Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Has MM Declined?

Photographer

J D R Photography

Vincennes, Indiana, US

I've been away from MM from a couple of years.  I have recently started browsing again and trying to make contacts and what I am finding is that many many many people are now only checking their page every 3-6 months...and some are away. (Yes I was away too).  It also seems that a lot of the people that were on here in the past are gone and the over all numbers of people in my area has dwindled.

Is anybody else experiencing this or is this just my imagination?  I'm not trying to knock MM, just curious as to what the issue is and why.

Sep 11 16 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

It's not your imagination.

The reason is Instagram and Snapchat.

a model's social media following is now far more important than her portfolio, and with all the advances of cell phone cameras and the tool available in Instagram and Snapchat, the role of skilled photographer is almost useless to them.

Sep 11 16 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
the role of skilled photographer is almost useless to them.

...and theyre useless to skilled photographers.
well hey, this is in "off topic".
actual models still need portfolios, internet "models" just need selfies.

Sep 11 16 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

So how would you reverse the decline?

Sep 11 16 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

I've seen crazy pictures of tornadoes up close or lava flows with a few hundred likes while morons with street crap of a sidewalk and a sunset with palm trees have thousands.

Sep 11 16 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

J D R Photography

Vincennes, Indiana, US

FFantastique wrote:

If you're asking me, I really don't know. I'd rather have 100 members that are quality people than 1000 that suck. MM is a numbers game, but as usual, many of the "models" want to get paid for standing there with a blank look on their face. But that's another issue....

Sep 11 16 07:57 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

a model's social media following is now far more important than her portfolio, and with all the advances of cell phone cameras and the tool available in Instagram and Snapchat, the role of skilled photographer is almost useless to them.

A lot of models have built their careers and book jobs from having a huge following.A lot of agencies will sign models based on their social media following.So their following actually gains attention of skilled photographers and paying gigs.

Sep 12 16 01:52 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

just look at the +18 winners. thats what mm is left with.

Sep 12 16 05:29 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

It certainly has declined in terms of Model quality in my area

However it seems to be still thriving in some larger areas

I was recently in LA and there appears to be a lot of great models on MM there - I even shot with a few of them

Sep 12 16 06:24 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

FFantastique wrote:

Take steps to make MM more model friendly.

Sep 12 16 06:37 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

All good here in London, slowly and steadily it seems that the Eastern European girls are taking over.

No complaints here!

Sep 12 16 06:52 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

L o n d o n   F o g wrote:
All good here in London, slowly and steadily it seems that the Eastern European girls are taking over.

No complaints here!

I agree. Whilst the forum is nothing like as useful as it used to be there's plenty of model activity in and around London. Moreso here IMO than on other UK modelling sites.

Sep 12 16 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

No complaints here!

I've worked with Eastern European models.  They're great!

Sep 12 16 07:10 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I've worked with Eastern European models.  They're great!

Looks like we finally agree on something!

Yes they are amazing. I'd say that 70-80% of the models I now work with are from Eastern Europe, in particular Poland, Latvia, Slovakia, Croatia and Russia. There's just something about the girls from this region, they are so naturally beautiful, so willing to go that extra mile for great looks. Many of them are top notch with their own make-up thus negating the need for MUA's, and most importantly they generally don't have any hang ups, and aren't particularly shy either!

All the right ingredients for amazing looks!

I think I might move to Riga!

Sep 12 16 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Yes they are amazing. I'd say that 70-80% of the models I now work with are from Eastern Europe, in particular Poland, Latvia, Slovakia, Croatia and Russia. There's just something about the girls from this region, they are so naturally beautiful, so willing to go that extra mile for great looks. Many of them are top notch with their own make-up thus negating the need for MUA's, and most importantly they generally don't have any hang ups, and aren't particularly shy either!

Personally i am thinking Budapest smile

I mentioned that i had found LA to be rich with good ( fashion ) models on MM ,,,i should have added that a significant number of them appeared to be of Russian or Eastern European background

Sep 12 16 07:28 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Garry k wrote:

Personally i am thinking Budapest smile

I mentioned that i had found LA to be rich with good ( fashion ) models on MM ,,,i should have added that a significant number of them appeared to be of Russian or Eastern European background

Riga, Tallin, Budapest, Prague, Dubrovnik etc are all choc full of super hot talent, many of them have already moved to London, NYC, LA, Paris, Milan etc, and more power to them. And before anyone makes any snarky comments about Eastern Euro girls they would do well to know that many of these girls are naturally super hot, super stylish and know how to dress and look the business, and that's all that really matters.

Personally I couldn't give a rats ass if a model had participated in a 10 man gang bang the night before. As long as she turns up to my shoot looking hotter than fuck then that's all that matters.

This is an industry where looks, professionalism and style count for everything, the rest is totally unimportant and matters not one bit to photographers!

