Forums > General Industry > This site is turning into another myspace

Photographer

CocoBongo

Mountain View, Arkansas, US

It seems inevitible, but most of the new members that are signing up are either borderline wannabe photographers or hobbyists who never modeled before in their life.

It's time this site starts reviewing profiles and only allow the ones that are at least resemble like they they could be a model or photographer.

Jun 05 05 01:43 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

Yes, lots of new members who have webcam pics.  However, I believe everybody starts somewhere.  I had crappy pictures when I first started but in a week, I had some good images to put up as a portfolio.  And now look at me !!!  smile 

Jun 05 05 01:47 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

We do review profiles, but we can't be online at all times. Wannabes are allowed. We all started somewhere.

Except you, of course.

Jun 05 05 01:50 pm Link

Model

Jin

So many people can only do so much.  As I always say...if you have a problem with a profile...don't look at it !!!  smile

Jun 05 05 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Maybe somebody should open a site for people who were never beginners?  www.IWasBornWithALoadedPortfolio.com?

Jun 05 05 02:09 pm Link

Model

Jin

LOL

Jun 05 05 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

This site is turning into another MySpace?

I thought this site was ALWAYS the concept of MySpace + OneModelPlace = ModelMayhem.

This site is turning into something it always was?

Jun 05 05 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

edrickguerrero photography

Pasadena, California, US

when is MM having it's first club party (a la myspace) besides that pizza meeting in socal?

Jun 05 05 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

One of my favorite models has all webcam pics!!
Maybe i see something you all dont!!
So can we find something else to be Anal about!!

Jun 05 05 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

FYH Photo

Santa Clara, California, US

A part of me agrees with the 'free society/democracy/live and let live' philosophy that welcomes absolutely everyone in the door.  There is a definite appeal of that kind of openness.  After all it IS Tyler's site and he can do with it as he wants.  We are just all guests in his house.

Of course there is always another part of me that get frustrated when I have to wade through a SEA of webcam pics, snapshots and really BAD amateur pics, in order to get through to people who might actually want to work together, talk about the industry, or have a relevant opinion about the industry. 

I can see both sides.  Even when I was first starting, I tried really hard to do the best I could with the equipment I had, and I only displayed the best I had ... at the time.  Everyone's a beginner at one point, but I can see his point about 'wondering' about some of the folks who post really bad pics.   What are they thinking?

Again, I'm not necessarily taking any sides.  I reiterate my point that I am merely a guest in someone else's house and I happily abide by their rules.  Thank you sir may I have another? wink

FYH

Jun 05 05 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Karlton Photo

Saint Charles, Illinois, US

Posted by LarryB: 
Maybe somebody should open a site for people who were never beginners?  www.IWasBornWithALoadedPortfolio.com?

NOW THAT...is hilarious!
There are some on here that probably don't belong...
One in particular from Myspace that I am sure is not a photographer or an agency/promoter as he claims to be...but it is difficult to weed them all out. It takes people + time = $ and we are getting this awesome place to network for free...unless everyone who is so worried about it wants to contribute their time in checking profiles and portfolios????

Not much you can do about it...there are several models on OMP who have webcam pics too! Unfortunately  it is too time consuming to go back every month or so to see if they finally updated with real images.

Just fogetaboutit! Life is too short to sweat the small stuff!
Just keep doing what you do...thats all we can do!

Jun 05 05 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Whenever I invite someone new to MM, I tell them that it combines all the best things about OMP and MySpace, without the baggage of either place.  What is it about photographers that they have to belong to some "exclusive" society in order to feel important?  I understand my contemporaries less and less as time goes on.  We were all wannabes at one point or another -- I personally relish any chance I get to help someone new make their way in their art.

Jun 05 05 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yeah, sites like blah blah and blah blah blah basically allow blah blah blahs and their blah blahs to come on blah blah and that results in blah blah blah and other blah blah.

