Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > How important is a cell phone camera to you?

Photographer

Natural Body Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

We went to hang out with our daughter at her college's homecoming and I forgot my camera.  We enjoyed ourselves inspire of and maybe because everything was  easy/simple:  My wife, our son and I took pics when we wanted, what we wanted and since everyone around us had cell phones we could capture people acting naturally..relaxed, laughing, dancing.  In some of my favorite blogs, ordinary people show wonderful  creative angles.    Cells  may never be up to par with ultra expensive digital, medium format images, but millions of people are sure having a lot of fun with them; how about you?

Oct 17 15 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

It's the camera I always have with me.
It's the one I can immediately post images to social media with.
It's the one that will automatically create a cloud backup of.

It does things my giant (by comparison) D810 with vertical grip and speed flash could not do. 

For me, the camera on my iPhone 6 is very important.  I don't use it for model shoots, but I use it for a lot of other things.

Oct 17 15 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

There's another thread on this topic here, https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/951293

My personal opinion, no serious photographer would use a cellphone camera exclusively for shooting

Oct 17 15 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Body Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Deep Visions wrote:
There's another thread on this topic here, https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/951293

My personal opinion, no serious photographer would use a cellphone camera exclusively for shooting

"exclusively" -no...I would agree with that Deep Vision.  However cell phones remind me why I became a photographer; I might incorporate a set during my shoots.

Oct 17 15 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Not sure it's "important" but it sure is convenient.

Oct 17 15 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

Natural Body Photo  wrote:
...cell phones remind me why I became a photographer; I might incorporate a set during my shoots.

Perhaps under certain conditions & depending on the type of shoot you could use a cellphone with a decent camera, though not sure what those would be since I never even considered using my crappy Nokia for one

Oct 17 15 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

- Phil H -

Mildenhall, England, United Kingdom

Last time I used mine was to record a realtors phone number on a store front, four, five months ago. Other than for things like that, I never use it . . . that said I have an S120 with me 95% of the time and G1X that pretty much lives in my car.

Oct 17 15 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Completely unimportant since I never use them

Oct 18 15 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

Mike Collins wrote:
Not sure it's "important" but it sure is convenient.

What he said.

Oct 18 15 11:08 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

does my flip phone have a camera?

Oct 18 15 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

As others have said, my cell phone gets used to capture images that aren't important, especially if I have my "real" camera available.  Real estate signs, people doing silly/stupid things, cool cars on the road, things going only to social media ... that kind of thing. If I have my "real" camera with me, I'll use it even if it is a bit of a hassle to get it onto social media.

Some people get nervous when I have my "real" camera (BTW, I say "real" because it's actually about 5 years old now and only a step better than entry level when it was new, but since I attached the battery grip and speed light, I am often asked what newspaper I work for or I'm accused of being paparazzi) because people seem to be afraid of cameras in public (though 99% of people carry one, too).

Oct 18 15 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

my galaxy s6 active has already taken some great photos and the wife's iPhone 6s isn't half bad either. especially in good conditions who needs to lug around a lot of gear that could just wind up getting stolen?

Oct 18 15 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

It's replaced my $50 point & shoot.

Oct 18 15 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

A couple years ago I read article that boldly asked in the title something like "Is the iPhone camera the only camera you'll ever need?"
My initial response was a resounding, "OF COURSE NOT!"
After reading the article, i relented, somewhat but not totally.
With proper adaptive lenses and software, an iPhone can do some pretty amazing things.

I did a test--I took picture with my SLR and some of the same subject with iPhone.
I presented both to two of my photographer instructors. They were not able to distinguish the source of the images.

When iPhones shoot in RAW, then they'll give SLRs a run for their money, IMHO.

I sometimes use cell phone on set to take some shots that need no post production work...and to share with others who might have not been able to make it to the shoot.

Oct 18 15 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

There are wide-angle guys/gals and there are telephoto guys/gals. I think the wide-angle guys/gals are happy with their cell phone images. As a telephoto guy, I find the my iPhone pretty much useless except for recording, say, the type of replacement widget I have to buy at the hardware store or the condition of the package the UPS guy just delivered.

