Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > You Americans!

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sure do know how to make a good burger.

I love me some Five Guys!

Jun 26 15 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Wye wrote:

One just opened a couple of months ago near here in Joplin, Mo.  I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  Maybe this weekend. big_smile

Jun 26 15 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Well, hate to break this to you but,  the US might have lost the burger war.

According to theburgerguide.com the no 1 is:

Patty & Bun
54 James St
London, Greater London
"Description: The BEST BURGER IN THE WORLD is the Ari Gold at Patty & Bun. I've eaten hundreds of burgers in my lifetime and have been in pursuit of the perfect burger for some time. This burger is it. You'll see a long line outside of Patty & Bun and that's an indication that I'm not the only one who's discovered this secret.

The Ari Gold features a perfectly cooked beef patty, gooey melted cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickled onions, ketchup, smokey P&B housemade mayo, and a brioche bun. Don't forget to throw on some tasty bacon to add that last bit of flavor heaven. The Ari is a melt in your mouth juicy, cheesy, salty, and tender masterpiece. The pillowy bun seems to melt with each bite and the ratio of the ingredients creates a perfect texture where none of them overpower the burger, while all of them contribute to the flavor profile. The ingredients are well thought out, portioned appropriately, and are high quality.
..."
https://images.theburgerguide.com/images/burgers/700/patty-and-bun-burger-london-united-kingdom.JPG

Jun 26 15 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jim Ball wrote:

One just opened a couple of months ago near here in Joplin, Mo.  I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  Maybe this weekend. big_smile

I had my first five guys maybe 4 years ago when visiting my now wife in DC. I was immediately hooked.

We have a few locations here in Toronto and we love it!

I also have a serious love for In N Out as well. But five guys definitely has them beat for flavor.

Jun 26 15 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Wye wrote:

I can't disagree with you. Not all locations are equal, either.

I went to the first one where I thought it was awesome. When I got to the 2nd one I thought it was far superior to the first. The staff was nicer, the place was cleaner, the food was better and the peanuts were far fresher. I have unfortunately had to lay off the beef and the bread. I have severely cut back on fries and have all but eliminated soda so there pretty much is no Five Guys for me anymore ... but I'll be back one day when I want to go. I can't go every day or even every month but I don't think once a year will kill me ... and I haven't been in more than 2 years now ...

Jun 26 15 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

yummy.  I think my favorite burger is Father's Office.  It is in Los Angeles.  yummy. I bring my own ketchup.

Can someone open an in-n-out here in Manila please.

Jun 26 15 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

martin b wrote:
yummy.  I think my favorite burger is Father's Office.  It is in Los Angeles.  yummy. I bring my own ketchup.

Can someone open an in-n-out here in Manila please.

Oh! Yes.  Father's Office is fantastic.  You're thinking of the place in Culver City?  If so I used to work near there.  We ate there regularly.

Jun 26 15 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

yea,  I think that's the one.  Duck confit anyone?  yum.  I love living in the Philippines but it isn't the best food.  Even our fast food isn't the best.  If you want to try some go to Jollibee in Los Angeles.

And I love 5 guys

Jun 26 15 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

five guys blows! the best burgers are at mom and pops places. having said that, the best "chain" burgers i've had in the last five years came from the habit.

in-n-out...over them two decades ago
five guys...in-n-out wannabes
white castle--eh, 1978 is on the phone...they want their novel burgers back. tongue
tommy's...meh
fatburger...ugh

i've never had a whataburger. i don't tend to make it to texas all that much. smile

Jun 26 15 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Man, one opened near me a couple years ago and I went on a BINGE !!!  hahahahhaha

Had to curtail it, for sure!

Jun 26 15 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

GK photo wrote:
five guys blows! the best burgers are at mom and pops places. having said that, the best "chain" burgers i've had in the last five years came from the habit.

in-n-out...over them two decades ago
five guys...in-n-out wannabes
white castle--eh, 1978 is on the phone...they want their novel burgers back. tongue
tommy's...meh
fatburger...ugh

i've never had a whataburger. i don't tend to make it to texas all that much. smile

Will agree that the local Mom & Pop joints usually do it better than the chains & franchises.  We used to have one here that ground their own burger meat every day and cut their fries from fresh potatoes.  Closest now is a small, 3 or 4 location, locally owned place called Babe's over in Joplin.

Jun 26 15 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

My current favorite is Smashburger.

Jun 26 15 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Jim Ball wrote:

Will agree that the local Mom & Pop joints usually do it better than the chains & franchises.  We used to have one here that ground their own burger meat every day and cut their fries from fresh potatoes.  Closest now is a small, 3 or 4 location, locally owned place called Babe's over in Joplin.

i'd rather eat at the myriad (yellow paper) numbered greek places, than any of those chains. of course, they tend to kill their fries with too much seasoned salt. smile there's always a trade-off.

