Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Getting over true hatred

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

Can you ever get over the feeling of honest and true hatred in your heart? I've held my wife wife in my arms while she has cried herself to sleep too many times. Her family has completely turned on her and myself over the lies that spilled out of her evil old hag of a mother.  The family hates us over nothing but lies and until all this I never truly felt hate.
     I've never felt this way and have no idea if I will stop feeling this. I know I'll never accept them into our lives again.  I don't think my wife will either. This is like the made up shit on Springer. Have you ever been able to get over feeling complete hate toward someone or a group of people?

Sep 07 15 05:00 pm Link

Model

Keith NYC

Tampa, Florida, US

Distance and time helps. I've had that feeling in the past only towards one person where it's as strong as you have described. More or less same situation set up as well. Although I will never trust them again, I wish nothing but good things for them now. May not be an option for you but distance and avoiding themwill help. If I never see them again I'll be able to continue wishing nothing but the best for them. Haha

Sep 07 15 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Why the need to get over it ?
I dont buy into the religious stuff of universal forgiveness

Sep 07 15 05:19 pm Link

Model

Keith NYC

Tampa, Florida, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

Me neither, it makes me feel better to be honest. Grudges can easily ruin my day so I avoid them if possible.

Sep 07 15 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

OP, once you forgive someone it helps you to heal.   I know that may seem like new age nonsense but forgive and move on.   Perhaps your wife's mother is mentally disturbed or has held on to some past hurt.   In any event don't let her feelings poison yours.   Reach out to her during the holidays or birthdays, etc.   If you can ever have a discussion with her ask non judgmental questions.   Don't argue or become defensive.   My guess is your wife would like a relationship with her mother.   My point is don't give up or let her (mothers) pain and anger become yours.   

One of my favorite books is:   The Four Agreements.   It has some great advice.

Sep 07 15 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

No need to deal with hatred.  It's a complete time waster and will wreck you.
Get rid of the problem.  Your life will be much better for it.

Sep 07 15 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Just move on dude, no need to stress about it.

Sep 07 15 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

My mother is not a good person, she did a lot of damage to me and my two brothers as kids - I hated her for that.

Then I found religion (I am still an athiest) I am Buddhist. I am not saying you should be religious or Buddhist, but that religion can be good.

I realized that by hating this person, I am giving power to them over me. I am allowing them to effect my life.

I would probally go see a therapist, and just let go of this person. You would be happier and have more freedom.

Sep 07 15 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:
Can you ever get over the feeling of honest and true hatred in your heart? I've held my wife wife in my arms while she has cried herself to sleep too many times. Her family has completely turned on her and myself over the lies that spilled out of her evil old hag of a mother.  The family hates us over nothing but lies and until all this I never truly felt hate.
     I've never felt this way and have no idea if I will stop feeling this. I know I'll never accept them into our lives again.  I don't think my wife will either. This is like the made up shit on Springer. Have you ever been able to get over feeling complete hate toward someone or a group of people?

You cannot control how others feel about you.  But you can absolutely control how you feel about others.

Simply choose.  Choose apathy.  Choose to put your energy into yourselves and each other, rather than those that choose to treat you so poorly.

Sep 07 15 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

"Hate never gave anyone herpes." Joan Rivers
https://exploringfeminisms.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/ihateeveryone.jpg

Love+Hate = Harmony
https://orig10.deviantart.net/221b/f/2008/034/f/8/animated_yin_yang_by_itchyeyestudios.gif

Sep 07 15 06:58 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Love is one of the most intense emotions felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional ailments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.

Just saying.

There is always simply removing yourself and your wife from any communique/contact from the mother.
No interaction, no problem.

Sep 07 15 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

toxic people can be very damaging. i think sometimes you have to distance yourself to regain your perspective (and sanity). maybe take a year or two off from them (assuming wife is willing) and then see.

