Forums > Model Colloquy > question for traveling models who message photogs

Photographer

3 Leaves Left Imaging

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

My two cents is that I like when traveling models let me know they are in the area, some are really great and I often work with them or at least tell them that I can't work with you this time but please let me know when you are back again. A lot of times traveling models tend to be more reliable since this is their primary way of making a living. If I get included in a generic mass email I understand it  because I am friends with a few models and I know how much work goes on to be successful at modeling. It's not just the hrs in front of the camera but the hrs also spent trying to get work. Sorry if I went off topic a little. smile

May 07 16 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Maxfield Photography

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

In the compensation section of my profile, I explain in detail (in case anyone really wants to know) why traveling models need not contact me for work, I warn them not to waste their daily allotment of PMs, but most of them do it anyway. It's hard to say if the message is having any effect because I would never know if someone actually read it and heeded my advice. But it is obvious to me that the ones who do contact me didn't take the time, and didn't do me the courtesy of reading my profile, so I ignore them. (Well, sometimes they get a lecture from me first.)

I think it's like the guy at the local bar who asks out ten women in a row, back-to-back, gets shot down by nine of them, but ends up going home with the tenth. Traveling models play the numbers. Some even play the numbers to the extent that they'll announce they are traveling to a certain city, and you may book a shoot with them, but if they get more offers in another town, they'll go there instead. Not all of them do that, but some definitely do. I guess they're just following the money, but that behavior is not particularly professional in my opinion. As a musician, if I did the same, I'd soon be out of work because I'd burned so many bridges.

May 07 16 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Hi_Spade Photography

Florence, South Carolina, US

Box Top Photography wrote:
My two cents is that I like when traveling models let me know they are in the area, some are really great and I often work with them or at least tell them that I can't work with you this time but please let me know when you are back again. A lot of times traveling models tend to be more reliable since this is their primary way of making a living. If I get included in a generic mass email I understand it  because I am friends with a few models and I know how much work goes on to be successful at modeling. It's not just the hrs in front of the camera but the hrs also spent trying to get work. Sorry if I went off topic a little. smile

THIS.

May 07 16 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Sorry, but what I heard in the OP was...
...  A complaint ("Why me?")
...  A derogatory attitude towards models asking to get paid ("eleventy billion dollars")
...  An implied presumption that traveling models shouldn't seek paid jobs.

You don't want to call it a rant?  That's fine, but OP's attitude was not constructive or favorable towards models.

You want to think he's asking an honest question?  Sure, okay, but I gave an honest answer (many nude models also take on clothed work).

You can draw your own conclusions, but to me, I see a photographer with an unreasonable attitude towards models airing yet another complaint on these forums.

Finally, I still wonder why this topic is thread-worthy?  Sounds like just another photographer putting down models who are trying to find paying jobs.

One wonders:  where are those folks who think it is rude & "unprofessional" if/when someone fails to reply to a personal e-mail.  I wonder what the OP's reply to the "eleventy billion dollar" request is?

May 07 16 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Looknsee Photography wrote:
You don't want to call it a rant?  That's fine, but ...*snip*

I don't call it a rant, because it isn't one. I don't call my car a pumpkin for the same reason.

Just so you know for future reference, here's a rant... I'll leave it to you to try and see why one is, and one obviously is not, a rant, I think the differences are obvious and clear.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rant/comments/ … d_and_just

Additionally...
rant
verb
speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way.
"she was still ranting on about the unfairness of it all"

I think you can agree, that's not what happened here.

May 07 16 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

We often 'hear' what we believe ourselves and sometimes not was intended.   I don't think the OP stated or implied or hinted or whispered traveling models don't deserve to be paid.   Another member accused me of implying as much.   That was also a lie.   Nor has the OP made some unhinged rant or insulted models and boy its great the White Knight patrol is on the case.    Since women folk lack the gumption to take on us meanies.   Models are reaching out to those they see on forums.   Perhaps they see other known MM models in his portfolio.   The OP comes off as a friendly slightly irrelevant member who from what I can tell models  like and who some have stayed with.    Perhaps those who are critical are jealous.

Ahhhh... but the forum police want to make the laws over what should be said or posted.   They're posts are always on point and worthy.   Hypocrite is a word that comes to mind.

May 07 16 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

I don't wish to join the pissing contest but they do ask for eleventy billion dollars.

I've started doing Web searches on "traveling models" and it's amazing how many of them star in adult videos.

