to react in much the same manner. I've been caught red-handed for minor traffic shit many times in my life. The worst that has happened is a lecture and warning to be a little more careful in the future. Had I been an asshole, spouted off about the gubment and my rights, things might not have gone so well (for me).

Same way here. My last five (yeah, five!!) times I've been stopped for traffic violations have resulted in either a friendly wave-off or a written warning. In each case, I was pleasant, explained why I was doing what I was doing, told them I was sorry, and in each case, they carefully removed the hook and threw the trout back in the stream.

Now, earlier in my youth, there was the incident where the cop pulled over a long-haired kid on a motorcycle and screamed at the kid for the way the kid was riding. The kid was shocked by the tone but still didn't resist, got a ticket he didn't deserve, stewed about it for a while, then shrugged, got on with life, and has had reasonably positive experiences with law enforcement ever since. Sometimes (not always, but sometimes) it's what you make of it.

So, yeah, proper or not, LEO is welcome to see my ID. Hell, LEO is welcome to come inside and look around without a warrant if it makes them happy.

I feel your pain. Wait.... is it pain?

The Grey Forest wrote:
Officers would not have the knowledge of nor care about a rare-breed canine, it would go to the pound but by the hands of the the Animal Control Dept.

Well, I'll knock off the humor. If Fido was garden-variety terrier, and the tag said, "Please return my beloved Fido to ____" with my name and address, maybe it's just that we live in different places, but I would not be surprised at all if a cop came to the door, Fido under his arm, to return to master but asking for ID just to make sure he had the right place.

A notary is verifying legal information via a courts requirements.  A notary does not come pounding at your door with a gun and handcuffs the authority to revoke your freedoms and arrest you. (or shoot you if you resist)

Well, in the instance where the cops came to my door, they weren't pounding with a gun and handcuffs. If they were pounding and waving a gun and handcuffs, that would change my perception of the OP. In fact, if they were waving a gun and handcuffs, I'd have my hands behind my head and be even more compliant.

you need to step further outside the box

I'll make this easy, maybe. We've both explained what we'd do and why. We're each within our rights to do what we say we'd do. In my case, not only is it hypothetical, but it's worked for me.

It wouldn't work for you. That's fine. Again, you're within your rights. It's a big world with room in it for a lot of different people.

Dec 29 14 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

If you have nothing to hide, why do you need the 5th amendment?

Interesting question.
"If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear".

Of course one could ask, "Why is the government trying to hide so much?" And why are the cops so afraid of having their actions documented?

Dec 29 14 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The Grey Forest wrote:
Lohkee, what you're stating is showing ID - when in a public area when a citable offence has been committed.

The OP's was regarding when there Was No Cause for the police presence at a persons residence and demanding of "Papers" = violating their privacy and trespassing on private property.  Residential and Tenancy laws also revolve around right of privacy.  It was a 4th amendment rights violation if the Officer had no probable cause/or refused to provide one to account for their line of questioning and detention of a private citizen who was "at home minding their own business".

Its undue harassment = unless the Officer can prove they had reason.  And they MUST provide reason prior to any questioning.

The OP didn't say that in this hypothetical situation if the cop actually entered the property or not... it sounded like the cop didn't go past the front door.

The OP also didn't say if the hypothetical cop offered any reason for asking for the ID or not... was there a hunt going on in the neighborhood for a crazed carjacker that just fled on foot, or what was the reason for the visit?

Has anyone in this thread ever heard of cops knocking on doors and checking ID's when there wasn't a neighborhood fugitive search going on, or some complaint against the resident, checking in on someone who's on probation, or some such situation just out of the blue for no reason? I can't recall any such stories... ever.

Dec 29 14 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

The Grey Forest wrote:

Trouble is they are allowed to lie.

"Sir, we were called about a disturbance at this address."

Dec 29 14 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lohkee wrote:
I know this post won't sit well with many, and frankly, what I'm about to say kind of irritates me a little.

A wise man once said that the place to debate LEO is in the courtroom, not on a street corner.

If LEO wants to know who you are, they will find out. How they find out is, well, up to you. Show them your ID, or get busted for some minor BS (that will get dropped before ever going to court), go to jail, get printed, and let them run your prints.

Which has nothing to do with them knocking on your door out of the blue.

