Forums > General Industry > Photographers snide remarks

Photographer

Eric Jackson

Dayton, Ohio, US

Can't help but notice some of the replies in the models portfolios. I'ts disturbing to see photographers making rude, unprofessional comments about a models physical attributes. Some male models are making the same comments.  Please lets keep this site clean and professional, and make it above board to the rest of the modeling forums.   

May 15 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

LaMarco

Berwick, Maine, US

Eric, I cannot agree more. I thoguht since I was not a pro maybe thats how talent wanted to be treated and talked to. smile Glad to see you post this.

May 15 05 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

I agree completely.

May 15 05 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Eric Jackson: 
Please lets keep this site clean and professional, and make it above board to the rest of the modeling forums.   

It would have been nice.  :-)

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I couldn't agree more.  Glad you said something Eric.

Photographer

AG Photo

Easton, Pennsylvania, US

I agree with you, Eric...wholeheartedly.

But we may not hear from too many models, they may be afraid they're going to annoy potential photographers, despite their comments.

A shame.

May 15 05 06:02 pm Link

Model

Lexi Lithium

Tampa, Florida, US

I've had this problem personaly before. The photographer was actualy agressive about his tactics to make me see things his way in his verbal assualt upon me.

May 15 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

As others have said, I too agree with you Eric..  But sometimes I wonder if the models actually take offense. I mean, how many girls, model or not, do you know that are hanging out with, dating or married to some real prick. Meanwhile, some guy that treats them with respect, kindness and all that other stuff in the Golden Rule, gets blown off..

I know I have several female friends that always seem to go back to these types. So, maybe we're just more sensitive to politeness and the girls really like the less than cultured comments.  Hope some reply so we can hear both sides of the story...

May 15 05 06:13 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

If I have any problems with any comments, I simply remove the comment/image/whatever to satisfy myself.  Some negative comments can be helpful yet others can just be crude.  Hey...in this industry, you have to learn to not take anything personally !!!

May 15 05 06:21 pm Link

Model

sarahlouise

London, England, United Kingdom

I kind of agree, it depends how far it's taken. I do like how light hearted the site is and it's nice to see the personalities behind the faces, sometimes the comments are entirely jovial or sincere but trivialised and to me thats fine. Although on some portfolios I have seen some really unprofessional comments. I think theres a line and sometimes it is crossed on here.

May 15 05 06:22 pm Link

Model

Jin

That line is crossed everywhere you go.  Sure, I might take cheap in the chat room and the shout box but when it comes to image comments, I keep them professional.  One thing that bugs me is when a photographer uses words such as... hot, damn, nice ass, etc... it really irritates me.  That's so unprofessional to me.  There are other ways of saying "you have a nice ass".  lol  Seriously though, some people just don't know how to make comments.  I really hate how people say a model shouldn't be modeling.  I feel like saying...well, your work sucks and you shouldn't be photographing !!!  LOL  Grrr...people really irritate me !!!

May 15 05 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Eric Jackson: 
I'ts disturbing to see photographers making rude, unprofessional comments about a models physical attributes. 

If a girl is showing off her boobies or her butt cheeks are hanging out of her shorts, what do you expect us to say?  Nice shoes?

How about, nice personality?  I would love to work with you!

May 15 05 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Jackson

Dayton, Ohio, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

Posted by Eric Jackson: 
I'ts disturbing to see photographers making rude, unprofessional comments about a models physical attributes. 

If a girl is showing off her boobies or her butt cheeks are hanging out of her shorts, what do you expect us to say?  Nice shoes?

I'm sorry but that doesn't make it ok. I'ts all about respect. Call me old fashioned if you like

May 15 05 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Eric Jackson: 
I'm sorry but that doesn't make it ok. I'ts all about respect. Call me old fashioned if you like

Some people can get away with it and some people can't.

May 15 05 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Posted by Eric Jackson: 

I agree with Eric.  It is about respect, and such comments are disrespectful to the model.  Those are the comments you'd more likely to hear in a strip club.  I hve nothing against strip clubs, only the way jerks treat the dancers and waitresses that work there.

May 15 05 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Aperture Photographics: 
I agree with Eric.  It is about respect, and such comments are disrespectful to the model.  Those are the comments you'd more likely to hear in a strip club.  I hve nothing against strip clubs, only the way jerks treat the dancers and waitresses that work there.

You guys are just way too nice.  I respect that.

smile

or maybe I just...

A.  Read the Maxim Magazine editorials one too many times.

B.  Watched one too many episodes of the Man Show.

C.  Listened to Howard Stern on late night radio one too many times.

D.  Worked in the nightclubs one too many times were models/gogo dancers/hot chicks are used to having guys compliment thier bums and if we don't, they get mad.

