Forums > Photography Talk > Ok, THIS is how i do it.....

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

Cam on a timer? That bad ass dude is you? I thought you were white.

lol

Seriously??

Sep 07 07 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Wow, they "kinda" fixed the 41 bug.

Sep 07 07 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

are you saying i'm apparently-paradoxical-but-not-really?

Fuck, you're talking like me now! Argh!

Sep 07 07 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

lol

Ransom-The Cheese-J wrote:
Seriously??

*giggles* That's cuz he normally uses a high pass filter on himself. Works like camo.

Sep 07 07 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

kode b

San Diego, California, US

A light bulb lit in my brain when you stated the fact you used a bare bulb to get the strong highlights and shadows - something I've been struggling with using modifiers...lol. Thanks for the epiphany moment!

Luckily for you Ransom, the process you use can be known to everyone, but the eye you have for composition is very hard to replicate so you should remain envied for quite some time.

Sep 07 07 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

lol

Seriously??

Nah, but it made you laugh!

Sep 07 07 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

LOL ass!

Sep 07 07 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Black I figured but you're supposed to be some old fart like me.  Too damn young to be that good.

Sep 07 07 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

And now, to all the haters who have called me a liar when I've said that Ransom's pictures aren't that heavily photoshopped, I say:

I TOLD YOU SO!

That is all.

Sep 07 07 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
And now, to all the haters who have called me a liar when I've said that Ransom's pictures aren't that heavily photoshopped, I say:

I TOLD YOU SO!

That is all.

No no, let them believe that it's all photoshop.  Just proves to me that they must not be that good if they can't fathom how I get my photos to look that way without a shit load of PS work.

Sep 07 07 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

A well written and magnanimous tutorial.
Good of you to share some of the magic, and to offer the lesson that it doesn't have to be about post production.
Be prepared for a spate of "Mock Cheeses" whipping the modifiers off their monolights.

Sep 07 07 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Brooks Ayola

Chatsworth, California, US

Jerry Bennett wrote:
Dude, you must be mistaken. That can't be how you do it 'cause all the experts here on MM say that White Lightnings and Alien Bees suck!

I guess it depends on if you plan on using the same units twenty years from now after dragging them on location, like I've been using my Speedotrons. :-)

I wasn't aware that people thought you used a lot of Photoshop in your pictures Ransom. They don't seem that PS'd to me. It looks like the stuff I used to shoot 15 years ago on Agfa Ultra 50 print film like this:

18+
http://ayola.com/aweb/girlrocks.jpg

I think it's your subject matter that's the original part of your work.

Sep 07 07 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Brooks Ayola wrote:

I guess it depends on if you plan on using the same units twenty years from now after dragging them on location, like I've been using my Speedotrons. :-)

I wasn't aware that people thought you used a lot of Photoshop in your pictures Ransom. They don't seem that PS'd to me. It looks like the stuff I used to shoot 15 years ago on Agfa Ultra 50 print film like this:

18+

Fine as lady there, Brooks.

Sep 07 07 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brooks Ayola wrote:

18+

That's a kick ass pic sir.

Sep 07 07 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Ok so in regards to my "The "How Do You Do It?" guys... thread, i was given the idea to make this thread.  I'm going to go through my typical process for getting the look that i have on my pics.  I figure that when people hit me up to ask, I can just refer them to this thread, plus if anybody else has a picture or look that they consistently get questions about, they can also post a short tutorial in here to show how they did it.

First off, i like bright saturated colors and high contrasts in my pictures. (obviously).  Spectral highlights and hard shadows are also something that i like the look of.  So my style is tailored to that.  For my outdoor pictures (which is what i will be explaining in this thread) i tend to shoot bare bulb strobe with no modifiers, due to the fact that it will give me the harsh shadows, kick up spectral highlights and give me the high contrasts that i like. 

As far as equipment goes, I shoot with two or three white lightning WL-10000's because i like the durability, the color temp and the simplicity of them.  Most shots in my port were shot with the Sony DSC-R1 digital camera, so that let's you know what camera I use. 

The type of pictures that i take are only going to be as good as the model, the MUA, and the backdrop that you choose.  For this one I choose my favorite model, Victoria #133499, one of the MUA's that i use from time to time that i have such a lovely relationship with, and picked a location in the mountains on the way to Lake Mead here in Vegas.  It's a great little desert mountain location where some environmentally conscious people did me the favor of dumping all kinds of great shit to use as background fodder.

let's take the out of camera RAW image:

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q246/rhoceez/tut1.jpg

This was taken as f/11, 1/200, at a focal length of 14mm  with the contrast set at +1 and the color setting on Vivid.

