Forums > Model Colloquy > Model didn't show to shoot, wants pay..need advice

Photographer

AdrienneEichner

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Model didn't show Thursday! She texted she was going to be 4 hours late. I said that's okay if you get here with just enough daylight left. She said it would be dark before she would arrive.  Model tried to reschedule for today (Saturday) but the location wasn't available. Wants to shoot in a hotel minutes ago (texting) but I said no, location was key to this photoshoot with her. Now, she wants full pay and is threatening to turn me in to mm! I don't deserve this. Thursday's photoshoot: start at 130pm, 2 videographers, 2 photographers, 3 workers were hired to help with the horses, horses were groomed, horse carriage was arranged, 1 assistant was hired, etc. All ruined because I had high expectations from this model. I didn't schedule another model.  Now...no pictures for me and the others, no videos for my ads and the others, the others were pitching in on costs (of course), etc. If she 'turns me into mm', what does that mean?! How do I fight?

I appreciate all advice!

Apr 11 15 10:22 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

It means your model isn't very bright. Sucks that all your effort was wasted. You should encourage her to "turn you in". That should be amusing for everyone. She has nothing to complain about... and if you pay her, I'm sending you my bill for services I didn't provide too.

Ridiculous.

Oh ya, and you should learn from this experience too smile

Apr 11 15 10:24 am Link

Photographer

LeonardG Photography

San Francisco, California, US

AdrienneEichner wrote:
If she 'turns me into mm', what does that mean?! How do I fight?

The same results as turning you in to the US Attorney General's office. If you are worried, have the other members of the team turn in sworn depositions or affidavits.

Never setup a complex and large team shoot with an untested, unknown, new model.

AdrienneEichner wrote:
Now, she wants full pay and is threatening to turn me in to mm! I don't deserve this.

That maybe, technically, defined as extortion. You could probably report the model to MM - especially if the threats were on MM messages.

Apr 11 15 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Cap Hayes

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

What could she possibly "turn you in" for?  Just write her off.  And, maybe put a note in your profile that you do not recommend working with her MM#.

Apr 11 15 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

No show, no pay. It's that simple

Apr 11 15 10:45 am Link

Photographer

First Light Photo

Carson City, Nevada, US

Be afraid, be very afraid! smile

Apr 11 15 10:47 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Cap Hayes wrote:
... And, maybe put a note in your profile that you do not recommend working with her MM#.

+1, yes, it's a public service announcement to help others avoid flakes in the future.

Apr 11 15 10:48 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Send her the bill for your hired help and site rental since she no-showed.

Apr 11 15 10:50 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

payment is generally for services rendered. in this case not only did she not render a service but she completely screwed up a complex shoot.

for that kind of shoot maybe you should be using an agency? supposedly they'll send out a replacement if necessary. or book multiple models.

i did a workshop one time and booked a popular traveling model and fortunately she showed. but i was paying her rack rate. the good thing about traveling models is they need the money to fund their trip.

we haven't heard the models side of this but if anything you should be the one complaining to MM about her behavior.

Apr 11 15 10:52 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

AdrienneEichner wrote:
If she 'turns me into mm', what does that mean?! How do I fight?

Since Model Mayhem doesn't get involved in this type of situation, there is nothing to worry about there.

If she's going to 'turn you in' for being unprofessional, you could always counter it with turning her in for being an idiot.

Just a thought tongue

Apr 11 15 11:06 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Anyone sign anything?
Did you sign something to the avail of paying the model regardless?

If not, tell her to get bent.

And: check references next time.
If you groom horses and stuff for me, I'll be out there a day early!!!

Apr 11 15 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Deep Visions wrote:
No show, no pay. It's that simple

+1

Apr 11 15 11:13 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Oh Shit!

She is going to "Turn You In".. Better call Saul.

Boring.

Snoring.

Apr 11 15 11:16 am Link

Photographer

East West

No need to lose any sleep over this.

Apr 11 15 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

AdrienneEichner wrote:
Model didn't show Thursday! ............. Now, she wants full pay and is threatening to turn me in to mm! I don't deserve this. ............If she 'turns me into mm', what does that mean?! How do I fight?

I appreciate all advice!

Well, pretty obvious that you are dealing with an immature, irresponsible, self-centered, juvenile that doesn't have any grasp on reality.   The lesson here is that when you set up a future elaborate shoot such as described in your post, you be sure that you schedule it with a model who has rock solid credentials and references and that preferably you've worked with previously.