Sep 12 16 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Riga, Tallin, Budapest, Prague, Dubrovnik etc are all choc full of super hot talent, many of them have already moved to London, NYC, LA, Paris, Milan etc, and more power to them. And before anyone makes any snarky comments about Eastern Euro girls they would do well to know that many of these girls are naturally super hot, super stylish and know how to dress and look the business, and that's all that really matters.

Personally I couldn't give a rats ass if a model had participated in a 10 man gang bang the night before. As long as she turns up to my shoot looking hotter than fuck then that's all that matters.

This is an industry where looks, professionalism and style count for everything, the rest is totally unimportant and matters not one bit to photographers!

hmmm ...

well i dont think i have ever met a model who has engaged in such activities the night before a shoot ( but maybe i have and she was just too shy to tell me )

I try not to make judgements though regarding peoples lifestyle choices as long as they are doing it of their own free will ( not being coerced or exploited ) and not harming others or themselves

Sep 12 16 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

there are of course European photographer / modelling sites that i understand are better geared for such matchups over there

or so i was told by a Romanian Model I shot a while ago

Sep 12 16 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

FFantastique wrote:

The problem is goals and incentive.   Compare IB to a modeling agency.  An agency makes money by booking shoots and doing what it take so ensure those shoots go well.  IB in contrast is an internet board service.  They make no money by shoots being booked and in fact, it's a liability for them, not a positive. 

I think for what's needed is an incentive that to some degree resembles the way agencies work a site that makes in money from successful bookings, not from member numbers, logins, or clicks on ads.

A few one-sided moderator actions have also driven off some good members.     Again, this comes down to incentive.  IB doesn't care if the advice given in a forum is good or bad or censored.  They care about numbers.

Sep 12 16 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I had a model from Prague who was an hour late for the shoot last year.  She apologized many times.  It wasn't her fault.
On the way back to the hotel with another photographer they hit a javelina at night in the desert.

Sep 12 16 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Barrister Photography wrote:
I've been away from MM from a couple of years.  I have recently started browsing again and trying to make contacts and what I am finding is that many many many people are now only checking their page every 3-6 months...and some are away. (Yes I was away too). .

I did the same thing (took 2-3 years off MM) and too was surprised by how much MM has quieted down in that time...

Sep 12 16 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I wonder about budget matters.  for instance, I know they get money from memberships and ad revenue, but extrapolating that with server capacity issues and probably having a huge amount that are on here and arent paying members,I wonder if its working for the site itself financially.

Sep 12 16 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

well hey, this is in "off topic".
actual models still need portfolios, internet "models" just need selfies.

Your thinking is outdated by at least 10 years and perhaps nearly 20 years.   The old days of carrying around a portfolio of 8 x 10's or 11 x 14's to "go see's" has gone the way of shooting film and hiring models from agencies, although I have never hired a model though an agency although I've worked with agency signed models.  All the major agencies are online.  Models carry their images on thumb drives.  Most photographers shoot digital although there are a few hold outs for film.  The vast majority of "actual" models are online with profiles on social networking websites.  Selfies are nothing to sneeze at as there are models who use selfies for marketing.  As crazy as it may seem, I even some models who make a direct profit from selfies.  At the very least, the use of Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube make for great marketing tools. I'm on all of those sites.  Sometimes I even take selfies.

Sep 12 16 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

I've been away from MM from a couple of years.  I have recently started browsing again and trying to make contacts and what I am finding is that many many many people are now only checking their page every 3-6 months...and some are away. (Yes I was away too).  It also seems that a lot of the people that were on here in the past are gone and the over all numbers of people in my area has dwindled.

Is anybody else experiencing this or is this just my imagination?  I'm not trying to knock MM, just curious as to what the issue is and why.

I've never gone away, but I have noticed the slow down.  I no longer spend as much time on here either.  I'm kept busy enough from all the other locations on the Internet that I'm on.  Even the Facebook group devoted to MM gossip has nearly died ...  nothing new really happening here.

Sep 12 16 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

It's not your imagination.

The reason is Instagram and Snapchat.

That is a good summary of what has been happening.

Sep 12 16 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

The F-Stop wrote:
just look at the +18 winners. thats what mm is left with.

Granted Facebook is now taking heat for banning nudity even if it's a Pulitzer Prize winner, an iconic image of newsworthy importance, or a work of art.

Sep 12 16 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Has MM Declined?

What's "MM" you are talking about?

Lesser chocolate candy production?   ninja

Sep 12 16 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

MM's social media features are extremely outdated. The site initially did a good job implementing popular MySpace-era social media features (friends, pic comments, tags, etc), but MM hasn't kept up with newer social media features (likes, trending pics, friend feeds, event invites, comment/tag replies, @user replies, etc).  Lack of contemporary features leads to much shorter stays on MM and infrequent logins. Former daily users now log in weekly or monthly.

FB, IG, Tumblr are much more engaging and have taken a lot of the MM traffic. They of course lack some model site features like local talent searches, casting lists, travel notices, etc, so MM remains semi-relevant. 

Also, a lot of web traffic has gone mobile and MM has a very weak mobile game.

Sep 12 16 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I dont get it, it seems to have happened about the time I showed up.

