Forums > Model Colloquy > Models who don't update profile or portfolio

Photographer

Sean Henry

Los Angeles, California, US

It is such a mystery to me that there are model profiles that haven't been updated in many months yet they check their site every day. A number of these models I have emailed more than once with absolutely no response.  I wonder if they are actual profiles. It's not a case of not getting responses generally, as I do fine with that.  I don't know what the protocol is with listing them and I don't want to stir something up, but it just seems like a waste of time for all involved.

Feb 07 15 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Henry L Michel

New Hope, Minnesota, US

I've noticed a few who sign in regularly but never update their ports and then noticed that they do in fact update their FB, flickr and Instagram accounts on a regular basis.
And a couple with ports weaker than mine(and that's saying a lot) who have images elsewhere that are awesome.

Feb 07 15 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Light on Location

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Well it's because they are too busy posting to their

"I am a Model," Facebook Page." to actually work.

Selfies with their BFF's count more than good wok.

They are busy, dont you unnerstan?

Feb 08 15 03:37 am Link

Model

Echo_

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Natural Light on Location wrote:
Well it's because they are too busy posting to their

"I am a Model," Facebook Page." to actually work.

Selfies with their BFF's count more than good wok.

They are busy, dont you unnerstan?

No I think it's because (at least for me) I haven't been getting work through here like I used to. A lot has been coming from FB

Feb 08 15 05:38 am Link

Photographer

L O C U T U S

Bangor, Maine, US

This may be true.
But also consider that the model might be getting much more attention and offers from a different site, so the model is focusing on that area more.
It's like if I am hungry and go to a store and they never have what I want to eat.
I will seldom do business there once I have found a place that carries the things i crave most.
Why worry about marketing in an area that isn't interested in what you're offering?
That type of thing...

Feb 08 15 05:48 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

It hardly matters because most portfolios on this site lack direction and focus. To many jacks of all trades and it's usually photographers.

Feb 08 15 05:52 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

There are photographers on here who still log in, and contact MM models to book shoots, but have not added new images in YEARS.

What happens to all the new photos?

We shall never know.

To be completely honest, I am still shooting for personal enjoyment (got a fulltime job last fall, so not traveling anymore), but there's not much use to add photos to MM from the past few months. The number of views, tags and emails that I get here has probably decreased by 75% since 2013. I figure, at some point, MM will be so completely dead that instead of the three or so emails I get per month these days, it'll drop to one or fewer and since I'm not really into regular social media (Facebook, Instagram,etc) and have no interest in networking outside of a modeling-specific site, that will be the absolute end of my time as a model. Not even anymore shoots for fun, because there won't be anywhere to network for those.

Feb 08 15 05:54 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Sean Henry wrote:
It is such a mystery to me that there are model profiles that haven't been updated in many months yet they check their site every day. A number of these models I have emailed more than once with absolutely no response.  I wonder if they are actual profiles. It's not a case of not getting responses generally, as I do fine with that.  I don't know what the protocol is with listing them and I don't want to stir something up, but it just seems like a waste of time for all involved.

1. If "not getting responses" isn't the issue, then what's the problem? & why do you feel its an issue you need to address? Their port is their port, your port is your port.

2. If they're anything like me, "Maybe I should post this one? But I have another that's to similar like it. Maybe I should post that one? But I think I threw this up on Tumblr or Facebook or deviantArt & I want to post unseen material. What if I post that one over there? The picture looks great but the model was a diva & don't want to post it & have people (online people anyways) construe it as an endorsement. Eh, fuck it! I'll post later."

Feb 08 15 06:44 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

This is all deadhorse and will come to naught, for MM makes more $$$ by having more members, whether they are dead or not.

Feb 08 15 06:55 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Koryn wrote:
There are photographers on here who still log in, and contact MM models to book shoots, but have not added new images in YEARS.

What happens to all the new photos?

We shall never know.

To be completely honest, I am still shooting for personal enjoyment (got a fulltime job last fall, so not traveling anymore), but there's not much use to add photos to MM from the past few months. The number of views, tags and emails that I get here has probably decreased by 75% since 2013. I figure, at some point, MM will be so completely dead that instead of the three or so emails I get per month these days, it'll drop to one or fewer and since I'm not really into regular social media (Facebook, Instagram,etc) and have no interest in networking outside of a modeling-specific site, that will be the absolute end of my time as a model. Not even anymore shoots for fun, because there won't be anywhere to network for those.

Amen, sister.   +1000

I would need to pay someone to do social media for me.  I simply do not want a Facebook account, and frankly, my kind of work wouldnt be allowed on there anyways.