E.  I was born in the REAL world as part of the male human gender.

It doesn't help by me having a bisexual girlfriend who thinks just like I do either.

Hey, at least you don't see me all up in the "drinking on a photoshoot" or "sleeping with the models" or "asking models out on dates" threads.  Those are where the real professionals hang out.

May 15 05 06:44 pm Link

Model

Jin

LOL...I like E. smile

May 15 05 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Posted by Aperture Photographics: 

You guys are just way too nice.  I respect that.

Thanks.

May 15 05 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Mills

Hermiston, Oregon, US

I see we're discussing the "real world" now, just like "real women" are being discussed elsewhere. Assholes are assholes, it doesn't matter what world you are from.

May 15 05 07:05 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I don't have any snide comments. I feel so unloved.  I suggest comments be limited to constructive criticism, but just because I suggest it, doesn't mean it will ever happen.

May 15 05 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Those who know me on the forums know I can be very sarcastic and obnoxious.

But, even I have a line I won't cross.

There is a big difference between "flirtation" and "crass jerk." I try to flirt without being a crass jerk.

There is a big difference between "sarcastic" and "downright mean." I try to be sarcastic without being downright mean.

Personally, I have not seen any downright mean comments on photos. But, I sure hope it's not a common thing.

May 15 05 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Steve Mills: 
Assholes are assholes, it doesn't matter what world you are from.

I'm only a part time asshole.  During the day, I photograph kids.  Who would have thought?  lol

May 15 05 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Mills

Hermiston, Oregon, US

Posted by Steve Mills: 
Assholes are assholes, it doesn't matter what world you are from.

I'm only a part time asshole.  During the day, I photograph kids.  Who would have thought?  lol

Now I know you are nuts, but I know why. smile Daycare pics almost killed my love of this work. Right next to unhappy weddings, it's the worst.

May 15 05 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Steve Mills: 
Now I know you are nuts, but I know why. smile Daycare pics almost killed my love of this work. Right next to unhappy weddings, it's the worst.

Weddings are the worst.  Sad thing about it is that children and wedding photography are the number 1 and 3 jobs that pay the bills.  Number 2 is nightclub promotions.  Glamour photography comes in last at number 4.

So after a long day of hard work, I use modelmayhem to vent out my anger on n00b photographers and to compliment hot chicks on thier bums.

May 15 05 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by LaMarco Photo: 
Eric, I cannot agree more. I thoguht since I was not a pro maybe thats how talent wanted to be treated and talked to. smile Glad to see you post this.

erm hello ....hypocrite alert!
to refresh your memory here's one he prepared earlier:

Yadda yadda yadda!

At one time everyone started out at the bottom. At one time all of you had no freaking idea how to work your camera, how to fix lighting, and how to get the right angles and talent. With time if people do not give up they get better. So all of you at one time were just GWC and it is that simple. I see the same pros saying the same thing over and over agin.. F'n shut it! We all bow down before your feet because you have medium format. We bow down at the great boobie pics of the future, yes. Boobies are a great subject to photograph. If all you pros are so busy being pros why do you have so much dam time to write this crap?

May 15 05 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I must admit that I am lost somewhere... maybe I am just slow, but I would like to know more specifically what kind of "rude, crude and unprofessional remarks" it is talked about in this thread.

Is it a comment on a great shaped butt, where people leaving "WOW!", or "Incredible ass!"...

What is the professional version? "That lighting how it enhances our feminine shape... wow... that was well done, do you know what brand of light kit the photographer used?"

I am really wondering... what are those comments... and, BTW, if a female model has a great picture that really gets my attention, I may commend her exactly on even the physical bodypart in question.

If that is deemed unprofessional and offensive, please let me know, because I must be too much of a knuckledragging troglodite to say the professional thing then.

Please help!

May 15 05 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

E.  I was born in the REAL world as part of the male human gender.

It doesn't help by me having a bisexual girlfriend who thinks just like I do either.

WORD! Experienced the last part of your quote happily many times myself.

May 15 05 07:43 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Eric Jackson,

I agree with you 110%

May 15 05 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Udo R Photography: 
What is the professional version? "That lighting how it enhances our feminine shape... wow... that was well done, do you know what brand of light kit the photographer used?"

ROFLMAO

I just love how the lighting enhances the curvature of your bosoms.

It's simply remarkable!

May 15 05 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

DreamPretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Posted by LaMarco Photo: 

lol...I'm afraid it could be true

May 15 05 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

DreamPretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Posted by photofashion: 

Posted by LaMarco Photo: 

erm hello ....hypocrite alert!
to refresh your memory here's one he prepared earlier:

Yadda yadda yadda!

