Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Race, modeling and Americas choices.

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Many of you have noticed that those hurt most by
this natural disaster have been the poor, old and
lets face it Black.  Some of this was due to where
and how we live and some due to a government that
has less value for its darker people.
I'm not saying that most Americains hate or fear us
they just don't value us, unless you can throw
a football or play basketball or tennis
I would say golf but Tiger doesn't quite count.
Singing or dancing gets you lots of love
acting too maybe modeling but regular
Black folks?  Black folks stealling were
called looters.  White folks were called
resoucefull.  Which gets me to this,
unless we take a real true look as a people
at how we are shown on T.V. in magazines, news and
videos unless we (insert Black folks now)
truly face a culture which values no education,
gangsters and getting rich or die trying.
We will all suffer.  That includes those
Americians who don't value us.
No soap box I'm not an expert.

Sep 04 05 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

why does everything have to turn into a black and white issue?

Sep 04 05 06:00 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Visual Mindscapes wrote:

Because Visual Mindscapes  IT IS.  Until those that block based on race whether black or white are removed or enlightened it is what it is.  While I agree we all should be evaluated on skill the reality is in many sectors it is skin color.

Love it or hate  that is American folks but that doesn't mean everyone behaves in such backward manner.

Sep 04 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Excellent reply.
Race and poverty seem to have played
a big part in New Orleans.
Intresting its mostly White folks
who ask 'why is race a problem?'
or 'why is everything a Black and White issue?'
Untill you live it you don't really know it.
Aye provide.  Nice photos...

Sep 04 05 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

aye provide wrote:

Because Visual Mindscapes  IT IS.  Until those that block based on race whether black or white are removed or enlightened it is what it is.  While I agree we all should be evaluated on skill the reality is in many sectors it is skin color.

Love it or hate  that is American folks but that doesn't mean everyone behaves in such backward manner.

what'd they use to say back when?
oh yea, 'racism is as american as apple pie.'
as a white guy i know ive enjoyed breaks and benefits i might not have if i looked black, mexican, or you name it.
denial is central to the disease of racism.
a lot of white people i know swear it's a trumped up figment of other people's imagination. i disagree, but i believe folks who say that honestly think it's true.

maybe i'd see things just like they do except for a twist of fate that sent me to nigeria for several months when i was 19. i was really really surprised, because i expected a lot of bad vibes for being white in a totally black country, and one that had been a brit colony until 1960 at that.

what i found? nothing. i was a curiosity in the smaller villages, but everywhere else people were just plain friendly to me. i've never thought about race relations the same since then because i knew that any of my nigerian friends would face problems everyday if they came to visit america.

it's sad. this bs has been going on forever and it's way past time to change for the better. i wish i had the answer. i wish anybody had the answer.

Sep 04 05 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

NV Style Group

Houston, Alaska, US

Visual Mindscapes wrote:

Because it is!!!

If you don't know about Louisiana then you dont know nothing about how black people are treated there, I talked to a victim of Katrina the other day and she told me that white people here in Houston are extremely nicer than those in New Orleans, she said that white people there treat poor black people like dirt and talk to them crazy....I'm from Louisiana so I know how they are, one thing I can say about Louisiana white folk they got NUTS, they will call you a N*GGA to your damn face and fight your azz too!!!! And I have witness this...
Going to New Orleans is like a time warp, things are totally different, the first time I went I had a culture shock, I wasnt used to being treated like a 2nd class citizen, I havent been back since.

But it will always be about race, no matter how you try and sugar coat it...people just dont want to face, they think we live in this world of peace and harmony and no hate, but it will never be that way especially in the south.......research Vidor Texas and see how many blk people live there....NONE.....thx to the Klan

Sep 04 05 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

qphotonyc wrote:

This is one of the best comments on race i've heard in my life.  Thank you.

Sep 04 05 07:21 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

And  lets get real folks  a dead black man in Texas courtesy of drivers, rope, and a pick up truck  should remind us racism is not dead.

Sep 04 05 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

NV Style Group

Houston, Alaska, US

aye provide wrote:
And  lets get real folks  a dead black man in Texas courtesy of drivers, rope, and a pick up truck  should remind us racism is not dead.

Amen

That James Bryd thing really made the south look bad.....especially since it went nationwide, anytime something like that gets national coverage, and the president has something to say about it you know its bad!!!

Sep 04 05 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

NV Style Group wrote:

Because it is!!!

...(snipped)...

But it will always be about race, no matter how you try and sugar coat it...people just dont want to face, they think we live in this world of peace and harmony and no hate, but it will never be that way especially in the south.......research Vidor Texas and see how many blk people live there....NONE.....thx to the Klan

I guess, what VM is trying to say, when it comes to racism, it's not just a black and white issue. If that's what he's saying, then I agree. But, I understand how the disaster in our Gulf region is going to cause people to turn it into a black and white issue.