I would love for mm to have a category : 1) I is sirius model who works and travels to pay rent OR 2) I am a pretty gurl who is just fucking around a bit to see how far I can push this.

Feb 08 15 07:41 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

OP,

On a side note:

I'm waiting for TF pictures from fucking APRIL 2014. ( you know who you are!!!)

If I don't get the flaming work back, I can't post it, can I?!?
And my profile ?? Why would I want to change that??

Feb 08 15 07:43 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Amadea T wrote:

OP - Keep in mind that many models are dealing with this ^^^ situation, and it's gotten worse during the past couple of years.

In 2010, I was consistently shooting 3-5 days per week. Several of those would be paid shoots, and one or two weekly would be trade. I almost always got back images within a couple of months, and was able to keep a quick turnover in updating my portfolio. Contrast that to now, when you have a number of internet-based models reporting they are consistently being "bailed on" by sometimes half the people they shoot trade with. I've dealt with my fair share of this since 2013 as well; during 2013, approximately half the trade shoots I did resulted in never hearing from those photographers again - no photos, no answer to emails or attempted contacts. That trend continued into 2014 with people who PAID me for shoots being far more likely (than trade shooters) to give me photos afterwards, as a courtesy and kind gesture.

How in the world are models supposed to update their ports when you go and do the work, then POOF! the photographers disappear into thin air?

You guys bitch and moan a whole heckova lot about models' behavior, but if you don't think there's been a serious decline in professionalism among (online networking) photographers during recent years as well, you're just deluding yourselves.

Feb 08 15 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Koryn wrote:
OP - Keep in mind that many models are dealing with this ^^^ situation, and it's gotten worse during the past couple of years.

In 2010, I was consistently shooting 3-5 days per week. Several of those would be paid shoots, and one or two weekly would be trade. I almost always got back images within a couple of months, and was able to keep a quick turnover in updating my portfolio. Contrast that to now, when you have a number of internet-based models reporting they are consistently being "bailed on" by sometimes half the people they shoot trade with. I've dealt with my fair share of this since 2013 as well; during 2013, approximately half the trade shoots I did resulted in never hearing from those photographers again - no photos, no answer to emails or attempted contacts. That trend continued into 2014 with people who PAID me for shoots being far more likely (than trade shooters) to give me photos afterwards, as a courtesy and kind gesture.

How in the world are models supposed to update their ports when you go and do the work, then POOF! the photographers disappear into thin air?

You guys bitch and moan a whole heckova lot about models' behavior, but if you don't think there's been a serious decline in professionalism among (online networking) photographers during recent years as well, you're just deluding yourselves.

True!

Feb 08 15 09:24 am Link

Photographer

ValHig

London, England, United Kingdom

If your current portfolio is getting you plenty of paid work and you haven't changed how you look, why would you feel compelled to updated it all the time?

Models often update their social media and blogs/sites  but keep things like MM the same because their previous work does the job. I don't get why this bothers people so much.

Feb 08 15 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Sean Henry

Thank you. There have been some very thoughtful responses to my question.  The fact that there are other places to find work is something a model I have worked with has mentioned. She tends to work more through instagram these days. But the models I know who work a lot simply put that information on here as well so that photographers know other routes to contact them.  I admit to amount of frustration because I really want to work with some of these models who post but don’t update of respond, but I don’t actually think they are on the site to work. Their profiles have been on for years, they look at it everyday but they never add new images. If they are going to be spending the time to look everyday, why not drop a new pic? It is not something I should spend time on, but I was curious as to others opinions of the phenomenon.

I stay in contact with all my models that I have set up a trade and when I am running behind I let them know. Every model that I have set up a trade with has received images and most of my paid models as well.  It seems like so many things these days, there is constant change in the mode in which models and photographers can network with each other.

Feb 08 15 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Koryn wrote:

When photographers don't share images with models it usually means they didn't look very good and instead of being candid and explaining that they simply don't give out the photos.   Photographers in general want their work seen.   I have no way of knowing if there has been a serious decline in professionalism.   Where are getting your data from?   Judging by the constant updates on Facebook and this site from models I would disagree.   Things seem to be about the same.   MM is not as popular as it once was.   My experience has generally been that its models who go POOF.   I see the same shooters here that were here when I joined years past.   Newer photographers rarely pull their membership.   I can't say the same for models who were here when I joined.

The real reason so many models rarely if ever update.   Get ready.   Its  a shocker.   Its because they stopped shooting.

