Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Are you stupid?

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Just wondering how many of you consider yourself perpetually stupid.

Apr 15 15 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'd actually like to see someone admit to having an IQ that tested less than 100.  About half the population fall into this category, but I don't think I've ever heard someone say something like "I have an IQ of 92.  That's tested!".  If someone's IQ was tested at over 120, for example, they can't tell you about it fast enough.

Apr 15 15 01:22 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

MN Photography wrote:
I'd actually like to see someone admit to having an IQ that tested less than 100.  About half the population fall into this category, but I don't think I've ever heard someone say something like "I have an IQ of 92.  That's tested!".  If someone's IQ was tested at over 120, for example, they can't tell you about it fast enough.

I imagine people with an IQ of 92 are not the kind of people to take IQ tests. I would guess that a disproportionate amount of people who take IQ tests are either intelligent or have difficulties.

I've taken an IQ test, I'll let you decide which category I fall into wink

Apr 15 15 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Maybe it's different in the UK, but I think most people take IQ tests in school.  Both my sons did.  I did and so did my siblings.

I'm not sure how the distribution of the range of IQ would be accurate if the population were all self-selected.

Apr 15 15 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

John Jebbia wrote:

To myself, I consider myself not smart enough.  To others, no.  smile

Apr 15 15 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Gregory Thelen

Concord, California, US

I'm With Stupid -------> "ME"

I am stupid on the subject of IQs. From life experience, I know of very intelligent people that can't find their way out of a room.
On the other hand, I also know people that function very well in everyday life from life experiences, trial and error or just plain street smarts. On that note these same people have trouble with reading and even 8th grade math.

I always wondered what they are testing against for an IQ test.

Apr 15 15 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I know that I'm not stupid, but I'm often surprised by how regularly I can, for example, get up, walk to the kitchen, and completely forget what I had planned on doing there.

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Stupid is as Stupid does...

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

For the record, I have a measured IQ of the "can't tell you fast enough" category.

But I started considering that I was "mature" when I figured out how to have relationships with & enjoy people of all sorts of intelligence.

Apr 15 15 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I know that I'm not stupid, but I'm often surprised by how regularly I can, for example, get up, walk to the kitchen, and completely forget what I had planned on doing there.

Brian...Maybe if you clear your cache of memory you would know! lol

Apr 15 15 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

Stupid is such a suggestive sort of expression. I am a rather bright person as it goes, yet I can be pledged by stupid notions both of the intellect and the social norm. If it were not for spell check I could not write this, and yet I do know that it is not related to my intelligence; it is both a social issue and is related to my dyslexia and how I see and shape the world in my mind.

But, yes, I often say, "Timmy, how dumb can you be!" and I do mean it! LOL!!!

Apr 15 15 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Gregory Thelen wrote:

I am stupid on the subject of IQs. From life experience, I know of very intelligent people that can't find their way out of a room.
On the other hand, I also know people that function very well in everyday life from life experiences, trial and error or just plain street smarts. On that note these same people have trouble with reading and even 8th grade math.

That's been controversial.  In my own family, IQ results are all over the board.  My older brother is something like 140-50.  He is a chemical engineer with multiple advanced degrees.  Other than his career, which is spotty because of frequent job changes, his life is a disaster.  My youngest brother on the other hand, he had the lowest IQ of anyone in our family.   He didn't attend college and started at a low level factory job right out of high school.  After 30 years, he is head of purchasing at the same company.  My sons were tested at 105 and 125.  The son with an IQ of 105 did much better in school and has a better career than my other son.  He was always more focused. 

I think IQ might mainly measure your propensity for distraction.

Apr 15 15 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

Brian...Maybe if you clear your cache of memory you would know! lol

Ah, that's the problem. 

It seem that every time I end up in the kitchen, I always clear my cookies instead.  At least, I clear the plate that they're on.

Apr 15 15 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

That happens to me all the time, especially when I'm working on the computer.. I'll think about doing something, then decide to check my email first, then come back to do what I thought of only to forget what the hell it was.

Leo Howard swears I have early stages of Alzheimer...

Apr 15 15 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

TRABUCO CANYON, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Psycho-stimulants helped me with that.

I think.

Apr 15 15 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

When I was a kid I once bought a bicycle inner tube that was almost the right size.. So I might be..

Apr 15 15 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

R Bruce Duncan

Santa Barbara, California, US

Hello?

I'm here?

Apr 15 15 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I have zero short term memory, dont know if that counts.
like if someone tells me their phone number verbally, the numbers some how scramble themselves right after the conversation.

Apr 15 15 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Dunning-Kruger effect, anyone?

Apr 15 15 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Yeah, but a money loaded stupid person.

Apr 15 15 03:02 pm Link

Model

JadeDRed

London, England, United Kingdom

MN Photography wrote:
Maybe it's different in the UK, but I think most people take IQ tests in school.  Both my sons did.  I did and so did my siblings.

I'm not sure how the distribution of the range of IQ would be accurate if the population were all self-selected.

Yes it would be as I said in the UK as far as I know. I imagine they take samples to get an idea of the general population, as far as I know there is no regular testing. I don't think we'd see much reason for it.

Apr 15 15 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

Yes I am. But compared to most of the drivers I encounter on the road, I feel like a genius.

Apr 15 15 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

John Jebbia wrote:

And fat too.  Stupid and fat.