Sep 07 15 07:51 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Sometimes, when the culprit in these situations, gets ill or dies, things change.  People not under their influence any more will start to see her as the liar she was.  But there are others that she has damaged or molded into her way.  The only thing in your wife's circumstance, that the two of you can do, is move onto other relationships.  Forget the toxic ones.  Didn't this woman have something to do with the problems you had at your house?

While religious attitudes have some personal benefits, religions are often filled with toxic people.  I suggest finding a volunteer situation that will help your wife meet wonderful people.  Counseling may be in order, also.  Counseling can help you and your wife to overcome this.

Good luck.

Sep 07 15 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I can't tell you what you should or shouldn't do, but this is what I do:when someone does something to me that is bad enough to make me hate them I cut them off (as you already have) and try to remember as little as possible about them. It's impossible for me to forget them, but I spend very little time thinking about them whenever possible. This helps to keep my blood pressure lower (which is a good thing because my blood pressure is generally sky high).

My thinking: I can't save or be friends with everyone but I can die trying. Chances are good they're just moochers, stealing everything they can from a person including happiness, peace and comfort. When I die, they'll still be going around doing it to other people. Why? Because they can and those people let them.

If all this has truly started over some lies they believe, the problem isn't yours, it's theirs. This isn't your circus and it's not your monkeys, either. You can try making it yours but you're the only one to suffer in the end.

I say just stay away from them. In time, they'll come to see the error in their ways. If they don't, that's fine. If they do, you don't have to accept them back. Once a person makes it onto my s&it list, they don't get off. Ever. I likely won't remember all the details of how they got on it but I will remember they are. I have forgotten who was on the list and did something else for or with them and they quickly reminded me that they are on it. My fault ... but at least I didn't spend a whole bunch of time thinking about how to get them back.

As the Don Henley/Eagles song says ... keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside.

Sep 07 15 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Hate takes up my energy. If there are people I want to hate, I prefer not to have them take up my energy. If I let them anger or enrage me, I'm letting them hold sway over my emotional state. That's counterproductive.

The best revenge for me is to 1) simply not let them matter and 2) try, as the adage goes, to live well.

Sep 07 15 08:50 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Sometimes, when the culprit in these situations, gets ill or dies, things change.  People not under their influence any more will start to see her as the liar she was.  But there are others that she has damaged or molded into her way.

TRUTH

Sep 07 15 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby C

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Jules NYC wrote:
Love is one of the most intense emotions felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional ailments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.

Just saying.

There is always simply removing yourself and your wife from any communique/contact from the mother.
No interaction, no problem.

+

Sep 07 15 09:25 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:

I am sorry for your situation.  I grew up with a family rift between my two parents--always felt that I was playing the role of Kissinger.   It's weird how hate can develop. As an adult, I try to avoid hating anyone because I think it diminishes your own life.  However, when people do evil things to you, it's a natural human response to hate them for it--at least for a time.  It's often best to walk away, but when it's family, that's often impossible to do without affecting other relationships. So, then you are just left with learning how to build up a tolerance to all the drama.

Sep 08 15 12:02 am Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

Hatred eats away at your time and energy. The best way to deal with people who treat you unfairly is to live a good happy life on your own terms.

Sep 08 15 02:17 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

hatred is an internal guilt feeling. just tell them exactly how you feel about them so the playing field is leveled.

honesty is the best policy... after all, they are being honest with you. ever think those lies might be true?... they believe it.

Sep 08 15 05:50 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I have been thinking of this post and wanted to address a few things here:

Many will advise to release your negative emotion/hatred, etc., yet it really doesn't get to the root of the problem here.  You are feeling this emotion because you love your wife and are seeing her in excruciating pain. Manipulative people can cause great problems in love relationships and within the family.

I've found when experiencing great injustice, all the comfort in the world don't soothe an aching heart, what does work is understanding "Why" people do this and how to be smart enough to deflect such energy.