Feb 08 15 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

For those models who never receive their images, are any of the pictures to be found in the photographer's portfolio(s)? It would seem downright fraudulent were that the case (as opposed to lazy/irresponsible, which is of course reprehensible in its own right).

Feb 08 15 03:06 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

If you have e-mailed them and they haven't responded why are you wasting your time sending another e-mail? They are not interested for whatever reason. Spend your time contacting someone else.

Feb 08 15 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Amadea T wrote:
OP,

On a side note:

And my profile ?? Why would I want to change that??

Are you talking to me!!!

Feb 08 15 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Sean Henry wrote:

Just as a point of argument, the last photo you have posted was from 5 months ago.

So what's your excuse?  Can the argument be made that models would like to see what you have done most recently?

Feb 09 15 08:16 am Link

Model

JadeDRed

Good Egg Productions wrote:

Just as a point of argument, the last photo you have posted was from 5 months ago.

So what's your excuse?  Can the argument be made that models would like to see what you have done most recently?

It's amazing the frequency across all sites people complain about models who rarely shoot, or haven't shot in months "clogging up" the sites and wasting everyone's time (somehow?) by being so half-arsed and lazy. And yet there are many photographer members who shoot infrequently, and often some will admit they haven't shot for months and its not unheard of to hear some admit they haven't shot in YEARS, but they just like to hang around and I have never, ever seen anyone address them or start a thread to complain about them.

Feb 09 15 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

JadeDRed wrote:

It's amazing the frequency across all sites people complain about models who rarely shoot, or haven't shot in months "clogging up" the sites and wasting everyone's time (somehow?) by being so half-arsed and lazy. And yet there are many photographer members who shoot infrequently, and often some will admit they haven't shot for months and its not unheard of to hear some admit they haven't shot in YEARS, but they just like to hang around and I have never, ever seen anyone address them or start a thread to complain about them.

If models actually showed and were reliable more photographers WOULD update.   I've largely given up on contacting models for sessions.   95% never reply even for paid work.   When they do they flake or come unprepared to shoot.   All photographers can really do is offer to shoot.   Models have to follow up.   Last year at several planned groupshoots where multiple models confirmed only one or two out of seven or more came.   All of the photographers showed but its a turn off to have to wait hours to shoot or shoot over someones shoulder.   I attended one workshop where only one model came when five were promised.   The organizer reached out to me and I found two local models.   Frustrating for those photographers who had paid their money.

I would shoot every free day but frankly getting models to show is too often a exercise in  futility.     I know shooters who have invested thousands in lights, cameras, software, etc.   They want to shoot  yet finding reliable models even when they pay is hard and has gotten more difficult over the past several years.   Not for everyone of course but there are good reasons we see so many threads about model flakes and no shows and so few about photographers who flake.   One of the saddest events I ever attended was a woman in Chicago who had reached out on Facebook for models for a new magazine.   She found a space for the audition and of the over 30 models who were ' excited and serious' only four showed.

Feb 09 15 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

JadeDRed wrote:

Photographers aren't the ones in front of the camera.

Feb 09 15 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Spring

WIP wrote:

Actually, she has a point.... but to be honest if the photos aren't recent enough why not just ask to see the latest work? To make a shoot successful the communication is as important as anything, they may just direct you to a FB page or another portfolio elsewhere. I never update here, but I have work I can show if required for any reason.

Feb 09 15 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Henry

Good Egg Productions wrote:

My last image was posted January 2015

Feb 09 15 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Amul La La

are the best Model's.

Feb 09 15 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I never update my photos, I'm that lazy.

I really don't care if the models do either as long as they are current enough to show what they look like. But even when they are updated the images are so smoothed out and manipulated that it does not matter how current they are. I come across model ports where the manipulations are so extreme I can't tell if it's the same person from pic to pic. I have to make sure I'm not looking at a photographers port with different people in the shots. Sometimes I think how can I consider someone from viewing cartoon images?

I think it's more important that photos show what the person looks like; no manipulation, a pic facing straight at the camera, a profile shot and a full length shot. When you have this along with the list of what genres of photos they do, what else do you need?

