Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > what in the world are they thinking???

Model

chelsey

Lea Hill, Washington, US

I have had a Capital One account for over a year now and have always paid my bill over the phone.  I called today to make a payment and the damn operator wanted to charge my account $10 for the service, and then the service can or will be higher if I would like to speak to a teller.  Come on now where's the customer service?  All I know is when its paid off I'm canceling it.

Nov 06 05 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

chelsey wrote:
I have had a Capital One account for over a year now and have always paid my bill over the phone.  I called today to make a payment and the damn operator wanted to charge my account $10 for the service, and then the service can or will be higher if I would like to speak to a teller.  Come on now where's the customer service?  All I know is when its paid off I'm canceling it.

What's in Their Wallet?

Nov 06 05 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Logan Seh

Lansing, Michigan, US

chelsey wrote:

You might want to call and speak with a customer rep, about their fee's.

Here's the thing I know of from dealing with over 15 different banks in the past 10 years.  You are  doing a banking transaction on a sunday, which means the transaction is going to fall into "SPECIAL" services.  To make a payment over the phone on a weekend alot of places will do a Tele-check transaction which costs them money so they inturn charge you. 

My suggestion is since you have internet do your banking over it instead of over the phone if you can.  most places are making internet transactions free, compared to services fees for transactions over the phone, as they don't have to pay an employee to type stuff into a computer for you.

Nov 06 05 05:26 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

You don't have to wait till the card is paid off to cancel it. If you wait, you'll continue to accrue fees. Cancel now, and continue to pay the account. As long as you aren't delinquent, your credit will be fine.

Nov 06 05 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

ModelPrincess wrote:
You don't have to wait till the card is paid off to cancel it. If you wait, you'll continue to accrue fees. Cancel now, and continue to pay the account. As long as you aren't delinquent, your credit will be fine.

Very smart advice!  These credit card companies will rip people off blind!  If I am a day late, they call me and want to have make make the payment with them on the phone. I refuse to do so because I'd ask tehm if there would be a charge for their service doing that and they said "yes!"  So then I tell them I'll pay it online ... there are fewer "customer service" related charges that way!   It's best just not to be late!  lol

Nov 06 05 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

This is a true story.
Several years ago Amex called me and told me to cut up my card and send it to them. They were ending my account. 
Why, I asked. 
Becuase you missed a paymet.
But I was in the hospital and I called and told you I would be late.
Cut up your card and send it.
Now, wait, don't I have an $800+- credit with you? 
Yes.
Are you saying that I should send back my card because I owe you money yet you have over $800. that's owed me?
Yes.

I cut it up and sent it to Amex and in a month I got a check from them for the $800 overpayment I'm made...

I'd been a card memeber for 11 years...

We are living in an odd world. Credit cards are going to ruin us all... but they are so damn handy...

Nov 06 05 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Weldphoto wrote:
This is a true story.
Several years ago Amex called me and told me to cut up my card and send it to them. They were ending my account. 
Why, I asked. 
Becuase you missed a paymet.
But I was in the hospital and I called and told you I would be late.
Cut up your card and send it.
Now, wait, don't I have an $800+- credit with you? 
Yes.
Are you saying that I should send back my card because I owe you money yet you have over $800. that's owed me?
Yes.

I cut it up and sent it to Amex and in a month I got a check from them for the $800 overpayment I'm made...

I'd been a card memeber for 11 years...

We are living in an odd world. Credit cards are going to ruin us all... but they are so damn handy...

Owe owe owe ... i owe!  Yes, credit cards are evil!   I wish I could cut mine up but in todays world, it's almost impossible to do without them!

Nov 06 05 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Thank your elected officials for following the Bush plan of economics. 

They are allowed to have you bend over and grab your ankles because people failed to understand the issues and vote accordingly.

Hmmm, having you do that might not be a bad thing beyond economics...

Nov 06 05 09:21 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

I had a similar problem with a different industry. I bought a Philips DVD player a couple years back and it worked great. A couple weeks ago I tried a homemade video CD in it (for which it is supposed to be compatible). It played the CD but now it won't play DVDs anymore. So I call their customer help line...thinking that this should not be happening on my machine.

Long story short after fighting with the automated system I get through to a human who says they MAY be able to help me, but since I am  out of warantee that they will charge me $15 to talk to a support person who MAY be able to fix my problem. When new DVD players can be had for $50-80 why should I pay $15...especially if the problem is with the player.

Customer NON-service for sure! Needless to say I will avoid buying Philips products from now on!

And credit card companies...my wife deals with those, I get too pissed off!

Nov 06 05 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

area291 wrote:
Thank your elected officials for following the Bush plan of economics. 

They are allowed to have you bend over and grab your ankles because people failed to understand the issues and vote accordingly.

Hmmm, having you do that might not be a bad thing beyond economics...

Hmmmm, as credit card company wants a fee for allowing bill payment over the phone, and that somehow is Bush's fault?  I recently ordered CD from B&H and it was defective when I opened the package. Is that also Bushs fault? I had a really bad meal with poor service at a restaurant last week. That was also the President's fault? Back during the Clinton administration, I bought a tire which blew out two days after the purchase. Was that Clintin's fault? After all, he was President when it happened!

Want to coinsider the possibility of getting a clue?

