Forums > Model Colloquy > Shooting in the Bedroom of an 18 yr old Model

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Working with an International Agency and they sent me an 18 year old Model today

Model brought a good  selection of clothes with her ( mainly a number of cool swimsuits she had bought on line )

Shoot went well as we both enjoyed it and got some nice shots

Afterwards we were talking about her wardrobe and she showed me some cell phone pix of her shoe room and wardrobe room in her famly home

Both rooms looked like High end Department Store Showrooms - and I immediatly said to her " it would be cool to shoot with you and one of your model friends " in those aformentioned rooms ( in a Fashion Style of course )

She enthusiastically agreed ( citing some celeb model who had recenlty done this )  and we made a tentative plan to do the shoot

But afterwards I started thinking to myself the whole idea sounded a bit creepy given that I am a ( near ) retirement aged photographer and she is barely a woman ( still living in her family home )

And then I thought - maybe I can mitigate these concerns by bringing a young female makeup artist and a young female photographic assistant with me to the shoot

Wondering what your thoughts on the matter are ?

Jul 14 16 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Garry k wrote:
I started thinking to myself the whole idea sounded a bit creepy given that I am a ( near ) retirement aged photographer and she is barely a woman ( still living in her family home ) Wondering what your thoughts on the matter are ?

C  R  E  E  P Y . . . . . .

She may not have actually thought so . . . but by virtue of the fact that YOU think it might be creepy , convinced me that it probably was.

Jul 14 16 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

NYO STUDIO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

your plan seems sound, dont worry, just don't speak without thinking first. 

I think she might just cancel a shoot in her home, the agency doesn't know of it, not sure what her contract with the agency is.  Again its good you have a plan, incase she doesn't cancel.

you should stick to your word, dont cancel, looks unprofessional.  if she as a room full of highend department stuff, it seems like its a good opportunity to make contacts. could prove useful in the future.

your age helps you, because she looks at you as her photographer, not potential lover, if you meet her family there, they will have the same impression, and thats thats, hope you enjoy.

DONT GO ALONE!!

Jul 14 16 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Garry k wrote:
Working with an International Agency and they sent me an 18 year old Model today

Model brought a good  selection of clothes with her ( mainly a number of cool swimsuits she had bought on line )

Shoot went well as we both enjoyed it and got some nice shots

Afterwards we were talking about her wardrobe and she showed me some cell phone pix of her shoe room and wardrobe room in her famly home

Both rooms looked like High end Department Store Showrooms - and I immediatly said to her " it would be cool to shoot with you and one of your model friends " in those aformentioned rooms ( in a Fashion Style of course )

She enthusiastically agreed ( citing some celeb model who had recenlty done this )  and we made a tentative plan to do the shoot

But afterwards I started thinking to myself the whole idea sounded a bit creepy given that I am a ( near ) retirement aged photographer and she is barely a woman ( still living in her family home )

And then I thought - maybe I can mitigate these concerns by bringing a young female makeup artist and a young female photographic assistant with me to the shoot

Wondering what your thoughts on the matter are ?

Yup.

Jul 14 16 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Another thought i have on the matter is simply setting up the shoot for one of my female photographer friends to follow through on

I think the  shoot idea is a good one but i am just not thinking that i might be the photographer to do this

Jul 14 16 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

C  R  E  E  P Y . . . . . .

She may not have actually thought so . . . but by virtue of the fact that YOU think it might be creepy , convinced me that it probably was.

I seriously doubt that you are that easily convinced of anything given your extensive professional history as a photographer

Jul 14 16 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

NYO STUDIO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Garry k wrote:
Another thought i have on the matter is simply setting up the shoot for one of my female photographer friends to follow through on

I think the  shoot idea is a good one but i am just not thinking that i might be the photographer to do this

say you just got booked or something, and send your female photographer friend, who is reliable and will not cancel

you have to be relaxed, and confident too, dont act wierd, or you will become the creep

Jul 14 16 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

NYO STUDIO wrote:

say you just got booked or something, and send your female photographer friend, who is reliable and will not cancel

you have to be relaxed, and confident too, dont act wierd, or you will become the creep

I would have no problem telling the model I thought about the idea and realizzed the optics did not look so good