There should be blah blah and more of blah blah rather than blah blah blah'ing, but then people would not blah blah and cause others to blah blah. What happens when blah blah and blah-zays blah blah about blah and blah then none of us could blah and get even more blah. So blah, we should all blah, because really, none of this blah means diddley-blah and results in paying blah commercial blah clients.

Just my two blahs

Jun 05 05 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
Yeah, sites like blah blah and blah blah blah basically allow blah blah blahs and their blah blahs to come on blah blah and that results in blah blah blah and other blah blah.

There should be blah blah and more of blah blah rather than blah blah blah'ing, but then people would not blah blah and cause others to blah blah. What happens when blah blah and blah-zays blah blah about blah and blah then none of us could blah and get even more blah. So blah, we should all blah, because really, none of this blah means diddley-blah and results in paying blah commercial blah clients.

Just my two blahs

Sorry.  Could you repeat that?  :-/

Sanders McNew
www.mcnew.net

Jun 05 05 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Sanders McNew: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Just my two blahs

Sorry.  Could you repeat that?  :-/

Sanders McNew
www.mcnew.net

Which part?

Jun 05 05 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by CocoBongo: 
It seems inevitible, but most of the new members that are signing up are either borderline wannabe photographers or hobbyists who never modeled before in their life.

It's time this site starts reviewing profiles and only allow the ones that are at least resemble like they they could be a model or photographer.

What does a photographer look like?
We have a forum on that already...
What does a model look like..im sure you can find 20 threads on that one!!!

Posted by Melvin Moten Jr: 
Whenever I invite someone new to MM, I tell them that it combines all the best things about OMP and MySpace, without the baggage of either place.  What is it about photographers that they have to belong to some "exclusive" society in order to feel important?  I understand my contemporaries less and less as time goes on.  We were all wannabes at one point or another -- I personally relish any chance I get to help someone new make their way in their art.

Posted by LarryB: 

Quit your Bitchin and shoot those that need to be shot!!

Courtesy of the "Phantom Zone"

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics/424c7320b2b9d.jpg

Posted by Tyler: 
Yes, of course, it could be considered "art"... (sigh).. but this is, like someone earlier said, Model Mayhem.

Jun 05 05 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Liberty Lake, Washington, US

I could be wrong but I think that is an elitist statement.. Especially coming from someone who considers themselves an amateur.

This arguement about who is a photographer and who is a model is getting old.

There are alot of people who are just starting out in this field whether photographers or models and they need to start somewhere. I for one am constantly learning how to shoot (teaching myself, can't afford school) and feel I am getting better but this site was not created for an elite group of people. If a model has nothing but webcam photos posted why not try and help them get better photos instead of ctiticising them and telling them they do not belong here. Same with photographers, help out the photographers who need a little help instead of telling them they do not belong here.

The model could be the next supermodel who needed a leg up in the industry and will remember those people who did help him/her. The same could happen with the photographers that struggling photographer could be the next Ansel Adams...Who knows.

If you want a website that only caters to what you perceive as what a model is or what a photographer is then create you own site where you control who gains membership and who doesn't.

Just my thoughts.

Posted by CocoBongo: 

Jun 05 05 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 
This site is turning into another MySpace?

I thought this site was ALWAYS the concept of MySpace + OneModelPlace = ModelMayhem.

This site is turning into something it always was?

Yeah, what he said.

Posted by edrickguerrero photography: 
when is MM having it's first club party (a la myspace) besides that pizza meeting in socal?

Yeah!  An industry party!  Sounds like fun!

Jun 05 05 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Just my two blahs

I think I need to re-calibarte my monitor...it just looks really "blah" right now.

wink

Jun 05 05 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by CocoBongo: 

Yeah... let's keep the amateurs out of here!

Geez... Coco Bongo...this is your SECOND post and you bitch about the quality...

What was your FIRST post in here?

Jun 05 05 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Posted by Udo R Photography: 

Posted by CocoBongo: 

Yeah... let's keep the amateurs out of here!