Why do people manipulate others to their own benefit?  Many reasons; they can be quite deep.  Most abusive people are in great need of power and control.  It is the very root why people rape or rape minds.  Manipulation is not designed solely for the weak, manipulators are good at what they do and consider people's emotions like a chess game.  Do you realize that sociopathic people study emotion to manipulate it?

When I read the 'Sociopath Next Door' I learned the greatest commodity is not money, it's pity.  When someone has your pity, they realize you will do anything for them.  Let me go on...

Ever read 'Great Expectations' by Dickens?  Why would an old woman want to destroy a young man's happiness?  To be the puppeteer in one's misery?  Simple.  This bad thing happened to me, so I will find joy in watching someone else be miserable.  Understand the sick logic here?  It could be anyone, family member or not.  People that are entwined within their misery find 'happiness' in others who can re-live their trauma.  Get it?  Mothers can be especially manipulative because they hold a 'power' to family members.  They want her approval, they want her love.  How could a mother lie and deceive her own sons/daughters/etc.?  Oh it happens, it does.

What power it must be to be the exalted 'Oz' in everyone's life?  The point person, a queen in her own mind to administer right and wrong, good and bad in the world?

It's a harsh reality to understand that a primary caregiver could be so evil.  Some people struggle with this their entire lives.  Not everyone is blessed with a loving family, parents that have provided a stable home with love, together for years.

I am currently reading a book on abuse.  The main audience is for women that are dealing with abusive men.  They can be physically or emotionally abusive or both.  The premise is exactly the same on abusive behavior in general, not gender specific.  I have a strong feeling this mother-in-law is using every manipulative tactic in the book with anyone within her clutches. This is not to say her behavior will ever change.  At heart I truly believe people do not change.  People change behaviors, not their core motivations/instincts/feeling.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Does-He-That- … B000Q9J0RO
http://www.pdf-archive.com/2014/07/20/w … e-do-that/

I wish both of you great love.  I wouldn't want your wife to shed any more tears and have a lifetime of not understanding WHY she is the target for this abuse.  It must be very painful and I am very sorry.

Truth is, some people are never capable of love.  Love is a very subjective feeling.  How can one expect love from one who is not capable?  Do we have empathy for that person?  That's another discussion altogether.  Forgiveness is a personal thing.  I can say this for certain, one can choose not to forgive someone and release the negative/hateful emotion that goes with that choice.  People here are telling you to release the hatred.  Well, how can you when your wife is crying, in a state of chronic stress and slowly being attacked down to nothing?

I 'get' it.

Go to therapy. Talk it out.  Have a confrontation.  Do what's best for HER and for you.  Whatever it takes.  Don't expect the relationship to mend. Don't expect the mother-in-law's behavior to change.  How are the both of you going to live from this point forward?  Sometimes closure is not possible.  There are people that still agonize through these feelings even AFTER the abuser/manipulator dies. 

Not easy to ACCEPT that one's mother has evil intention built within her person.

I hope that my long-winded thoughts served some purpose here.
Peace, love & light,

Julie

Sep 08 15 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

BlueMoonPics wrote:
No need to deal with hatred.  It's a complete time waster and will wreck you.
Get rid of the problem.  Your life will be much better for it.

Executive decisions. Leadership. Be a pillar of mature thoughtful emotional strength for those around you. Manage your own life. Don't allow yourself to get sucked into her childish manipulation games.

Fire the bitch. Remove her from your life and carry on. Don't let her problems become your problems. Anything short of that enables her selfish egotism and her evil drama-mongering. Don't respond to her temper tantrums. Until she comes to her senses and learns to behave she has earned the rank of persona non grata in your life. 

Rebuild a positive mental attitude and positive quality relationships for yourself and the people around you who you love.

There are givers and takers. Embrace and cherish the givers. Avoid the takers and purge them from your life without further ado. Let them stew in their own juice without you - a fitting and just reward for people who get like that.