Jul 14 16 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

There is actually a local photographer (of a similar age to me ) who advertises that he is willing to pay younger models to shoot nudes in their bedrooms ( I am not sure though that he is thinking of their family homes though )

I remember seeing that and feeling it was creepy

Jul 14 16 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

NYO STUDIO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Garry k wrote:
I would have no problem telling the model I thought about the idea and realizzed the optics did not look so good

in the end, if your not comfortable, and you go ahead, you risk comming across as a creep/perv.  if you are comfortable then go ahead the road is clear.

dont let paranoia dictate

Jul 14 16 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Girls you pull from agencies, you shouldn't really be making side deals with them to shoot.
That's a good way to get less popular with the agencies you wish to pull from in the future.

Jul 14 16 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
Girls you pull from agencies, you shouldn't really be making side deals with them to shoot.
That's a good way to get less popular with the agencies you wish to pull from in the future.

The Agency Director and I are Friends and He is happy with everything i have done

so far

and this i believe is model number 6 in the past month

He is not specifying anything particular for these shoots - just to do my thing

Specifically for this Model he wants more content for the Agencys website as she is brand new

Jul 14 16 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

It would be nice to get some models perspectives on this - if there are any left in this forum

Jul 14 16 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

GoneAway

Tombouctou, Tombouctou, Mali

Having a creepy demeanour is not aligned to a photographer's age. It is aligned to their behaviour and conduct, both in person and in comms. You have a head start in that you appear to be an agency-approved photographer and, having already worked with the model in question, she appears to feel comfortable with you. So I don't understand why you'd be so keen to bring up the 'creepy' scenario. There's nothing creepy about shooting editorial in a model's bedroom unless you make it so.

In your situation my only concern would be to square it with her parents - assuming she's living with them. I'm also assuming the agency is happy for you to shoot her outwith their original brief based on what you've said since.

Jul 15 16 12:17 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

She is 18 and there is neither a legal nor a moral reason not to shoot in her house.

Whether it's useful must be jugded by you. You are the photographer.

Jul 15 16 01:02 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Garry k wrote:

I seriously doubt that you are that easily convinced of anything given your extensive professional history as a photographer

+1

Jul 15 16 01:11 am Link

Photographer

NYO STUDIO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

M A R K wrote:
Having a creepy demeanour is not aligned to a photographer's age. It is aligned to their behaviour and conduct, both in person and in comms. You have a head start in that you appear to be an agency-approved photographer and, having already worked with the model in question, she appears to feel comfortable with you. So I don't understand why you'd be so keen to bring up the 'creepy' scenario. There's nothing creepy about shooting editorial in a model's bedroom unless you make it so.

In your situation my only concern would be to square it with her parents - assuming she's living with them. I'm also assuming the agency is happy for you to shoot her outwith their original brief based on what you've said since.

exactly!!

parents would definately be "OKAY" with you for sure, as compared to a 25 year old photographer, also since it was the "agency" that got you involved, there is already an unsaid level of trust.

thing is the parents are the ones that got her all that clothing, shoes, etc. so they have encouraged her in this direction, they have paid the agency fees, etc. So they would be appreciative rather than hostile, or suspicious

Jul 15 16 06:36 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I think it's a perfect location for shooting if you are focusing on the variety of clothing and shoes available.  If I had a wardrobe like that, and it was in a really nicely appointed room designed to feature the clothing, I would want to be photographed there!  Speaking as a mother, if I had an 18 year old daughter who was agency represented and she had this opportunity for a photo shoot in her own home featuring her shoes and wardrobe, I would tell her to go for it.

I think you will find that her parents will be totally on board with this concept. Your age is not an issue but as others have said, it can sometimes work to your advantage as being trustworthy and experienced in your field. I don't see anything about this concept being the least bit creepy since you are a professional and work with agency models frequently. I agree that bringing along a makeup artist or an assistant (probably not both due to space limitations in the bedroom) will go even further to support the thinking that everything is being done professionally and properly. Simply have the makeup artist assist you or if the girl wants to do her own makeup and is good at it, then bring a female assistant who is in the 25-35 age range. You want someone older than the girl while still younger than her parents.

Even though she's 18, you should insist that one of the parents be present in the house at all times because it is their home and they might want to set certain limitations on what areas of the home can be photographed or you can have access to.