Apr 15 15 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

yes

Apr 15 15 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Like all human beings I'm stupid about more things than I'm smart about, especially all those things I don't know I don't know.

Apr 15 15 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

I don't know!!!! Because I'm too stupid to know!!! But that's just a guess!!! Because I'm too stupid to know!!! sad

Apr 15 15 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Sax

TRABUCO CANYON, California, US

I've been reflecting on my reply to this post and thinking "Damn, that was a stupid thing to say."

Apr 15 15 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Gryph

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Yes. I'm so smart, I stupid.

Miso soupid please.

Apr 15 15 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

I used to be as smart as a monkey.   Now I'm as dumb as a chimp.

Apr 15 15 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

I think there is a great difference between sheer intelligence, education and memory, especially short term memory. Just because you can't remember doesn't mean you haven't been educated or have no smarts.

For instance, I know some really intelligent people who get absolutely crushed by much less intelligent people when playing chess. It's not because they aren't intelligent enough. It's because they lack experience (education) so they have no strategy.  Give them a little time and some desire and it's lights out for the less intelligent person.  On the other hand, if the less intelligent person is flexible, adaptable and/or shrewd, it might not be lights out for them.

Apr 15 15 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have to laugh at how much of a idiot I can be.   Frequent readers can attest to that fact.   Two years ago I had a devil of a time trying to get a custom Android rom to load.   I kept getting the same error.   I used Google and after re-reading the directions for the tenth time figured it out.   I recently tried to use a new Linux distro.   Unnetbootin is a well known program which allows users to convert a ISO into a bootable USB flash drive.   Wouldn't work but instead of being frustrated I looked at the distro release notes and found out what was up.   

I'm not alone in my struggle with Arch Linux and developers have come up with auto scripts to make it easier to use.   Sadly I'm a victim of the public school system.   Lots of really bright people don't do well on tests.   I am often surprised at how intelligent so many of our members are.  A long time ago in a martial art class we had a guy who was awful.   Clumsy and awkward.   He couldn't fight and was slow.   Techniques that came easy for others he struggled with.   He never quit though and received a black sash.   (this school used a colored sash for rank)  Some people are gifted and others have to work really hard.   Some people may score better on IQ tests and others may not but with hard work and study can often be very successful and bright.

Apr 15 15 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

John Jebbia wrote:
That happens to me all the time, especially when I'm working on the computer.. I'll think about doing something, then decide to check my email first, then come back to do what I thought of only to forget what the hell it was.

Leo Howard swears I have early stages of Alzheimer...

Yes, but its because you have other symptoms other than just forgetfulness, but thats another topic...

Some of the smartest people in the world have turned out to also be very stupid . . . . I give you the Atomic Bomb.

Apr 15 15 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Maxximages

Can you repete the question?

Apr 16 15 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

The older I get, the more I realize just how much I don't really know at all. So, yeah, I guess I'm dumber than two bricks.

Apr 17 15 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

This happens to a lot of us.

Apr 17 15 09:21 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Ummmm its all relative to who you're standing next to.

Apr 17 15 10:46 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Gregory Thelen wrote:

Funniest T shirt on the subject that I have seen:

"I'm With Stupid"
              |
              |
              |
              V

You should get to know him

Apr 17 15 11:17 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Purely a function of how much time I spend in the forums.

Apr 17 15 11:18 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

MN Photography wrote:

I took IQ tests again in high school, all of which placed me in the high 90s. Nothing special. I haven't taken any since that time, because I've had no reason to do so. I figure it hasn't changed much since that time.

My abilities with maths and practical science have always been very poor, despite showing high verbal aptitude. It brings down my general intelligence level significantly, overall. I currently work as a ghostwriter for business management theory books and entrepreneur profiles. So, ultimately, it doesn't matter that I suck at a lot of the more highly valued "smarts" in our society. I have found a way to use the skills I do have (namely, language) to start building a longer-term career for myself. Not having much in the way of math, science or technical abilities held me back for years, and I think made me appear "dumber" than I actually was.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm not particularly smart - but as long as I have something I can do well, that's just fine with me.

The great irony is, two weeks ago I had an assignment at work that required me to - literally - write a book on Search Engine Optimization. Did all the research and everything, despite having no background whatsoever in technology. I completed the project and wrote a book on SEO, butI still couldn't actually tell you the practical details of how to use it. If I sat down right now and tried to optimize a site, my head would explode.

Apr 17 15 11:58 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Today?  YES!!  IQ=10 at best.

Just finished screwing up some "Tall" women's thigh-high sheer stocking alteration "twice" with the serger seam showing on the outside.  Damn it!  Even though it was temporarily basting glued on to prevent puckering in the serger later (Thinking I was smart in doing that gluing step prior!), the finished seam ended up on the outside - twice!  Thought, "Well, I won't do that again!" after the first one, and damn if I I didn't do it again on the second pair.  No matter as they both are trash and now I need to replace it all and start over.

Meanwhile, I ended up emailing "Hane's Hosiery" saying "You guy's need to make a TALL women's thigh-high and not this knee-high stuff pawned off as thigh-high for  taller people over 5' 7".   (Their size Small stuff is listed as 5' 7" and is really more like 5' 4" at best.).  They responded with "Thanks.  We'll look into it and forward it to the proper department."

Cripes.

Apr 17 15 02:10 pm Link