Nov 06 05 10:02 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

Tim Baker wrote:

What's in Their Wallet?

hahahahahhahahaha ::wipes tear::

Nov 06 05 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Doug Lester wrote:

Hmmmm, as credit card company wants a fee for allowing bill payment over the phone, and that somehow is Bush's fault?  I recently ordered CD from B&H and it was defective when I opened the package. Is that also Bushs fault? I had a really bad meal with poor service at a restaurant last week. That was also the President's fault? Back during the Clinton administration, I bought a tire which blew out two days after the purchase. Was that Clintin's fault? After all, he was President when it happened!

Want to coinsider the possibility of getting a clue?

You can't blame any President for personal financial woos, but I have to admit that the best financial times of my life was during the entire 8 years of the Clinton administration.   Certainly you are right about the illogic in blaming Bush, but then Clinton, and every President before Bush E including his dad had more honorable administrations.  Even Richard Nixon was a fine President except for Watergate.  Finishing up what you think your daddy should have done by using lies and deceit for the purpose of getting the USA into a "crusade" in Iraq was wrong, is wrong and always will be wrong.  It's costing us dearly!

Nov 06 05 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Travis Feisthamel Photo

Watertown, New York, US

Tim Baker wrote:
What's in Their Wallet?

LOL I was thinking the same thing when I read the original post. LOL Seriously it has gotten this way with many things, even my car payment charges me $8.95 if I call it in. That is rediculas.

Nov 06 05 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Logan Seh

Lansing, Michigan, US

Actually alot of credit card companies will give you alot of leeway providing that you escalate the problem.  If a CSR is giving you a hard time, don't deal with them... deal with their manager.   Tell them you will close your account.  They usually start backing down real quick because the managers know 1 unhappy customer turns into 10 unhappy prospective customers.

A couple years ago I had a payment to a CC company returned it got caught in the sorter and well mangled... the top half of the envelope was gone so there was no postage and it was returned to me for insuficient postage... like how could they tell half the envelope was missing... It came in my friday mail... sure enough saturday I got a call demanding payment. Well  The person that called was from the parrent bank, which was not the one on the card.  I told them in no way am I going to make a payment to someone who cals me and demands money over the phone... The CSR started in on uping my interest rate to the max and late fees and blah blah blah.  I hung up.

Went to my statement and called the number on it.  The girl who answered the phone was a nice enough girl and I told her I needed to speak to her supervisor,  After 15 minutes of me not backing down I finally got the supervisor.    I explained what happened and they apologized, and insisted I needed to make a Tele-check payment...  At which I said sure..., they then told me there would be a fee... I told them IF I am charged a fee or even a late fee I'm closing my account, since I am not responsible for a postal fuckup, or they could wait for my check to arive in the mail.

The manager then told me that the Tele-check fee was not assessed by them but Tele-check. So she could not waive the fee.  After more debate and me threatening to close my account a few more times.  I paid the balance via Tele-check and was charged the $10 fee, and the manager put a $20 service credit on my account to cover the fee and inconvienence and upped my credit limit $3000 since I had been a good customer and this was the first late payment in the 3 years I had that card.

Funny thing is the company went bankrupt and was bought out, closing all credit card accounts not 1 year after that.

Nov 06 05 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Robert J Burnett

Saint Charles, Missouri, US

Whatever you do do not pay just the minimum balance on your account either I have 1 CC that says my minimum balance is like 29 dollars while they are charging me 28 dollars and some change in interest at that rate I will never get the thing paid off so I usually send them 129 dollars and it will be paid off in a few months now.

Nov 08 05 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thank you for calling customer service...How may I desist you...

Truely, all banking has to be done in person or on the net to avoid fees...It's sad...

Nov 08 05 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Robert_Darabos

Saginaw, Michigan, US

they've always charged me ten dollars to pay over the fone.

Nov 08 05 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

cookie monster

Alamo Heights, Texas, US

I do not believe in credit cards. If I can not afford, I do not need it. What scares me is the twits in Washington (both the repugnatives and democraps) are racking up a deficit so high, that children born today will be in the 80% tax bracket just to pay the interest on the deficit. We need to start producing tangible goods, instead of trying to build an economy of ones and zeros.

Nov 09 05 12:25 am Link

Model

sthompson

cookie monster wrote:
I do not believe in credit cards. If I can not afford, I do not need it. What scares me is the twits in Washington (both the repunatitives and democraps) are racking up a deficit so high, that children born today will be in the 80% tax bracket just to pay the interest on the deficit. We need to start producing tangible goods, instead of trying to build an economy of ones and zeros.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with credit cards if you play the game to your advantage.  I've had a single card now since '95 (Citibank Driver's Edge).  I've put every transaction on it (as it puts a percentage to new cars) and in the course of the past 10 years I've received checks totaling (roughly) $6,000 for what I've spent -- keep in mind I pay EVERYTHING through the card...but pay it off each month.  Currently I'm sitting with about another $2,800 due to me for the next car I buy, which will probably be next year (for the Mrs. that is).

Nothing wrong with playing "their" game...as long as you spin the rules to your favor.  Sad are those that take the card and pay minimum's only, spendings thousands paying off that hundred dollar bill; destined to never get out of debt.

Rule of thumb:
1.) There are too many CC companies out there to have to pay an annual fee (bye bye AMEX)
2.) There are too many cards out there that give you money/discounts/cash back to have a card that merely allows you the ability to simply purchase something.

Do your homework and win the CC game.

Nov 09 05 12:35 am Link