Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What if it was Rich White People?

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Belair wrote:
Granted, a lot of the stranded are kids and the infirm, and the elderly.

But ya know what?

I'm seeing an awful lot of young, able-bodied adults in these pix that XA has so graciously plastered all over this board.

It looks to me like these folks had plenty of money for bling-bling, 21" wheels for their rides, X-boxes, cell phones, and i-Pods.  Isn't it a shame the didn't put a little away in a "Get the phac out of Nawlins" fund?

Aww Massah Belair I thank you for showing me the way.

Sep 05 05 10:47 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

IF. WHAT IF.  All this is pure BULL SHIT and a complete waste of friggin time.

Nobody knows what would happen IF IF IF IF IF IF. 

So why the hell worry about the great WHAT IF?????????????????????????????????
BS.  Pure BS for sure.  bs

Sep 05 05 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Any one doing any printing or photoshoots today?

Sep 05 05 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Zach Watkins wrote:

dude, do you really think the "bling" is real? and most of that other stuff is stolen merchandise bought well below retail. and when you're poor you dont think about the future. you think about the present and the past. its sad but thats how it is.

What a completly racist thing to say.....  Wait you are black aren't you?... preach on brother....

Sep 05 05 11:33 am Link

Photographer

studiomona

Marvin Dockery wrote:

Mee, yay. I just printed out a photograph from my shoot with Shattered Star last week:) Turned out good. I hope she likes it too. I just sent her an email letting her know that the cd will be in the mail tomorrow:)

mona

Sep 05 05 11:34 am Link

Photographer

jimblast

Dallas, Georgia, US

Star wrote:
Ok, so I have a job.
Not a great job, it pays bills.
My cell phone gets me work
My car gets me to work
I go to school, I work, everything I own is in my loft.
My ipod, my tivo, my camera, my flash makes the fact that I live alone with no chance of love...
My grandmother's death mask, jewlery...
My grandfather's record collection, typewriter, novel...
My Uncle's books...
everything...

and I am told to take the money in my pocket, $25 is usually about it, and flee for my life.
With one bag...

and if it hits everything I have to remind me of my past, and my family's past, is gone...
and if it doesn't, looters will take everything and it is gone all the same...

and who wil give me a ticket out of town for $25?
my car won't make it, it is flooded?

sometimes all we have in our lives is a small bundle of possessions...

don't ever FUCKING blame a victim of a natural disaster for not getting out in time because you feel they were stupid.

DON'T
FUCKING
EVER

There were ways to get out of town.  People (the vast majority who stayed) had a choice.  Your bundle of possessions, small or big, are NOT worth trying to sit out a CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE.  For those who just plain couldn't get out (sick, elderly, etc.) of course nobody blames them.  Those who had a choice?  It was a life altering mistake of a decision that could have been avoided.  You do NOT ride out a hurricane, especially one bearing down on you with that magnitude in a city below sea level merely protected by levies.  I have donated a good amount of money to help the people who didn't leave.  I also am housing 11 refugees from New Orleans.  I spent most of my free time this labor day visiting and helping at Reunion Arena to help refugees stationed in Dallas.  AND YES, I BLAME THOSE WHO DIDN'T GET OUT THAT COULD!  Buses were even driven to low income housing projects and the people wouldn't leave.  What about their decision to keep those children there....at LEAST let them leave.  They didn't.  I definitely blame them.  It could have been avoided. 

Here's the analogy for those parents who kept their children behind with them (I'm referring to those who had a way to get their children out before the storm hit but stupidly put their own kids in danger).  It is no different than taking a six shooter revolver of a pistol, putting two bullets in it, spinning it, and pointing it at their child's head.  If the gun goes off....do you blame the parent?  Of course you do!  If the gun doesn't go off....do you admonish the parent?  Of course you do.  If the parent is traumatized after seeing what it did to their child and needs to be hospitalized, do you help that parent in light of a bad decision?  Of course you do.  Should we help those who could have left but didn't?  Of course we do and are.