Well, it takes all types to make up this world but it's a lot cheaper to go to Nevada where it's legal.

May 08 16 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

DespayreFX wrote:
I don't call it a rant, because it isn't one.

That's your opinion & not a fact.  Seems to me, the OP is a rant and as such it meets the criteria of the definition you posted.

Regardless, it contains mean-spirited & derogatory attitudes against models who are seeking paid work.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

P.S.  Your "car -- pumpkin" analogy is a fallacious argument.

May 08 16 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Dear People who are discussing my intentions for making this thread,

My intention was to gain insight on the process traveling models use when it comes to soliciting work. The only people qualified to answer the question are traveling models.

That's why I posted it in this section.
If I wanted to rant, I would've posted an actual rant in off topic. This is not a rant. Its a question.
I know how to use this forum.

I appreciate the two models who have replied in this thread. They both have experience in soliciting work, traveling,  and posing nude.
All relevant.
Of the two models who replied I have worked with one multiple times, the other model who replied knows I would do backflips to book her, and host her if she ever came to my town. Hell, I'd even pay for the plane ticket. We've been posting, and exchanging messages in this forum for years together.

I also politely asked the model who messaged me if something stood out about my profile that influenced her decision to choose to message me. She replied that; she had seen I had worked with other traveling models.

After her reply and the replies from models here in this thread my curiosity about the process traveling models use to solicit work has been satisfied. Thank you.

I appreciate the Photographers who with good intentions attempted to offer insight based on their experience. Unfortunately this thread some how became a discussion about my character and motivations, and I must say I do feel somewhat  personally attacked in regards to someone trying to diminish my good character.

Of course I have nothing against traveling models, people earning money, or nude photography. Given my history, and relationships with so many members of this site, to suggest otherwise would be pure ignorance.

After the sad direction this thread has taken I would like to offer a suggestion to my fellow Photographers:

When you see a thread in the Model section, asking Models a question: Just don't reply.
Sure you may have good intentions and some experience on the subject but the question was not directed at you. If you really can't resist, maybe send a PM expressing your knowledge on the subject. Again, just a suggestion.

Yes, this is the internet and everyone is an expert and allowed to make an ass of themselves but as far as this forum is concerned:
Let's not lose our liberty to post in the Model Colloquy by turning threads into pissing contests.

May 08 16 09:13 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

DespayreFX wrote:
I don't call it a rant, because it isn't one.

That's your opinion & not a fact.  Seems to me, the OP is a rant and as such it meets the criteria of the definition you posted.

What?! It is NOT my opinion, unless you consider the dictionary to be just "an opinion piece", otherwise, it's something we call a fact. You're welcome to ignore facts, ppl do it all the time on the internet, but I've given you the accepted worldwide definition of "rant", and you can clearly see this doesn't qualify. If you choose to ignore the meaning of words, that's up to you, but you denying their meaning doesn't change it.

You may need to more carefully read the definition again, as the OP is clearly NOT "shouting", "at length", "wild", or even "impassioned" in his post, and if you rule all those things out, it's not a rant. It really is just that simple. Surprising mistake since I even gave a link to a perfectly good rant so you could see the difference.

Sidenote:
Please remember to drive your pumpkin slowly through school zones. smile
I've read the definition of car (and pumpkin!), but I feel those are just someone's opinions, and I should be allowed to call things whatever I want, regardless of the facts. Doesn't sound fallacious to me, in fact, sounds like an illuminating example of what happens when people choose to use the wrong words to describe something, deliberately.

May 08 16 09:49 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

WisconsinArt wrote:
I don't wish to join the pissing contest but they do ask for eleventy billion dollars.

I've started doing Web searches on "traveling models" and it's amazing how many of them star in adult videos.

Well, it takes all types to make up this world but it's a lot cheaper to go to Nevada where it's legal.

Most aren't trying to charge video rates for still photography, so Im not sure what one has to do with the other, nor what modelling or acting has to do with nevadas prostitution laws.

May 08 16 10:57 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

If nude models have to hustle so hard and NOT cherry pick, what's the draw?
To travel?

Isn't it easier to get *insert any other job here*, make enough money to travel anyway and shoot with the people you want to?

May 08 16 12:07 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jules NYC wrote:
If nude models have to hustle so hard and NOT cherry pick, what's the draw?
To travel?

