Forums > Photography Talk > Ok, THIS is how i do it.....

Model

kristenvictoria

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q246/rhoceez/tut5.jpg

i really love ur work

Sep 08 07 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brian Hillburn wrote:

Actually,great idea. I love the tones on the avatar.

Well it WAS the secondary point of this thread.

Sep 08 07 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Novus Ordo wrote:

Well it WAS the secondary point of this thread.

Actually,I was referring to you commenting on Beach's B/W conversion.
I'm already taking notes on what you've taught today. I wish I had something to shoot now so I could practice it...sigh

Sep 08 07 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brian Hillburn wrote:

Actually,I was referring to you commenting on Beach's B/W conversion.
I'm already taking notes on what you've taught today. I wish I had something to shoot now so I could practice it...sigh

I say we get a model and go up to that location tomorrow and do it Brian/Novus style.

Sep 08 07 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

I think you left a bunch of stuff out. Just looking at your original and your finished product.

Hmmm... You forgot to mention your WB and your manipulation of a bunch of highlights.

RB

Sep 08 07 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

RBDesign wrote:
I think you left a bunch of stuff out. Just looking at your original and your finished product.

Hmmm... You forgot to mention your WB and your manipulation of a bunch of highlights.

RB

No i actually didn't.  The white balance is the same as it was out of camera, and the only other thing i did was smooth out some things on the models skin and dodge and burn her legs.  that's the only step I didn't post a screen of.

Sep 08 07 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Novus Ordo wrote:

No i actually didn't.  The white balance is the same as it was out of camera, and the only other thing i did was smooth out some things on the models skin and dodge and burn her legs.  that's the only step I didn't post a screen of.

I was talking about your WB in camera and the dodge that you left out.

RB

Sep 08 07 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

RBDesign wrote:

I was talking about your WB in camera and the dodge that you left out.

RB

How is it leaving out what i did in photoshop if it was done in camera?

And I SAID that i dodged and burned and skin corrected, that is written in there.  It's not left out,

Sep 08 07 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Novus Ordo wrote:

How is it leaving out what i did in photoshop if it was done in camera?

And I SAID that i dodged and burned and skin corrected, that is written in there.  It's not left out,

I was just saying that you left out some of the most important parts.

RB

Sep 08 07 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

RBDesign wrote:

I was just saying that you left out some of the most important parts.

RB

Not really.

Sep 08 07 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Novus Ordo wrote:

No no, let them believe that it's all photoshop.  Just proves to me that they must not be that good if they can't fathom how I get my photos to look that way without a shit load of PS work.

https://images23.fotki.com/v866/photos/1/156060/4923150/Zingbutton-vi.gif

Sep 08 07 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

D-O-N-S-I-R

Norwalk, California, US

Man, when I grow up, I'll post some of my "how-tos" here.  Thank you for your generosity.  Personally, even if you handed someone your camera and held their finger over the button to shoot, then walked them through every step of PS you do, they still wouldn't come out looking like yours.  It's just your own magic touch.  Cheers!
Don

Sep 08 07 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Danny Does Glamour

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Beach wrote:

I end with a counterclockwise swirl.

Weird. I end with a counterclockwise swirl yet our pictures look completely different.

Danny

Sep 08 07 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Danny Does Glamour

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Novus Ordo wrote:
Nobody else wants to add some of their most questioned techniques?

I would share my technique if it wasn't for the fact that I'm winging it through every shoot.

Danny

Sep 08 07 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Beach

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Brian Hillburn wrote:

Actually,great idea. I love the tones on the avatar.

hey, thanks man, and thanks for the pic comment. Watching the Gamecocks kick some bulldog ass right now, but I'll put something together later tonight if people are interested.

Sep 08 07 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Beach

GFP Studios wrote:

I would share my technique if it wasn't for the fact that I'm winging it through every shoot.

Danny

lol, I know how you feel. I'm going to start bringing bananas to shoots, I'm chimping so much.

Sep 08 07 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Danny Does Glamour

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Beach wrote:

lol, I know how you feel. I'm going to start bringing bananas to shoots, I'm chimping so much.

I've never heard the term "chimping" before. I had to go look it up! I'm so completely guilty!

Danny

Sep 08 07 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Beach

GFP Studios wrote:

I've never heard the term "chimping" before. I had to go look it up! I'm so completely guilty!

Danny

haha, that's great

http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_fe … index.html

Sep 08 07 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Brooks Ayola

Chatsworth, California, US

Novus Ordo wrote:
Nobody else wants to add some of their most questioned techniques?

I used to get email all the time from people asking me about lighting, so I decided to put it on every image on my blog. Now I only get them occasionally. I don't even go into much detail. :-)

Sep 08 07 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jared Holder

Speightstown, Saint Peter, Barbados

Beach wrote:

I applaud your initial posting, but this one reeks of whininess. It's pretty hard to commiserate with someone who is complaining about attention and accolade they brought upon themselves.

You are being serious? I would have thought he would just start ignoring people asking him to hold their hand.

They want complaining for!

Sep 08 07 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Beach wrote:

hey, thanks man, and thanks for the pic comment. Watching the Gamecocks kick some bulldog ass right now, but I'll put something together later tonight if people are interested.

**ahem**

Sep 08 07 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Kent Johnson Photograph

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Star Date 2007, We have beamed down somewhere in North America...

Captain Kirk to Scottie;

Kirk, Give me Warp 8 on the saturation Scottie.

