Forums > General Industry > Question for brilliant photographers

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

There is a (or yet another)  thread active asking why models who say they pose nude don't include nudes in their portfolios.  I was thinking of this as I was browsing local photographers, something I do a couple of times a year just to see who is around.  A question occurred to me:  according to a few (definitely not all!) of these profiles, their work is original, even transformational, stunning, brilliant, dramatic, deeply personal, and, my favorite, "edgy," and so on and so on.  So I wondered why don't they include any of those images in their portfolios?

EDIT:  For those of you who tend toward the literal, jump down to the 10th entry where I comment on a comment and explain myself.

Feb 04 16 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Ivan123 wrote:
There is a (or yet another)  thread active asking why models who say they pose nude don't include nudes in their portfolios.  I was thinking of this as I was browsing local photographers, something I do a couple of times a year just to see who is around.  A question occurred to me:  according to a few (definitely not all!) of these profiles, their work is original, even transformational, stunning, brilliant, dramatic, deeply personal, and, my favorite, "edgy," and so on and so on.  So I wondered why don't they include any of those images in their portfolios?

Those words are subjective.  Nudity is pretty much..being naked.

Feb 04 16 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

It's not my place to judge or critique what others post or write unless they ask me to do so.

Feb 04 16 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Top Gun Digital

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Some people are just a legend in their own mind.

Feb 04 16 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Ivan123 wrote:

lol

Feb 04 16 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

It's not my fault that you cannot see how wonderful my body of work is.

Feb 04 16 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Ivan123 wrote:

Snort.  Giggle.

Feb 04 16 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Ivan123 wrote:

So if I'm understanding you correctly; you (a self-proclaimed amateur photographer) are asking why others (who claim they create brilliant work) don't post those images? 

In other words, you're throwing out a blanket insult to people who might have an inflated sense of self (or are simply trying to market themselves on this site), because YOU think their work isn't good enough to fit the labels they've chosen to describe their efforts. 

Perhaps an inflated sense of self is more common around this site than you might be aware of.

Feb 05 16 01:25 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

I know of many photographers that keep their personal work separated from their professional work. Many will hide their artistic personal works as it could harm their professional business.

Feb 05 16 04:43 am Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

My profile doesn't say much.  I let my mediocre images speak for themselves.

I post my mediocre edgy material in a separate profile.

Feb 05 16 06:37 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
So if I'm understanding you correctly; you (a self-proclaimed amateur photographer) are asking why others (who claim they create brilliant work) don't post those images? 

In other words, you're throwing out a blanket insult to people who might have an inflated sense of self (or are simply trying to market themselves on this site), because YOU think their work isn't good enough to fit the labels they've chosen to describe their efforts. 

Perhaps an inflated sense of self is more common around this site than you might be aware of.

Golly, I think  have been put in my place.  There was a time, long, long ago, when people on the forums had a sense of humor and recognized it in others.  Those times are long gone.  So, let me be explicit this time:  The main motivation for my post was that I get tired of people complaining about models doing this or not doing that in their portfolios or profiles.  One can find a few examples per week on the forums, going back to the beginning of MM.  My point was that, all anyone has to do is page through a few dozen photographers' profiles to see that there is at least as much to complain about there.  I think there are two main reason for this imbalance:  First, on MM there are more photographers looking for models than models looking for photographers (and I mean actively LOOKING, not waiting to have someone contact you) so far fewer people even SEE photographers' profiles so they go unnoticed and therefore unremarked upon.  Many popular models have told me that they get dozens of emails a day while I get...hold on a sec while I check...none.  I suspect that these models are not scouring photographers' profiles looking for people to work with. The result is that photographers' profiles are, in general, seen far less often.  (I often notice that models who post my photos of them get many, MANY more comments than the same photo gets if I post it.)  Second, most photographers on MM are male and most models female and men just feel more confident about complaining.    So my motivation was primarily to defend models in general by calling the kettle black but irony is such an unreliable tool.  (BTW, I know my photography is worthless crap, but I do it simply for myself.)