Isn't it easier to get *insert any other job here*, make enough money to travel anyway and shoot with the people you want to?

if you feel like using your extremely limited vacation time at your "real job" to blow your savings and travel somewhere to get a pretty picture or two, sure, that works, but there's nothing easier about then working two jobs. Lining up decent trade, showing up, and doing the work is still work. I personally like to spend my vacation time not working or spending all my money.

May 08 16 01:31 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
if you feel like using your extremely limited vacation time at your "real job" to blow your savings and travel somewhere to get a pretty picture or two, sure, that works, but there's nothing easier about then working two jobs. Lining up decent trade, showing up, and doing the work is still work. I personally like to spend my vacation time not working or spending all my money.

I haven't had a job with strict vacation benefits in a long time.
I'd just figure if the job that pays the most amount of money (be this the 'real' job?) gives you the flexibility to travel, that sounds better than taking photos with photographers that aren't so great (if that is the case?).

To each their own but I do understand that modeling and travelling can have benefits for some just the same as making money any which way for others (including modeling).

Last time I took a vacation, I went to San Fran again, but incorporated my modeling for the articles I was writing for the magazine.  I planned it out like any travelling model but I went on vacation for personal reasons whether I worked or didn't.

My brother has a 'real job' and he got to travel all over Europe showing off the car he was a part of designing. 
That seemed pretty cool, a 'working vacation'.

May 08 16 02:05 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

WisconsinArt wrote:

Back 5 or 6 years ago, I was consistently getting work shooting niche fetish and video work, so I was actually able to do more TF* shoots in figural arts. I created much of my best artistic work during the years I was shooting "adult" videos.

I worked with a lot of photographers for trade back then, because the videos paid well and I didn't have to hustle the glamour/art modeling so much. I was able to do that for fun, and shoot vids for actual cash.

When the Clips4Sale market (especially for "alt" models) died down, there was less of that work around - and then I had to go back to being really picky about getting paid for photoshoots. I never even asked for half the amount of compensation for a photoshoot that I requested for an erotic video. If someone wanted to shoot art nudes, I'd generally quote half what I expected to make for more explicit work. So, 50% cheaper, on average.

It's funny to me when photographers talk about "nude models shooting teh pr0nz" -- like they're revealing some deep, dark, hidden secret. I talked about it openly, even back when I was shooting it.

May 08 16 02:12 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Jules NYC wrote:
My brother has a 'real job' and he got to travel all over Europe showing off the car he was a part of designing. 
That seemed pretty cool, a 'working vacation'.

This is the exception, not the rule.

In my experience (and I worked as a traveling model, and at other times in mainstream "normal jobs") accepting a normal job means accepting that you will stay in one place, at home. That you will not travel, or go anywhere. You go to your job every day, punch a clock and have to look at the same view, out the same windows, at least five days per week - day after day and year after year.

For me, it has meant needing to stay put for a year at a time - at least. The mainstream job I had before the one I am currently working, it was hell to get a day off. I wanted to go see my parents, because I hadn't seen them in over a year, and my boss gave me grief for it for weeks. I get paid vacation where I'm at now, but I have to put in a year of not calling out (except for sick leave with doctor's note), and an excellent end of the year review, before I'll have access to my vacation pay.

You can either travel, or you can stay put. It's EXTREMELY rare for "average" people to have jobs that allow both.

May 08 16 02:21 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Koryn wrote:

In my experience (and I worked as a traveling model, and at other times in mainstream "normal jobs") accepting a normal job means accepting that you will stay in one place, at home. That you will not travel, or go anywhere. You go to your job every day, punch a clock and have to look at the same view, out the same windows, at least five days per week - day after day and year after year.

For me, it has meant needing to stay put for a year at a time - at least. The mainstream job I had before the one I am currently working, it was hell to get a day off. I wanted to go see my parents, because I hadn't seen them in over a year, and my boss gave me grief for it for weeks. I get paid vacation where I'm at now, but I have to put in a year of not calling out (except for sick leave with doctor's note), and an excellent end of the year review, before I'll have access to my vacation pay.

You can either travel, or you can stay put. It's EXTREMELY rare for "average" people to have jobs that allow both.

I consider a 'real job' a job that you make decent money at.
If you make enough money, you can afford your own benefits & vacation.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind 2/3 weeks vacation a year if I was getting full benefits at a company I really want to work for.

I remember back in Hollywood, CA when I was working freelance, working 12 to 16 hour days... sometimes all nighters and definitely considered that a 'real job'.

I never in my life punched in a time clock.

I'll agree it's not often a person can travel and have a job with all the amenities at the same time.
At the end of the day, whatever you're doing, if you're making enough money you can afford your own health insurance, retirement benefits, nest egg and vacation.