Geez... Coco Bongo...this is your SECOND post and you bitch about the quality...

What was your FIRST post in here?

LOL....

Jun 05 05 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by CocoBongo: 

if this weed out process begins..do you think you'll be around long enough to see how it turns out?

Jun 05 05 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by CocoBongo: 

if this weed out process begins..do you think you'll be around long enough to see how it turns out?

OOOOPS!!

Jun 05 05 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by CocoBongo: 

OUCH!!!!

Jun 05 05 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by CocoBongo: 

did i actually type that?...i thought i just thought it....

Jun 05 05 04:54 pm Link

Model

Jin

LOL...hmmmm, no wonder I don't take these forums seriously !!!

Photographer

Visual Edge

Fenton, Michigan, US

Is there someone out there that the very first time they picked up a camera, knew everything about shutter speed white balance, etc and had no more to learn? If so where was the motivation to continue photography? They already knew it all. Since I doubt any of us can claim we know it all there is always something new to learn about photography. The wannabe photographers you refer to could some day be the next big thing provided they learn the skills and have the passion to continue learning.

The topic of the GWC versus the Professional photographer has been beat to death in these forums and has it changed anything? No, the GWC’s are still here and are most likely here to stay. Any of us that make a living from photography are affected to varying degrees by the GWC. As some have pointed out they feel no threat from the GWC, while others do. Some say that the GWC make the Pro’s look bad because the conduct themselves unprofessionally, this may be true in some cases, but there have been plenty of people that make a living as “Pro photographers” that conduct themselves just as unprofessional as the GWC.

If you put your ego aside long enough you may realize we are all just GWC’s, just some of us have gone to school, honed our skills and been at it awhile. Being a professional photographer takes time, sacrifice and dedication but every one of us that can say we are professional started out making one key decision, we “wanted” to pick up that camera.

I am sure many of us get frustrated when we see a new model with web cam pics in their portfolio demanding paid only shoots. But assuming that all models with web cam pics have less potential or some how taint the process is a shallow way of thinking. Will every person that puts up a portfolio make it as a model? Probably not, but should they just give up without trying, no!

Only the people that set up this site can say specifically why the did it but I doubt their motivation was to set up a site for only photographers and models that had perfect portfolios or only those that have nothing left to learn (legends in your own minds included). If that was the case they could get by with a smaller server and probably would have chosen a different name than Model Mayhem.

Just like most things in life art is in constant change. The internet is obviously a catalyst for this. The resources and tools of the trade are under constant change. With that in mind see the definition of Mayhem below and maybe you will see how fitting a name it is. Then again maybe some of you won’t. Nice thing is that this site still accepts those of all opinions and does so for free.

mayhem
A    noun
    1     havoc, mayhem

Category Tree:
act; human_action; human_activity
╚action
╚change
╚motion; movement; move; motility
╚disturbance
╚havoc, mayhem

Photographer

David Holloway

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by CocoBongo: 

ROFLMAO

Jun 05 05 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Posted by Visual Edge: 
Is there someone out there that the very first time they picked up a camera, knew everything about shutter speed white balance, etc and had no more to learn? If so where was the motivation to continue photography? They already knew it all. Since I doubt any of us can claim we know it all there is always something new to learn about photography. The wannabe photographers you refer to could some day be the next big thing provided they learn the skills and have the passion to continue learning.

The topic of the GWC versus the Professional photographer has been beat to death in these forums and has it changed anything? No, the GWC’s are still here and are most likely here to stay. Any of us that make a living from photography are affected to varying degrees by the GWC. As some have pointed out they feel no threat from the GWC, while others do. Some say that the GWC make the Pro’s look bad because the conduct themselves unprofessionally, this may be true in some cases, but there have been plenty of people that make a living as “Pro photographers” that conduct themselves just as unprofessional as the GWC.