Feb 05 16 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Ivan123 wrote:

Golly, I think  have been put in my place.  There was a time, long, long ago, when people on the forums had a sense of humor and recognized it in others.  Those times are long gone.  So, let me be explicit this time:  The main motivation for my post was that I get tired of people complaining about models doing this or not doing that in their portfolios or profiles.  One can find a few examples per week on the forums, going back to the beginning of MM.  My point was that, all anyone has to do is page through a few dozen photographers' profiles to see that there is at least as much to complain about there.  I think there are two main reason for this imbalance:  First, on MM there are more photographers looking for models than models looking for photographers (and I mean actively LOOKING, not waiting to have someone contact you) so far fewer people even SEE photographers' profiles so they go unnoticed and therefore unremarked upon.  Many popular models have told me that they get dozens of emails a day while I get...hold on a sec while I check...none.  I suspect that these models are not scouring photographers' profiles looking for people to work with. The result is that photographers' profiles are, in general, seen far less often.  (I often notice that models who post my photos of them get many, MANY more comments than the same photo gets if I post it.)  Second, most photographers on MM are male and most models female and men just feel more confident about complaining.    So my motivation was primarily to defend models in general by calling the kettle black but irony is such an unreliable tool.  (BTW, I know my photography is worthless crap, but I do it simply for myself.)

Well, I thought it was funny as hell!

Feb 05 16 03:22 pm Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Well, I thought it was funny as hell!

I did too.  The rule of thumb is that the quality of a photographers images is inversely proportional to how good he says they are.

I find it quite funny that those who have no problem badgering models over every little thing suddenly get really touchy when that stinky pair of shoes is their size.

Feb 05 16 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

On MM while models do have posts directed at those who don't show up etc., to my mind what is noticeable is the disappearance of a number of professional photographers from the forums.

If you don't like one forum's styles, the MM forums, such as photographer talk and digital retouching are good places still. As for your critique of those who describe themselves in inflated ways, ego is important, particularly, if you're going to have the nerve to charge people rather than work for "exposure" and "credit."

One MM member called me and offered me the glory of shooting her wearing her friends jewelry and it would be sold this jewelry on the internet and I could have "credit." That was a few years ago.

She calls me still but now expects a price quote. Southern California is a such a tough market for commercial photographers. And you need confidence to survive, an intense belief in your abilities.

I realize that you want to rebuke photographers for the error of their ways but those posts don't really help you grow. They past the time but that is about it.

Feb 05 16 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Lieza Nova wrote:
...The rule of thumb is that the quality of a photographers images is inversely proportional to how good he says they are...

My images are the absolute worst - pure garbage!  smile

Feb 05 16 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Top Gun Digital wrote:
Some people are just a legend in their own mind.

^^^   THIS.   ^^^

Feb 05 16 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Caitin Bre  wrote:
I know of many photographers that keep their personal work separated from their professional work. Many will hide their artistic personal works as it could harm their professional business.

I don't think enough people understand the truth in this statement.

Feb 05 16 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

What is your port here for?  To attract potential models?  To attract potential Newbie models?   In my experience, new models want to see good quality, conventional work; it's safe and reassuring.  But they say that they want to shoot sexy, edgy, trendy word of the year pics.  If you have a port of your edgy work, many/most will make a snap judgement that you can't shoot what they are interested in.  If you have 10 pictures in 10 different styles, you look like you're lost.  It's easy for others to assume that you don't have a style.
    It seems most productive to have a conventional port to connect with new models.  Who is your audience?  What is their level of appreciation for creative/edgy work?  Are your images showcasing the photographers skill, the editing skill or the model? 

TLDR ??  Models probably want to see a port that showcases the model, not the photographer's creative lighting or editing skills.

Feb 05 16 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Bryson Photography

Hollywood, Florida, US

Ivan123 wrote:
There is a (or yet another)  thread active asking why models who say they pose nude don't include nudes in their portfolios.

Probably because they pose nude under a pseudonym.

