Forums > Photography Talk > that red chair guy. how does he do it?

Photographer

Chris Dhames

Palmdale, California, US

This guys lighting is so interesting.  How does he do it? 

http://www.pbase.com/dudedelux/the_red_ … del_mayhem

Aug 03 07 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

fotoMOJO LLC

San Francisco, California, US

Chris Dhames wrote:
This guys lighting is so interesting.  How does he do it? 

http://www.pbase.com/dudedelux/the_red_ … del_mayhem

Not sure, but he does awesome work.

Aug 03 07 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

studio kgm inc

Nashville, Tennessee, US

looks like a key off to the right and fairly high.  hes either flagged the light off of the background or is using a softbox with a grid on it. 

also, theres a hair light on the left.  this ones lower and from behind with a cyan gel on it.

there may also be a fill card on the left.  i cant tell for certain.

Aug 03 07 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

glide on fade photo

Los Angeles, California, US

judging by his published stop, he's obviously using a strobe.  No idea what he did, but you can easily achieve a similar look with a softbox above and some fill from the side, easy peasy.

Aug 03 07 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Dhames

Palmdale, California, US

I think it's a little more than a softbox and fill on the side.  He keeps everything very dark, and naturally vigenetted, except for his subject.  And there's a lot of shadow work on his subjects.  you can tell he really knows his lighting equipment and how to work it.  I'd love to know how.

Aug 03 07 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

TheLoftStudios

Houston, Texas, US

It's definitely either a Softbox with an Egg Crate Grid and/or a Beauty Dish with a Grid.  If he's not using Grids, then he's vignetting it via Photoshop.  Also, the characteristics of the dark Scarlet Material is to his advantage due to the incrediable absorbsion of light.  Simple one Light Set-up with a kicker light that he uses a Gel with sometime.  But don't get the term "Simple One Light Set-Up" confused..... he sculps the Models beautifully with his technique.

LOVE his work!

Aug 03 07 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ask him.  He's a nice guy.

Aug 04 07 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Roger A Scheck

Aug 04 07 12:05 am Link

Model

Lory

SYLMAR, California, US

Ransom-The Cheese-J wrote:
Ask him.  He's a nice guy.

I was gonna say just that

Aug 04 07 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Kelly Watkins

San Diego, California, US

Aug 04 07 12:11 am Link

Photographer

glide on fade photo

you can easily replicate most of the ideas in several of those shots with a basic understanding of three point lighting, three heads, a softbox and a working understanding of adjusting ratios.  Anyone paying half attention in a cinematography course should be able to do setups similar to this after auditing a course.  The first thing you'll learn after seeing many different gaffers work is that there are a million ways to skin a cat, you'll see a lot of techniques that land you near the same place.  First things first, these photos are hardly dark when you have an 11 or 16 stop, why you would want that kind of depth for photos like this is a mystery to me...  Just because you have a definitive black in a photo suggesting dark does not necessarily make it dark...  Second, there is a lot of slop in some of them which really doesnt inspire the idea that a lot of grip was employed to pull these off.  Look at the spill on the floor on this one that really flattens the whole thing out-
http://www.pbase.com/dudedelux/image/64623281
an edge light on the chair would have been much more effective.

Anyhow, just because something looks nice (which these do) doesnt mean its complicated (which these arent).  Throw a softbox above your model and use whatever modifier you want to soften your fill and you are enough of the percentage of the way there where the rest is minutia, others will call that last bit style.

If you take those pictures of trisha in the above link, you can get close enough by lighting the set from above with a soft box or whatever large diffuse surface you want to use, blasting your model off from the right with a less diffuse source for the pop and then throwing that color from the left from a more diffuse source.  This is basic, basic, basic stuff.  What makes it look nice is the ratio between the heads and the modifiers on each sources and thats the fun stuff everyone should be figuring out for themselves, developing a style of their own...

Aug 04 07 12:13 am Link

Photographer

marc goldstein

West Hollywood, California, US

60W bulb and candle light.

Aug 04 07 12:13 am Link

Model

Lory

SYLMAR, California, US

Kelly Watkins wrote:

ego much?

he's french and he's a genius

cut him some slack wink

Aug 04 07 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Dmitri Markine

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't see anything special. The images I opened were shot with 1 light. 1 set of images was done with 2 lights.