Dec 29 14 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
Has anyone in this thread ever heard of cops knocking on doors and checking ID's when there wasn't a neighborhood fugitive search going on, or some complaint against the resident, checking in on someone who's on probation, or some such situation just out of the blue for no reason? I can't recall any such stories... ever.

Answer: Google it.  You have internet, try researching it sometime...

Dec 29 14 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Never talk to the police
Law Professor James Duane
http://youtu.be/6wXkI4t7nuc

Dec 29 14 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

Cherrystone wrote:

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/ronhuff.htm

"problems included negligence by criminal justice officials, coerced confessions, "frame ups" by guilty parties, and general overzealousness by officers and prosecutors"

And you believe when you get one of those off the reservation officers that not cooperating with him is the way to go?

Dec 29 14 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Lohkee wrote:

I agree.  And not to introduce an inadmissible soapbox topic here, there is an underlying question as to the reason for stop and frisk that I must introduce in order to respond completely.  I'm white and live (most of my life) in a predominately black and brown neighborhood.  My experience and observation is that nearly all of us cooperate fully and cheerfully with our local police officers, whatever our views on the subject.  Even the bad guys (except for drunks and damned fools) do so for the simple reason that it ultimately serves no purpose to mouth off.  Mostly, we go out of our way to be polite and supportive,in our daily interactions, commiserating with the lone patrolman on post in the middle of a snowstorm, throwing out a cheerful "Good Morning" when passing the bunch on the steps of the precinct house beside the subway station.  Nothing obsequious about it, just neighborliness.   And our local cops tend to return the favor-- you can almost gauge a rookie's time in the precinct by his willingness to join in.  As I say, just neighborliness.

So yes, absent any glaring abuse by the officer, I would produce my ID.  I'l also ask him why he needs to check and if there are any special steps I should be taking to protect myself and my family.  I'd also thank him for taking the time to check in and make sure that we're safe..  It's the neighborly thing to do.

Dec 29 14 03:19 pm Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Pick one:
You have the right to pick your teeth up off of your front porch with your hands in handcuffs while waiting on transportation to the local jail.
or
You can make the cop's job a lot easier and disarm the situation by simply asking why as you produce your ID.

Look at a cop for a second... how much should a cop be paid to walk around with a bull's eye target on front and back in many cases?
Make the guy's job a little easier - let him know, in no uncertain terms, that his family will see him for dinner that night.

Dec 29 14 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Daren King

Santa Monica, California, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
Suppose you're at home one day minding your own business and not making a whole bunch of noise. A police officer rings your doorbell. When you answer the door, they ask "are you _____________ (whatever your name is)?" You say yes, I am. They ask "can I see some ID?"

Do you A) say yes and hand it to them, B) say no, C) say no but have a good day (while closing the door), D) ask why they want to see your ID, or E) something else that I haven't thought about as yet?

Inquiring minds want to know.

There is a difference between providing your name and date of birth to police and providing the police a state issued form of ID.

In no state in America are people required to provide a state issued physical piece of ID to police unless they are operating a motor vehicle or in some cases carrying a concealed weapon.

The answer to your question though is F ) turn on video camera and do not answer the door

Dec 29 14 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Herman Surkis wrote:
Trouble is they are allowed to lie.

"Sir, we were called about a disturbance at this address."

and here is the Crux of the problem.  Most people are under the illusion that officers are goody-two-shoes Protectors of the Public untainted knights of Right who do not / nor cannot lie !   They can and will and do lie on when its opportune to do so.

Its a job, supposedly to enforce the law - but a few get bored or overzealous at times and try to act as judge & jury to frame or fabricate scenarios or to center their aggravation of their job on some poor slob when they had a bad day.  Not everyone who wears a badge has or can retain the correct mindset for it duties.

Officers are allowed to lie about anyone or anything; then oddly, claim that they are telling the truth in a courtroom under oath ?  Yet if a citizen tells a lie, elaboration,small fib in any manner whatsoever = even unintentionally in the course of a conversation you can be arrested for lying to an officer or obstruction:  thus, do not talk to police ~ you can get yourself in all sorts of trouble just by opening your mouth, especially so if they are looking for an excuse.