Having the TIME to do it is the challenge.

I remember a free vacation I got when working in Sales.
It was awesome and didn't feel like work at all.

They took us here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZip1iqmvCw
http://www.theboulders.com/gallery/

Just a 'regular' real? job.
I still modeled when I had it.

The girl I recently modeled with is going to be a lawyer.  I bet she will still model with her 'regular' job too. Somehow I bet she'll be able to travel any time she'd like.

May 08 16 02:31 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Jules NYC wrote:
The girl I recently modeled with is going to be a lawyer.  I bet she will still model with her 'regular' job too. Somehow I bet she'll be able to travel any time she'd like.

How many individuals, currently working 40+ hours per week, and living on around $20,000 per year, do you think are going to be able to afford law school?

Also take into account that if they're over 25, they probably have at least one child to support.

May 08 16 03:46 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Koryn wrote:
How many individuals, currently working 40+ hours per week, and living on around $20,000 per year, do you think are going to be able to afford law school?

Also take into account that if they're over 25, they probably have at least one child to support.

Not many people with law school plans are in that situation Koryn.
Then again, MANY people with VERY little means have done that, or became doctors, financial mavens, etc.

As for a child to support, some plan it, most don't.

My model friend was wondering how she was going to pay 200K back.
Personally you make it back when you're in the field.

May 08 16 03:58 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Koryn wrote:

^^ full stop.

May 08 16 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm happy to get an inquiry from a travelling model. If I think there is any value offered by the model, I will try to arrange the shoot. I've shot with many already and love the experience and diversity they bring. I can say No Thanks if I'm not interested. I find travels models a great deal because they come prepare, know how to travel, conduct business well. If I have time, I usually offer as much hospitality as I can to make their trip enjoyable.

May 08 16 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

John Carman

I think you have your answer. These models throw out as wide a net as possible in hopes of attracting paid gigs. i get these messages from the same models who are contacting you, I'm sure.

May 08 16 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

John Carman wrote:
I think you have your answer. These models throw out as wide a net as possible in hopes of attracting paid gigs. i get these messages from the same models who are contacting you, I'm sure.

for shizzle!
we've worked with a lot of the same models too.
your work is always gorgeous and inspiring.
haven't seen you post in the forums in a while.
hope you've been well. smile

May 08 16 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

Most aren't trying to charge video rates for still photography, so Im not sure what one has to do with the other, nor what modelling or acting has to do with nevadas prostitution laws.

You have yet to learn many things of life, young Grasshopper.

May 09 16 03:59 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Dear People who are discussing my intentions for making this thread,

My intention was to gain insight on the process traveling models use when it comes to soliciting work.

I'll give you "eleventy billion' reasons why I don't buy that.

May 09 16 07:57 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Being a travelling model living on limited means sounds like a bunch of fun but unless you expect to be marketable in that capacity the rest of your life, seems like a temporary lifestyle choice... if you want to prepare for a future.

Living on 20K doesn't seem lucrative as a single person, forget adding another member to it.

May 09 16 08:00 am Link

Model

Koryn

Jules NYC wrote:
Being a travelling model living on limited means sounds like a bunch of fun but unless you expect to be marketable in that capacity the rest of your life, seems like a temporary lifestyle choice... if you want to prepare for a future.

Living on 20K doesn't seem lucrative as a single person, forget adding another member to it.

20k is more than I ever made at "white collar" office jobs. My current job is the most money I've ever made at a mainstream job, and it's about $20,000 before taxes. I live on far less than that in reality.

I know a few young single men who earn more than $20,000 annually - in the 30-35k range. They all work in higher end tech jobs, and basically are all people who just sort of was born coding, or started writing software programs when they were in their teens. In other words, born programmers. My ex went back to school to work in the tech industry, and is in his first year or so of software developing; he makes around $20,000 annually now. Among women in my own age range I know, who have 2-4 years of college, none have jobs earning more than about $20-25k, except they are all raising children as single moms on that income. The exception is my friend who has a Master's degree and has been a licensed therapist for several years. She had no children and earns about $35,000 per year. She acknowledges her own luck and privilege to have (A) had a family who helped support her while she pursued the advanced degree, and (B) to even have a job that pays 35K. Among my peers that's considered very good money. A genuine luxury life if you are from the Millennial generation.

