Forums > General Industry > Train Track Sessions are Illegal? UPDATED!

Photographer

DeanLautermilch

Sebring, Florida, US

Apr 03 16 07:53 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Roughly every three hours in the U.S., a person or vehicle is hit by a train.

2920 persons each year? How many suicides/suicide attempts are among these?

Apr 03 16 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Yet one more reason to never shoot on train tracks

Apr 03 16 12:17 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The writer makes an anti-train track blog post that is littered with his own photos of girls on train tracks? K...

Apr 03 16 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
The writer makes an anti-train track blog post that is littered with his own photos of girls on train tracks? K...

QFT.

Apr 03 16 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Yes, shooting on train tracks without the express permission of the railroad (which is all but impossible to get, btw) is indeed illegal. The fines for getting caught doing it run into the thousands of dollars PER PERSON, meaning if you are the shooter, take one assistant (or ten) and one model (or ten), each of you, all of you whether 3 or 30, will be charged and fined separately and each several thousand dollars. The railroad police do not mess around, and yes, there are police separate from and unconnected to local, state, of federal police. And they have the power to arrest you, and haul you off to jail.

In my little town of 60,000 people, there is a railroad tressell over the river from which someone gets killed every 2 or 3 years. There are signs, and yet people insist on going out onto that tressell, and being a mile long, there's no outrunning a train if you are in the middle when one comes along. So, yes, people get killed every year nationwide, which is why the railroads are very adamant in enforcing the no-tresspassing laws.

The moral of the story is simple: STAY THE HELL OFF THE TRAIN TRACKS. ALL OF THEM. WHEREVER THEY ARE.

Apr 03 16 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

V-Flat Travis

Capitol Heights, Maryland, US

Apr 03 16 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

DeanLautermilch wrote:
http://bonellphotography.blogspot.com/2 … legal.html

So what ISN'T illegal??
If you shoot in your studio, that's legal. Pretty much everything else is illegal. I'm willing to bet that 90% of photography is done by trespassing. On any shoot, the second you step off the sidewalk you are trespassing and doing a gorilla shoot. How about a gorilla nude shoot, yea, that will get you in hot water way faster than being on the tracks. Just because you're in the woods doesn't make it legal.
Are the tracks cliché? How cliché or creative is a brick wall, or a stucco wall? How about a drywall, wall?
We can discuss the letter of the law till we're blue in the face and the next day we are all gonna be out there breaking it!!

Apr 04 16 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

John Silva Photography wrote:
On any shoot, the second you step off the sidewalk you are trespassing and doing a gorilla shoot. How about a gorilla nude shoot, yea, that will get you in hot water way faster than being on the tracks.

I don't see how this could get one in trouble with anyone but PETA and maybe the model's chest-thumping mate.
https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/sites/www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/files/styles/content-portrait/public/vla-below-the-belt-gorilla-cropped.jpg?itok=o1A3u8Mc

FTR, it's "guerilla," not "gorilla." They are two very different things.

On any shoot, the second you step off the sidewalk, get permission to shoot and you're good. What others have said, though, is it's pretty much impossible to get permission from a railroad company. And most places where you step off the sidewalk for a shoot, you don't put your group at risk of their lives. Nothing's quite so hot-water as getting someone killed.

Apr 04 16 02:19 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

How does everyone not know this? Especially after the Midnight Rider movie death and injuries.

Apr 04 16 06:50 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Only illegal if you get caught or die

Apr 04 16 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Personality Imaging

Hoover, Alabama, US

You do need to be careful because trains come like a bat out of hell and if you're on a trestle or something you're screwed.

Apr 04 16 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Tim Summa

San Antonio, Texas, US

TomFRohwer wrote:

Rail system in Germany? I bet your rail system has a few.

Apr 04 16 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

I never understood why in hell anyone would wanna do this on the tracks instead of a flower field or some crusty industrial zone on weekends when they are all closed.

Apr 04 16 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

J-walking and speeding are also illegal and in their totality are related to many fatalities every year.  There's a train track between my building and one of the parking lots, people illegally cross regularly.  The pedestrian crossing isn't convenient and has no lights or gate anyways.  They sent the train cops out one day, which dissuaded people for about a week.

Apr 04 16 10:59 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

The F-Stop wrote:

Funny how suddenly so many here are a goody two shoes!
Like much of life, photographers are in two camps....., those that will ONLY shoot on the trestles and those that won't get on them!!! LoL

Apr 04 16 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This looks like a good one to shoot on:

https://images.singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/featured/2013/10/railway-main.jpg

Apr 04 16 12:12 pm Link

Model

Michelle Genevieve

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

Now if we can just make wrapping models in caution tape illegal . . .

Apr 04 16 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Michelle Genevieve wrote:

Michelle, unwrap at your own risk....., Models are damned dangerous!!!! LoL    loL

Apr 04 16 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Michelle Genevieve wrote:

With a gas mask, and a Fur Hat.