Her demand for pay for a shoot at which she was a no-show is, of course, outrageous.  Sadly, it's not even shocking to hear stuff like this.  However, there are lots of beautiful, responsible, energetic, and hard working models, on MM and elsewhere.  You just got lined up with a rotten apple in the barrel.

The work in your port is outstanding.  Hope you don't have to go through this again.  Believe me, it has happened to most of us who shoot with MM models.  It is what it is.  Learn and move on.  Keep up the good work.

Apr 11 15 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

While it is tempting to get snarky and give her a non-constructive, confrontational, and "clever" response, I'd simply block her & ignore her.  If she "turns you in", one would hope that MM would ask you for your side of the story, and apparently, you have a whole crew who can verify your story.

In short -- it's not worth the drama; go do something more productive to do with your time.

I do feel that I should point out a couple of things:
...  We are only hearing your side of the story -- our judgment should wait until we hear her side.
...  It is never a good idea to invest a huge amount of time, effort, and expense on a project that depends
     on the reliability of a model who hasn't earned a reputation of reliability.

Apr 11 15 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Give her a ham sandwich and a road map.

Apr 11 15 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

The Grey Forest

Igoumenítsa, Kentriki Ellada, Greece

Amadea T wrote:
... tell her to get bent.

GRMACK wrote:

You and the other 7 team members have my sympathy, but you don't need to get yourself worried as MM is quite fair in such situations by not siding or getting involved under these circumstances.  True : we are only hearing your 'one side' of the story, but its not slanted towards slander but of your own reputation and concern over a false report.

For going so far out of your way to assemble such a shoot makes you one of the rare and valuable breed here.

...sigh*  I used to go all out like this too, but so many flakey models later can crush your soul ~ and I realized using a digital set is much cheaper and to keep a 'Plan B' so as not to entirely waste my time.

"Integrity" is becoming a rare commodity these days...

Apr 11 15 12:02 pm Link

Model

Julia A Campbell

DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, Florida, US

Sounds like she needs to reexamine her priorities. If I was scheduled for a paying shoot with multiple professions involved I would assume that not showing would mean completely blowing the gig and gracefully apologize and drop the matter.
I wouldn't be concerned, she didn't show and proved herself to be flaky.

Apr 11 15 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

There is something missing. What is she expecting to be paid for, and what are you worried that she will tell MM?

Apr 11 15 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

Man! This model has some set of balls! Waaaaay bigger than mine!! big_smile

But seriously, I wouldn't lose sleep over this. If she did report this to anyone, then she'd just be outing herself.

Apr 11 15 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

You did nothing wrong, MM will do nothing
I would keep records of you communications with her
That Blackmail threat from her is a little worrisome
Where did you find this wacko
You need to really improve your screening process esp on shots where you have so much dedicated to the effort.

Apr 11 15 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Commercial Works Photo

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, US

Pay her with monopoly money.  If she demands money for a shoot she didn't show up for, you should be able to pay with money she can't spend.

Apr 11 15 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

E H

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

AdrienneEichner wrote:
Model didn't show Thursday! She texted she was going to be 4 hours late. I said that's okay if you get here with just enough daylight left. She said it would be dark before she would arrive.  Model tried to reschedule for today (Saturday) but the location wasn't available. Wants to shoot in a hotel minutes ago (texting) but I said no, location was key to this photoshoot with her. Now, she wants full pay and is threatening to turn me in to mm! I don't deserve this. Thursday's photoshoot: start at 130pm, 2 videographers, 2 photographers, 3 workers were hired to help with the horses, horses were groomed, horse carriage was arranged, 1 assistant was hired, etc. All ruined because I had high expectations from this model. I didn't schedule another model.  Now...no pictures for me and the others, no videos for my ads and the others, the others were pitching in on costs (of course), etc. If she 'turns me into mm', what does that mean?! How do I fight?

I appreciate all advice!

Send her a bill for all service she was booked for and that she will be paid when her service bill is paid in full... If she doesn't pay with 30 days you will be reporting to MM and start collections paperwork for small claims court. It's business everyones TIME/MONEY AND EFFORT is not worthless. You show up for work, when booked, and paid after you do your job...

Apr 11 15 02:37 pm Link

Model

MikkiMarvel

I'd suggest just ignoring any further correspondence from her.