Sep 05 05 11:34 am Link

Photographer

studiomona

jimblast wrote:

There were ways to get out of town.  People (the vast majority who stayed) had a choice.  Your bundle of possessions, small or big, are NOT worth trying to sit out a CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE.  For those who just plain couldn't get out (sick, elderly, etc.) of course nobody blames them.  Those who had a choice?  It was a life altering mistake of a decision that could have been avoided.  You do NOT ride out a hurricane, especially one bearing down on you with that magnitude in a city below sea level merely protected by levies.  I have donated a good amount of money to help the people who didn't leave.  I also am housing 11 refugees from New Orleans.  I spent most of my free time this labor day visiting and helping at Reunion Arena to help refugees stationed in Dallas.  AND YES, I BLAME THOSE WHO DIDN'T GET OUT THAT COULD!  Buses were even driven to low income housing projects and the people wouldn't leave.  What about their decision to keep those children there....at LEAST let them leave.  They didn't.  I definitely blame them.  It could have been avoided. 

Here's the analogy for those parents who kept their children behind with them (I'm referring to those who had a way to get their children out before the storm hit but stupidly put their own kids in danger).  It is no different than taking a six shooter revolver of a pistol, putting two bullets in it, spinning it, and pointing it at their child's head.  If the gun goes off....do you blame the parent?  Of course you do!  If the gun doesn't go off....do you admonish the parent?  Of course you do.  If the parent is traumatized after seeing what it did to their child and needs to be hospitalized, do you help that parent in light of a bad decision?  Of course you do.  Should we help those who could have left but didn't?  Of course we do and are.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you wrote.

Sep 05 05 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

aye provide wrote:
Yessuh  you be right Boss.

I know I'm right... and how many times I gotta tell you... call me Big Daddy...

Question, how far would you WALK to save your life?

Sep 05 05 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Michael Tappan

Scottsbluff, Nebraska, US

Keith aka Wolfie wrote:
Well, we have to keep in mind, it's this admin that didn't act too fast in regards to the disasters, albeit financial, because of the likes of Enron, WorldCom and Adelphia.. How many peoples lives changed becuase of the abuses of Enron alone.. Employees were asked to buy more of Enron stocks while the head exec. were selling theirs.. Execs that were supportors of this admin...

Disasters happen in many forms and it's usually the least able to absorb the costs that suffer the most.. The poor in the case of Katrina or the working stiff trying to save for the future while possible working paycheck to paycheck...

Good Lord Wolfie give it a rest dude !!! Everyone on MM knows you hate Bush and you're the number one defender of the down-trodden masses, so PLEASE stop trying to hijack every thread on here to turn it into your own person vendetta against the President !!! Geez, you sound like a stuck record.

Wasn't it YOU that started a thread about a "truce", but now you're in here calling names? (I know, I know - someone else started it first and you HAD to respond)

Sep 05 05 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Star wrote:
Ok, so I have a job.
My car gets me to work
My ipod, my tivo, my camera, my flash makes the fact that I live alone with no chance of love...
My Uncle's books...
everything...

and I am told to take the money in my pocket, $25 is usually about it, and flee for my life.
With one bag...

and if it hits everything I have to remind me of my past, and my family's past, is gone...

don't ever FUCKING blame a victim of a natural disaster for not getting out in time because you feel they were stupid.

DON'T
FUCKING
EVER

Was the car flooded BEFORE the hurricane? $25 will buy a tank of gas, figure $3 a gallon and just 20 miles to the gallon, you would still be able to get 166 miles away. NUFF SAID.

Sep 05 05 11:43 am Link

Photographer

studiomona

Keith aka Wolfie wrote:

studiomona wrote:

Keith aka Wolfie wrote:

studiomona wrote:

Keith aka Wolfie wrote:
Studiomona wrote on page 1:

"Is this name calling enough for you and the rest? 
>

come on, play fair."

Keith asked: Do you really consider this the same as Belair calling someone a dumbfucker?

Please tell me how I have twisted your words? I didn't twist, I quoted.... See page 1...

You think that claiming/accusations of Genocide and everything else in that original post does not constitue  namecalling?
Yeah, it is far worse than namecalling.

Sep 05 05 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Tappan

Star wrote:

DON'T
FUCKING
EVER

I hope I read your post correctly Star.

To me, a true victim is one that HAS NO CHOICES, I think that's the point.

