Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Mercedez or Bimmer

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

I have driven the newer model BMWs (2013 onwards). They drive very smooth. I read on a car review that Mercedez, although seems more luxurious ( interiors etc), don't drive as smooth as BMWs.
Your experiences, thoughts ....

( I know that this post is going to get it's share of replies from wiseasses how their clunkers, lemons etc drive the best. It's all good.😜)

Jun 12 15 07:08 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I hear these stink on gas mileage, but they're a blast ta drive  .  .  .

https://360sportsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/mercedes.jpg

.  .  .  oh, and they only come in silver, don't have AC, and insurance is a bit expensive  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Jun 12 15 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I think both of these brands traditionally drive just fine. If one is looking for the ride quality of a Cadillac, it's not there.  If one wants the long term reliability of a Lexus, that's not there, either. After the warranty period is over, the value of these cars fall faster than a boulder in a pond. The parts are expensive, they are usually hard to install, a lot of people don't want to work on them and things break for no rhyme or reason. If one lets too many things go for too long, it won't be all that long before the car needs more money to fix than it's worth because the resale value is so low.

I personally find the driver's seat to be okay. Most of the time, the passenger's seat in the front is fine, too. Every other seat is really uncomfortable (not like a Ford Taurus where the back seat is more comfortable than the front for me ... at least in the ones I've experienced).

The bottom line for me is just say no to all European cars. If one must have a European car, I say Volvo and make it a convertible.

Jun 12 15 07:35 am Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

I know it is not rational, but I love my bmw.  I have driven it over 102,000 miles and it still makes me smile when I see it waiting for me in a parking lot.  The bmw I traded in for my current model was 14 years old and had over 190,000 miles on it, 120,000 of them were mine.  I think certain bmw models are ugly.  Mine is not.  It is a twin turbo driving machine.

I have been told that if I were ever to drive a mercedes, I would never go back to driving bmws.  As a result I have avoided the temptation and have only set foot in a mercedes for the briefest of times, and only as a passenger.

18+   ?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/38726620

18+

Jun 12 15 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

One way to find out... test drive.

Jun 12 15 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Bobby C wrote:
I have driven the newer model BMWs (2013 onwards). They drive very smooth. I read on a car review that Mercedez, although seems more luxurious ( interiors etc), don't drive as smooth as BMWs.
Your experiences, thoughts ....

Before there was car leasing, most of us consider BMW is driver's car, and Mercede is for those who o not care much of driving.  I bought my first new BMW in 1986, I have been driving BMW brand since then.  I love how it handles and predictable.  The driving dynamic is just awesome.  It also easy to maintain compared to US or Japaneses cars. 

smile

Jun 12 15 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

HHPhoto wrote:
I think certain bmw models are ugly.  Mine is not.

This reminds me that I often told my my wife that most people's kid are ugly, but our is not.  big_smile big_smile big_smile

Jun 12 15 08:52 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Do yourself a favor and look at the Lexus lineup.

Less repairs, voted the most reliable year after year.

Much higher resale value.

Jun 12 15 11:14 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm on my 2nd Jaguar (first was 1987) and like it a lot.
I drove a Mercedes C class as the Enterprise rental within the Jaguar dealership gave it to me to drive during maintenance for my Jaguar. The experience reminded me of an American or Japanese little car - nothing special.

Jun 12 15 11:22 am Link

Photographer

r T p

Connor Photography wrote:
This reminds me that I often told my my wife that most people's kid are ugly, but our is not.  big_smile big_smile big_smile

a cornerstone of any good marriage is ...

knowing when & how to lie to your spouse

Jun 12 15 11:33 am Link

Photographer

r T p

What Fun Productions wrote:

that's
  NOT  American

Jun 12 15 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Images by SeanK Photo

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Bimmer.....ALWAYS!!!

The Ultimate Driving Machine

Jun 12 15 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BMW I8 big_smile

Jun 12 15 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

I have a 1994 BMW 325i - still fun to drive.
The cost of keeping it running? - well, that's no so much fun. haha

Jun 12 15 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

-fpc-

Boca Raton, Florida, US

Audi

Jun 12 15 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

normad

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

you sound like a mercedes kind of guy smile

Jun 12 15 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

-fpc- wrote:
Audi

There's the R8 around the corner from me at home. A friend of mine's bf drives one.. bloody dream to ride in, i hear, but always wonder what it drives like. Smooth?

Jun 12 15 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

-fpc-

Boca Raton, Florida, US

don't know if Id call it smooth
but it can go from the street to the track with nary a care

still nothing can compete with the Quattro system

more base models are pretty similar to all 3 mentioned here

the Rs5,Rs7 and R8 are the top of the class. if you like cars that are meant to be driven hard
of course, the price of admission is steep

Jun 13 15 03:07 am Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

Audi and BMW drivers just need to learn...those are not built for dragging.  Especially the quattro guys on rainy days.
Granted it's only the A4/A6   3 series guys that tend to embarrass themselves.