At one time everyone started out at the bottom. At one time all of you had no freaking idea how to work your camera, how to fix lighting, and how to get the right angles and talent. With time if people do not give up they get better. So all of you at one time were just GWC and it is that simple. I see the same pros saying the same thing over and over agin.. F'n shut it! We all bow down before your feet because you have medium format. We bow down at the great boobie pics of the future, yes. Boobies are a great subject to photograph. If all you pros are so busy being pros why do you have so much dam time to write this crap?

I don't see how this is offensive to any model. It seems like LaMarco is targeting the same jerk-wads who tell models they're too fat and tell photogs they're lame because they own a D-30 or whatever.

May 15 05 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

DreamPretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

ROFLMAO

It's simply remarkable!

I don't think it is bad to say "you're hot" or "amazing ass" but some guys truly don't know how to comment on photos and it comes out sounding kinda crass. But crassness is forgivable. After all, we need someone to make fun of/bitch about right?

May 15 05 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by DreamPretty: 
I don't think it is bad to say "you're hot" or "amazing ass" but some guys truly don't know how to comment on photos and it comes out sounding kinda crass.

Now I'm wondering what was said that was so bad that it's labeled as being crass.

May 15 05 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by DreamPretty: 

It's simply remarkable!

I don't think it is bad to say "you're hot" or "amazing ass" but some guys truly don't know how to comment on photos and it comes out sounding kinda crass.

Well... maybe I have not seen those seriously out of line remarks on any photo... or just didn't pay attention.

May 15 05 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I agree, but at the same time, must say that criticism with a side order of sarcasm is important for good mental hygene. Don't forget to floss between the synapses.

May 15 05 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ROFLMAO

It's simply remarkable!

How about, "The curvature of your bossoms and the delicate arch of your buttocks, how they silhouette against the landscape with the sun setting remind me of the time I was roaming the countryside in Ithaca communing with the pollen fairies. It was spectacular!"

May 15 05 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
How about, "The curvature of your bossoms and the delicate arch of your buttocks, how they silhouette against the landscape with the sun setting remind me of the time I was roaming the countryside in Ithaca communing with the pollen fairies. It was spectacular!"

Can't beat that one!  lol

May 15 05 09:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

I think the problem lies in that a lot of photographers (muas, and models too)dont know the line between constructive critisim and verbal assault. I think that some of these photographers may think they are doing the right thing by being brutally  honest with certain models weather it be to let them know that they are not cut out for the type of modeling they are trying to do, or not working with the right type of people, their pictures are not good enough ect ect ect... While in their defense I dont feel its right to say to someone that they will be able to do fashion modeling if they are 5"5 and 200lbs, because then they would be lying, but there are more constructive ways of letting someone know this, instead of saying something like "your fat", or something along those lines. Remarks like that just make that person look like an insensitive jerk, not to mention unprofessional. This community needs honesty and constructive critism, this is how a lot of people learn while they are just starting off. But its entirely possible to do this while still maintaining a level of respect for that person, regardless if you feel like "they suck", "are a GWC", "are fat", "dillisional" ect. If you feel that way, either word it different or keep your mouth shut.

Just my 2 cents smile

May 15 05 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Printmakeup: 
I think the problem lies in that a lot of photographers (muas, and models too)dont know the line between constructive critisim and verbal assault. I think that some of these photographers may think they are doing the right thing by being brutally  honest with certain models weather it be to let them know that they are not cut out for the type of modeling they are trying to do, or not working with the right type of people, their pictures are not good enough ect ect ect... While in their defense I dont feel its right to say to someone that they will be able to do fashion modeling if they are 5"5 and 200lbs, because then they would be lying, but there are more constructive ways of letting someone know this, instead of saying something like "your fat", or something along those lines. Remarks like that just make that person look like an insensitive jerk, not to mention unprofessional. This community needs honesty and constructive critism, this is how a lot of people learn while they are just starting off. But its entirely possible to do this while still maintaining a level of respect for that person, regardless if you feel like "they suck", "are a GWC", "are fat", "dillisional" ect. If you feel that way, either word it different or keep your mouth shut.

You know what?  You are right!

So what's the professional way to tell a model she's too fat to shoot in lingerie or do nudes?

May 15 05 09:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

Posted by Printmakeup: 

You know what?  You are right!

So what's the professional way to tell a model she's too fat to shoot in lingerie or do nudes?

If you cant think of a different way of saying that to someone, then just simply say "your not what im looking for the types of shoots Im doing" And if they still persist, just say in a constructive professional way " I shoot models between the sizes of x-x, for x type of shoot. They should be able to figure out they dont meet that criteria without you having to say something like your fat, or chunky or whatever..

May 15 05 09:22 pm Link