Apr 04 16 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Apr 04 16 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Isis22 wrote:
How does everyone not know this? Especially after the Midnight Rider movie death and injuries.

You would think, but you'd be wrong.

Stupidity is the only resource the human race has in truly unlimited abundance. But plain ignorance is a very close second.

Don't get me started on ignorant AND stupid.

Apr 04 16 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

Does all of this apply to abandoned rail lines, I wonder? There are thousands of miles of old, abandoned track in North America alone.

Apr 04 16 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

https://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/who_cares_03.gif

Apr 04 16 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Park Avenue Pin-ups

Waverly, New York, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
This looks like a good one to shoot on:

https://images.singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/featured/2013/10/railway-main.jpg

There's room to stand on the rail while the train goes by, I don't see a problem here.

Apr 04 16 03:19 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

TomFRohwer wrote:

A former running coach of mine was a train conductor before he retired and according to him, suicide by train is a burden conductors experience...

Jen

Apr 04 16 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

highStrangeness wrote:
Does all of this apply to abandoned rail lines, I wonder? There are thousands of miles of old, abandoned track in North America alone.

Yes, yes, it does. I would highly recommend you follow some of the links in the article linked by the OP. Believe it or not, every once in a while otherwise seemingly abandoned lines sometimes do see a train, and in any case, even abandoned lines are on private property, not public right-of-way.

Apr 04 16 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Park Avenue Pin-ups wrote:

There's room to stand on the rail while the train goes by, I don't see a problem here.

LoL
The ballerinas here could get on point and even get a couple of leaps in on the top of that I-beam as the train goes by!
The gymnast and wrestlers here could do a handstand or practice their sit-outs on the top of that I-beam as the train went by!!
The aerialist could swing from the rafters under the trestle as the train went by!!!
Just my guess, but the photographers would experience a 95% attrition rate!!!! LoL   LoL

Apr 04 16 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

shooting without some form of trespass or infraction is boring.

Apr 05 16 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

I don't see how this could get one in trouble with anyone but PETA and maybe the model's chest-thumping mate.
https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/sites/www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/files/styles/content-portrait/public/vla-below-the-belt-gorilla-cropped.jpg?itok=o1A3u8Mc

FTR, it's "guerilla," not "gorilla." They are two very different things.

On any shoot, the second you step off the sidewalk, get permission to shoot and you're good. What others have said, though, is it's pretty much impossible to get permission from a railroad company. And most places where you step off the sidewalk for a shoot, you don't put your group at risk of their lives. Nothing's quite so hot-water as getting someone killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyG0G96UB6k

Apr 05 16 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Funny how suddenly so many here are a goody two shoes!
Like much of life, photographers are in two camps....., those that will ONLY shoot on the trestles and those that won't get on them!!! LoL

Or idiots and non-idiots.  Guess which camp you fall into...

Apr 05 16 09:01 am Link

Photographer

DeanLautermilch

Sebring, Florida, US

I have a lot of images in this group

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2852835@N22/pool/

I guess the group will be closed and all images deleted.

Apr 05 16 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

TheNormGallerys

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

two photos, and the amount of rust on the rails show that no train on them in years!

Apr 05 16 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:

LoL.      LoL.     Looks like someone got their TOE stepped on!!!!   LoL.     LoL

Apr 05 16 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:

LoL.      LoL.     Looks like someone got their TOE stepped on!!!!   LoL.     LoL

Not at all.

Apr 05 16 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

The F-Stop wrote:

Don't quote me, but if you're dead, it is unlikely they are going to arrest you.

Apr 05 16 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Years ago, I had the perfect set up for train track shots.

It was a short segment of abandoned line--- maybe 250 yards. There was no track connected to either end, it was part of an old industrial site, and was part of the old switching yard- the track made a sharp bend at each end, leaving the end out of sight. The area had been deeded to the city as part of a future park, so was public property, no fences...

They never built the park, but the whole area is now under a huge housing tract. Just as well, I got tired pretty quick of track shots smile

Apr 05 16 09:15 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TheNormGallerys wrote:

two photos, and the amount of rust on the rails show that no train on them in years!

You leave metal outside for a week and it rusts...and it's not exactly like we take good care of our shit here in North America, rust/wear/age means nothing.

And...I dunno...if you actually read the blog post (or any of the replies here) he goes on about how it literally doesn't matter if a piece of rail has been decommissioned, it's still private property, it's still illegal, and it even still might wind up with the rare vehicle on it so....????

Apr 05 16 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Tragic. Photographers will be left with freeway median strips and small airport runways.

Apr 06 16 04:02 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

It's illegal because the railroad owns the right of way and you are trespassing. The reason there are so many deaths is not because people are trying to hurt themselves, it's because people are stupid.  Either because they don't watch for oncoming trains and get hit like that movie crew in Georgia or because they don't understand about the suction caused by a moving train. They walk close to the train because it's cool to do or it's a thrill and the suction carries them under the train.

Apr 08 16 04:19 am Link