I'm mixed Filipino and Spanish (looks more Spanish) and I can tell you a lot of things I've seen on the streets and in hallways of Corporate America and Academia on the West Coast that could rewrite some text books on racism and prejudice. Believe me, the KKK and Black Panthers in our country's history would be sharing their spotlights.

Classism. It's a word people should get to know and understand a lot better than racism. Classism exists everywhere. Even among families both traditional and non-traditional.

I think Classism is a dirty word as much as Racism is, if not more, because it's sneakier than Racism. Most people won't even know they were a victim of Classism. That's how bad (and clever), it is.

Sep 04 05 07:46 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

https://www.upstandingfuckingcitizens.org/thatsracist.gif

Sorry but its true.

Sep 04 05 07:51 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

THANK YOU Sarah  you see what people are talking about.

Joe....yes classism is a nasty word  but please do not try to use it to wash away racism.

Sep 04 05 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

GREAT response!
Nothing gets better by ignoring the problem.
If you have a bad tooth you can ignore it
for a while but...
That motherf&%% will remind you, you've got
a problem.  Fix it.
The 60's was a great time for change.
People everywhere were looking for answers.
The songs were about love, peace and equality
now its back that booty up bit%$
What we need is more work toward a common
goal.  Lets not let another New Orleans happen.
Nature can be cruel men should not.
Hey Q if you're out there.
Stop shooting some damm well.

Sep 04 05 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Model Sarah wrote:

Sorry but its true.

https://www.rockofagescandy.com/STDCandyBars/Products/Kudos.gif

Sep 04 05 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Pitaru

Denver, Colorado, US

I was wondering how long will it take for a modeling site to be turned into a forum for racial propaganda. Why do we even talk stuff like this here? I honestlly believe that you- the one who started this thread- either have nothing better to do either enjoy victimization. I am on neither sides but to be honest I am in the US for about 1 year and I am already sick and tired of hearing people complaining about racial issues. Get over it, there is no discrimination unless you are paranoid and obsessed with it. People who start threads like these are the root of all problems and racial fights. Anyways, being tired of all this crap, I am going back home in Europe!! yayyy

Sep 04 05 11:41 pm Link

Model

Chu

All I can say is Karma wasn't a figment of someone's imagination, for all of you wanting to help contact your local Red Cross-it could have been you that someone this bad or worse could have happened to, and you never know what you might need help with in the future.

Sep 04 05 11:56 pm Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Visual Mindscapes wrote:

Because it is. Louisiana is one of the most racist places I have ever lived.... ever.
Walker, Louisiana is the KKK headquarter of the world... just a not-so-fun little fact.

Sep 05 05 12:10 am Link

Photographer

studiomona

So there you have it, folks. A house divided. Is there an end to it?

Back to you, Don.

Let's go for a station break.

Sep 05 05 12:12 am Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

NV Style Group wrote:

Because it is!!!

I'm from Louisiana so I know how they are, one thing I can say about Louisiana white folk they got NUTS,

This statement is not right. Does this statement sound like more race segregation to anyone else? "How THEY are"....? "White folk they go NUTS".....?

The door swings both ways. Ive had many racial slurrs towards me from black people here in Louisiana too. I dont understand it, because I dont see color. We are all pink inside. I treat everyone the same.

Sep 05 05 12:21 am Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Pitaru wrote:
Get over it, there is no discrimination unless you are paranoid and obsessed with it.

Thats bullshit. Come live here in Mangham, Louisiana... and then tell me there is no such thing as discimination.
If you are so against this thread, then why did you post here?

Sep 05 05 12:24 am Link

Photographer

studiomona

Jordan wrote:
This statement is not right. Does this statement sound like more race segregation to anyone else? "How THEY are"....? "White folk they go NUTS".....?

The door swings both ways. Ive had many racial slurrs towards me from black people here in Louisiana too. I dont understand it, because I dont see color. We are all pink inside. I treat everyone the same.

I am like you, Jordan, I don't see the color of the skin, either.

Sep 05 05 12:24 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Intresting its mostly White folks who ask 'why is race a problem?' or 'why is everything a Black and White issue?'

Well I'm neither black or white, so I could give a shit.  I've had my share of racism towards me, but it doesn't stop me from living my life.

What else do you expect our country to do to help out the victims of the hurricane?  They could only do so much and to say that it's racism is stupid.  It's all the media behind everything.