Dec 29 14 03:22 pm Link

Model

Amber West

Dumfries, Scotland, United Kingdom

Connor Photography wrote:

I would politely say: 
Sure Officer, there is no problem.  May I see your ID/credential , and where is your patrol car and partner? 

Yes, I would most certainly (if they did not immediately offer it first) ask for ID from them. After that, if I was sufficiently happy with it I would ask what it's regarding and proceed to co-operate.

Dec 29 14 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

K E E L I N G wrote:

And you believe when you get one of those off the reservation officers that not cooperating with him is the way to go?

I've seen first hand too many times over the years what some cops are capable of.

If one were to ask me a question that could even remotely involve me in their games, I have no idea whether they might be in the "some" category.

You can certainly roll over if you want, but I'll pass. smile

Dec 29 14 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Cherrystone wrote:
Which has nothing to do with them knocking on your door out of the blue.

Depends on how you look at it. Also depends on how you respond. I've had LEO knock the door asking questions about something going down. In fact, I had LEO ask to search my property (they were looking for a carjacker who bailed after a high speed chase that they believed was in or on my property). Guess I could have been "uncooperative" and demanded a warrant but I choose the easier route. No warrant, I just asked if I could secure my dog before they turned the LEO-dogs loose (because I didn't want my dog to get injured if something went down). LEO was very nice. Once my dog was safe they yelled "Fresno PD! Come out with your hands in the air or we'll set the dogs loose!" LEO-dogs went through my house and then into the basement. The perp was hiding behind the garage. He made a run for it. Actually pretty impressive. He made it about two blocks before the dogs did, well, what LEO dogs do.That dude could freaking RUN! I don't imagine he was a happy camper though.

There are many shades of grey here.

Dec 29 14 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

JoJo wrote:
Pick one:
You have the right to pick your teeth up off of your front porch with your hands in handcuffs while waiting on transportation to the local jail.
or
You can make the cop's job a lot easier and disarm the situation by simply asking why as you produce your ID.

Look at a cop for a second... how much should a cop be paid to walk around with a bull's eye target on front and back in many cases?
Make the guy's job a little easier - let him know, in no uncertain terms, that his family will see him for dinner that night.

This comment is so out of line, it doesn't belong here   ...truly offensive behavior by a "Moderator"
you just reduced this point to a "Produce your papers or we will beat you senseless in your own home" as permissible violence by the police.  wtf ?

Dec 29 14 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Seems to be quite a variety here.

Be obstinate and don't say anything.....

.... or surrender and do what you're told.

Now there is a middle ground of just acting how you feel is appropriate to the situation, in a way that gets everyone through it with the least hassle and the most positive outcome, and it doesn't mean you're being obstreperous or rolling over. It just means you're reacting how you feel is appropriate to the situation.

Dec 29 14 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Justin wrote:
Now there is a middle ground of just acting how you feel is appropriate to the situation,

There's really not a middle ground in the OP's situation. You either produce your ID or you don't.

Dec 29 14 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

The Grey Forest wrote:
This comment is so out of line, it doesn't belong here   ...truly offensive behavior by a "Moderator"
you just reduced this point to a "Produce your papers or we will beat you senseless in your own home" as permissible violence by the police.  wtf ?

I think you missed her point my several miles.. . . . . . .

To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn . . . . . .

Or, if you prefer country . . . . . .

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done

Dec 29 14 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Justin wrote:
Now there is a middle ground of just acting how you feel is appropriate to the situation,

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
There's really not a middle ground in the OP's situation. You either produce your ID or you don't.

Devil's in the details. Are they waving a gun and handcuffs? Or do they have Fido tucked under an arm? Or are they stern and authoritarian? Or relaxed and polite?

For those who occupy the philosophical middle ground, their reaction will probably depend on tone of the situation and not either just "never talk" or just "roll over."

Dec 29 14 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Los Angeles, California, US

If someone who

a.) did not live at my residence
b.) did not know me (and I did not know)
c.) appeared to be wearing the uniform of an officer of the law
d.) asked me to show them identification

…well, I would say "I have no issue showing my identification to the police but I would very much appreciate that you confirm for me that you are, in fact, law enforcement officers and clarify the nature of your visit. I am concerned about identity theft, scams in general and personal safety."