HP sells cars... torque wins [drag] races

Jun 14 15 12:25 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

much depends on the model you choose and how you like to drive. I have a C250 and drove the CLA...for entry level cars, they are far superior to the American competitors...the same goes for the entry level BMW. Both vehicles are geared towards a 300-600k mileage rating as compared to most American vehicles which are built for 100k miles.
Maintenance is higher on both...but you shouldn't buy a European vehicle if you don't have money for tires, brakes etc.
My buddy has a 5 series BMW that's 2 years old...it rides like a dream and has more features than the space shuttle.

Jun 15 15 06:26 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I own a BMW.
I never owned a Mercedes.

I will say that German engineering is amazing.

The only car I enjoyed as much or better?
Was an Rx7.
The turning capacity, the way it gripped the road, quickness, ahhh.

What I like about BMWs (and this is my second) is how smooth the ride is.
Looks cool too (and it's not new) - sport package, black on black (leather interior).

Makes me want to turn my baseball cap backwards.

ha ha

Jun 15 15 06:31 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

BMW= Bavarian Manure Wagon. Or Bayrischer Mistwagen.

Mercedes= almost every last taxi in the western (Deutsch speaking) countries...tells me something about it's reliability.

Jun 15 15 07:22 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:
BMW= Bavarian Manure Wagon. Or Bayrischer Mistwagen.

Mercedes= almost every last taxi in the western (Deutsch speaking) countries...tells me something about it's reliability.

Do you drive either?

Jun 15 15 07:33 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Jules NYC wrote:
Do you drive either?

I have.

Merc. Every time. Purrs like a kitty.

I just hate the stigma that comes with a beamer. lol ( prolly mostly to do with bmw driver's attitudes outside the Autobahn)
That and the short translation ( from steering wheel to wheels...not sure what correct word in English. ..like a sports car with race wheel)

Jun 15 15 07:48 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:
I have.

Merc. Every time.

I just hate the stigma that comes with a beamer. lol ( prolly mostly to do with bmw driver's attitudes outside the Autobahn)
That and the short translation ( from steering wheel to wheels...not sure what correct word in English. ..like a sports car with race wheel)

Well you just insulted anyone who drives a BMW.
Who has the attitude?

Not everyone that owns a BMW is a white-collared, pretentious prick driving a douche-canoe.

Jun 15 15 07:50 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Jules NYC wrote:
Well you just insulted anyone who drives a BMW.
Who has the attitude?

Not everyone that owns a BMW is a white-collared, pretentious prick driving a douche-canoe.

Sheesh. My bad. Only in Ohio then.

Jun 15 15 08:05 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:

Sheesh. My bad. Only in Ohio then.

Believe me, I know the type... and no, not just in Ohio.

wink

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f5/d5/b1/f5d5b13574c91e3b174995f4f6211a95.jpg

Jun 15 15 08:32 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

One of my favorite jokes. wink

Jun 15 15 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

I fell in love of  the 2002 BMW long before it was cool and popular in the late 60's when I was a teenage before I knew how to drive.
https://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/BMW-2002-tii-42.jpg

I took my a long time before i could afford a new BMW; I bought my first new 325E (E30) BMW in 1986 after I finished my doctorate degree.   I still have that car and It was totally rebuilt.  I love the look of the E30, subtle, understated and never flashy.  I don't really like the current BMW look, but I still love the way it drives.  Regardless what others say about BMW drivers, it is the love affair of me and my BMW.  I love to drive, I love fixing cars. I enjoy working my German cars, They are well engineered, easy to fix, and need only few size of wrenches to fix the whole car.    Although Japanese cars are very reliable, but their parts and components are sub-sized compared to German or American cars.  I don't like to fix American cars, they used whatever fasteners they have on the shelves.  As a result, they use SAE, metric or any odd fasteners, it makes fixing your own car a nightmare. 

We took our European delivery in Munich for our 335ix and the money we saves gave us a free trip in Europe.   
https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/11158160_10205204053933657_1275392750_n.jpg?oh=4473f4aeba9357302cfb4b9d479abce8&oe=5580C045

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp … e=5580C045

I enjoy driving, more than just taking me from point A to point B.  When I was a teenage I drove truck in Hong Kong Island (narrow and steep inclined), in NYC I drove Taxicab in the Summer while I was in Undergrad.  Living in Buffalo for more than 12 years, I was an avid skier, I love driving in the snow storm.  I am not much a straight open highway driver, but I love twisty roads, rainy day, heavy traffic where the drier skills is the key.  I used to practice driving high speed in Sawmill River Parkway, Westchester, NY and Ortega Hwy, CA for hours in the middle of the night .  I learned how to take every curve with confidence.