May 09 16 10:00 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Koryn wrote:
20k is more than I ever made at "white collar" office jobs. My current job is the most money I've ever made at a mainstream job, and it's about $20,000 before taxes. I live on far less than that in reality.

I know a few young single men who earn more than $20,000 annually - in the 30-35k range. They all work in higher end tech jobs, and basically are all people who just sort of was born coding, or started writing software programs when they were in their teens. In other words, born programmers. My ex went back to school to work in the tech industry, and is in his first year or so of software developing; he makes around $20,000 annually now. Among women in my own age range I know, who have 2-4 years of college, none have jobs earning more than about $20-25k, except they are all raising children as single moms on that income. The exception is my friend who has a Master's degree and has been a licensed therapist for several years. She had no children and earns about $35,000 per year. She acknowledges her own luck and privilege to have (A) had a family who helped support her while she pursued the advanced degree, and (B) to even have a job that pays 35K. Among my peers that's considered very good money. A genuine luxury life if you are from the Millennial generation.

Wow.

I've been raised in an element where making good money is commonplace.  It's REALLY not hard to make 30K a year and that is really low to me.  With $15 an hour being the new minimum wage in a couple states, it's better to strive higher.

There are plenty of occupations where making 30K or more is not a stretch.  I guess if you feel that you can strive for more, you do.  It's not necessarily a luxury, it's what you want in life (if you want it for YOU because no one does this for you).

For some reason, I think you should listen to this Koryn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJo95t0bZbM

There's a group mentality thinking if you believe what you can or are making is 'normal' for you.  If everyone around you is in the same situation and making more money is foreign to you, it's seems somewhat unreachable.  When you start hanging around people who are actively doing *this and that*, your reality might shift to a better place.

It really comes to an individual choice what you want in life.

May 09 16 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Jules NYC wrote:

I'm amazed there are as many models who do it as there are.  It seems like a very challenging business model and difficult lifestyle to me.  Compared to local talent, traveling models have high over head and minimal hands on earning hours.

I think the point behind the OP's post is that just because traveling models have higher expenses they need to cover, doesn't mean he has any reason to pay them more than he can get local talent for.  It must be hard to overcome this as a traveling model and my congrats to those who are able to make it work.

May 09 16 10:20 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:

I'm amazed there are as many models who do it as there are.  It seems like a very challenging business model and difficult lifestyle to me.  Compared to local talent, traveling models have high over head and minimal hands on earning hours.

I think the point behind the OP's post is that just because traveling models have higher expenses they need to cover, doesn't mean he has any reason to pay them more than he can get local talent for.  It must be hard to overcome this as a traveling model and my congrats to those who are able to make it work.

I could imagine it IS hard.  I guess it's not spam to the model, the 'Dartboard theory' to get gigs.  Seems like a lot of work for what you get back; to each their own.

May 09 16 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Not to dig at the OP but there is a dismissive attitude toward other photographers on this site.   A haughtiness.   How dare models ask me about paid work.   Go ask a GWC.   Can't they see how wonderful I am.   Perhaps being asked is a bit of a blow to the ego.   News for all of us.   Models here would ask Irving Penn or Avedon to pay them.

May 09 16 11:38 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

WisconsinArt wrote:

You have yet to learn many things of life, young Grasshopper.

neutral Oh, please help me.

May 09 16 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I think the approach I have appreciated with traveling models soliciting me to pay them is this...

Anything that reeks of spam and an e mail blast I reject the offer and often block that model.  It is clear she does not know my work or has even read my profile.

N the other hand a few very bright and enterprising traveling models have made their solicitations...

1. Personalized

2. Have told me they like my images and then posted one or two that stood out to them and why they liked them.

3.  They made it very clear that they were willing to negotiate on their fee if I needed them to.

I have always appreciated this approach and truthfully I have hired all three of those traveling models.

May 09 16 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

NC Art Photos

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Why me?
Every so often I get a spam message from a traveling model that goes something like:

[i]
Theres plenty of Photographers in this market and I cant imagine that the Model spammed all of us, even if she had unlimited messages.
So my question is why would a traveling nude model bother with sending me a message?

I don't have any nude images in my portfolio, or any lingerie images typical of the kind of content most traveling Models shoot, so why would they think I'd start shooting that content with them and pay them for it?

Hopefully my work shows that I am experienced, and my profile should convey that I've had plenty of experience and no shortage of collaborations with other members.

If I was a traveling nude model, I'd probably market myself to harmless GWCs.