Apr 11 15 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

Put a half dozen corn flakes in a bubble pack envelope, write her a note saying she must provide her own milk .... :-)

Apr 11 15 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Francisco Castro wrote:
There is something missing. What is she expecting to be paid for, and what are you worried that she will tell MM?

I knew that it would come to this one day

Wanna be model signs up with Model Mayhem. Puts up a profile with cell phone pics.

Forget flaking.

Forget non shows.

Forget corresponding with the photographer.

That is such a waste of time.

Why no eliminate all that silly stuff

Now all a model needs to do is respond to a casting call, get a pay pal account and get paid big money while she is out doing her thing with her friends bragging about how she is making it as a model now.

Model:  I made $3000 today.

Friend: Wow. How did you do that?

Model: I do modeling now.

Friend: So, what kind of modeling did you do?

Model:  I didn't do anything. The shoot is today. It is right now.

Friend: But, how did they do a shoot without you.

Model smiles: They have stand in's. You know, doubles.

smile

Apr 11 15 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

GRMACK wrote:

Breach of contract. Small claims court. OR BETTER YET hope she files and file a counter claim. Judge Judy would tear her a new one.

Studio36

Apr 11 15 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

salvatori. wrote:
you could always counter it with turning her in for being an idiot.

You can't fix dumb!

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Apr 11 15 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

Fotographic Aspirations wrote:
Put a half dozen corn flakes in a bubble pack envelope, write her a note saying she must provide her own milk .... :-)

+1000

Apr 11 15 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

https://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/cirtapfotos/tn55.jpg

Apr 11 15 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
https://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/cirtapfotos/tn55.jpg

Ya gotta love this.

Would this work?
Enter the above artwork (after getting permission from it's creator, of course) in the model of the day contest with a credit to her MM #

Would that be considered outing? 

Or,  just photograph a few cornflakes on a white card and enter it in a bunch of the contests with her MM # as the credit.

Come to think of it, why isn't there a "Flake of the Day" contest, or a "Flake of the Week".  Seems like an OK idea to me.

Apr 11 15 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

AdrienneEichner wrote:

I appreciate all advice!

Don't sweat it, MM's stance in circumstances like this, is that it's a private dispute between two members and we generally don't get involved. If there was a string of such reports, they might take a closer look, but not over a single complaint, particularly given the circumstances described.

Apr 11 15 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

AdrienneEichner wrote:

I appreciate all advice!

From this side of the story, not only do you have nothing to worry about if she "turns you in to MM", it sounds like she's the one doing things that other members should be wary of/protected from.

Should be nothing to fight, and if she thinks you owe her for a shoot she did not show up for, that's insane.

She could even have a "VIP" account on the site, makes no difference.  You did nothing wrong, and have not mentioned anything that would obligate you to any amount of payment.

Don't sweat it... if anyone owes anyone money, sounds like she owes you folks.

Apr 11 15 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Send her some of the "samples" that the horses produced while needlessly waiting for her.
Tell her that the shoot was changed to TFP. (Time For horse Poop)

Apr 11 15 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

If this happened to me I would be like "go ahead you wack job".  I wouldn't even try to be professional lol.  I mean if you don't show up to a shoot time and time again, how the hell do you figure that you should be getting paid?  For what exactly?  And then she has the balls to threaten you?  I would tell her to go ahead and do whatever she wants to do and that I go ahead and compile all of our communications and forward them to the right people so that they know not to work with her.  I can't believe how annoyed this story got me and it didn't even happen to me!

Apr 11 15 05:16 pm Link

Model

CaraH

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

AdrienneEichner wrote:
Thursday's photoshoot: start at 130pm, 2 videographers, 2 photographers, 3 workers were hired to help with the horses, horses were groomed, horse carriage was arranged, 1 assistant was hired, etc.

First highly unprofessional of her to not show. Second, this sounds like an AMAZING shoot- who wouldn't make all efforts possible to show up!

Apr 11 15 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Cap Hayes

Re-reading the post, I do have one question - did the model continue to drive out and stick around Friday night because she was told that you would be able to shoot on Saturday, but then you were unable to rebook the venue?

Apr 11 15 05:43 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

MikkiMarvel wrote:
I'd suggest just ignoring any further correspondence from her.

+1

Apr 11 15 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

If it were me, I'd tell her not so politely to go to hell and not to contact me again. Then I'd put her on my not recommend list in my port. In fact I have one from awhile back that I have to look up and add to the list.

Apr 11 15 06:59 pm Link