Feb 09 15 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

JadeDRed wrote:

You aren't looking for fairness are you?? I was just going to joke about this, but,,,, my guess is that the number of model's profiles being reviewed by someone who is interested in shooting, far outnumbers the the reviews of photographers ports.  For the same pictures on a photographer's port versus the model's, the model may easily have 10 x as many views.  More people are looking at model's ports, perfectly understandable that there is more feedback about outdated pics.
     But you have a valid point that fair is fair.  Please voice your opinion. No sarcasm.  It would be great if more models took an active role, made more request, comments, complaints, compliments.  If model's were more vocal, maybe photographers would accommodate them. Your observation is perfectly valid, but this is the first time I have seen it in black and white.  I could jump to the conclusion that you are the 1% who care about photographers profiles being updated. Congratulations. It's wonderful to see someone who isn't apathetic, and is paying attention.

Feb 09 15 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Its often more important for models to update more frequently.   Photos from several months or years ago may not represent a models current look.   Going for example to a agency with old images wouldn't work.   Unless your look has stayed the same then update your profile.   A photographers style and imagery may improve but his/her work is largely well represented by their profile even if years old.   If a model is  seeking paid work or high level tests or even gallery work they should in my view have imagery that shows them within the last few months.    While current selfies or even a Skype web cam or in person interview could show your current look.   Recent photos are just best in my opinion.

Feb 10 15 03:47 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

Pictures of Life wrote:

You aren't looking for fairness are you??

It's nothing to do with fairness, more if you can grasp that a photographer can be a human being looking to use a site to have fun and fuck about for no one's benefit but their own, and that is perfectly fine, why is it such a difficult concept to grasp that the same applies to models? Are people retarded in some way?

Feb 10 15 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Maybe they're one of those MM models who are demanding $100+/hr and keep checking their page waiting for some sucker to bite.

Feb 10 15 05:05 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
Maybe they're one of those MM models who are demanding $100+/hr and keep checking their page waiting for some sucker to bite.

That's a pretty dim view of your fellow photographers you have.

Feb 11 15 06:43 am Link

Photographer

crx studios

JadeDRed wrote:
It's nothing to do with fairness, more if you can grasp that a photographer can be a human being looking to use a site to have fun and fuck about for no one's benefit but their own, and that is perfectly fine, why is it such a difficult concept to grasp that the same applies to models? Are people retarded in some way?

I think you are confusing two different issues: You are right - there are lookie-loo photographers and lookie-loo models who have no serious intention of shooting, and both are equally whatever you want to call it.

But there are models who seem to be serious about getting work but who don’t show current images. That is very different than a photographer who does’t show current images. Models need to show what they currently look like for the rather obvious reason that they are ones in front of the camera. And when models intentionally hide relevant changes in their appearance, it can lead to some pretty awkward situations.

Feb 11 15 09:49 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Pictures of Life wrote:

You aren't looking for fairness are you?? I was just going to joke about this, but,,,, my guess is that the number of model's profiles being reviewed by someone who is interested in shooting, far outnumbers the the reviews of photographers ports.  For the same pictures on a photographer's port versus the model's, the model may easily have 10 x as many views.  More people are looking at model's ports, perfectly understandable that there is more feedback about outdated pics.
     But you have a valid point that fair is fair.  Please voice your opinion. No sarcasm.  It would be great if more models took an active role, made more request, comments, complaints, compliments.  If model's were more vocal, maybe photographers would accommodate them. Your observation is perfectly valid, but this is the first time I have seen it in black and white.  I could jump to the conclusion that you are the 1% who care about photographers profiles being updated. Congratulations. It's wonderful to see someone who isn't apathetic, and is paying attention.

I care about photographers updating their ports as well. I think most models in fact do. I know a photographer who has changed his style so drastically his works looks like 2 different people shot it. It took him years to show the new work. I don't think most photographers listen to models. And as you can see, when we do bring things up we get shot down and put down.

Feb 11 15 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

WIP wrote:

Your post is point on and why MM and sites like it will never be a place to book models for serious tests or paid work.    My work as a photographer current or not isn't important as I am NOT in front of the camera.   Models looking for paid shoots should have current photos for review on their profile.   Images from years ago aren't helpful.   Several months ago a model hit me up for a paid shoot.   She admitted her hair had changed and she had put on weight but offered to send a few selfies.   I declined.   A models portfolio is like a resume.   Keep it up to date and filled with images that sell your look, especially if you are seeking paid work.   

The key here is serious models looking for paid assignments.   Most are hobbyists.   If you are focused on making money then update your profile every few months.   If you are a newer member with only 15 photo slots then mention if you are on Facebook with more current photos or use a free website like WIX to host up to date photos.   Paid work as a freelance model means having a contact number clients can reach you as well.   Free numbers offered via MagicJack or Googlevoice are smart choices.   What isn't is debating if photographers should have current images when our current look isn't important.

Feb 12 15 02:36 pm Link