Everyday we all get through life by making one choice after another.  Not all those choices are easy ones, nor are they all positive, but usually we do have a choice of some sort (like which is the lesser of two evils to vote for in the political arena LOL).  Of course, there are always exceptions to any situation. But with any choice we make, there is a responsibility for making that choice.  Everyone will get aid and will be helped because that's the sort of nation we are; we help each other - even if we do tend to fight amongst ourselves. I have no idea who is or who is NOT a victim in all this but I would think regardless of the material things that are lost, they would at LEAST be grateful to be alive; stuff can be replaced, life can't.

I just think we tend to label too many people victims, which really just gives them an excuse for making a bad choice and that label allows them to escape their personal responsibilities.

There are many victims in New Orleans, BUT there are plenty of people who made some stupid choices and are NOT victims.  They may NOW get victimized as a result of their dicisions.  But this is nitpicking a meaning anyway.  Everyone will get helped and that's as it should be. There will be plenty of time to debate all this and hand out blame like toilet paper at a chilli cook-off.

Peace

Sep 05 05 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

mphunt

Hudson, Florida, US

Marvin Dockery wrote:

Yep - submittals to two juried gallery competitions and working on a third for submittal by the end of the month.

Sep 05 05 01:02 pm Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Why isnt this thread locked? So far, Ive read bitching, nagging, name calling, fighting, and people blaming the victims of Katrina for being victims.
For the love of God, Theda.....Udo??... Please lock this thread. If ever there was a thread in need of locking, this would be it, y'all. Its going nowhere and fueling tempers...

P.S) In the very first post in this thread (the original writers comment) he begins by attacking Extreme... wtf? Not cool....

Sep 05 05 01:04 pm Link

Model

Sheri B

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

Rules
These rules apply to every area of ModelMayhem.com (forums, shout box, comments, messages, etc).

[1] Absolutely NO FLAMING OR NAME CALLING. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm. Please keep profanity and gratuitously inflammatory language to a minimum. Personal attacks will not be tolerated on ModelMayhem.com.

Sep 05 05 01:06 pm Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Sheri B wrote:
Rules
These rules apply to every area of ModelMayhem.com (forums, shout box, comments, messages, etc).

[1] Absolutely NO FLAMING OR NAME CALLING. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm. Please keep profanity and gratuitously inflammatory language to a minimum. Personal attacks will not be tolerated on ModelMayhem.com.

Precicely.
Hey, I noticed that the dude who started this thread has been deleted... :d

Sep 05 05 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Jordan wrote:

Precicely.
Hey, I noticed that the dude who started this thread has been deleted... :d

Most likely because he would start out calling people names..

Sep 05 05 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Michael Tappan wrote:

Good Lord Wolfie give it a rest dude !!! Everyone on MM knows you hate Bush and you're the number one defender of the down-trodden masses, so PLEASE stop trying to hijack every thread on here to turn it into your own person vendetta against the President !!! Geez, you sound like a stuck record.

Wasn't it YOU that started a thread about a "truce", but now you're in here calling names? (I know, I know - someone else started it first and you HAD to respond)

Check the time stamps and then re-think your comments..

Sep 05 05 04:11 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

GotTheLookPhotographer wrote:

Well if they were, I don't think they'd be dumb enough to tell rescuers "not" to rescue them. But, I believe that would be with any person (regardless of color) who has a brain larger than say... a gnat (the "g" is silent for those of you from Louisiana who are refusing to be rescued).

Gary

PS: That was sarcasm, I know there is no power there to get online.

Considering that there are people trapped in the Superdome and elsewhere, waiting for days on end for water...I don't blame them. I think I would take my chances with the looters.

Sep 05 05 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

studiomona

Michael Tappan wrote:

Everyday we all get through life by making one choice after another.  Not all those choices are easy ones, nor are they all positive, but usually we do have a choice of some sort (like which is the lesser of two evils to vote for in the political arena LOL).  Of course, there are always exceptions to any situation. But with any choice we make, there is a responsibility for making that choice.  Everyone will get aid and will be helped because that's the sort of nation we are; we help each other - even if we do tend to fight amongst ourselves. I have no idea who is or who is NOT a victim in all this but I would think regardless of the material things that are lost, they would at LEAST be grateful to be alive; stuff can be replaced, life can't.

I just think we tend to label too many people victims, which really just gives them an excuse for making a bad choice and that label allows them to escape their personal responsibilities.