Sep 08 15 08:13 am Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

Living with long term disgust or hatred is not considered to be healthiest smile

Sep 08 15 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Jules NYC wrote:
Do you realize that sociopathic people study emotion to manipulate it

I'm of the opinion that forgiveness has little to do with the perp and everything to do with the victim. The victim doesn't forgive for the perp's benefit but for their own. One can study emotion and behavior until they are blue in the face or even beyond ... but they may never come up with a reason why a person would do something (even if they're wrong in their guessing) and they may never know anything at all, even if they ask the perp.

The perp will likely be angry enough about whatever it is that caused it that they won't say anything to them, or will say "I don't know" because they they have no logical reason or something else I haven't thought of as yet.

I'm also of the opinion that the only emotion the OP is attempting to manipulate is their own. If they can fix or manipulate theirs into a better state, maybe they can help their spouse, too. It seems they've already decided that the perp is a lost cause and want nothing else to do with them. They're just trying to fix themselves before they have a serious problem (or their spouse does).

I personally have zero problem with the question because I've been in this position before and had to work things out before someone died (could've been me). The situation was different but the emotion was similar (I can't say the same because I have no idea what anyone else is feeling at any given time though with a good description, I can imagine).

Sep 08 15 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

I have always felt the only way to really forgive somebody and the only time they deserve it is if they do something to atone for the harm and hurt they have inflicted.  Sorry doesn't cut it.

Sep 08 15 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
There are givers and takers. Embrace and cherish the givers. Avoid the takers and purge them from your life without further ado. Let them stew in their own juice without you - a fitting and just reward for people who get like that.

Respectfully, I have to disagree with this. If one embraces the givers and avoids the takers, one becomes a taker themselves, IMO.

I say embrace and cherish those who give and take. This, for me, is part of a relationship of any type. A model gives a pose, a photographer takes a picture. A store has an item you want. You give them money and take the item. A spouse wants someone who will cook for them. You want someone to do the laundry. So ... you do the cooking and they do the laundry. It works out great.

On the other hand, if the spouse does the laundry and the cooking, that would be great for you but it gets really old, really fast for said spouse and it may lead to the same type of hatred/anger and ultimately the end of the relationship. It's the same thing (on some level) if a store has an item you want but they won't let you have it unless you give them what you think is far too much money. Have you ever dealt with a model who didn't want to pose?

Sep 08 15 08:29 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
I'm of the opinion that forgiveness has little to do with the perp and everything to do with the victim. The victim doesn't forgive for the perp's benefit but for their own. One can study emotion and behavior until they are blue in the face or even beyond ... but they may never come up with a reason why a person would do something (even if they're wrong in their guessing) and they may never know anything at all, even if they ask the perp.

The perp will likely be angry enough about whatever it is that caused it that they won't say anything to them, or will say "I don't know" because they they have no logical reason or something else I haven't thought of as yet.

I'm also of the opinion that the only emotion the OP is attempting to manipulate is their own. If they can fix or manipulate theirs into a better state, maybe they can help their spouse, too. It seems they've already decided that the perp is a lost cause and want nothing else to do with them. They're just trying to fix themselves before they have a serious problem (or their spouse does).

I personally have zero problem with the question because I've been in this position before and had to work things out before someone died (could've been me). The situation was different but the emotion was similar (I can't say the same because I have no idea what anyone else is feeling at any given time though with a good description, I can imagine).

One can decide to call themselves the 'victim'.  I don't believe one has to forgive to release negative energy. Usually the perpetrators ask for forgiveness to absolve their own guilt.

I really don't care about the feelings of someone who is sick.
Just as an aside, I don't think it is very nice to think the OP is manipulating anything. 
He is hurting and so is his wife.  Lay off.

Sep 08 15 08:31 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Stephen Fletcher wrote:
I have always felt the only way to really forgive somebody and the only time they deserve it is if they do something to atone for the harm and hurt they have inflicted.  Sorry doesn't cut it.

THIS.

