Forums > Photography Talk > Annoyed with the weather and people

Photographer

MB85Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I had three shoots scheduled today at the beach because the weather forecasts told me it wouldn't rain past noon. Well today it's telling me it'll be raining on the hours of the shoots so I had to text and cancel/reschedule. It sucks but I can't control the weather.

One of the models responds with "so i rescheduled my time and my makeup artists time and we cancel"? I responded with, "It's going to rain, I was told it wasn't. Would you like to reschedule?". She then says "thank you but no thank you", which really annoys me so I then respond with "I'm sorry about the rain and thunder today.". I get a response back saying if I'd like her to push up the time to "nicer weather" whatever that means. If it's raining at 2, and the shoot is scheduled for 5 (where it says it'll rain from 2-5), then there's no point.

At that point I think it's just time to move on from her and chalk this day up as a loss.

This is a bit of a vent post, but is there something I should do differently here in the future if this happens?

Jun 28 15 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Alternate location and theme in case the weather does not cooperate?

Jun 28 15 11:06 am Link

Photographer

MB85Photography

Kev Lawson wrote:
Alternate location and theme in case the weather does not cooperate?

Perhaps, but I shoot outdoors and let people know this. Plus the theme is the theme, at least for me.

Jun 28 15 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The day of this shoot it rained so I changed themes and we shot indoors... it worked out for us.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/140219/00/53046af48d8bd_m.jpg

Just saying I like to have backup plans. smile

Jun 28 15 11:15 am Link

Photographer

DarkSlide

Alexandria, Virginia, US

You're in NYC - make it work!

Jun 28 15 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I watch the weather on my phone if I have outdoor activities.

Jun 28 15 11:16 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I can understand your frustration AND the frustration of the model. If she is also setting up the makeup artist then she is doing double duty. I am not sure if I would personally accept an outdoor shoot with no backup plan, especially if I am getting a makeup artist involved.

Jun 28 15 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Isis22 wrote:
I can understand your frustration AND the frustration of the model. If she is also setting up the makeup artist then she is doing double duty. I am not sure if I would personally accept an outdoor shoot with no backup plan, especially if I am getting a makeup artist involved.

Fully agree!

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Jun 28 15 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Isis22 wrote:

I had a November nude shoot with a model in the Arizona desert at 5PM.  It became cool and windy at that time.  I suggested that we shoot at our hotel in Phoenix.  She was very happy to go back to Phoenix and shoot in my hotel room.   smile

Jun 28 15 11:33 am Link

Photographer

TaylorScott Photography

Surprise, Arizona, US

Bring a big umbrella tilt it back just enough to make the rain fall behind the you while stand underneath it. Have the model out in the rain. May yield some great shots. Try it before you are too displeased.

Jun 28 15 11:37 am Link

Photographer

MB85Photography

TaylorScott Photography wrote:
Bring a big umbrella tilt it back just enough to make the rain fall behind the you while stand underneath it. Have the model out in the rain. May yield some great shots. Try it before you are too displeased.

The umbrella thing is pretty clever! I'll have to write that one down. I think from now on I'll have to have some sort of a backup idea to this. Usually I can but it's hard to re-create sand and ocean water. At least for me.

Jun 28 15 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

Los Angeles, California, US

Isis22 wrote:

As a Photographer I didn't realize i was doing double duty all this time when I set up the makeup artist!
Good to know

Jun 28 15 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographybyT

Monterey, California, US

If the model wanted to shoot in the rain, I say go for it if your gear is weather proof. I once had an outdoor and beach shoot planned during a stormy weekend and it turned out pretty well. It may not be your traditional beach look but it might produce some interesting work.

Now days it's easy to keep up with the weather forecast as there are many apps to assist you, along with tidal apps as well.

Jun 28 15 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Photos_by_Stan

Youngstown, Ohio, US

It would all depend on whether you discussed the fact that you would cancel the shoot if it rained when you hired her and she knew it might happen.

How does it go ...
In a perfect world ...all parties involved would have checked the forecast for that day and someone should have brought up any questions about
-  " what if "
- or is it going to be " rain or shine "
- " other options " like a hotel or studio available

Jun 28 15 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've had that happen several times in the past . . .

What I've done is make lemonade out of the weather lemons . . . .

Find a nice dry spot to shoot from or use a large umbrella to cover the camera. Then have your model go out and pose & play IN THE RAIN !

It may not be exactly what you had in mind . . . . but you'll end up with some great images that you can't get otherwise.

KM

Jun 28 15 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Sure, anyone can make good images if all the conditions are perfect.  But all the conditions are rarely perfect.  Versatile photographers can make good image happen even when challenged with less-than-perfect conditions.

Have contingency plans.
Make do with what you got. 
Don't get married to a specific theme if the conditions just aren't there.

It's Mother Nature challenging you -- rise to the challenge!  You're the photographer -- you should be taking the lead.

(This would be a good topic for another thread -- what images did you produce when you couldn't execute your planned shoot?)

And c'mon -- can't you understand the model's frustration, even a little bit?

Good luck.

Jun 28 15 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I did this a few days ago under a viaduct as it was raining.   Going forward look around for overpasses or places that offer some overhead shelter.   You don't want to turn models aways especially if they are bringing MUA.   Another ideal is to make friends with restaurant owners and shop owners.   This may sound odd but some will let you shoot in their places if things are slow or before they officially open.    In other words do all you can to make things work.   Scout your community out.     The shot is a bit noisy but I like it.

https://wm43.inbox.com/thumbs/279_aa232_d4c82a88_oJ.jpg.thumb

Jun 28 15 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

I  hate sunny day shoots more than rainy day shoots.