There are many victims in New Orleans, BUT there are plenty of people who made some stupid choices and are NOT victims.  They may NOW get victimized as a result of their dicisions.  But this is nitpicking a meaning anyway.  Everyone will get helped and that's as it should be. There will be plenty of time to debate all this and hand out blame like toilet paper at a chilli cook-off.

Peace

You nailed it, Mr Tappan smile I couldn't have said it any better wink

-mona-

Sep 05 05 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Tappan

Keith aka Wolfie wrote:

Check the time stamps and then re-think your comments..

There's no need to "re-think" my comments and you lost me with the "time stamp" comment.

I see I do need to make a spelling correction; it should read, "... turn it into your own [bold] personal [/bold] vendetta ..." instead of "person"

Sep 05 05 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Michael Tappan wrote:

Everyday we all get through life by making one choice after another.  Not all those choices are easy ones, nor are they all positive, but usually we do have a choice of some sort (like which is the lesser of two evils to vote for in the political arena LOL).  Of course, there are always exceptions to any situation. But with any choice we make, there is a responsibility for making that choice.  Everyone will get aid and will be helped because that's the sort of nation we are; we help each other - even if we do tend to fight amongst ourselves.

I CHOOSE everyday to wake up and eat and not die of starvation, that is a CHOICE yes it is...

Sep 05 05 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

The people of NO had gotten complacent because in over 300 years they have been extremely luck to have gotten away from harm from major storms. Truth is that dispite the fact that it was foreseeable that  a major Cain could destroy the city no one thought this was the one. The same could happen in the Hamptons but chances are no one would be home.
Jimmy Carter once said something to the effect that life was unfair and it affects the poor more.  The rich and the middle class have the means to leave, the poor , ths sick and the elderly do not. The real question is why did not the city of NO not have an evacuation plan other than having everyone co to a Stadiun that had no food or sanitation facilities. Why was there no backup communications for the police and why did the mayor not order an evacuation untill he was told to (acording to published reports)
As a country are we going to try to learn from this tradegy or do we want to spend all of our time trying to point fingers and gain political benefit from the suffering of others.
Anyone that expects the federal government to mofilize and respond in less than 72 hours is not living in the real world. Just look how long it takes to get a family of four with two small kids out on a road trip!
Lets chill and quite the name calling , it says more about you than the person you are talking about and the fact that someone else started it does not justify bad behavior on your part unless you are a 2 year old

Sep 05 05 11:03 pm Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

Vatican City, Holy See, Vatican City

Time for a break. Who is hungry and wants to grab something to eat?

Sep 05 05 11:25 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I do, I do!!!!!

Sep 05 05 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Marvin Dockery wrote:

most of the time I'm on mayhem I'm waiting for my 3 hamster CPU to complete a task, or print, etc.   ahhhh, the best thing folks who hate me on the forums, could do would be to buy me a G5.

Sep 06 05 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Jordan wrote:
Why isnt this thread locked? So far, Ive read bitching, nagging, name calling, fighting, and people blaming the victims of Katrina for being victims.
For the love of God, Theda.....Udo??... Please lock this thread. If ever there was a thread in need of locking, this would be it, y'all. Its going nowhere and fueling tempers...

P.S) In the very first post in this thread (the original writers comment) he begins by attacking Extreme... wtf? Not cool....

I thought the same thing when I saw the first set of posts blaming victims, one guy even wrote "let em drown...."   I thought what a strange world that using profane language is prohibited but folks could write stuff like that.  But that is part of free speech....and that is part of freedom.  You can be as callous and stupid or narrowminded as you wish, that's your right.

What has been interesting to me is to see the faces behind the names in the mayhem community.  There was another thread a few weeks back where people wanted photographers to post photos of themselves.  In some ways, these latest threads have shown me more about fellow MMers then an MRI would....

Sep 06 05 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Robert Helm wrote:
Just look how long it takes to get a family of four with two small kids out on a road trip!

It get worse when they are teenagers...

Sep 06 05 01:21 am Link

Photographer

Michael Tappan

Star wrote:

I CHOOSE everyday to wake up and eat and not die of starvation, that is a CHOICE yes it is...

