Forums > Model Colloquy > Why do short models insist of doin Runway?

Model

Jessie-Lynne

Chicago, Illinois, US

THIS TOPIC IS LIKE BEATING A DEAD HORSE..

Do these topics ever end? Seriously.

May 31 07 12:28 pm Link

Model

Amanda Dancer

Omaha, Nebraska, US

I am a designer as well as a model.  I am only 5'2" and have been in a runway show.  Only, it was for my school.  I couldn't do runway if I wanted to.  I can walk, yes, but in order for the clothes to be proportionate on a body, the model has to be taller.  There are runway models that are as short as 5'4" but that is a rare case.  5'6" is a little more popular, but taller is prefered.  Since designers go by set measurements when preparing for a runway show.  They will fit the garment to a model, but what is the use if you already have made the garment and you have to take off 5 inches in order to make it work on the model?  If a designer were to do that, then they have to take into consideration the manipulation of the whole garment in order to acheive the same affect as a taller model.  If the designer took a different approach and fit and designed all apparel for short models in a runway show, maybe they could work but in a classic setting for runway, this could be challenging for people farther away.  Then again, we all have been to concerts, theatrical shows and various other shows where it wasn't always easy to see without binoculars!

Either way, the shorter models will not get great jobs because of this unfortunate but valid reason.  So in all reality, it shouldn't be anything to frustrate yourself with.

May 31 07 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

Amanda Atkinson wrote:
I am a designer as well as a model.  I am only 5'2" and have been in a runway show.  Only, it was for my school.  I couldn't do runway if I wanted to.  I can walk, yes, but in order for the clothes to be proportionate on a body, the model has to be taller.  There are runway models that are as short as 5'4" but that is a rare case.  5'6" is a little more popular, but taller is prefered.  Since designers go by set measurements when preparing for a runway show.  They will fit the garment to a model, but what is the use if you already have made the garment and you have to take off 5 inches in order to make it work on the model?  If a designer were to do that, then they have to take into consideration the manipulation of the whole garment in order to acheive the same affect as a taller model.  If the designer took a different approach and fit and designed all apparel for short models in a runway show, maybe they could work but in a classic setting for runway, this could be challenging for people farther away.  Then again, we all have been to concerts, theatrical shows and various other shows where it wasn't always easy to see without binoculars!

Either way, the shorter models will not get great jobs because of this unfortunate but valid reason.  So in all reality, it shouldn't be anything to frustrate yourself with.

But what about those runway shows in nightclubs where the fashion consist of tight fitting boy shorts and torn wife beaters with some sequin on them? Those are not height sensitive.

May 31 07 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Los Angeles, California, US

PYPI wrote:

But what about those runway shows in nightclubs where the fashion consist of tight fitting boy shorts and torn wife beaters with some sequin on them? Those are not height sensitive.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STOP IT YOU'RE KILLING ME!!!

May 31 07 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Vance wrote:
Not to the thread it isnt..YOU DID READ THE ENTIRE THREAD RIGHT?

Bianca wrote:
Yes i did read the the tread, but people are making comparisons that are not needed waht has siging got to do with modelling? I didnt say anything about Giselle's sucess i was stating that he is short but still is a brilliant fashion model.

Hi Bianca;

I won't pick on you, because I am a fan of yours... wink

HOWEVER... it appears that you do not know the difference between a high fashion runway model, a fashion model and glamor model and especially not about the fine distinctions of other "fringe" modeling types.

You mix 'em all together.

Giselle is a fantastic model, but guess what... she found her own niche and will never attempt to walk the runway for Anna Sui, right after Naomi opens the show...

She maybe able to get tear sheets for editorials, or cosmetics or whatever, but not be a high fashion runway model.

The comparison about "singing" or "NBA" is a suitable comparison because it shows that you have to have certain qualifications to enter a certain league.

Heck... staying with that... I wish I could sing like Pavarotti, but if I'd even remotely try to approach Juliard to even get basic singing training, they may obtain a restraining order against me because I have so no talent for singing. No matter how much I want it... you need a recognizable talent and physical ability, e.g. having vocal cords that can hold a tune... or being a slender 5'9" with striking features to walk the runway.

I've written an article once, called Modeling Success: RESEARCH which addresses the issue of models trying to find what they are suited for, finding their niche market and excelling in that one... just like Giselle did!