The first bare bulb WL-5000 was about 10 feet to the  to the models left at about her 2 o'clock position.  the sun was my fill to the models right at the  her 10 o'clock and a had another bare bulb WL-10000  about 10 feet behind the model and boat as a rim light.  Both strobes were set to 2/3 power and are rated at 250 watts.

The first thing I do is open the file in PS CS3 and do any skin corrections (evening, smoothing out, dodging and burning)

then i duplicate the layer and go to Image>Adjustments>Selective Color

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q246/rhoceez/tut2.jpg

I normally will bump the blues in the sky to whatever look I want (I like a rich blue or purple sky myself) by adjusting the sliders in the Selective Color tool.

Then I create a layer mask and hide all so i can paint in my sky and bump up the reds in the boat without effecting the rest of the picture (which is where i want it to be)

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q246/rhoceez/tut3.jpg

After painting in the sky and boat, I'm pretty much done so i save the PSD file and then save a jpeg

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q246/rhoceez/tut4.jpg

here's the side by side.

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q246/rhoceez/tut5.jpg

Alright.  That's how i do it.  It's the best i can do as far as explaining it without actually having you there to watch me work.

hopefully this helps some people, and other photographers add in some tips and tricks of their own.

Awesome stuff, Cheese!

Sep 07 07 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brooks Ayola wrote:

Also, my WL's are older than some of the models I shoot.

Sep 07 07 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Daguerre wrote:

Awesome stuff, Cheese!

You flatter me sir.

Sep 07 07 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Daguerre wrote:
Awesome stuff, Cheese!

You flatter me sir.

I do not-- your galleries are regularly scheduled stops of mine.  Like most I admire, your setup is simple, but deadly accurate.  And that is as good as it gets!

Sep 07 07 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

timeless image

Houston, Texas, US

Thanks for sharing, your work kicks butt.

Sep 07 07 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Alright.  That's how i do it.  It's the best i can do as far as explaining it without actually having you there to watch me work.

hopefully this helps some people, and other photographers add in some tips and tricks of their own.

Thanks.  I'll be taking some of those pointers and adding a few of my own.  smile

Sep 07 07 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Los Angeles, California, US

lol

Seriously??

Lawl!!

Sep 07 07 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ixxxix wrote:

Lawl!!

Hate!!

Sep 07 07 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Daguerre wrote:

Daguerre wrote:
Awesome stuff, Cheese!

I do not-- your galleries are regularly scheduled stops of mine.  Like most I admire, your setup is simple, but deadly accurate.  And that is as good as it gets!

Well thank you sir.  You already know you've been int he favorites list for a loooooooong time.

Sep 07 07 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Los Angeles, California, US

Hate!!

P'leez...

I hear that shit said about me so often that it's refreshing to hear it directed at someone else.  Even if only in jest.

The Cheese's Lighting Tutorial for Dummies is plenty helpful though.  No hate there at all...

Sep 07 07 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Now THIS pic had a lot more PS work involved than most anything else in my profile (aside from the rainy day London pic) and it's still pretty close to what came out of the camera.  Just a lot of dodging and burning and a little cloning of the fire.

https://img9.modelmayhem.com/070907/18/46e1e5203003f.jpg

Sep 07 07 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

Fire is tough! Yikes, but good job!

I have to admit that I thought for sure you had a gold umbrella on your mainlight or were bouncing your flash off a gold/silver reflector. Your mods skin tones seem fairly warm.

Then again, hyping up contrast and tone during shooting could do that too, along with a slight color balance adjust in the RAW dialog. Usually I'm too freaked out about holding my highlights to up the contrast in camera, and do it slowly with layers in PS instead.

Sep 07 07 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
BTW, kudos Ransom. You need say nothing further when people ask, if you ask me.

Apparently this is NOT the case Marko. lol

Sep 07 07 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Active Lifestyle Photo

Laguna Niguel, California, US

thanks for sharing. very cool read.

Sep 07 07 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Thanks for doing this, Ransom!

Two tips:

1. You can make your cloning/healing non-destructive by doing it on an empty layer right above your background layer and setting the Clone or Heal Sample mode to Current/Below. Sometimes I'll have 3-6 layers of various clone/heal adjustments, and I can even "dial them back" individually with the layer transparency.

2. To do something *similar* to the Selective Color in CS3 (might be close enough), add a B&W Adjustment Layer, make your slider adjustments there, and then set the mode of the layer to Luminosity. Added advantage again: it's non-destructive.