If I have offended you with what I said, I assure you that was NOT my intent at all and I apologize.

I am NOT blaming ANYONE for the decisions they have made in New Orleans (which also includes the feds) because I WAS NOT THERE OR FACED WITH what these people are having to face/endure/deal with.  I am NOT about placing blame at all because it's not my place to judge ANYONE.

My comments were more directed at a general mind-set of using words that will EXCUSE people from taking responsibility for their actions. I think the word "victim" is one of those words, but this may NOT have been the correct thread to state my view, especially with emotions running as high as they are right now.

I wanted to try and clarify my comments in case you found them offensive.  I can only say, that was NEVER my intent; I am not heartless, uncarring or unfeeling at all.

Sep 06 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

jimblast

Dallas, Georgia, US

Michael Tappan wrote:
If I have offended you with what I said, I assure you that was NOT my intent at all and I apologize.

I am NOT blaming ANYONE for the decisions they have made in New Orleans (which also includes the feds) because I WAS NOT THERE OR FACED WITH what these people are having to face/endure/deal with.  I am NOT about placing blame at all because it's not my place to judge ANYONE.

My comments were more directed at a general mind-set of using words that will EXCUSE people from taking responsibility for their actions. I think the word "victim" is one of those words, but this may NOT have been the correct thread to state my view, especially with emotions running as high as they are right now.

I wanted to try and clarify my comments in case you found them offensive.  I can only say, that was NEVER my intent; I am not heartless, uncarring or unfeeling at all.

Michael, I think that any reasonable, logically thinking inidvidual would take your comments and opinions at face value.  In my personal dealings with this disaster, those that have questioned the judgement of many who chose to stay are the very same people whom are in the trenches helping these displaced Americans. 

What is extraordinarily sad to me is the visciousness in which the left, the Democratic leaders, and black leadership such as rappers along with Jesse Jackson have attacked this president.  They tend to try to politicize every aspect of any tragedy. 

It's time to quit griping and just help.  As a moderate, I'm tired of being labeled 'a conservative'.  As someone who understands that this president's values mirror thoughs which make this the greatest country to live in on the planet, I voted for him.  We needed a strong president during 9/11, and we need a strong president now.  He's proving to be both in these situations.  Any president is up against a huge beauracracy (this would've included Clinton) in trying to take on disasters of this nature.

Unfortunately, with this disaster, the President doesn't appoint a mayor nor a governor of a major city or a state respectively.  The ineptness of the leadership in Louisiana is sickening and is what I feel is the root cause of the problem.  Both complain about anything and everything yet one never sees them helping. 

This president will overcome the challenges of the beauracracy, streamline this system, and will overcome incompetent leaders in the great state of Louisiana.  All of this to the dismay of the left.

Sep 06 05 12:38 pm Link

Model

phoenixbun

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

WEEKLY REVIEW

In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina the United States
declared disasters in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, and
Mississippi. Taken together, the 90,000-square-mile
disaster area would be the twelfth largest
state. Emergencies were declared in Colorado, Georgia,
North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah, and West
Virginia. Eighty percent of New Orleans was flooded after
levees were breached by rising water. "I don't think,"
said President George W. Bush, "anyone anticipated the
breach of the levees." Homeland Security Secretary Michael
Chertoff said the disaster "exceeded the foresight of the
planners, and maybe anybody's foresight." The flooding had
been anticipated by National Geographic magazine,
Scientific American magazine, the Times-Picayune
newspaper, FEMA, and Mr. Bill. Condoleezza Rice attended a
musical in New York City, where she was booed. She also
went shoe shopping. A fellow shopper was thrown out of the
store after yelling "How dare you shop for shoes while
thousands are dying or homeless?" Dick Cheney canceled a
trip to the oil sands of Alberta, Canada, and Senator Bill
Frist called for a permanent repeal to the estate
tax. President Bush decided to end his month-long vacation
two days early and return to Washington, D.C. During his
trip, Air Force One flew low over New Orleans. "This was a
natural disaster," said Bush.