Jun 26 15 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

The Habit

Jun 26 15 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

Oh, you guys haven't gone to the Clearman's Galley in San Gabriel, CA, USA. Their double chili burger is the best!

Jun 26 15 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Bare Essential Photos wrote:
Oh, you guys haven't gone to the Clearman's Galley in San Gabriel, CA, USA. Their double chili burger is the best!

probably because no one in their right mind goes to san gabriel, unless forced to. tongue smile

Jun 26 15 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Photos 4 The Memories

Kewaskum, Wisconsin, US

Its not on the menu but the last time I was there I ordered the double grilled cheese burger. It was like $10 for it but worth every penny!
http://hackthemenu.com/five-guys/secret … se-burger/

Jun 26 15 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Five Guys is pretty good. Other than making my own, it's about the only burger we eat.

And the regular order of fries is pretty tasty and come in a volume to feed an Irish family of six.

Jun 27 15 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I love hamburgers!   smile

Jun 27 15 12:41 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Justin wrote:
And the regular order of fries is pretty tasty and come in a volume to feed an Irish family of six.

the voluminous order of fries was the first turn off for me. the totally pedestrian burger was the second. freaking del taco makes a better cheeseburger...for real.

Jun 27 15 01:03 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Justin wrote:

GK photo wrote:
the voluminous order of fries was the first turn off for me. the totally pedestrian burger was the second. freaking del taco makes a better cheeseburger...for real.

Thanks for the thought.

I remember living in the land of Del Taco, but I don't have a basis of comparison for their cheeseburgers, because I didn't even care for their tacos, so I wasn't motivated to drill through their menu.

As a kid, I loved state fair fries. Never had fries like that anywhere else. When I bit into the Five Guys fries, the memories came flooding back. I enjoyed eating the free peanuts waiting for the food too.

Jun 27 15 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Justin wrote:

Thanks for the thought.

I remember living in the land of Del Taco, but I don't have a basis of comparison for their cheeseburgers, because I didn't even care for their tacos, so I wasn't motivated to drill through their menu.

As a kid, I loved state fair fries. Never had fries like that anywhere else. When I bit into the Five Guys fries, the memories came flooding back. I enjoyed eating the free peanuts waiting for the food too.

There is a Del Taco here near me.

Jun 27 15 04:37 am Link

Photographer

martin b

We have Taco Bell here in Philippines.  The most popular are the rice dishes.  The tacos aren't as popular.  It doesn't serve hamburgers.

Jun 27 15 04:41 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

So...I'm gonna admit something here... there's been MANY times I have been in contact with a Five Guy's (there's one even down the road from me right now) but I've never eaten it. sad

Jun 27 15 07:13 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Model Sarah wrote:
So...I'm gonna admit something here... there's been MANY times I have been in contact with a Five Guy's (there's one even down the road from me right now) but I've never eaten it. sad

You're missing something out of Your life.

Recently heard We were getting one locally so decided to check out the closest in Morgantown WV.

Hands down the best Burger I've had to date. and I've had a few.

Fries were excellent, next time I'll try them well done style.

http://hackthemenu.com/five-guys/secret-menu/

Jun 27 15 07:17 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Not sure if it is still around but there was Umama burgers in Los Angeles. I think on Sunset.  I miss them too.  God I'm getting hungry.

Jun 27 15 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Blue Cube Imaging

Ashland, Oregon, US

We've got BOTH In-and-Out and Five Guys opening here by September.

I've had In-and-Out and they're certainly better than Burger King, McDonalds, etc. I'm excited to try Five Guys.

The only issue here is both locations. They're within two blocks of each other, both on small lots in already congested traffic areas. I'm afraid the queue of cars will spill onto surface streets.

But for me (if I don't have the kids) we've got a bar that serves a 1/3 pound hand formed burger with all the fixin's for $3.50 and add garlic fries for $3.00 (huge basket). For $6.50 I'll choose them.

Jun 27 15 07:26 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Fifty One Imaging wrote:

You're missing something out of Your life.

Recently heard We were getting one locally so decided to check out the closest in Morgantown WV.

Hands down the best Burger I've had to date. and I've had a few.

Fries were excellent, next time I'll try them well done style.

http://hackthemenu.com/five-guys/secret-menu/

I knooooowwwww. sad

Jun 27 15 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Model Sarah wrote:

Try it.. they're simple, delicious burgers.  Nothing fancy or frou frou... just tasty meat on a tasty bun with tasty toppings.  And their peanut oil french fries are heroin in potato shape.

The regular burger is 2 patties which I don't like so I go for the "little" burger with mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup and mustard which is just right for me.  My wife and I share a "regular" fries.  They give you *way* too many for one.