Aug 04 07 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Kelly Watkins

San Diego, California, US

Aug 04 07 12:17 am Link

Photographer

marc goldstein

Kelly Watkins wrote:

really? i remember requesting a friend add from him, and instead of just denying me, he sent me a two page diatribe about why he is denying my friend request.

ego much?

Kelly, if this indeed happened (was it on myspce?) then my ego and I would like to appologize profusely on the account of a brain fart.

Aug 04 07 12:20 am Link

Model

Jessie-Lynne

Chicago, Illinois, US

He is a total darling.. and I hope to get in that chair soon! smile

Photographer

Antoine Thisdale

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I think the lighting is quite boring actually. Its most likely a simple Octo SoftBox with a grid to control the spill, and then edited lightly in PS with extra Vigneting (or the vignette is done naturally).

The chair is just cool 'cause its a dark red and its not leather so it absorbs the light more.

The pictures have no "umphf", lighting is too simple, there is no adjustment on colors and the composition is quite "regular".

Not sure what the fuss is about.

maybe i'm just being grumpy tonight.

Model

Lory

SYLMAR, California, US

Kelly Watkins wrote:

yeah, no problem. i just thought it was a little... ummm. well, whatever.

he definitely does great work - which is why i requested an add in the first place. always nice to discover new sources of inspiration.

tell him you want to be the first photographer to pose in the red chair and he may change his mind!

Photographer

TheLoftStudios

Houston, Texas, US

glide on fade photo wrote:
.....First things first, these photos are hardly dark when you have an 11 or 16 stop, why you would want that kind of depth for photos like this is a mystery to me...  Just because you have a definitive black in a photo suggesting dark does not necessarily make it dark.....

LOL..... you can have dark photos at F/2.8

.....Second, there is a lot of slop in some of them which really doesnt inspire the idea that a lot of grip was employed to pull these off.  Look at the spill on the floor on this one that really flattens the whole thing out-

I seriously doubt that that is "Spill" on the floor, but most likely a light hidden behind the chair..... probably on a grid.

Aug 04 07 12:21 am Link

Photographer

marc goldstein

This is fun.

Aug 04 07 12:22 am Link

Model

Lory

SYLMAR, California, US

Antoine Thisdale wrote:

grumpy people get spankings

Aug 04 07 12:22 am Link

Model

Jessie-Lynne

Chicago, Illinois, US

Lory wrote:

grumpy people get spankings

what about people that just want spankings for the sake of spankings smile

Aug 04 07 12:23 am Link

Photographer

marc goldstein

you can easily replicate most of the ideas in several of those shots with a basic understanding of three point lighting, three heads, a softbox and a working understanding of adjusting ratios.  Anyone paying half attention in a cinematography course should be able to do setups similar to this after auditing a course.  The first thing you'll learn after seeing many different gaffers work is that there are a million ways to skin a cat, you'll see a lot of techniques that land you near the same place.  First things first, these photos are hardly dark when you have an 11 or 16 stop, why you would want that kind of depth for photos like this is a mystery to me...  Just because you have a definitive black in a photo suggesting dark does not necessarily make it dark...  Second, there is a lot of slop in some of them which really doesnt inspire the idea that a lot of grip was employed to pull these off.  Look at the spill on the floor on this one that really flattens the whole thing out-

Anyhow, just because something looks nice (which these do) doesnt mean its complicated (which these arent).  Throw a softbox above your model and use whatever modifier you want to soften your fill and you are enough of the percentage of the way there where the rest is minutia, others will call that last bit style.

If you take those pictures of trisha in the above link, you can get close enough by lighting the set from above with a soft box or whatever large diffuse surface you want to use, blasting your model off from the right with a less diffuse source for the pop and then throwing that color from the left from a more diffuse source.  This is basic, basic, basic stuff.  What makes it look nice is the ratio between the heads and the modifiers on each sources and thats the fun stuff everyone should be figuring out for themselves, developing a style of their own...

It's not basic stuff.