Feb 05 16 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Dexellery Photo

Redondo Beach, California, US

Caitin Bre  wrote:

This is one hundred percent true.  I happen to work with a lot of very conservative clients who do business with clients who are even more conservative.  It's amazing how much you sometimes have to shoot to make sure you have options when they approve the model's swimwear themselves, but then later suddenly decide it is "not family friendly enough."

Seriously, many photographers & filmmakers have to keep their creative projects completely separate from their professional work.  And in many cases, if you do more than one type of work you have to keep those all separate too since some people have trouble imagining that you could do more than one style well.

Feb 05 16 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I would just as soon a model interested in doing nudes just post three nude images, one from the front, the side, and the rear all standing just to give an exact view of what their body looks like. I don't need to see what they have done with other photographers but rather get an idea of what I might would want to include them in. And I would like for the images to be current. They don't have to be perfect at all. I just like to know ahead of time how they are built so I can be thinking of how to work with them when the time comes.

Feb 08 16 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Magus

El Cajon, California, US

Ivan123 wrote:

Ivan, I think I made the last complaint about Nude Models without Nudes in their port. My reasoning is: It’s a PORT-folio as in a portal to what you do. I want to know what a model looks like nude. Clothes can hide a multitude of things. When you are nude you can’t hide a flabby belly (trust me I know, mirrors are so unkind). I think if I am going to hire them I need to know what I am getting. I guess there are all different kind of considerations that I never thought about but learned via that thread.

Feb 10 16 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Lisbon, Lisboa e Vale do Tejo, Portugal

Gary Melton wrote:

My images are the absolute worst - pure garbage!  smile

the rule of thumb doesn't apply to you big_smile lollol

Feb 10 16 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

I don't have naked pictures in my port. Why bother when I can look at your(s)?

Feb 10 16 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Dark Magus wrote:
Ivan, I think I made the last complaint about Nude Models without Nudes in their port. My reasoning is: It’s a PORT-folio as in a portal to what you do. I want to know what a model looks like nude. Clothes can hide a multitude of things. When you are nude you can’t hide a flabby belly (trust me I know, mirrors are so unkind). I think if I am going to hire them I need to know what I am getting. I guess there are all different kind of considerations that I never thought about but learned via that thread.

With this I agree.  I have found, though, that most models who are willing to pose nude, even if they do not post nudes in their portfolios, will check out the photographer's work and, if the work shows serious intent, will then send examples of nudes directly through email.  Even that is not a perfectly reliable measure of what you will see on the day but usually works.

Feb 11 16 08:44 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I make no claim regarding the quality of my work, nor do I promote myself as an "ARTIST".

It hardly matters if members believe they are producing works of art, what makes or breaks careers is if publishers, curators, gallery owners and collectors think it is.

Feb 11 16 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

the lonely photographer wrote:
I don't have naked pictures in my port. Why bother when I can look at your(s)?

I enjoy photographing nude models.  You just enjoy looking at nude models.   big_smile

Feb 11 16 10:24 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

I'm naked under my clothes. Not much to do with the thread, but it does display my brilliance, which is often overlooked smile

Feb 11 16 10:27 am Link

Photographer

SOP photo

Hannibal, Missouri, US

Mike Collins wrote:

Those words are subjective.  Nudity is pretty much..being naked.

Feb 12 16 10:50 am Link

Photographer

E P O N A

Copiague, New York, US

Lieza Nova wrote:

I did too.  The rule of thumb is that the quality of a photographers images is inversely proportional to how good he says they are.

I tend to agree.  There's so many people who don't think they're very good, and it's like....are we looking at the same thing here?!

Feb 13 16 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Juicylicious

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm just a normal GWC. I just put in my worst photographs here on MM. I kept my most unnormal photographs in a vault so one day I might sell some large format prints in an art gallery and I don't want people to say they have seen my photos/arts somewhere in a seedy corner of internet.

Feb 13 16 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

To be honest I see the same thing in quite a few model's portfolios.  They talk about wanting their images to "tell a story" or be "unique" and "edgy".  Then when you look at what they have in their portfolio is no where near where they see themselves.

So there are plenty of inflated egos to go around

Feb 14 16 04:03 am Link