That being said, the procedure itself (outside of responding to how I'd behave in the situation; more speaking to the dynamics of the hypothetical) is off-putting. Someone comes to my house and asks me to identify myself without telling me why? It seems to me that the assumption is that the person inside of the house has every right to be there and the police do not have any inherent right to know who is in the residence. No inherent right. There could be some other reasons (investigative purposes) where the police would want to know who is at home but… I don't know this for fact, it just seems like the logical thing…

…that seems like it would be the responsibility of the police to state their intentions at the outset and their reasons for asking. Even if it's "Good evening, sir. We need to speak with a Mr. Kincaid Blackwood. Would that be you, sir? This matter is important and we would like to verify that you are, in fact, Mr. Blackwood; would you be so kind as to show us a form photo identification please?" Those requests should be peppered with "Sorry for the inconvenience. You are in no trouble. This is in regard to an investigation. If you would rather not speak to us here's our card you can call." and shit like that.

The notion that a cop could come to my house and ask me to identify myself when I've done nothing wrong and not have the courtesy to tell me why really offends me. On the other hand, for a number of Soapboxy reasons coupled with the fact that I live in Georgia; I don't really have the flexibility to stand on such principles with police. That could really get me killed.

Dec 29 14 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Justin wrote:
If I need to have something notarized, the notary might ask me, "Are you Justin?" I say yes. The notary says, "May I see a photo ID?" It's not because the notary disbelieves me, necessarily. It's because establishing identity is a part of the notary's job.

A notary is just doing their job. It's the same (to me) as going to the DMV to register a car, renew a license or most anything else. They want to be sure they are issuing these legal documents to a person who has the legal right to possess them.  No notary is going to come to a person's door to ask if they are ________ and then ask for ID to prove it.

The last time I went to the ER, they asked me for ID. It was likely for billing purposes (if I defaulted on the bill, I wouldn't be able to say it wasn't me). I don't necessarily like these things but it happens. There was a time when I went to an ER 2 nights in a row.  The 2nd night I forgot my wallet at home so I had no ID. They treated me anyway. I'm sure that they'd be in deep fecal matter if they didn't treat a person because they didn't have ID.

As anti police as I am, I don't go out of my way to be impolite or unruly with them. I have actually gone out of my way to help on at least one occasion (long story). When they want to inconvenience or hassle me, that's when I'm not all that nice to them.

Dec 29 14 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'd offer them a toke from a blunt, and tell em to have a nice day...

Dec 29 14 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
Suppose you're at home one day minding your own business and not making a whole bunch of noise. A police officer rings your doorbell. When you answer the door, they ask "are you _____________ (whatever your name is)?" You say yes, I am. They ask "can I see some ID?"

Do you A) say yes and hand it to them, B) say no, C) say no but have a good day (while closing the door), D) ask why they want to see your ID, or E) something else that I haven't thought about as yet?

Your scenario is weird. You will need to install a screen door to your entry. It will need a simple hook with eyelet. My front door is a burglar proof door and requires a key to open, but it is in effect a screen door having a screen covering it.

At three in the morning I was awaken by a pounding sound, police, they wanted in. I simply did not ask the why question, I simply asked if they had a warrant. No came the answer and I told them good night! They continued demanding to open and let them in and I called 911 and asked what was going on and could they connect me to the supervisor. The dispatch could hear them but I continued to refuse them entry. No warrant, no open the door, even if it is a screen door. Make them break and enter, then have your attorney tell the judge for their arrest later.

Never argue with a cop, they are dogs on leashes. The court is the only authority that can un-arrest you, and you need to know that. When I say court I am referring to YOUR lawyer and the judge. I got this education from the Bexar County Sheriff.

Dec 29 14 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lohkee wrote:

Depends on how you look at it. Also depends on how you respond. I've had LEO knock the door asking questions about something going down. In fact, I had LEO ask to search my property (they were looking for a carjacker who bailed after a high speed chase that they believed was in or on my property). Guess I could have been "uncooperative" and demanded a warrant but I choose the easier route. No warrant, I just asked if I could secure my dog before they turned the LEO-dogs loose (because I didn't want my dog to get injured if something went down). LEO was very nice. Once my dog was safe they yelled "Fresno PD! Come out with your hands in the air or we'll set the dogs loose!" LEO-dogs went through my house and then into the basement. The perp was hiding behind the garage. He made a run for it. Actually pretty impressive. He made it about two blocks before the dogs did, well, what LEO dogs do.That dude could freaking RUN! I don't imagine he was a happy camper though.