Aug 04 07 12:24 am Link

Model

Lory

SYLMAR, California, US

https://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o233/Tigws6/worthless.gif

Aug 04 07 12:25 am Link

Model

Lory

SYLMAR, California, US

Jessie Lynne wrote:

what about people that just want spankings for the sake of spankings smile

come to cali... and i will spank you myself big_smile

Aug 04 07 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Tim Foster

Orlando, Florida, US

Bleah.

Aug 04 07 12:27 am Link

Model

Lory

SYLMAR, California, US

Tim Foster wrote:
Bleah.

I hear bitterness

Aug 04 07 12:29 am Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

Antoine Thisdale wrote:
I think the lighting is quite boring actually. Its most likely a simple Octo SoftBox with a grid to control the spill, and then edited lightly in PS with extra Vigneting (or the vignette is done naturally).

The chair is just cool 'cause its a dark red and its not leather so it absorbs the light more.

The pictures have no "umphf", lighting is too simple, there is no adjustment on colors and the composition is quite "regular".

maybe i'm just being grumpy tonight. [/quote

Aug 04 07 12:30 am Link

Photographer

marc goldstein

It's my party.
Damn I love a good roast!

Aug 04 07 12:30 am Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

bman wrote:

Antoine Thisdale wrote:

maybe i'm just being grumpy tonight. [/quote

HUH???

Aug 04 07 12:31 am Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

marc goldstein wrote:

It's not basic stuff.

ART is NOT about what's basic or not...it's about IMPACT
the RED CHAIR has TONS of Impact...
no different than Kurt Cobain having impact strumming a 10 yr. old out of tune guitar,
with his raspy crackly voice-
If it moves you...then it's GREAT- regardless of technique,
SOMEONE will ALWAYS "out technique" you, and WHO cares.
MOVE PAST that please.
There Marc, have I kissed your ass enough for godsakes!~

Aug 04 07 12:34 am Link

Photographer

marc goldstein

bman wrote:

ART is NOT about what's basic or not...it's about IMPACT
the RED CHAIR has TONS of Impact...
no different than Kurt Cobain having impact strumming a 10 yr. old out of tune guitar,
with his raspy crackly voice-
If it moves you...then it's GREAT- regardless of technique,
SOMEONE will ALWAYS "out technique" you, and WHO cares.
MOVE PAST that please.
There Marc, have I kissed your ass enough for godsakes!~

After how I defended your ass from the Aussie, I think we're even.
Good looking out brother.

Aug 04 07 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Kent Johnson Photograph

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Get a big lounge chair and a semi nekid girl.

Light it and shoot!

This looks pretty straight forward.

Simple is best.

No doing much for me though.

Aug 04 07 12:36 am Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

Kent Johnson Photograph wrote:
Get a big lounge chair and a semi nekid girl.

Light it and shoot!

This looks pretty straight forward.

Simple is best.

No doing much for me though.

SEMI?
another who has not REALLY looked.
bad etiquette bro'

Aug 04 07 12:39 am Link

Model

Lory

SYLMAR, California, US

seeing as its time for me to leave work and get away from the computer

I will leave a bunch of smooches blown to Mr.Goldstien cause its his special day

and some shallow self promotion

https://k53.pbase.com/o6/56/54156/1/77472250.1rWduB6u.LORYCUBA0709.jpg

I think it takes a lot of talent to make a 4'11 girl look like this!

luv you marc!

Aug 04 07 12:39 am Link

Model

Hacked Account

Houston, Alaska, US

Antoine Thisdale wrote:

maybe you are blind smile

Aug 04 07 12:40 am Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

marc goldstein wrote:

After how I defended your ass from the Aussie, I think we're even.
Good looking out brother.

the AUSSIE...yeah, I'm INTIMIDATED by his PORT.
B-O-R-I-N-G

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

Lory wrote:
seeing as its time for me to leave work and get away from the computer

I will leave a bunch of smooches blown to Mr.Goldstien cause its his special day

and some shallow self promotion

https://k53.pbase.com/o6/56/54156/1/77472250.1rWduB6u.LORYCUBA0709.jpg

I think it takes a lot of talent to make a 4'11 girl look like this!

luv you marc!

Can we address how HOT Lory is.

Photographer

215 Studios

Center Point, Texas, US

marc goldstein wrote:
It's my party.
Damn I love a good roast!

I'm just wondering if the OP's noticed you yet, or not...

*blink*

Aug 04 07 12:42 am Link