The situation in New Orleans quickly worsened, but little
help appeared. Shelters set up at the Superdome and New
Orleans Convention Center became squalid, hot, and
dangerous. The Louisiana National Guard patrolled the
Superdome with machine guns as flood victims, locked
behind metal barricades, shouted "we need more water."
Cigarettes in the Superdome sold for $10 a pack, and a
brisk market in anti-diuretics, which allowed people to
avoid the overflowing bathrooms, developed. "We are like
animals," said a woman. Shootings, carjackings, and
looting were reported across New Orleans. Thousands of
people, most of them poor, were stranded for several days;
many died waiting for rescue. "Nobody's coming to get us,"
said Aaron Broussard, president of Jefferson parish,
weeping. "For God sakes, shut up and send us somebody."
The effectiveness of FEMA head Mike Brown, who was fired
from his previous job supervising the International
Arabian Horse Association, was called into question after
he repeatedly claimed not to have known the severity of
the storm or the location of several thousand
refugees. "There is way too many fricking . . . cooks in
the kitchen," said New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin. "George
Bush," said rapper Kanye West, "doesn't care about black
people." About 57,000 troops, many assigned to combat
operations, entered the New Orleans area. "This place is
going to look like Little Somalia," said a brigadier
general. The Superdome and Convention Center were finally
evacuated, but evacuees were not allowed to take their
pets with them. "Snowball!" cried a little boy after
police took away his dog. "Snowball!" It was announced
that it could take up to six months for New Orleans to be
pumped out, and another three months for it to
dry. Officials estimated that 10,000 people had been
killed in the flood; about the same number of people
remained in the city. Fifty-five countries offered aid to
the United States. Cuba offered 1,100 doctors, Iran
offered humanitarian aid, China offered $5 million, and
Venezuela offered fuel at a reduced cost. The United
States was performing a "needs assessment" to decide whose
help to accept. Some Christian extremists declared that
the hurricane was punishment by God. "New Orleans now is
free of Southern Decadence," said the pastor of the New
Covenant Fellowship of New Orleans, "and the sodomites,
the witchcraft workers, false religion--it's free of all
of those things now." Many other Christians simply prayed.

In Iraq nearly 1,000 Shiite pilgrims were killed during a
march across the Al-Aaimmah bridge when rumors of a
suicide bomber in the crowd caused a stampede. Most of the
victims were women and children who died from trampling
or, after they fell or jumped into the Tigris River, from
drowning. President Bush declared that U.S. troops needed
to stay in Iraq to keep the country's oil out of the hands
of terrorists. Federal prosecutors accused eight officials
from KPMG and a lawyer of conspiracy for helping wealthy
people evade at least $2.5 billion in taxes, and a man
named Glenn Allen Powell pleaded guilty to taking as much
as $1.25 million in kickbacks in Iraq while working for
Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown & Root. Chief Justice
of the United States William H. Rehnquist died, and
President Bush nominated John G. Roberts, Jr. as a
replacement. Scientists announced that they had created
mice that could regrow amputated extremities, and a plane
crash in Indonesia killed at least 147 people. The Bush
Administration was working on a new set of pollution
controls intended to make it harder to sue power
plants. There was a condom shortage in Uganda; a
U.N. representative attributed the shortage to
restrictions placed on U.S.-provided HIV/AIDS-prevention
funds. Susan Wood, chief of women's health at the FDA,
resigned over the FDA's refusal to allow emergency
contraception to be sold over the counter in spite of
"scientific and clinical evidence, fully evaluated and
recommended by the professional staff here." Up to twelve
more tropical storms were expected through
November. National Preparedness Month began.

-- Paul Ford

Sep 06 05 02:20 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I wanna know one thing...how do you get the funny animated smilies to show up? They're cool.....

Sep 06 05 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
I wanna know one thing...how do you get the funny animated smilies to show up? They're cool.....

Find a site with public domain smileys, copy them to your site (so you don't steal bandwidth) and use the img tag. Instructions for the tag is in Site Discussions under the thread BBCode.

Sep 07 05 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Eddy Torigoe

Boston, Massachusetts, US

for the record, i live in boca raton and i can say that not everyone here is rich.