This concept can be done very tastefully and come across as totally classy. I can envision a variety of poses, but if it were me or my daughter, I'd want at least some showing her in nice underwear standing in the closet trying to decide what to wear today. Lay out a few outfits on the bed, and have her ponder which to choose. Have her stand in front of the mirror holding up an outfit in front of her while in her underwear, as most women do when trying to decide. Then show her wearing some of the outfits she has chosen.

While I have never worked with an agency, I would think they would love for her to add something like that to her portfolio. If you don't have to clear this with her agency, then I can think of no good reasons why you should not go ahead with the shoot.

Jul 15 16 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Garry k wrote:

This is what happens when people overthink things.

If its a cool idea AND the model's up for it, who gives a shit what everyone else thinks of it?

Jul 15 16 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

A good location is a good location.  Why would shooting in model's home be more creepy than shooting in some other home, especially if she likes the idea?  Look through magazines and you will find scores of photos of famous people taken of them in their own homes.  Is that creepy?

Thats said, I absolutely think the nature of a shoot location does correlate to the risk of being falsely accused of something and how seriously that accusation will be taken.  Your risk is more alone with a model her bedroom than it is in a commercial studio with a MUA artist present.  My guess is that your risk with an agency model is lower than if you were working with some newbie internet model.

I shoot models in a home studio.  I know that has some added risk compared to a commercial studio situation, but that's my situation, and I accept it.  I don't think there is any magic line.  Everyone has to decide for themselves what situations they are comfortable with and what situations they are not.  A lawyer friend of mine thinks I'm taking an unreasonable risk shooting with internet models in any capacity.

Jul 15 16 08:00 am Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Abbitt Photography wrote:
A good location is a good location.  Why would shooting in model's home be more creepy than shooting in some other home, especially if she likes the idea?

It's not creepy unless you post about ruminating about how creepy it is.

Jul 15 16 08:05 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

She lives with her parents.

Instead of trying to pile half a dozen more strangers into this kids closet to ease your worries of being a weirdo, why don't you just talk to this chicks parents about whether or not they want you in their home with their daughter in the first place? Its their house.

Jul 15 16 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

Instead of trying to pile half a dozen more strangers into this kids closet to ease your worries of being a weirdo, why don't you just talk to this chicks parents about whether or not they want you in their home with their daughter in the first place? Its their house.

+1

Do you feel creepy? I think from reading all your posts you do. Or that you feel creepy shooting at her parents house . 
I wouldn't do the shoot because you are so worried can't be good for the work.

Jul 15 16 08:37 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

MatureModelMM wrote:
..... If you don't have to clear this with her agency, then I can think of no good reasons why you should not go ahead with the shoot.

There is the questionable part.

Since this is being done outside the agency as a side-line deal between the model and him - and without their knowledge as I read it - I wonder how they'd react?  Does she have an exclusive contract with them?  They might see this as an independent booking and want payment for it.  It might end his relationship with the agency too if he is booking their models on the side without paying the agency for their talent.  If I were the agency owner, I would appreciate someone booking on the side with my talent to pay me, otherwise I would cut them off.

I'll leave the matter of whether it's creepy to the jury in their deliberation room.

Jul 15 16 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

GRMACK wrote:

There is the questionable part.

Since this is being done outside the agency as a side-line deal between the model and him - and without their knowledge as I read it - I wonder how they'd react?  Does she have an exclusive contract with them?  They might see this as an independent booking and want payment for it.  It might end his relationship with the agency too if he is booking their models on the side without paying the agency for their talent.  If I were the agency owner, I would appreciate someone booking on the side with my talent to pay me, otherwise I would cut them off.

I'll leave the matter of whether it's creepy to the jury in their deliberation room.

Please try and keep up with the conversation as that matter has already been addressed

Jul 15 16 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

It's not creepy unless you post about ruminating about how creepy it is.

Let me guess

You believe that the Real Creepsters of the Worlds are the ones that think most about being creepy

Like they probably wake up every morning and think to themselves - How can I be more creepy than the day before ?

right

My guess is that they are mostly either largely obvlivious to the matter and or just dont care

Jul 15 16 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

When shooting in an enclosed space, bounce light is your friend for even lighting, snoots are your BFFs when controlling spillage.