May 31 07 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Thuy Anh wrote:
I'm thinking that the OP is complaining about short models wanting to do MAJOR runway shows like at LA or Olympus Fashion Week when they will never be able to do it because of their height and that no major agency will sign them because of it.  Not smaller runway shows.

JenMon wrote:
I'm not talking about local work, I'm going for the big time. And quit your petty jiding, it's soooooooooooo old, you have no idea. You sound like old women. Like you think your coming up with new insults, but you're not.

Since you are absolutely unqualified to walk for the big time that Thuy talked about... why don't you give us your definition of what the big time is!

We may have completely different terms for it.

May 31 07 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

James Bluck wrote:
Why do bad photographers insist on taking pictures?

Because I can!

That's my story and I am sticking to it!!! neutral

May 31 07 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

PYPI wrote:
Safe to say that when most girls dream of doing runway, they are dreaming of walking in Bryant Park for Michael Kors or Zac Posen. I don't think their dreams of runway involve walking for a local designer at a nightclub with half drunk patrons yelling for the models to show more booty.

EXCELLENT!!!

Well said Patrick!

May 31 07 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

okbyme wrote:
Don't you people have ANYTHING better to do than agrue this?

There's better things to do than arguing about this??? yikes

May 31 07 01:16 pm Link

Model

Joyeme

San Diego, California, US

Im six feet tall, but I cant walk the runway because Im not skinny enough, but It would be unhealthy to drop 20 pounds, so Ive moved on. Just my 2 cents.

May 31 07 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Lucas Chapman

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

JenMon wrote:
It's really not something to get into a tizzy about, why get all bothered when someone shorter than average grabs an opportunity to do runway? Good for them and let them have the experience. It's all about the law of attraction. I'm quite "short", 5'6" and have done runway, only because people on modelmayhem told me to forget about it. I never really cared about runway, but I wanted to prove something so I did, and it can be done.

A "runway" show in a bar is quite different than the REAL world of high fashion.
After watching this thread, and those where sorry.. fat girls think they can be "plus size" models, it seems best to just let them go about their business, so they can fail and fall dead on there asses.  No point in trying to save them the heartache I guess.
So, borrowing a line from my bud Dr. Phil,  "How's that workin for ya?"

May 31 07 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Tom Huynh wrote:
5'6" + 4 inch heels = 5'10. That's a perfect height for runway. I have been to plenty of fashion shows, and involved with a lot of the productions, and the best walkers that I have seen are the shorter models.

Please... and the remaining 5'10" models either walk barefoot to accomodate the5'6" model or they too wear the 4" heel and now the 5'10" are now all 6'2".

The OP and many of the shorties are talking about high fashion runway as it's done in NYC and not in local markets.

May 31 07 01:27 pm Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

https://devonaoki.free.fr/detour/aw_02_03/blumarine/bluaw036.jpg

from a 2002 blumarine show-see the little model-she was a top model at 5'5/5'6
walked the runway for many designers for about 5yrs-i think.
devon aoki

May 31 07 01:29 pm Link

Model

L57

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

UdoR wrote:

Please... and the remaining 5'10" models either walk barefoot to accomodate the5'6" model or they too wear the 4" heel and now the 5'10" are now all 6'2".

The OP and many of the shorties are talking about high fashion runway as it's done in NYC and not in local markets.

this actually reminds me of something that has confused me for a little.  When there are shows with guys and girls mixed and the guys are about 6-6'2 and the girls are 5'9-6' but then wearing heals won't that make the girls look taller?

May 31 07 01:32 pm Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

pamela mars wrote:

devon aoki

Sigh.. now someone is pulling Devon Aoki's card..

I dont think all short model's dad owns Benihana and mom have a jewelry line.

just sayin

May 31 07 01:42 pm Link

Model

Joyeme

Lestari wrote:
I dont think all short model's dad owns Benihana.

lol, good point.

May 31 07 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

UdoR wrote:

There's better things to do than arguing about this??? yikes

i thought painting my studios walls was something better to do apparantely not,so that is why i'm still posting

May 31 07 01:43 pm Link

Model

SWEETFACELA

LOL!! I'm running behind schedule for my roadtrip....Alas depending on others to come on!!