Oct 18 15 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

It is will be very important to capture the Great Event.

https://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/cirtapfotos/4a1f03b2-5b33-4164-aeda-4f0fd679dad1.jpg

Oct 18 15 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

dp

Oct 18 15 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

My GoPro is my "walking around" camera.  I never use my cell phone camera.

Oct 19 15 01:21 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

For me it's important for many reasons.

I like organizing things visually. It can serve as a kind of "sketch pad" as I explore ideas or make my lists of things to do. I snap many things with my iphone for reference.

The lack of serious data content to work with in Photoshop can be frustrating, but "selfies" and simple impulsive candid snap shots and short video clips can have a charm of their own. Building a body of material for fond memories is not necessarily dependent on using an expensive camera.

Internet, forums, blogs, social media etc., has changed many things, including standards for photography. In lots of situations, a fast crappy quality photo or video is good enough to get the job done.

Phone cameras vs. expensive quality cameras is kind of like the old arguments we used to have about film vs digital. Lots of the film guys have died off one way or the other, so nobody cares about film anymore. I think the same thing is happening with easy access phone cameras. So what if you have $50,000 worth of equipment back at the studio?

Oct 19 15 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Cell phones have cameras? Huh, learn something new every day I suppose.

Oct 19 15 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Building a body of material for fond memories is not necessarily dependent on using an expensive camera.

I couldn't agree more.  The best camera, especially for personal photos, is the one you have with you.  The number of phone photos I've used has increased dramatically since my kid was born.  A DSLR just gets to be a pain in the ass to carry around when you also have to think about always having clean clothes, diapers, snacks, etc., as well as the ever-present possibility that you're going to have to carry the kid too, who may or may not actually want to be carried. 

Out of curiosity, I just checked my personal photos from the last 3 years.  In 2013, about 75% of my photos were taken with a DSLR, but in 2014-15, that decreased to about 50%.  In the middle 2013, I upgraded to the Galaxy S4, which has an excellent camera.

Despite the roughly 50/50 split, I notice that when I break out the DSLR, I'm likely to take a lot more photos.  But it happens a lot less often.  I might use the DSLR once or twice a month and take dozens of photos, but I'll use the phone camera several times every week and take just a handful at a time.

So with the DSLR, I'll have great memories of Christmas or the family trip to Sesame Place, but with the phone, I can more easily grab pictures of all the random moments that happen between.

Oct 19 15 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I love the camera on my iPhone. I always have it with me and the quality is very good. I really love the video as well. Tonight Jill and I are going to a family gathering and instead of my DSLR I will do fine with the phone. By the time the evening is over everyone will have the pictures sent to them and I don't have to carry a big camera around.

I don't know who it was who said, "Hey, let's stick a camera in a cell phone!" But I am glad someone did.

And let us not forget the important role cell cams play in citizen journalism.

Oct 20 15 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

How important have amateur phone camera snaps and videos become to the news? to law enforcement? to the reputations of people who get busted? to the paparazzi? the phenomenon of things that "go viral."

As Donald Trump might say .... "YOUUUUUUUUUGE"

https://www.charlesapple.com/uploads/2011/06/110617WeinerNYPost-400x445.jpg

Oct 20 15 08:10 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Like Click I use my pictures to organize much of my life.

I have to take a pic of where I parked in the city sometimes, and currently I'm snapping pix of my algebra homework for submission, as my poc scanner gave up recently.

The keeping-in touch with mom across the pong is much easier (I'll just show her what I ate instead of 'splaining so much), and then there's of course all the fun times one needs to capture...
cannot do without it any more, specially as visual learner.

Oct 20 15 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I use my phone to watch the weather ahead when I have a long drive up north.
Also I use the GPS, search and check emails.

Oct 20 15 11:32 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Just got a LG G4 today.....Remarkable image quality in low light and like the option to shoot raw files.. Hope PS will recognize them!

Oct 20 15 04:24 pm Link