If you put your ego aside long enough you may realize we are all just GWC’s, just some of us have gone to school, honed our skills and been at it awhile. Being a professional photographer takes time, sacrifice and dedication but every one of us that can say we are professional started out making one key decision, we “wanted” to pick up that camera.

I am sure many of us get frustrated when we see a new model with web cam pics in their portfolio demanding paid only shoots. But assuming that all models with web cam pics have less potential or some how taint the process is a shallow way of thinking. Will every person that puts up a portfolio make it as a model? Probably not, but should they just give up without trying, no!

Only the people that set up this site can say specifically why the did it but I doubt their motivation was to set up a site for only photographers and models that had perfect portfolios or only those that have nothing left to learn (legends in your own minds included). If that was the case they could get by with a smaller server and probably would have chosen a different name than Model Mayhem.

Just like most things in life art is in constant change. The internet is obviously a catalyst for this. The resources and tools of the trade are under constant change. With that in mind see the definition of Mayhem below and maybe you will see how fitting a name it is. Then again maybe some of you won’t. Nice thing is that this site still accepts those of all opinions and does so for free.

mayhem
A    noun
    1     havoc, mayhem

Category Tree:
act; human_action; human_activity
╚action
╚change
╚motion; movement; move; motility
╚disturbance
╚havoc, mayhem

Well said!!!

Jun 05 05 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Posted by David Holloway: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by CocoBongo: 

ROFLMAO

Anyone seen my chair? I fell out of it laughing.

Jun 05 05 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

CocoBongo

Mountain View, Arkansas, US

Like I said, if you just want to have fun and play around and meet people, this is a great place. If you want to find a semi-professional model or photographer, then you are better off with the other paysites that at least review people.

Jun 05 05 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

Posted by CocoBongo: 

Jun 05 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

stokesfoto

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I've seen some amazing work which included models who had never shot before.  I agree with the "we all start somewhere" sentiment.  In fact, I'm in the process of scheduling a shoot with someone that took all their own pictures with what appears to be a web cam.  I'm sure it will be a productive shoot and the model will have more material for their portfolio.  It's worth repeating - "we all have to start somewhere".  I have seen a couple "I'm just here to check out my friends pics" accounts.  But I'm sure those get weeded out eventually.

Jun 05 05 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Posted by CocoBongo: 
If you want to find a semi-professional model or photographer, then you are better off with the other paysites that at least review people.

I think that is rather insulting to those people on this site who are very serious about their craft. Who are you to judge this site and those on the site and like Doug said if this site decided to review those who join as to if they meet the "standards" you are making do you think you would be meet them?

Jun 05 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

Posted by CocoBongo: 

Hello Sir...dont be a bully with the wannabes...maybe someday you will be chief of staff of National Geographic, but today you are one of them... Like all of us were .Tito Trelles

Jun 05 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Posted by CocoBongo: 
Like I said, if you just want to have fun and play around and meet people, this is a great place. If you want to find a semi-professional model or photographer, then you are better off with the other paysites that at least review people.

Absolutely not true.  I've met and connected with more PRO LEVEL models and photographers here in just over a month than the ENTIRE time I've been on OMP.  I've worked with three models so far and I'm planning shooting trips to Chicago, SanFrancisco and Philly/NYC...all from contacts I've made here.  If you'd rather go to OMP and pay to be a tiny fish in a big pond, be my guest, but I think MM is the best thing to happen in a long, long time.

Jun 05 05 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Posted by CocoBongo: 

That's funny.... There are big time pros on here both model and photographer alike.. I still haven't heard how you became qualified to determine who is or is not a photographer or model....

And if this is a site for models and fashion/glamour photography (including ever genre in between using models) I am still waiting to see that perfect portfolio that would qualify you to be on this site...

Jun 05 05 05:11 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

were you just thinking out loud again? Dang, I hate when that happens!

Jun 05 05 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Those thoughts keep jumping out....

Jun 05 05 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Posted by CocoBongo: 

If you don't like what they have, don't add them as a friend. Its not that hard.

Jun 05 05 05:27 pm Link