There are many shades of grey here.

Read my first post in this thread. smile

Dec 29 14 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

JoJo wrote:
Pick one:
or

Seriously? hmm

Dec 29 14 05:14 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Tim Summa wrote:
At three in the morning I was awaken by a pounding sound, police, they wanted in. I simply did not ask the why question, I simply asked if they had a warrant. No came the answer and I told them good night! They continued demanding to open and let them in and I called 911 and asked what was going on and could they connect me to the supervisor. The dispatch could hear them but I continued to refuse them entry.

And the rest of the story is?

Dec 29 14 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

JoJo wrote:
Pick one:
or

How about this: the cop can go away mad or he can just go away?

Dec 29 14 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Daren King

Santa Monica, California, US

Okay here is a scenario....
you are a photographer and you love to photograph interesting things.  One night you are driving by an oil refinery in America and its light up against the night sky in the most amazing display of colors.
You decide to stop and apply your craft and passion for art.
After photographing for a few minutes 3 cop cars pull up and immediately start questioning you. 
"whats your name, why are you here, what are you taking picture for, what are these pictures for"  ?
There are 6 police officers and they physically surround you.
They ask if you have any drugs or weapons in your back pack.  They ask if you are on parole or probation.
They ask if you are a soveiregn citizen and if you have any hatred for law enforcement.
They ask to pat you down.  They ask to search your camera bag.  They demand to see your pictures.
They ask how you got there.  Where is your car. 
They ask "don't you think its very unusual in this day and age after 9-11 that someone would photograph an oil refinery".
You look around and now there are 9 police officers there and 4 oil refinery security guards.  The police and security are taking pictures of you.   
The police ask where you are employed.  They ask if you travel a lot.   
The police are angry and very accusatory.

After 45 minutes they let you go.

Dec 29 14 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:

This depends if you like giving out info and showing your papers when asked for no reason.
You opened the door.
Opening your door gives cops, in court, a way to say you invited them in, they thought they heard a scream, they smelled drugs, the saw something suspicious,  And judges usually agree with them.
DON'T open your door. Leave your door closed, and locked.
Talk through the closed/locked door.
If the cop threatens to break it down.
Tell them you don't allow anyone in the house without a warrant, so they'll have to break it down.
Remember, usually, If they had a warrant, they wouldn't be knocking, the door would already be off it's hinges.

Also, consulting with a lawyer in your area, about this very thing, can be beneficial to you.
KNOW your rights.
Exercise those rights.
Stand up for those rights.

Dec 29 14 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

A few years ago, we had a rash of home invasions in town. Bad guy was dressing as a delivery guy, when you opened your door to him, he and his buddies would rush the door.

Local PD recommended  not opening the door until you are sure you actually know the id of they guy on your porch. Call the delivery or utility company---legit employees all have id.

So, about a year ago, I look thru the spy hole to see who is banging on my door-- it was a uniformed officer.

Thru the locked door, I asked what he wanted. He wanted me to id myself--which I did... he wanted me to open the door and show him id-- I asked why, he said they were called about trouble at the address. He was kinda pissed I wouldnt open the door.

I told him to hang on, and called the PD. Asked them if they had an officer at my door (they did) and describe him (they did).

He was STILL pissed when I did open up and told him why he had been delayed....but I think he kinda understood as well.

Oh--showed him my id and he asked if there WAS any trouble at the addy---told him no, and off he went.

And I was 100% polite---but firm. After all, its my home, I was inside, and KNEW I was causing no trouble.

Dec 29 14 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

rfordphotos wrote:
Oh--showed him my id and he asked if there WAS any trouble at the addy---told him no, and off he went.

And I was 100% polite---but firm. After all, its my home, I was inside, and KNEW I was causing no trouble.

My question to you is this: suppose it's true that there was a report filed of something going on at your address and this cop responds. How did he know you weren't lying to him about there being no trouble? Is it because you showed him your ID?