Just like everything else, when the brand becomes successfully, there may have some undesirables into the group.  There will be negativity, but it does not take away how much I love driving my BMWs.  Oh yeah, I have many other cars too, Jeep Wrangler (8 inch life, 37" tires), Jeep Cherokee, F150 truck, Pacifica, Mini Copper S.  Besides sailboat, I love cars.  I am a big kid, and need lots of toys.  hahaaa

Jun 15 15 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

What Fun Productions wrote:

Exactly what I' doing,easily the best bang for the buck for these kind of cars

Jun 15 15 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

I've owned 4 BMWs including a '74 2002 with a swapped engine from a 90's 3 Series.  I also have an 80's 3 series race car.  BMW makes the sharpest handling sedan in any generation from the 60's to the present day.  Merc may occasionally slip in an AMG model with more horsepower than a competing BMW model, but they'll never handle as well. 

So it really comes down to what you're looking for. 
-if you want a rolling sofa, get a Merc.
-if you want a rolling sofa with insane hp, get an AMG Merc.
-if you want a fast car that handles way better than you think is possible, get a BMW.
-if you want a REALLY fast car that handles even better than that, get a BMW M car.

But for the love of God, don't even think about getting an AMG Merc with a turbo engine.  The depreciation because of maintenance costs is absolutely unreal.

Jun 15 15 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

J Andrescavage Photo wrote:
I've owned 4 BMWs including a '74 2002 with a swapped engine from a 90's 3 Series.  I also have an 80's 3 series race car.  BMW makes the sharpest handling sedan in any generation from the 60's to the present day.  Merc may occasionally slip in an AMG model with more horsepower than a competing BMW model, but they'll never handle as well. 

So it really comes down to what you're looking for. 
-if you want a rolling sofa, get a Merc.
-if you want a rolling sofa with insane hp, get an AMG Merc.
-if you want a fast car that handles way better than you think is possible, get a BMW.
-if you want a REALLY fast car that handles even better than that, get a BMW M car.

But for the love of God, don't even think about getting an AMG Merc with a turbo engine.  The depreciation because of maintenance costs is absolutely unreal.

I had to laugh.  The rolling sofa comments are so mean, but the best insults have at least a small basis in truth.

I remember when Top Gear tested an AMG against one of the BMW M cars and they couldn't get the AMG around the track without tearing up the tires.  At one point they put apples on the inside of a tight corner and the Stig smashed them repeatedly with the M, but the AMG kept spinning out on the corner and never got close the the apples.

Jun 15 15 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

Coincidentally, I received a package in the mail today from the BMW Car Club of America.  It was a 15 year membership pin.  (I guess that proves my bias.)  I bought my first BMW 22 years ago.

A Toyota might be more reliable than a BMW, but so long I have a choice, I prefer the "driving machine".

P.S.
I won't have been on MM for 10 years until this November.  (10 years with respect to my first account, not this one.)  I don't expect a membership pin from MM, but maybe someone should design a badge to post on ports active for 5, 10 or....someday....15 years.

Jun 15 15 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

HHPhoto wrote:
I had to laugh.  The rolling sofa comments are so mean, but the best insults have at least a small basis in truth.

I remember when Top Gear tested an AMG against one of the BMW M cars and they couldn't get the AMG around the track without tearing up the tires.  At one point they put apples on the inside of a tight corner and the Stig smashed them repeatedly with the M, but the AMG kept spinning out on the corner and never got close the the apples.

It wasn't really an insult.  A Merc really will give a luxurious ride, usually a smoother one than the competing BMW.  But yeah, the BMW will have better driving dynamics.  It's no accident the AMG in that Top Gear test kept burning its wheels.  It didn't have the suspension to keep all that power in check, because that would compromise the buttery smooth ride.

Jun 15 15 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

chiamac

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Unrelated, but my older/newer Porsche 911 is just amazing. There are A TON of great deals to be had once you get into the 997 or 996 models.

Jun 15 15 07:28 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

chiamac wrote:
Unrelated, but my older/newer Porsche 911 is just amazing. There are A TON of great deals to be had once you get into the 997 or 996 models.

borat

I always wanted a 928 GTS

Jun 15 15 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

chiamac

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Jules NYC wrote:
borat

I always wanted a 928 GTS

Those are nice cars.

smile

Jun 15 15 08:03 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

chiamac wrote:

Those are nice cars.

smile

Oh yes they are:)

Jun 15 15 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Allen Carbon

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

Lots of car noobs in this thread.

Move aside guys,

My Mitsubishi lancer (no frills, basic version) will beat all your cars.

Jun 15 15 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

Allen Carbon wrote:
Lots of car noobs in this thread.

Move aside guys,

My Mitsubishi lancer (no frills, basic version) will beat all your cars.

Haha, good one.

Jun 16 15 12:51 am Link