Sep 07 05 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

jimblast

Dallas, Georgia, US

phoenixbun wrote:
WEEKLY REVIEW

In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina the United States
declared disasters in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, and
Mississippi. Taken together, the 90,000-square-mile
disaster area would be the twelfth largest
state. Emergencies were declared in Colorado, Georgia,
North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah, and West
Virginia. Eighty percent of New Orleans was flooded after
levees were breached by rising water. "I don't think,"
said President George W. Bush, "anyone anticipated the
breach of the levees." Homeland Security Secretary Michael
Chertoff said the disaster "exceeded the foresight of the
planners, and maybe anybody's foresight." The flooding had
been anticipated by National Geographic magazine,
Scientific American magazine, the Times-Picayune
newspaper, FEMA, and Mr. Bill. Condoleezza Rice attended a
musical in New York City, where she was booed. She also
went shoe shopping. A fellow shopper was thrown out of the
store after yelling "How dare you shop for shoes while
thousands are dying or homeless?" Dick Cheney canceled a
trip to the oil sands of Alberta, Canada, and Senator Bill
Frist called for a permanent repeal to the estate
tax. President Bush decided to end his month-long vacation
two days early and return to Washington, D.C. During his
trip, Air Force One flew low over New Orleans. "This was a
natural disaster," said Bush.

The situation in New Orleans quickly worsened, but little
help appeared. Shelters set up at the Superdome and New
Orleans Convention Center became squalid, hot, and
dangerous. The Louisiana National Guard patrolled the
Superdome with machine guns as flood victims, locked
behind metal barricades, shouted "we need more water."
Cigarettes in the Superdome sold for $10 a pack, and a
brisk market in anti-diuretics, which allowed people to
avoid the overflowing bathrooms, developed. "We are like
animals," said a woman. Shootings, carjackings, and
looting were reported across New Orleans. Thousands of
people, most of them poor, were stranded for several days;
many died waiting for rescue. "Nobody's coming to get us,"
said Aaron Broussard, president of Jefferson parish,
weeping. "For God sakes, shut up and send us somebody."
The effectiveness of FEMA head Mike Brown, who was fired
from his previous job supervising the International
Arabian Horse Association, was called into question after
he repeatedly claimed not to have known the severity of
the storm or the location of several thousand
refugees. "There is way too many fricking . . . cooks in
the kitchen," said New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin. "George
Bush," said rapper Kanye West, "doesn't care about black
people." About 57,000 troops, many assigned to combat
operations, entered the New Orleans area. "This place is
going to look like Little Somalia," said a brigadier
general. The Superdome and Convention Center were finally
evacuated, but evacuees were not allowed to take their
pets with them. "Snowball!" cried a little boy after
police took away his dog. "Snowball!" It was announced
that it could take up to six months for New Orleans to be
pumped out, and another three months for it to
dry. Officials estimated that 10,000 people had been
killed in the flood; about the same number of people
remained in the city. Fifty-five countries offered aid to
the United States. Cuba offered 1,100 doctors, Iran
offered humanitarian aid, China offered $5 million, and
Venezuela offered fuel at a reduced cost. The United
States was performing a "needs assessment" to decide whose
help to accept. Some Christian extremists declared that
the hurricane was punishment by God. "New Orleans now is
free of Southern Decadence," said the pastor of the New
Covenant Fellowship of New Orleans, "and the sodomites,
the witchcraft workers, false religion--it's free of all
of those things now." Many other Christians simply prayed.

In Iraq nearly 1,000 Shiite pilgrims were killed during a
march across the Al-Aaimmah bridge when rumors of a
suicide bomber in the crowd caused a stampede. Most of the
victims were women and children who died from trampling
or, after they fell or jumped into the Tigris River, from
drowning. President Bush declared that U.S. troops needed
to stay in Iraq to keep the country's oil out of the hands
of terrorists. Federal prosecutors accused eight officials
from KPMG and a lawyer of conspiracy for helping wealthy
people evade at least $2.5 billion in taxes, and a man
named Glenn Allen Powell pleaded guilty to taking as much
as $1.25 million in kickbacks in Iraq while working for
Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown & Root. Chief Justice
of the United States William H. Rehnquist died, and
President Bush nominated John G. Roberts, Jr. as a
replacement. Scientists announced that they had created
mice that could regrow amputated extremities, and a plane
crash in Indonesia killed at least 147 people. The Bush
Administration was working on a new set of pollution
controls intended to make it harder to sue power
plants. There was a condom shortage in Uganda; a
U.N. representative attributed the shortage to
restrictions placed on U.S.-provided HIV/AIDS-prevention
funds. Susan Wood, chief of women's health at the FDA,
resigned over the FDA's refusal to allow emergency
contraception to be sold over the counter in spite of
"scientific and clinical evidence, fully evaluated and
recommended by the professional staff here." Up to twelve
more tropical storms were expected through
November. National Preparedness Month began.

