Forums > Critique > 2am NYC time... time for a (brutal) critique

Photographer

John Ferrentino

Merritt Island, Florida, US

missjenny wrote:

oh sorry if it's a little ambiguous. i live in new york, but i travel to paris, france often.

Do You travel or work in Paris because the "big Hat Picture was a Bill board and train ad. You may have seen it.
Thanks
JOHN

Apr 06 08 03:02 am Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

John Ferrentino wrote:

Do You travel or work in Paris because the "big Hat Picture was a Bill board and train ad. You may have seen it.
Thanks
JOHN

i'm french, so though i live in new york, i go to paris often.
i haven't seen your photo before.
you asked for a critique, don't get angry when i give it to you.
i'm not the queen of critiques. and i'm sure there are some things you have to say about mine that may not be so nice.
don't get offended. it's all in good fun!

Apr 06 08 03:04 am Link

Retoucher

WeathermanGFX

Tampa, Florida, US

missjenny wrote:

very creative!
you need more stuff, but keep shooting. looks good so far.

aww that's not brutal at all so i must be doing good

Apr 06 08 03:05 am Link

Photographer

John Ferrentino

Merritt Island, Florida, US

missjenny wrote:

i'm french, so though i live in new york, i go to paris often.
i haven't seen your photo before.
you asked for a critique, don't get angry when i give it to you.
i'm not the queen of critiques. and i'm sure there are some things you have to say about mine that may not be so nice.
don't get offended. it's all in good fun!

No Iam not angry or anything. I was just asking what that Paris Ny Ny ment.
I love France I appricate you taking the time to look and I am a new yourker you know that is how we come across. LOL
Hug and make up lol

Apr 06 08 03:11 am Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

i'm about to go to bed.
any last minute ones before i say bye bye?

Apr 06 08 03:31 am Link

Photographer

Jim Hickcox

Austin, Texas, US

I feel like you're hardly brutal at all.
I don't even know what a shutter button IS. Tear me apart.

Apr 06 08 03:31 am Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Jim Hickcox wrote:
I feel like you're hardly brutal at all.
I don't even know what a shutter button IS. Tear me apart.

you have a good eye for photos. the chipmunk picture is so cute, as is the running boy picture and the barbed wire picture is cool.
the surreal accident photo..... i don't like. it makes me dizzy and makes me want to throw up. what if that guy really was dead and he was frying in the sun like that, after he was dead for a long time? barf.
apart from the photos i mentioned above, it looks like i could have taken them with a disposable camera.

what is THAT for brutal/mean?

Apr 06 08 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Jim Hickcox

Austin, Texas, US

Harsh, I love it.
Your taste in photos intrigues me. That running kid is a WAY worse picture than most of them.
And the reason you could take most of them with a disposable is because they're not posed or lit. I will accept your criticism.

Really the only thing that makes me sad is that nobody loves the meteorites and gold nuggets picture.

Apr 06 08 03:43 am Link

Photographer

Untouchable Photography

La Verne, California, US

lemme know wat u think. thanks

Apr 06 08 03:47 am Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Jim Hickcox wrote:
Harsh, I love it.
Your taste in photos intrigues me. That running kid is a WAY worse picture than most of them.
And the reason you could take most of them with a disposable is because they're not posed or lit. I will accept your criticism.

Really the only thing that makes me sad is that nobody loves the meteorites and gold nuggets picture.

ok.. that was one of the other ones. i liked that one too but forgot to mention it.

Apr 06 08 03:48 am Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Untouchable Photography wrote:
lemme know wat u think. thanks

what on EARTH were you thinking to fill practically your whole port with such a model?
work on your post production. i could have taken these photos and put them online and said i was a photographer. try some concepts, or something. shooting a model in front of a wall has been done 2934870193741 times before.
i don't find your port particularly creative.

Apr 06 08 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Untouchable Photography

La Verne, California, US

missjenny wrote:

what on EARTH were you thinking to fill practically your whole port with such a model?
work on your post production. i could have taken these photos and put them online and said i was a photographer. try some concepts, or something. shooting a model in front of a wall has been done 2934870193741 times before.
i don't find your port particularly creative.

so is there a problem with my model?