Sep 05 05 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hmmm.
See what I mean.  This is an open forum
but a white model says hey why do
we have to talk about race????
Why because where she comes from its
not an issue.  Why because she doesn't
have that nagging thought when she doesn't
get a job it wasn't because she wasn't good
enough but maybe they didn't need anymore
sisters. 
Yes, many Black folks have chosen to remaim
victims I'll grant you that and many times
when we see race as a factor it isn't but to
say race isn't a problem and that things are
rosy is just hiding your head in the sand.
However like the bad tooth ignore it.
It won't get any better and when it gets
bad enough all the pain killers in the world
won't make a difference.
last point.
I try to not take things personally so
please attack my postion but not me.

Sep 05 05 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Mister B

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I think SouthPark said it best with episode 401 about race.

Prosecutor: Mr. Cartman, do you know a boy by the name of "Token?"

Cartman: Uh, yes?

Prosecutor: Who is Token? 

Cartman: He's a black kid that goes to my school? 

Prosecutor: Black! [gets animated] Did you say black?! You called him black?! 

Cartman: He is black.

Prosecutor: O! He said it again! [the audience gasps] He is African-American, and so you decided to pick him out! 

Cartman: I did? 

Prosecutor: The rage built and built inside your head until it became too much because you hate African-Americans!! 

Cartman: No! I hate hippies! 

Prosecutor: What?! 

Cartman: I hate hippies! I mean, the way they always talk about "protectin' the earth" and then drive around in cars that get poor gas mileage and wear those stupid bracelets - I hate 'em! I wanna kick 'em in the nuts!

Prosecutor: Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this is why we have hate-crime laws! This "monster" commited a crime—not against an individual, but against a race! Do the democratic thing and send his fat little butt to prison!

Sep 05 05 01:15 am Link

Photographer

studiomona

Mister B wrote:

Prosecutor: O! He said it again! [the audience gasps] He is African-American, and so you decided to pick him out! 

Prosecutor: The rage built and built inside your head until it became too much because you hate African-Americans!! 

Cartman: I hate hippies! I mean, the way they always talk about "protectin' the earth" and then drive around in cars that get poor gas mileage and wear those stupid bracelets - I hate 'em! I wanna kick 'em in the nuts!

Prosecutor: Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this is why we have hate-crime laws! This "monster" commited a crime—not against an individual, but against a race! Do the democratic thing and send his fat little butt to prison!

awwwww... lol. my 3 yr old niece called my hubby "fat" lol....kids ....whatcha gonna do with them eh?

Sep 05 05 01:24 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I also heard that Louisiana is the top 3 most corrupt government... I think it shows in the excuses they made on those that were left in the ruins of the city : (

Sep 05 05 02:30 am Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Pitaru wrote:
I was wondering how long will it take for a modeling site to be turned into a forum for racial propaganda. Why do we even talk stuff like this here? I honestlly believe that you- the one who started this thread- either have nothing better to do either enjoy victimization. I am on neither sides but to be honest I am in the US for about 1 year and I am already sick and tired of hearing people complaining about racial issues. Get over it, there is no discrimination unless you are paranoid and obsessed with it. People who start threads like these are the root of all problems and racial fights. Anyways, being tired of all this crap, I am going back home in Europe!! yayyy

Are you counting down the days until you board your plane?  I hope so, it quite honestly is a horrid shame for for one like you to remain in an area where where such distaseful converations are just spewed out.

Sep 05 05 03:45 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Visual Mindscapes wrote:

Because some people are more comfortable being victims rather than taking responsibility for themselves.

Sep 05 05 03:49 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

Because some people are more comfortable being victims rather than taking responsibility for themselves.

So in a black white issue, who is the victim and who is taking responsibility for themself?

Sep 05 05 03:52 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Some of this was due to where

Sigh.

Sep 05 05 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Let me pose a question.
Lets say you felt ill.
You go to a doctor but he
says I can't find anything wrong
so you are not sick.
Get what I mean.  You feel bad but
because he decided you aren't sick you have
no reason to be ill.  Its all in your head.
Its imagined and made up.
Get it?
Because a all knowing second person
decides there are no problems with you.
You are making it all up.
This is kind of what has happened in
America.  Many White folks have decided
there is nothing wrong so there can't be.
Shooting at a unarmed Black man in
Harlem 41 times.  Just a accident.
Dragging a black man down a street
in jaspur, Texas.  Just guys being silly.
The lynchings in the south , north
and west that happened as
late as the 1960's just missunderstandings.
The KKK and other hate groups?
Just large social clubs.
See there you have it because
White folks say we don't have a
problem Black people, don't.
Now go get a job get off walfare
and stop having out of wedlock kids.