Jul 15 16 10:16 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Garry k wrote:

Let me guess

You believe that the Real Creepsters of the Worlds are the ones that think most about being creepy

Like they probably wake up every morning and think to themselves - How can I be more creepy than the day before ?

right

My guess is that they are mostly either largely obvlivious to the matter and or just dont care

Actually, probably the former is more accurate - creepers are likely to spend a disproportionate amount of their thinking time with consideration of their creeping.

Jul 15 16 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Actually, probably the former is more accurate - creepers are likely to spend a disproportionate amount of their thinking time with consideration of their creeping.

well John - Show me the research and make me a believer

smile

Jul 15 16 10:28 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Garry k wrote:

well John - Show me the research and make me a believer

smile

I have no vested interest in exhausting my time doing that. But by all means continue to fixate on creepiness.

Jul 15 16 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

MatureModelMM wrote:
I think it's a perfect location for shooting if you are focusing on the variety of clothing and shoes available.  If I had a wardrobe like that, and it was in a really nicely appointed room designed to feature the clothing, I would want to be photographed there!  Speaking as a mother, if I had an 18 year old daughter who was agency represented and she had this opportunity for a photo shoot in her own home featuring her shoes and wardrobe, I would tell her to go for it.

I think you will find that her parents will be totally on board with this concept. Your age is not an issue but as others have said, it can sometimes work to your advantage as being trustworthy and experienced in your field. I don't see anything about this concept being the least bit creepy since you are a professional and work with agency models frequently. I agree that bringing along a makeup artist or an assistant (probably not both due to space limitations in the bedroom) will go even further to support the thinking that everything is being done professionally and properly. Simply have the makeup artist assist you or if the girl wants to do her own makeup and is good at it, then bring a female assistant who is in the 25-35 age range. You want someone older than the girl while still younger than her parents.

Even though she's 18, you should insist that one of the parents be present in the house at all times because it is their home and they might want to set certain limitations on what areas of the home can be photographed or you can have access to.

This concept can be done very tastefully and come across as totally classy. I can envision a variety of poses, but if it were me or my daughter, I'd want at least some showing her in nice underwear standing in the closet trying to decide what to wear today. Lay out a few outfits on the bed, and have her ponder which to choose. Have her stand in front of the mirror holding up an outfit in front of her while in her underwear, as most women do when trying to decide. Then show her wearing some of the outfits she has chosen.

While I have never worked with an agency, I would think they would love for her to add something like that to her portfolio. If you don't have to clear this with her agency, then I can think of no good reasons why you should not go ahead with the shoot.

Thanks - I would fully expect that one perhaps both parents would be present

The Underwear shot I think would be necessary for this type of shoot but that is where I would feel majorly uncomfortable

Maybe leave it for the girl or her parent to suggest ?

Jul 15 16 10:51 am Link

Photographer

erik jensen

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

sounds great. do it.

Jul 15 16 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I would give you the same advice I would give the model--If you're not comfortable doing it, don't.  If you are comfortable doing it, do.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Jul 15 16 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
I would give you the same advice I would give the model--If you're not comfortable doing it, don't.  If you are comfortable doing it, do.

All IMHO as always, of course.

+1

Jul 15 16 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

I have no vested interest in exhausting my time doing that. But by all means continue to fixate on creepiness.

It took me less than 5 secs w Google to find this

The gist of which is " Do Creepy People Realize they are being Creepy ? No "

http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.s … py_do.html

Jul 15 16 11:33 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

+1

In my opinion the issue isn't that this is creepy (it was described in the OP as a fashion shoot with an agency signed model who is of legal age in a setting she is familiar with so there should be no issue except for whatever scenario you may have concocted in your head), the issue is whether or not the owners of the house will give their consent for the shoot to occur at all.

Jul 15 16 11:45 am Link

Photographer

r T p

Post hidden on Jul 15, 2016 04:50 pm
Reason: not helpful

Jul 15 16 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Bring a female make up artist along.

Jul 15 16 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Michael Bots wrote:
Bring a female make up artist along.

and/or stylist - that's what I'd do.

Jul 15 16 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

and/or stylist - that's what I'd do.

just secured a stylist

and have a few female makeup artist  friends ( and one who is transitioning to becoming a female )

Jul 15 16 03:44 pm Link