Jun 27 15 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If we're going for "best burger I've ever eaten".. I'm not sure I could choose.  There are *alot* of burger joints in Toronto -- from tiny hole in the wall mom and pop places to fancy places and everything in between.  I've definitely had my top five burgers while living here.

Jun 27 15 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Oh, when we get the Five Guys burger, we have to add grilled onions to it. At least when I went to Macs, BK, Wendy's, etc., in the past, they did not offer grilled onions. Yummy.

Jun 27 15 10:42 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I feel like places like five guys and in-n-out are in a burger class of their own. They're certainly not Mcdonalds, BK, Wendys, theyre not steakhouse burgers, theyre not diner burgers, and theyre not fancy ass gourmet burgers. And I never see a point in trying to pit burgers from different categories against each other. I don't give a shit about the best of the best 20 dollar gourmet burger at 3am when Im not craving fancy, Im craving cheap and greasy and fast. Trying to choose between mcdonalds and the 20+ dollar burger they sell at ruths chris (which Ive never had, its probably terrible) is like asking me to pick between chicken or steak. I like them both, it depends on what Im in the mood for.

Of fast food burgers I choose mcdonalds.
I haven't ever had an incredible steakhouse burger
Between five guys or in-n-out I pick five guys
Of gourmet burgers we have a pretty good upscale burger place here called the W burger bar, they are damn delicious but you need to be quite hungry for them, theyre big. We don't go terribly often.
I don't really enjoy diner/mom and pop burgers at all, Ive never found one that I liked...like not even more than mcdonalds.
Oddly one of the best burgers we've ever had was in some tiny cafeteria attached to an art gallery in london that we wound up in when we got caught in the rain and were hungry.

Jun 27 15 08:15 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jun 27 15 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

barney's burgers. there are like six locations in the bay area. i ate at the one on shattuck, in berkeley. there are three so cal locations as well (one valley, two west side).

their standard cheeseburger is $8.50. not cheap, like five guys and in-n-out, but for the difference in price, you are making a quantum leap in quality. plus, they have the goddamned best effing onion rings i have ever had. at my age, i shouldn't be eating onion rings, but they are a guilty pleasure. smile

as far as chain burgers go, i'd still rather have a carl's jr famous star, before any offerings from in-n-out, or five guys. again, when i was in my 20's, in-n-out was way more appealing, especially since the nearest one was 12 miles away. now that they are ubiquitous, the novelty has worn off. you're stuck eating a mediocre burger, with sauce that can't be washed off your hands for days.

and for pete's sake...the soda jerk outfits are so passe by now.

yawn. tongue

Jun 27 15 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Wye wrote:

Try it.. they're simple, delicious burgers.  Nothing fancy or frou frou... just tasty meat on a tasty bun with tasty toppings.  And their peanut oil french fries are heroin in potato shape.

The regular burger is 2 patties which I don't like so I go for the "little" burger with mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup and mustard which is just right for me.  My wife and I share a "regular" fries.  They give you *way* too many for one.

I really never got the big deal with Five Guys but then no one makes a better cheeseburger than my dad.

To me a burger is something you eat at home -- I go out for food that I can't make or won't make at home.

Now Mickey D's fries with just the right amount of sog -- now we're talking.

Jun 27 15 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

Chris Madrid's place in San Antonio Texas, located at West Hollywood and Blanco. The main burger is the Macho Porky Delight. Chris died a few years back and his family had been running the place and now his sister has taken over the place and it is the same, just better managed. Only one in the world and it is the best burger you can get in this world. Oh, order the Macho fries, everything at Chris's place is MACHO!

Jun 28 15 03:26 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

I got to try Five Guys yesterday.  It was a beautiful day yesterday, so we got the trike out and headed for Joplin.  I thought my burger was pretty good.  I didn't care at all for the Cajun fries; way too much seasoning and they were soggy.  The peanuts were a bit stale.  All in all, my curiosity was satisfied, but I doubt it will be a regular stop for us.  I can get a better burger, definitely better fries, and leave with more money in my pocket at several other restaurants in the area.

Jun 28 15 07:48 am Link

Photographer

descending chain

San Diego, California, US

Best burger I have eaten was from a food truck in San Diego, MIHO.  I like In-N-Out, Five Guys, Smashburger, Habit, Fatburger, and all the rest, but MIHO's burger beat them all by a country mile.  MIHO changes their burger offering every week, though.  The second time I had a burger from them it was only very good, not insanely good.

Jun 28 15 08:09 am Link

Photographer

martin b

I know this is off topic but I miss fish tacos in southern california.  Next time I go back I will have to get some.  I also miss a dive chain called Alberto's/Robertos.  It is cheap deliscious Mexican food

Also thanks for a fun topic.

Jun 28 15 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

GK photo wrote:

probably because no one in their right mind goes to san gabriel, unless forced to. tongue smile

Their loss ... LOL

Jun 29 15 02:17 am Link