Apr 06 08 04:01 am Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Untouchable Photography wrote:

so is there a problem with my model?

if the point of photography is to show your skill in making a beautiful thing more beautiful, then the model in the avatar doesn't work. she is very ordinary and i think with a better model, your shots would not have been so mediocre. i don't like her because she has no expression in her face.

Apr 06 08 04:08 am Link

Photographer

Untouchable Photography

La Verne, California, US

missjenny wrote:

if the point of photography is to show your skill in making a beautiful thing more beautiful, then the model in the avatar doesn't work. she is very ordinary and i think with a better model, your shots would not have been so mediocre. i don't like her because she has no expression in her face.

that was kind of the whole point, some one taking a break from time and not having any expressions wat so ever

Apr 06 08 04:10 am Link

Model

Becka Koffler

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

me, even though my ports still self shot and self retouched =/

Apr 06 08 04:10 am Link

Photographer

Mr Black

BRONX, New York, US

shoot

Apr 06 08 04:16 am Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Becka Koffler wrote:
me, even though my ports still self shot and self retouched =/

very cute girl.
i don't like the last few pictures as they are all "hands behind the head" poses.
but, as you said, it's all self-shot and self-retouched.
with your look you won't have a hard time getting shoots. but get on it immediately and ask me again later.

Apr 06 08 04:18 am Link

Photographer

Some Photography

Oakland, California, US

Ok, do your thang.  Be honest, I like improvement.

Apr 06 08 04:18 am Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

steve digital photos wrote:
shoot

out of all your series, the ones with kiosha are my least favorite because she has no expression in her face. she just looks pissed off. she is not trying to convey any kind of emotion, so it makes the pictures suck. also, i'm not liking the middle picture in her series because it makes me believe that i'm a pirate spotting land from far away. it's best to leave those cheesy effects alone.
the pictures with charelle are my favorite--sorry if i spelled their names wrong. though while she didn't seem like she was trying to convey any emotion, she looked more expressive than the other girls. the background went well with the leopard shirt.
to me, it looks like the models just stood there and you took pictures of them. as a photographer, you should have a "vision" in mind for each model and direct them on how to achieve that vision. you are allowed to give them direction.

Apr 06 08 04:23 am Link

Photographer

Jim Hickcox

Austin, Texas, US

Darling, go to sleep.

Apr 06 08 04:26 am Link

Model

noelle mouse

Los Angeles, California, US

so i'm still green but i would love anything you want to say.  i mean, have at me!

Apr 06 08 04:26 am Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

cmFerrouge wrote:
Ok, do your thang.  Be honest, I like improvement.

i love your port, but i hate it at the same time.
i love it because it conveys the feeling of darkness. each photo evokes an emotion. though they may be kind of freaky and remind me of ghosts, it's better than reminding me of nothing at all. the genre isn't my cup of tea, but i can appreciate that you are very artistic.
on the other hand, some of the photos look cheap and look like a GWC took them. for instance: the superimposing one photo on the top of another. if you want to show the two photos, do so separately. why did you superimpose them? is it because you think they are complimentary? they aren't. if you think the original is lacking on its own, try some editing to make it stand out more. leave the superimpose button back in 1992.

Apr 06 08 04:29 am Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Jim Hickcox wrote:
Darling, go to sleep.

yikesyikesyikes holy crap 430 and i posted this at 2.
you're right.
i'll carry on tomorrow!
good night.

Apr 06 08 04:30 am Link

Model

Victoria Veins

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

ok, tell me.

Apr 06 08 04:30 am Link

Photographer

Some Photography

Oakland, California, US

missjenny wrote:

i love your port, but i hate it at the same time.
i love it because it conveys the feeling of darkness. each photo evokes an emotion. though they may be kind of freaky and remind me of ghosts, it's better than reminding me of nothing at all. the genre isn't my cup of tea, but i can appreciate that you are very artistic.
on the other hand, some of the photos look cheap and look like a GWC took them. for instance: the superimposing one photo on the top of another. if you want to show the two photos, do so separately. why did you superimpose them? is it because you think they are complimentary? they aren't. if you think the original is lacking on its own, try some editing to make it stand out more. leave the superimpose button back in 1992.