May 31 07 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Imajin Studios

UdoR wrote:

Please... and the remaining 5'10" models either walk barefoot to accomodate the5'6" model or they too wear the 4" heel and now the 5'10" are now all 6'2"

i'd pay to see that taller models not wearing heels to compensate the height of the shorter models, thats a good one UdOR>>>>SMILES

May 31 07 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

pamela mars wrote:

devon aoki

While it is extremely hard to be a runway model. It is impossible to choose your parents. So yes, if you're father is Tommy Hilfiger or if your dad is the owner of IMG, then you can be on the runway regardless of height.

May 31 07 01:47 pm Link

Model

Joyeme

PYPI wrote:
While it is extremely hard to be a runway model. It is impossible to choose your parents. So yes, if you're father is Tommy Hilfiger or if your dad is the owner of IMG, then you can be on the runway regardless of height.

...thanks for nothing Dad...

May 31 07 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

How long before someone cites Tila Tequila as a successful model?

Model

SWEETFACELA

J Moli wrote:

bwahahahhaha!!!

Model

Tiara Lestari

PYPI wrote:

lol

your answer and mine are pretty similar about Devon!

May 31 07 01:52 pm Link

Model

SWEETFACELA

PYPI wrote:

She is a high fashion model big_smile Wearing....next to...nothing...if .... anything...sometimes...well..hell ... maybe she's just a singer.

May 31 07 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

Lestari wrote:

lol

your answer and mine are pretty similar about Devon!

Yes, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop on "Kate's Law"

May 31 07 01:53 pm Link

Model

Joyeme

SWEETFACELA wrote:
... maybe she's just a singer.

has anyone actually heard her sing?

May 31 07 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

J Moli wrote:

Looking at your port, I would say you come from pretty good stock.

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

https://www.katefan.net/gallery/albums/albums/runway/runway95.JPG

https://www.katefan.net/gallery/albums/albums/runway/runway57.JPG

https://www.katefan.net/gallery/albums/albums/runway/runway130.JPG

better example then.......kate moss.
her agencies have claimed she's 5'8, it's been reported that her actual height range is 5'4-5'6

Model

Tiara Lestari

pamela mars wrote:
her agencies have claimed she's 5'8, it's been reported that her actual height range is 5'4-5'6

OHMIGOD>. Pat.. pull out your Kate Moss law!

May 31 07 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

pamela mars wrote:

You should try reading some posts beyond the first post.

May 31 07 01:56 pm Link

Model

Jessie-Lynne

Chicago, Illinois, US

SWEETFACELA wrote:

She is a high fashion model big_smile Wearing....next to...nothing...if .... anything...sometimes...well..hell ... maybe she's just a singer.

if by sing.. you mean attempting to sing.. she can't sing for SHIT.. She really must be thankful for pro-tools and auto tune.

May 31 07 01:57 pm Link

Model

SWEETFACELA

J Moli wrote:

has anyone actually heard her sing?

Um..... no

May 31 07 01:58 pm Link

Model

Jessie-Lynne

Chicago, Illinois, US

pamela mars wrote:
https://www.katefan.net/gallery/albums/albums/runway/runway95.JPG

https://www.katefan.net/gallery/albums/albums/runway/runway57.JPG

https://www.katefan.net/gallery/albums/albums/runway/runway130.JPG

Thats because her agency signed her at a young age and had expected her to grow some.. Her situation is just a fluke in the industry.. Personally I think the last image her body looks disproportional because of her height and that dress isn't flattering on her one bit.

May 31 07 01:59 pm Link

Model

SWEETFACELA

Jessie Lynne wrote:

if by sing.. you mean attempting to sing.. she can't sing for SHIT.. She really must be thankful for pro-tools and auto tune.

Well shat, we know who she is so SOMETHING is workin!

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

Lestari wrote:

OHMIGOD>. Pat.. pull out your Kate Moss law!

Alright. Just for the late arrivals who are too lazy to read beyond the first page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate%27s_Law

Model

SWEETFACELA

Jessie Lynne wrote:

Thats because her agency signed her at a young age and had expected her to grow some.. Her situation is just a fluke in the industry..

Well fluke or not she's doin' the damn thang! big_smile

Model

Joyeme

PYPI wrote:

Looking at your port, I would say you come from pretty good stock.

well thank you...big_smile. The folks did alright.

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

PYPI wrote:

You should try reading some posts beyond the first post.

no

Model

Joyeme

SWEETFACELA wrote:

Um..... no

lmao..

May 31 07 02:00 pm Link