Jun 28 15 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

A key principle is to respect the other person's time.

It sounds like the model and her make-up artist were still keen to shoot, so it may have been smarter to respect their wishes even if it meant altering your plans.

Jun 28 15 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Harlequins Mask

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Personality Imaging wrote:

Me too!

I usually have a backup location that is out of the weather if I can. Not always possible, and I do like to stick with a theme when I have one, but sometimes, well, the unexpected can produce good results.

Cheers.

- Warren B.

Jul 10 15 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Try dealing with 110+*F temps like I get here.

Jul 10 15 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Anabel DFlux

Always have a back-up plan for outdoor shoots. Better yet, if the model is still willing, adapt to the situation.

I've shot in terrible weather before- I shoot primarily for musicians and print magazines, they don't give a hoot about the weather. When there is a deadline, there is a deadline. Adaptability is the key to success. Apply this concept to every shoot, and you won't get annoyed!

Jul 10 15 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Personality Imaging wrote:

I've had shoots in the desert.

Jul 10 15 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

My rule of thumb is that if I have to keep checking weather reports to see if I have a possible window, it's like rolling the dice and it's not worth it. Reschedule the shoot when there is a higher likelihood of better weather conditions.

Jul 10 15 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I can see Russia from my window

Jul 11 15 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I got rained on once here in AZ,  doesn't happen often,  this is how I managed
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110816/21/4e4b456fac391.jpg

Jul 11 15 03:19 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
I've had that happen several times in the past . . .

What I've done is make lemonade out of the weather lemons . . . .

Find a nice dry spot to shoot from or use a large umbrella to cover the camera. Then have your model go out and pose & play IN THE RAIN !

It may not be exactly what you had in mind . . . . but you'll end up with some great images that you can't get otherwise.

KM

+1

Jul 11 15 03:27 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

KungPaoChic wrote:

I can see clearly now, the rain has gone.

Jul 11 15 03:28 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

ChadAlan wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKmJGXhSmaY

OP -- backup plan -- so you can't shoot your theme. Photography is like life -- it's solving problems and learning to roll with the punches.

You can always give the option to the model or let them know right up front that if it rains you will be rescheduling and see if they are ok with that. Communication is key.

If they have a makeup artist lined up and made time it is understandable that they might be disappointed.

If you have lights you could always do headshots or beauty -- you don't need a lot of room for that.

Jul 11 15 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

KungPaoChic wrote:

Not from Florida!

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 377c9c.jpg

Jul 11 15 04:12 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

ChadAlan wrote:

KungPaoChic wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKmJGXhSmaY

OP -- backup plan -- so you can't shoot your theme. Photography is like life -- it's solving problems and learning to rol with the punches.

You can always give the option to the model or let them know right up front that if it rains you will be rescheduling and see if they are ok with that. Communication is key.

If they have a makeup artist lined up and made time it is undersrtandable that they might be disappointed.

If you have lights you could always do headshots or beauty -- you don't need a lot of room for that.

For KPC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t30cX6OGO0U

Yes giving the model the option is good. "Hey it's probably going to rain, I'm game if you are, but we might need to find another place to shoot. What do you think?" etc.

As photographers, we encounter the unexpected quite often and finding creative ways to solve obstacles, is an asset.

Jul 11 15 04:26 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Rob Photosby wrote:
A key principle is to respect the other person's time.
It sounds like the model and her make-up artist were still keen to shoot, so it may have been smarter to respect their wishes even if it meant altering your plans.

+1
Agree this type of inflexibility is deleterious, because, among other things, prevents to improve.
It's better make an attempt to transform a problem into an opportunity to overcome a shortage of preparation.

Jul 11 15 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Chris David Photography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

When I was shooting events and especially on the wedding side we still shoot hail, rain or shine and I've had a wedding that was hit with all 3. For almost all model shoots its the same - improvise, work with the location or find a more sheltered spot. Also alter the concept on the go to work with the elements your faced with.

Jul 11 15 07:50 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

Jul 11 15 09:39 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

Chris David Photography wrote:
When I was shooting events and especially on the wedding side we still shoot hail, rain or shine and I've had a wedding that was hit with all 3. For almost all model shoots its the same - improvise, work with the location or find a more sheltered spot. Also alter the concept on the go to work with the elements your faced with.

True story. Life happens.

You need to learn how to deal with it.

Jul 11 15 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

KungPaoChic wrote:

Says who?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb5mRBM … MZbYo#t=28
big_smile

They were high!   lol

Jul 11 15 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

KungPaoChic wrote:

True story. Life happens.

You need to learn how to deal with it.

True!  If I have a shoot with a beautiful model I will photograph her no matter what happens.   smile

Jul 11 15 09:58 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

They were high!   lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAlNrtcPCLw

Jul 11 15 10:11 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

True!  If I have a shoot with a beautiful model I will photograph her no matter what happens.   smile

I would shoot shoot her in the rain on train.

with a fox inside a box.
I would shoot her here or there.
I would shoot her anywhere.

Jul 11 15 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

KungPaoChic wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAlNrtcPCLw

You have a You Tube video for everything!   big_smile

Jul 11 15 10:17 am Link