Suppose you had kidnapped 7 people and had them all tied up in your basement. Did he search the place? Did he ask to search the place? Or did he just take your word for it as you showed him your ID? Why did he need ID to "verify" who you are? He could've done the same thing quicker if he knocked on the door, you ask what he wants and he says there was a report of trouble here. You tell him there is no trouble without opening the door and he goes away.

Dec 29 14 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
My question to you is this: suppose it's true that there was a report filed of something going on at your address and this cop responds. How did he know you weren't lying to him about there being no trouble? Is it because you showed him your ID?

Suppose you had kidnapped 7 people and had them all tied up in your basement. Did he search the place? Did he ask to search the place? Or did he just take your word for it as you showed him your ID? Why did he need ID to "verify" who you are? He could've done the same thing quicker if he knocked on the door, you ask what he wants and he says there was a report of trouble here. You tell him there is no trouble without opening the door and he goes away.

In this instance, I believe the "trouble" "reported" was supposed to be a break-in/burglary. Once I was properly identified as the homeowner he probably felt pretty comfortable there was no actual trouble.... I live alone so the house was quiet behind me.

If he had asked to come in and look around----chances are I would have let him (nothing to hide)....because I was comfortable with his assignment. If he had come to the door unannounced, and demanded access----with no real explanation---I would have asked for a warrant.

As for how he "knew" there was no real problem at the house--- smile one look at my cherubic, innocent face he was convinced I was a good guy.......(ok, maybe being old, fat and using a cane convinced him....)

Dec 29 14 07:01 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

A friend of mine was home with her husband.  The cops came.  They asked her if she was alright.  She said she was.  Then they said they needed to search the house to make sure that no one else was there.  They let them search. 

Have heard of being "swated"?  Where someone calls the cops and tells them there is a guy in the house with a gun and he is threatening murder/suicide?  A friend's daughter was pissed that he threw her friends off the property and interrupted her drug deal.  His daughter got him arrested.  Told the cops he had a gun and he was waiting for them.

Dec 29 14 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

I was late going to the airport to pick up a friend. In my haste I cut across the street from the parking lot to the terminal, without going to the crosswalk.

One of the cops that keep traffic moving by the baggage claim "pulled me over" for jaywalking and pulled out his ticket pad to give me a ticket.

He asked for my drivers license.

I told him I don't have it.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Because I'm not driving" I replied.

I asked if he wanted to take me to see his supervisor.

In his frustration he stuck his stubby finger in my face and told me not to do this again, "or else .... "

I'm SURE he would have given me a ticket if I handed him my drivers license. His concern for my safety was probably irrelevant, compared to his obsession for writing tickets as fast as he can.

In fact, my wallet with my drivers license was in my back pocket.

I lied.

They lie too, to manipulate and trap us if they can. It's police department policy. It also seems to be police department policy now to write two tickets at a time for each time they stop someone. I guess they consider the time they spend writing tickets to be valuable. Too many tickets to write, too little time.

Fair enough, I say.

I'm not the guy who made these stupid rules of engagement for revenue enhancement.

Dec 29 14 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Have heard of being "swated"?  Where someone calls the cops and tells them there is a guy in the house with a gun and he is threatening murder/suicide?  A friend's daughter was pissed that he threw her friends off the property and interrupted her drug deal.  His daughter got him arrested.  Told the cops he had a gun and he was waiting for them.

Hopefully once the cops had done their job, and all the facts got sorted out, the daughter who gave the false report causing the whole situation was dealt with appropriately.

Dec 29 14 07:36 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
Hopefully once the cops had done their job, and all the facts got sorted out, the daughter who gave the false report causing the whole situation was dealt with appropriately.

They jailed him for firearms charges.  He eventually got time served (9 months) and lots of probation.  The DA was pushing for 10 years (as a deal- 20 without a guilty plea) and a felony conviction.  The daughter was admitting she lied.  I went to one of the hearings and the ADA knew she was going to recant.  The ADA told her on the stand, if she changed her story, she would go to jail for perjury.  She didn't recant.  Eventually she got busted for drugs when the post office intercepted pot from CA.  Then the DA reduced the charges to a misdemeanor.  In the meantime, she robbed her dad blind.  DA never once asked for his side of the story.

Dec 29 14 07:57 pm Link