-- Paul Ford

Phoenix!  I believe we addressed this in another thread and HAMMERED what Mr. Ford wrote.  Bottom line:  Inept Louisiana Governor and inept New Orleans Mayor pretty much caused this debacle.  The Governor was SUPPOSED to contact FEMA before this entire episode.....just another failure on Kathleen Blanco's part.  Now she and the inept mayor are pointing fingers and doing nothing to help.  Let's hope that both are thrown out of office.  To blame Ms. Rice or the Bush Administration for this one is ridiculous.  Again, all this and much much more are outlined not only by myself, but others in the other thread. 

To blame this administration, you'd have to go all the way back to Herbert Hoover and every President since him as well.  The constitution clearly has been amended to give the states first right of authority in disaster preparedness in cases of emergency.  The governor's office in each state must make recommendations to the Fed including FEMA and Homeland Security before action is to take place. 

I apologize for belaboring this point, however that particular article has been posted in two or three other threads including this one.  The author of that article can be compared to Oliver Stone's version of the JFK conspiracy.  Both are dillusional.

Sep 07 05 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Star wrote:
Ok, so I have a job.
My car gets me to work
My Uncle's books...
everything...

With one bag...

DON'T
FUCKING
EVER

Always blame the victim of a 15-35 mile per hour cat 4 hurricane for not attempting to get out of town.  It is there fault first!  Well...after God!
Blame/Responsibility Chart!
GOD
     You
          Your Family
               Your Friends
                    Your local government
                         Your state government
                              Your federal government
                                   The President of the United States, Congress, Your

I have had to pack everything that would fit in a Honda Accord and bug-out of a Hurricane zone before (actually twice).  You plan ahead of time!  That way you can take more than $25 and one bag!  If you don't plan ahead of time it is your own fault.  Being poor is not an excuse for being irresponsible....ESPECIALY if you have children.  The people who could have left and did not played fast an loose with the lives of their children and the rescue workers who came in to save them.  Not to mention fast and loose with our/my/your money.

Sep 07 05 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

bencook2 wrote:
Always blame the victim of a 15-35 mile per hour cat 4 hurricane for not attempting to get out of town.  It is there fault first!  Well...after God!
Blame/Responsibility Chart!
GOD
     You
          Your Family
               Your Friends
                    Your local government
                         Your state government
                              Your federal government
                                   The President of the United States, Congress, Your

I have had to pack everything that would fit in a Honda Accord and bug-out of a Hurricane zone before (actually twice).  You plan ahead of time!  That way you can take more than $25 and one bag!  If you don't plan ahead of time it is your own fault.  Being poor is not an excuse for being irresponsible....ESPECIALY if you have children.  The people who could have left and did not played fast an loose with the lives of their children and the rescue workers who came in to save them.  Not to mention fast and loose with our/my/your money.

http://www.fema.gov/library/speech_brown04082004.shtm

Come on....  I'm sure all the blame doesn't fall on the people....  Now does it?  wink~

And BTW EVERYBODY in N.O. got screwed over in this one too....  And it's just begun....  The Government apparently is siding with Katrina on this one - they don't care who or what you are...

Sep 07 05 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

http://www.fema.gov/library/speech_brown04082004.shtm

Come on....  I'm sure all the blame doesn't fall on the people....  Now does it?  wink~

And BTW EVERYBODY in N.O. got screwed over in this one too....  And it's just begun....  The Government apparently is siding with Katrina on this one - they don't care who or what you are...

Absolutly not!  All the blame does not fall on the people.  They are just getting the least attention in the "blame game" and Bush gets the most.  Reverse that and you get a little closer to who is to "blame".  Basicly start at the top of my list and go down...asigning a little blame as you go.  If you have an left when you get to Bush...give him some too!  But, to put blame the president is crazy... for all of the MANY things that went wrong...that's nuts.

Sep 07 05 08:57 pm Link