Scottie, She'll nooo take it Captin...

Sep 09 07 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ewing

Riverside, California, US

Ransom-The Cheese-J wrote:

I expected people to go out and shoot and try and experiment and learn from the info they were given coupled with their own experiences.  Shame on me for that.

I'm going out and buying one of those battery backups today!  If it doesn't work, I'll just take it back.  I'm not too worried.  I also have an extensive background in electronics and even replacing SMD's.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS THREAD.  I don't need you to hold my hand, but maybe I'll make a deal with the model.  wink

Sep 09 07 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

She's one of a kind.

Good luck with that lol.

Vegas is like a 6 hour drive.  Maybe 5.....

Sep 09 07 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kent Johnson Photograph wrote:
Star Date 2007, We have beamed down somewhere in North America...

Captain Kirk to Scottie;

Kirk, Give me Warp 8 on the saturation Scottie.

Scottie, She'll nooo take it Captin...

I suppose that was funny.

I suppose.

Sep 09 07 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Lancaster, California, US

you know you could drag most of them out to the desert, set up the lights, the props, the models, and turn around and tell them to capture the scene like you do it and they still couldn't.

aces to you for sharing the technique, but you are way too modest.

the reason the pics rock ain't cause the techniques, its cause its YOUR style and you direct the models and you make it rock.

Sep 09 07 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

This is a really cool idea.  Thanks for sharing it. 

I think it'd be great if other photographers were willing to write posts like this to show how they get their shots.  Hell, maybe we could have a forum just for that.

Sep 09 07 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ed Burns Photography wrote:
I think it'd be great if other photographers were willing to write posts like this to show how they get their shots.  Hell, maybe we could have a forum just for that.

I agree.

Sep 09 07 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bump for the new messages this morning.

Sep 10 07 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

justicephotographs

Miami, Florida, US

Beach wrote:

haha, that's great

http://www.sportsshooter.com/special_fe … index.html

are you saying that he is CHIMPING

Sep 10 07 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jared Holder

You could probably just save the link to this thread in a text file. Then paste it into any responses.

Sep 10 07 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

justicephotographs

Miami, Florida, US

Novus Ordo wrote:

I agree.

i think this is true also.  it will help people come up with even more techniques and expand.

Sep 10 07 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jared H Photography wrote:
You could probably just save the link to this thread in a text file. Then paste it into any responses.

I also want OTHER photographers to possibly add to it one day.......but that doesn't seem to be working.

Sep 10 07 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jared Holder

Trade secrets man, lol.

Many prefer to give any tips or "how to's" on a personal basis. If at all.

Sep 10 07 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

J B

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
Cool, thanks.

One other thing. This picture..
https://img9.modelmayhem.com/070823/11/46cdb8b149924_m.jpg

You say you don't do much in post but this one has some stuff going on that seems to defy that statement. It appears the sun is creating the light on his right side (viewers left) and your strobes are doing the front work. The background is suppressed very well but the sun highlights are scorching. Whats up with that. Do I have the lights mixed up?

I see many layers! This is more along the lines of major photoshop work opposed to a Camera Raw image. At least 4-6 layers and major work done on the sky, shadow areas, model and backboard. Hammock is brighter than basketball pole? Nice photo, but no whre near a RAW image. Model may even be cut out and placed nicely in this photo but unlikely. Highpass filter applied ? smoothing? major dodge and burn while adijusting all levels.

Sep 10 07 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

J     B wrote:
I see many layers! This is more along the lines of major photoshop work opposed to a Camera Raw image. At least 4-6 layers and major work done on the sky, shadow areas, model and backboard. Nice photo, but no whre near a RAW image. Model may even be cut out and placed nicely in this photo.

I already explained what i did to that image.  And many layers wasn't it.  If you don't believe it it's not because it's not what happened, its because you choose not to believe it.

shot at 11 in the morning.  Sun was HIGH.  Cam on a timer, on camera flash.  That's it for lighting.

Did some dodging and burning and then added a high pass filter.  Save as jpeg, upload.

Sep 10 07 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

J B

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Novus Ordo wrote:

J     B wrote:
I see many layers! This is more along the lines of major photoshop work opposed to a Camera Raw image. At least 4-6 layers and major work done on the sky, shadow areas, model and backboard. Nice photo, but no whre near a RAW image. Model may even be cut out and placed nicely in this photo.

I already explained what i did to that image.  And many layers wasn't it.  If you don't believe it it's not because it's not what happened, its because you choose not to believe it.

I believe.

Sep 10 07 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

J     B wrote:

I believe.

So you posted in haste i assume.

Sep 10 07 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

justicephotographs

Miami, Florida, US

I think people underestimate the power of light. But what I believe is understated here is the math of lighting and distance of the lights to the subject as well as the lens.  All these factors play a major part in the quality of the photo.

And I feel it’s a shame that others are fearful of there talent and skills that they can’t place a skill not a secret in here. Yeah we learn a lot through trial and error but in so many cases someone told us something that sparked an idea and we got where we are.  No matter how many times I have tried over the weekend to mimic the OP shots I have not done so with satisfaction. Now I know I will get it and I will probably won’t ever use it but in trying to get there I am sure I will find other lighting techniques and the sort that I will love.  Its not about stealing someone’s work or even there talent ideas. There are very few original ideas. But some of the best ones have come of one idea that people thought could never be topped.

Sep 10 07 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Word.

Sep 10 07 04:53 pm Link