Sep 12 16 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Even the Facebook group devoted to MM gossip has nearly died ...  nothing new really happening here.

There's several of those, actually... and the ones that I'm on have all slowed quite a bit. My take is that people have become way more selective about the time they spend on the intewebz in general.

Sep 12 16 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

PK Brazil wrote:
MM's social media features are extremely outdated. The site initially did a good job implementing popular MySpace-era social media features (friends, pic comments, tags, etc), but MM hasn't kept up with newer social media features (likes, trending pics, friend feeds, event invites, comment/tag replies, @user replies, etc).  Lack of contemporary features leads to much shorter stays on MM and infrequent logins. Former daily users now log in weekly or monthly.

FB, IG, Tumblr are much more engaging and have taken a lot of the MM traffic. They of course lack some model site features like local talent searches, casting lists, travel notices, etc, so MM remains semi-relevant. 

Absolutely!  Traveling models that I know "live and breath" by their mobile devices (fancy term for smart cellphones) and now Live Streaming is picking up major steam as a required tool in communications.  Some allow one on one communication like Skype while others allow broadcasting with an audience in a chatroom like on Facebook, and even guesting like Younow.   Live streaming is the future.  This Modelmayhem site doesn't even have a chatroom, as Shout Box hardly qualifies with it's 1990's technology as a tool.

Sep 13 16 12:03 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

I've been booking paid and collaborative work through social media and word of mouth. I've always kept my email notifications ON so there was never a need to check my account or inbox.

I've been off MM for at least a year, maybe two, and I don't think anything has changed. Forums look the same, castings too. Not sure why I came back, but I did work with two super cool models from MM recently so if anything, this place was certainly worth revisiting.

Sep 13 16 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

I've worked with a number of Eastern European models (heck, I've even married a Russian woman! wink ) but I've found that their skills and attitudes are similar to other model groups from different origins. There are good ones and bad ones.

And if you talk about professionalism, I'd much rather the models I work with go to bed early and drink a lot of water the night before a shoot than partying all night and coming to set with no energy, bad skin and bags under their eyes, but that's just me

Sep 13 16 08:08 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

In the Atlanta market there is an ever decreasing number of viable models because of the disgusting behavior of many local "photographers".

Two Atlanta men  have vacated mayhem recently, one under police investigation for criminal sexual assault following allegations from 20 models personal experiences.

Another with unprofessional conduct leading to models quitting the business likewise is gone.

Nothing is produced here in greater numbers than grossed out, fed up amateur models.

Sep 15 16 06:10 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Fotopia wrote:
In the Atlanta market there is an ever decreasing number of viable models because of the disgusting behavior of many local "photographers".

Two Atlanta men  have vacated mayhem recently, one under police investigation for criminal sexual assault following allegations from 20 models personal experiences.

Another with unprofessional conduct leading to models quitting the business likewise is gone.

Nothing is produced here in greater numbers than grossed out, fed up amateur models.

Must be something in the water!

Sep 15 16 08:47 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Must be something in the water!

We do have water filters, but they aren't strong enough for Georgia.

Sep 15 16 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

PK Brazil wrote:

I generally agree with you but for different reasons.

The laptop/desktop user experience for the most part is fine. Its the mobile device user experience that's a borderline nightmare. If people can't (or is hard for them) to check & reply to message, what's exactly the point of using this site? In my opinion, it all stems from that.

Sep 15 16 09:32 am Link

Photographer

REMOVED

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The unwillingness of many mayhem members to reply to messages in a timely manner is among the main reasons this site is ineffective as a talent search resource.

Sep 15 16 10:07 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I think it's mainly my fault  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Sep 16 16 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

There was also the ever important breaking story a while back of three missing young Colorado women all connected to MM so therefore MM was somehow at fault in the insinuation if not outright accusations of many news outlets on prime time news.

oh joy.

That has left a public scar that still exist. Some models think MM is a dirty word with no further knowledge of the matter. I'm personally not out to educate them as all it does is come off as nerdy at best and creepy at worst.

One was discovered a runaway a couple months into it all but that never was newsworthy.
http://www.westword.com/news/raven-furl … ly-5895698

A second was pregnant from a local junior collage jock and perhaps not a mm related, again not news worthy but instead a 20/20 investigation. No more mention of MM as they have already somehow sued and publicly destroyed their suspect without a court case much less conviction. BTW not a photographer not even by MM standards.
http://www.westword.com/news/break-in-k … er-7922140

Lastly the unfortunately still missing last girl who did in fact disappear on her way to a shoot the story has now turned to the mishandling of our then local sheriff who was to busy getting BJ's by several members of his direct level staff to correctly do his job. This story overrides the MM aspect as BJ.s with nude selfies and milf cops trump old MM news any day.
http://www.westword.com/news/kara-nicho … er-7947838

I hope they someday find the two young women alive a well. but more and more MM didn't seem to have anything to do with any of it. That never mattered to the news.

Sep 16 16 04:16 pm Link