Sep 08 15 08:32 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/jbilotta/forgive-and-forget-grumpy-cat_zpsxqrf9qgw.jpg

https://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/smoking%20jesus.gif

Sep 08 15 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I had two people maliciously and continually try to ruin my life about 18 years ago.  They never showed any remorse. What they did is unforgivable. It's something that will never be reconciled.   It's not so much that I ever stopped hating them for what they did to me, but rather I just put it behind me and moved on with my life.

Sep 08 15 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

*Have you ever heard this saying.....
........"Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die"......

Why focus your energy on those you hate....
when you have soo many others to focus on
...that you Love..!!

Sep 08 15 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Jules NYC wrote:
One can decide to call themselves the 'victim'.  I don't believe one has to forgive to release negative energy. Usually the perpetrators ask for forgiveness to absolve their own guilt.

I really don't care about the feelings of someone who is sick.

I only said it that way (perp vs victim) because the situation may not be just like this one but someone may well have some wrongdoing against them. For instance, if one is walking down a corridor at work and for some unknown reason someone opts to punch them in the head ...

Yes, one can report this to police or at least HR (if there is an HR) but one still has their own emotions to deal with until it gets buried or resolved.

In this case, the OP's family  (in laws, but family nonetheless) has turned against them and their spouse over some 3rd party lies. They are the "victim" of a "crime" (someone told some lie about them that some stupid, gullible or otherwise weak person believed and turned against them). If one has never had this happen, (not pointing fingers at anyone) it's no big deal. For those who have it happen (especially when it's family), at some point it hurts because these are the people who is supposed to have one's back. Of course, people are going to fight, bicker, argue and otherwise disagree from time to time but one never expects to lose them, especially if they haven't done anything or if it's because someone made something up.

To me, it sounds like grade school playground behavior (he said this about you so we're not going to be friends anymore) on the perp's part. I'm one who believes what a person says but it doesn't end my relationships with other people without confirmation. It could all be a misunderstanding. Someone could've lied. There are all sorts of possibilities.

Sep 08 15 08:45 am Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Nope. Instead, I acknowledge that hate and grudge are part of my life now, and I embrace them, which enables me to move forward with my life.

I think it also depends on your 'starting point'. Many people, for example, have the attitude of: if you are new to me, you have to put some effort to earn my respect. My starting point is the opposite: if you are new to me, you have my respect, but you have to put some effort to keep it that way.

Depending on the starting point, it might affect how you think about hate, grudge, but also sins like envy or gluttony. In my case, because I give strangers the benefit of the doubt, respect at first, I will forever hate them when they stab me in the back.

Sep 08 15 08:48 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:

I only said it that way (perp vs victim) because the situation may not be just like this one but someone may well have some wrongdoing against them. For instance, if one is walking down a corridor at work and for some unknown reason someone opts to punch them in the head ...

Yes, one can report this to police or at least HR (if there is an HR) but one still has their own emotions to deal with until it gets buried or resolved.

In this case, the OP's family  (in laws, but family nonetheless) has turned against them and their spouse over some 3rd party lies. They are the "victim" of a "crime" (someone told some lie about them that some stupid, gullible or otherwise weak person believed and turned against them). If one has never had this happen, (not pointing fingers at anyone) it's no big deal. For those who have it happen (especially when it's family), at some point it hurts because these are the people who is supposed to have one's back. Of course, people are going to fight, bicker, argue and otherwise disagree from time to time but one never expects to lose them, especially if they haven't done anything or if it's because someone made something up.

To me, it sounds like grade school playground behavior (he said this about you so we're not going to be friends anymore) on the perp's part. I'm one who believes what a person says but it doesn't end my relationships with other people without confirmation. It could all be a misunderstanding. Someone could've lied. There are all sorts of possibilities.

Bottom line, it's about trust.

Hard to understand dishonesty at heart when a 'friend', family member, etc., has longevity in the relationship.
Period.

Sep 08 15 08:52 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

RINALDI wrote:
Nope. Instead, I acknowledge that hate and grudge are part of my life now, and I embrace them, which enables me to move forward with my life.