Sep 07 07 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

https://i2.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/b3/3b/898f_1.JPG

These were my first strobes! They were very lightweight and worked great! There is no way to put a softbox on them but that was just fine with me since I couldn't afford one. I used a plastic see-through shower curtain stretched on a frame made out of PVC pipes.

Good times!

Sep 08 07 02:43 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ewing

Riverside, California, US

I have to ask...how did you power the strobes?  I have 2 Photogenics 320Bs (rating of 320 w/Secs, battery pack operational), but can't seem to over-power the sun.  I wanted to take out my 2 Solair 500's or the 1000 to really underexpose the noon sun.

Sep 08 07 03:29 am Link

Photographer

BYS

Paris, Île-de-France, France

it's great to see a good photographer sharing
well ,no surprise Cheese is The Cheese
thanks bro to make that forum more decent
tb

Sep 08 07 03:33 am Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

Awesome work and cudos for sharing. 

Says much about your character.

Sep 08 07 03:39 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jim Ewing wrote:
I have to ask...how did you power the strobes?  I have 2 Photogenics 320Bs (rating of 320 w/Secs, battery pack operational), but can't seem to over-power the sun.  I wanted to take out my 2 Solair 500's or the 1000 to really underexpose the noon sun.

https://arcocomputers.com/shop/images/apc%20battery%20backup.jpg

I can normally get off a full 4 gig card (200 shots) off of one full charge.  I wouldn't suggest the average person use one of these, as i have a master electrician for a father should anything go wrong with my strobes.

But with two of my coffee cans on full power with no diffusers i can overpower noon sun.  At f16 it'll look like dusk/evening.

Sep 08 07 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Fotticelli wrote:

These were my first strobes! They were very lightweight and worked great! There is no way to put a softbox on them but that was just fine with me since I couldn't afford one. I used a plastic see-through shower curtain stretched on a frame made out of PVC pipes.

Good times!

https://www.white-lightning.com/images/wlpa.jpg

The WLPA is the speedring adaptor offered for our retired line of White Lightning 5,000 and 10,000 Series Flash Units. The WLPA may be used to attach our softboxes (SB2436, SB3240, and SB3060) to the faceplate of your WL 5,000 and/or WL 10,000 Series flash unit(s). The attached silver pole (included) fits through the WL Series built-in umbrella hole, tightening into place, while the poles from the softbox fit into the four holes found on each side of the adaptor.

The WLPA may additionally be used with the Photoflex Litedome and Multidome softboxes, but it may not be used with the Halfdome of Stripdome softboxes. Furthermore, as the WLPA only has four holes for fitting the poles of a softbox, it may not be used with our octaboxes (OB35 and OB47) or with any other manufacturer’s octaboxes.

Sep 08 07 05:41 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

BYS wrote:
it's great to see a good photographer sharing
well ,no surprise Cheese is The Cheese
thanks bro to make that forum more decent
tb

I do what i can Thierry! smile

Sep 08 07 05:41 am Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

You weren't kidding when you said that a lot of people would be surprised by how little PS you do to your images. =]

Sep 08 07 07:35 am Link

Model

Carole B

Durham, North Carolina, US

Now THIS pic had a lot more PS work involved than most anything else in my profile (aside from the rainy day London pic) and it's still pretty close to what came out of the camera.  Just a lot of dodging and burning and a little cloning of the fire.

https://img9.modelmayhem.com/070907/18/46e1e5203003f.jpg

your work is amazing...I do wish you spread out the cloning of the fire though because I picked up the doubles right away...  Even with that said, your work is so flawless in the WAY its done.

Kudos to you....lovely work.

Sep 08 07 07:59 am Link

Photographer

DaG

Atlanta, Georgia, US

https://arcocomputers.com/shop/images/apc%20battery%20backup.jpg

I can normally get off a full 4 gig card (200 shots) off of one full charge.  I wouldn't suggest the average person use one of these, as i have a master electrician for a father should anything go wrong with my strobes.

But with two of my coffee cans on full power with no diffusers i can overpower noon sun.  At f16 it'll look like dusk/evening.

Don't these things beep incessantly when they are on but not plugged into a wall? Have you just gotten used to the noise or have you modified it in some way?

BTW, thanks for sharing your technique. I admire your work greatly.

Danny

Sep 08 07 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Ralph Corrigan

Boca Raton, Florida, US

Thanks for sharing, Cheese.

And one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet - do y'all see what you can do with relatively middle of the road equipment?

This should be a glaring lesson for all aspiring artists in "its not the equipment, its how the photographer uses it".

Sep 08 07 08:12 am Link