Thank you :-)

Apr 06 08 04:35 am Link

Photographer

Uniquely U Images

Spokane, Missouri, US

Be brutal be honest.

Apr 06 08 05:06 am Link

Photographer

BYS

Paris, Île-de-France, France

not even scared,miss
comment ça va au fait ?
tb

Apr 06 08 05:09 am Link

Model

Marijn

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

me please!

Apr 06 08 02:37 pm Link

Model

Jamie Werner

Austin, Texas, US

what do you think about mine??

Apr 06 08 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

JACOBFAKHERI

Abbott, Texas, US

sure, why not?

Apr 06 08 02:48 pm Link

Model

Angela Lauren

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I'd like to know what you think!

Apr 06 08 02:54 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

noelle arzillo wrote:
so i'm still green but i would love anything you want to say.  i mean, have at me!

first of all, your port is monotonous. all pictures look the same with the exception of the rag doll baby. this one is nice because it looks expensive and like a lot of time and effort was put into making it beautiful.
on the other hand, your pictures with the bubbles GOT TO GO. why? i don't see where you are trying to go with these pictures, unless you want to look like a young handicapped child. (sorry if that's harsh). the pictures look forced. also, you seem to have the look of a deer in headlights in front of the camera. have a gwc friend shoot you over and over until it becomes second nature to be in front of the camera. you look uncomfortable.

Apr 06 08 03:36 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Victoria_Model wrote:
ok, tell me.

you are a beautiful girl, but you need to diversify your portfolio with more concept and vision. find a photographer whose work you really adore for his creativity and aesthetic beauty. the key word here is CREATIVITY. your photos all look like prom shots. and also, the black and white string swing thing is my least favorite because it's a concept that has been recycled since the beginning of time and the photographer didn't pull it off very well.
find better photographers to show your beauty.

Apr 06 08 03:40 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Uniquely U Images wrote:
Be brutal be honest.

your picture with cheyenne beverly is the best in your port because you aced the lighting and shadows here. also, you have a good choice in model for this photo. while she may not be conventionally beautiful, there is some emotion and expression in her face that she was able to pull off like a pro.
the ones with the white backdrop suck because they are really plain. it looks like you are just shooting people in costumes and the poses look too orchestrated.
keep doing what you're doing with the face shots. your full body shots need work. try to shoot somewhere other than in front of a backdrop. involve the environment in the pictures, you are not only shooting the model, but the scene as well.

Apr 06 08 03:45 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

BYS wrote:
not even scared,miss
comment ça va au fait ?
tb

You're on my top for a reason. All your shots are very creative and the post production, very professional. But withe all this art and imagination you are still lacking one very important thing that will always hold you back in life.....me in your port =P Now that is HARSH!

et ca va bien, merci!!!!! j'espere que tu vas bien aussi.

Apr 06 08 03:49 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Marijn wrote:
me please!

you are beautiful and you know it. excellent port, but try to work with even more photographers to round it out. i cant find anything bad with your port. good job

Apr 06 08 03:51 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Jamie Werner wrote:
what do you think about mine??

the work you did with nathan appel is great. it shows creativity and post-production love. the rest are disposable. i would get rid of them if i were you and look for more photographers to work with that have a wider range of styles. you have a look that can be used with different styles. if all else fails, shoot with nathan appel again. he can pull off more than one set.

Apr 06 08 03:56 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Jacob Fakheri wrote:
sure, why not?

I like the model, i like what you did with the lights......but where the hell are the rest of your pictures? you have 453 friends and only one picture? come on man, get moving!

Apr 06 08 03:59 pm Link

Model

Olivier

Brussels, Brussels, Belgium

Bonsoir smile

What about me ?

Apr 06 08 04:02 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Angela Lauren wrote:
I'd like to know what you think!

I like the second picture you have, shot by Stephen Thorne, this is the only fashion photo out of your port that catches my eye. i think the other ones fall flat because the pose is too boring. try looking in some fashion magazines for inspiration.

Apr 06 08 04:04 pm Link