I think it also depends on your 'starting point'. Many people, for example, have the attitude of: if you are new to me, you have to put some effort to earn my respect. My starting point is the opposite: if you are new to me, you have my respect, but you have to put some effort to keep it that way.

Depending on the starting point, it might affect how you think about hate, grudge, but also sins like envy or gluttony. In my case, because I give strangers the benefit of the doubt, respect at first, I will forever hate them when they stab me in the back.

For me with new people, I have a fresh starting point.  "A new broom always sweeps clean."  I don't hold any past grievances of my own experience against said new person.

It takes time to earn trust. I don't just hand out trust immediately.  To me, that is foolish.  It could take years to reveal personal information to a trusted friend.  If they are not trusted, they could just share that information like ordering a Big Mac and fries at the drive-through.  Absolutely unacceptable.

Sometimes good people do stupid things completely worth forgiving.  There is a difference between not having enough emotional intelligence to be mature and having evil intent to cause harm.  I have no compassion and empathy for evil intent.

Sep 08 15 08:56 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Julietsdream wrote:
*Have you ever heard this saying.....
........"Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die"......

Why focus your energy on those you hate....
when you have soo many others to focus on
...that you Love..!!

I find immunity from the poison.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/16/f6/6f/16f66f683ea18bd6e12c071e53a6bade.jpg

Sep 08 15 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
Respectfully, I have to disagree with this. If one embraces the givers and avoids the takers, one becomes a taker themselves, IMO.

I say embrace and cherish those who give and take. This, for me, is part of a relationship of any type. A model gives a pose, a photographer takes a picture. A store has an item you want. You give them money and take the item. A spouse wants someone who will cook for them. You want someone to do the laundry. So ... you do the cooking and they do the laundry. It works out great.

On the other hand, if the spouse does the laundry and the cooking, that would be great for you but it gets really old, really fast for said spouse and it may lead to the same type of hatred/anger and ultimately the end of the relationship. It's the same thing (on some level) if a store has an item you want but they won't let you have it unless you give them what you think is far too much money. Have you ever dealt with a model who didn't want to pose?

A different kind of "give and take."

Point taken. Thanks for giving.

Sep 08 15 09:04 am Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Jules NYC wrote:

For me with new people, I have a fresh starting point.  "A new broom always sweeps clean."  I don't hold any past grievances of my own experience against said new person.

It takes time to earn trust. I don't just hand out trust immediately.  To me, that is foolish.  It could take years to reveal personal information to a trusted friend.  If they are not trusted, they could just share that information like ordering a Big Mac and fries at the drive-through.  Absolutely unacceptable.

Sometimes good people do stupid things completely worth forgiving.  There is a difference between not having enough emotional intelligence to be mature and having evil intent to cause harm.  I have no compassion and empathy for evil intent.

That's why I said respect, not trust wink New people will have my respect, respect for them as human beings, with their own lives, experiences, social and emotional baggage, etc. Of course, I don't share personal info or stuff like that instantly, they have to earn the trust.

In my view, respect and trust are correlated, but can be separate. I can respect an opponent, but not trust him. If I have been nice to you, and you stab me in the back, you lose my respect and trust. If you try all your best to make it right, I can respect that, but you need to work extra to earn the trust again.

I am very pragmatic wink

Sep 08 15 09:09 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

RINALDI wrote:

That's why I said respect, not trust wink New people will have my respect, respect for them as human beings, with their own lives, experiences, social and emotional baggage, etc. Of course, I don't share personal info or stuff like that instantly, they have to earn the trust.

In my view, respect and trust are correlated, but can be separate. I can respect an opponent, but not trust him. If I have been nice to you, and you stab me in the back, you lose my respect and trust. If you try all your best to make it right, I can respect that, but you need to work extra to earn the trust again.

I am very pragmatic wink

*tips hat

Sep 08 15 09:24 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I don't understand hating a person. I mean I have severely disliked people before but never hate. It's just too much wasted energy. I end up turning dislike/disgust into pity.

Sep 08 15 09:42 am Link