Sep 05 05 09:50 am Link

Photographer

studiomona

Visual Mindscapes wrote:

Dunno about you but I use Nik Color Efex Pro 2.0 b &w conversion filter(s) and/or Photoshop to turn color  images to black and white:) That is, if I didn't shoot with Ilford XP2 400 Super. smile

Sep 05 05 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Mister B wrote:

The creators of South Park definately have an edgy way of illustrating the rediculous things people get themselves worked up over.

Sep 05 05 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Sorry but its true.

It's from 2 different sources... So it's 2 different people commenting... The one with the white people is actually more correct for the fact of that is being resourceful, and in that same regard the person who calls it looting is also correct (not because of the people being black or white. They were technically looting, but they were also being resourceful to survive).

I do agree there is a lot of racism in this country, but this is still not one of the best ways of showing it.

Sep 05 05 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

KM von Seidl wrote:

So in a black white issue, who is the victim and who is taking responsibility for themself?

The great thing about this county is that if you really are worth something, NO ONE can hold you back.  Everyone faces descrimination at some point.  Some more than others.

It's up to you to work around it.  We have black 5-start generals.  One even served as Secretary of State.  Oh wait, that's TWO now and the current is a woman!!  There's a black man on the SUPREME COURT!!  I bet there are some that even own their own companies.  I bet there are those that own their own companies and descriminate against non-blacks.

My high school was predominately hispanic.  I was cut from the baseball team my Junior year.  Was it because I'm white or because I wasn't quite good enough?  Cause there were players on the team that I WAS better than.  Or is that just MY opinion?

Sep 05 05 10:53 am Link

Photographer

studiomona

DigitalCMH wrote:
The creators of South Park definately have an edgy way of illustrating the rediculous things people get themselves worked up over.

That's Entertainment
Tony Bennett
(Howard Deitz/Arthur Schwartz)

Everything that happens in life
Can happen in a show
You can make 'em laugh
You can make 'em cry
Anything
Anything can go....

The clown with his pants falling down or the dance that's a dream of romance
Or the scene where the villain is mean.
That's entertainment!

The lights on the lady in tights or the bride with a guy on the side,
Or the ball where she gives him her all.
That's entertainment!

The plot can be hot, simply teeming with sex,
a gay divorcee who is after her "ex".
It can be Oedipus Rex, where a chap kills his father
and causes a lot of bother.
The clerk who is thrown out of work by the boss,
Who is thrown for a loss by the skirt who is doing him dirt.
The world is a stage, the stage is a world of entertainment.

I've always liked this song:)

Sep 05 05 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Now go get a job get off walfare
and stop having out of wedlock kids.

Are you suggesting racism is the cause of pregnancy out of wedlock?  How does racism cause welfare?  And remember, there are a LOT of crappy white people doing both of those too.

There used to be a LOT more racism...so as racism has gone down, out of wedlock pregnancies has gone up.

Sep 05 05 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Many of you have noticed that those hurt most by
this natural disaster have been the poor, old and
lets face it Black.  Some of this was due to where
I'm not saying that most Americains hate or fear us
they just don't value us, unless you can throw
a football or play basketball or tennis
I would say golf but Tiger doesn't quite count.
Singing or dancing gets you lots of love
acting too maybe modeling but regular
Black folks?  Black folks stealling were
called looters.  White folks were called
resoucefull.  Which gets me to this,
unless we take a real true look as a people
at how we are shown on T.V. in magazines, news and
videos unless we (insert Black folks now)
truly face a culture which values no education,
gangsters and getting rich or die trying.
We will all suffer.  That includes those
Americians who don't value us.
No soap box I'm not an expert.

I agree with you, and I am white.

There is a difference in the way all people of color are treated. I think is will take at least another hundred years, or maybe even longer,  for a lot of changes to take place. I do not have any quick fixes to offer.

Sep 05 05 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

We have black 5-start generals.

Oh really..........name one.

Sep 05 05 11:24 am Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

The great thing about this county is that if you really are worth something, NO ONE can hold you back.  Everyone faces descrimination at some point.  Some more than others.

It's up to you to work around it.  We have black 5-start generals.  One even served as Secretary of State.  Oh wait, that's TWO now and the current is a woman!!  There's a black man on the SUPREME COURT!!  I bet there are some that even own their own companies.  I bet there are those that own their own companies and descriminate against non-blacks.

My high school was predominately hispanic.  I was cut from the baseball team my Junior year.  Was it because I'm white or because I wasn't quite good enough?  Cause there were players on the team that I WAS better than.  Or is that just MY opinion?

Yes racism happens in reverse and I have EVEN LESS tolerance for that. I wish wish wish people would be evaluated on the character and the skill not the apperance.

Sep 05 05 11:30 am Link