I get this all the time.  Even though if you look at my profile, you can see that I don't pay models unless I have a client paying me to hire a model to shoot for a project.  The odds that I'd have a project like that for a model who just so happens to be traveling in my area on that day and time is ridiculous. 

I might be able to hire a particular model who doesn't live in my city to pose for me if my client liked that model enough to pay them to travel here, or for me to travel there.  I've had one client who wants me to shoot some catalog work with a fantastic model who used to live in SC, then NM, and now TX, but it never seems to work out.

May 09 16 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

crx studios

Los Angeles, California, US

I'll give you "eleventy billion' reasons why I don't buy that.

There are two ways to take in new information. You can either say to yourself:

"Ok - I’m not 100% sure where the author is coming from, but I’m going to assume the BEST about their intentions, and I’m going to constructively contribute to the dialog (if in fact I have anything relevant to contribute to the topic)."

- OR -

"I’m going to assume the WORST about the author's intentions and attack their character."

When too many people take the latter approach, the forums cease being a safe community where we can learn about each other via good-faith communication.

Instead they become a snarky, sarcastic place defined by the people who can’t wait for the next opportunity to express their outrage, outrage based solely on their cynical (and usually inaccurate) assumptions about the OP's motivations.

May 09 16 02:42 pm Link

Model

Jen B E

Hesperia, California, US

Risen Phoenix Photo wrote:

Though I understand you don't want to be bothered but.....
So are you saying everyone who shoots nudes are GWCs ?  ...

It sounds more like he is asking why nude models are asking him to pay them just because they are soliciting him for paid work. Generally, soliciting for paid work may work better on a GWC, not a non nude photographer.

Also, Risen Phoenix, I've said this several times in reply to some of your posts, not everyone who shoots nude is a GWC nor are they considered one. Likely though, the GWC market is where some travelling models can solicit for money. Again, this is not an insult to those who are GWCs or the models who work for them either.

Apples and oranges.

Jen

May 09 16 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Why me?
Every so often I get a spam message from a traveling model that goes something like:

[i]
Theres plenty of Photographers in this market and I cant imagine that the Model spammed all of us, even if she had unlimited messages.
So my question is why would a traveling nude model bother with sending me a message?

I don't have any nude images in my portfolio, or any lingerie images typical of the kind of content most traveling Models shoot, so why would they think I'd start shooting that content with them and pay them for it?

Hopefully my work shows that I am experienced, and my profile should convey that I've had plenty of experience and no shortage of collaborations with other members.

If I was a traveling nude model, I'd probably market myself to harmless GWCs.

She must have confused you with a reasonable professional who understands what a networking site is all about.

Fortunately, you've cleared up that misunderstanding.

May 09 16 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

DarkSlide

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Why me?

Whenever an artist believes they have reached the top of the heap - they should look up to see the mountain of taken above them.

May 09 16 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

To expand even further, as was pointed out by another poster, some of your verified credits are other traveling nude models, we basically mine each others contact lists. Your credited images also show a couple nudes. Your profile says youve shot "a little bit of everything", you're not exactly screaming "I WONT SHOOT YOU NAKED GO AWAY!" here.

But its mostly just that we spam everybody. And its not a total waste of time to contact those who don't show nudes, half of them WANT to get into nudes but the local models they've been able to work with thus far don't do them or they didn't know how to ask/have a fear of being seen as creepy, so we offer and thats their "big break" into shooting nudes, its not dangerous to their reputation to ask a nude model offering nudes to shoot nudes.

^^  What she said

I appreciate it when I'm contacted - I don't feel that it's any obligation to work with anybody - 

But, I have generally found traveling models to be exceptionally professional - organized - easy to work with - and well worth paying (given that the cost is not that high - it's supply and demand - there is no logic to pricing yourself out of the market you are traveling to). 

This stands in profound contrast to some newbie local models, that are none of the above - and still want eleventy billion dollars.

May 10 16 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jen B E wrote:

It sounds more like he is asking why nude models are asking him to pay them just because they are soliciting him for paid work. Generally, soliciting for paid work may work better on a GWC, not a non nude photographer.

Also, Risen Phoenix, I've said this several times in reply to some of your posts, not everyone who shoots nude is a GWC nor are they considered one. Likely though, the GWC market is where some travelling models can solicit for money. Again, this is not an insult to those who are GWCs or the models who work for them either.

Apples and oranges.

Jen

He is an art nude photographer.  "An Artist!"  Every other nude photographer is a GWC!    smile

May 10 16 08:35 am Link