Forums > Critique > 2am NYC time... time for a (brutal) critique

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Oliver le Creole  wrote:
Bonsoir smile

What about me ?

your pics are good.. each one tells a story and you show emotion in your eyes. each picture has something note worthy, whether its the contrast, your expression, or the concept. The last one, however, needs to go. Either reshoot it after a wax or with underwear. (unless you want to look like Ron Jeremy)

Apr 06 08 04:10 pm Link

Model

Olivier

Brussels, Brussels, Belgium

missjenny wrote:

your pics are good.. each one tells a story and you show emotion in your eyes. each picture has something note worthy, whether its the contrast, your expression, or the concept. The last one, however, needs to go. Either reshoot it after a wax or with underwear. (unless you want to look like Ron Jeremy)

LOL

Cheers madame

have a nice day

Apr 06 08 04:16 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Oliver le Creole  wrote:

LOL

Cheers madame

have a nice day

I always do wink

Good luck with the port.

Apr 06 08 04:20 pm Link

Model

Doll Thompson

Hammond, Louisiana, US

Go for it. ^_^

Apr 06 08 04:20 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

TwistedDoll wrote:
Go for it. ^_^

Your first picture is good. I don't like the rest. The shots are terrible. The ideas are nice, maybe. I say maybe because the shots don't really bring out the "magic" you and the photographer are trying to convey. When posing, avoid looking down, it gives you a double chin. You like that Dark/Haunted and Wiccan theme. Thats cool. Go get your self a good photographer that either knows how to, or who can do some good post production work on you port.

Apr 06 08 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

R Flowers Photography

Lakeville, Massachusetts, US

Ok lets do this

Apr 06 08 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jack Martin1

Santa Cruz, California, US

Yes, please.

Perhaps after you have some sleep... :}

Trying to make the models feel/look as beautiful as possible. Esp. where there has been substantial physical or other injury.

Thanks!

Jack

Apr 06 08 04:52 pm Link

Model

ShoshannaLisa

New York, New York, US

im game :-)

Apr 06 08 09:11 pm Link

Model

Ash3

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

I'd love to hear what you think.

Thanks in advance smile

Apr 06 08 09:22 pm Link

Model

Shabay

West Hollywood, California, US

Please!

Apr 06 08 09:27 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

R Flowers Photography wrote:
Ok lets do this

I don't know if you ever heard the term GWC...it means "Guy With Camera" Thats what you are at this point. you have a couple of shots of girls in bikinis or underwear. I'm sure you have some creativity in you. Express it! All the poses are generic. Tell them how to stand, where to stand, how to feel. Try to instill an emotion in the model....

Apr 06 08 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Unknown Profile

New York, New York, US

None

Apr 06 08 10:31 pm Link

Model

MONTGOMERY

Los Angeles, California, US

me next

Apr 06 08 10:31 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Jack Martin1 wrote:
Yes, please.

Perhaps after you have some sleep... :}

Trying to make the models feel/look as beautiful as possible. Esp. where there has been substantial physical or other injury.

Thanks!

Jack

You have nice candid shots....but all you have, are candid shots. They're genuine, which is nice, but you're not a photographer yet. You want to make the model feel/look beautiful? Then create an image, a beautiful image, that the model is a part of. We need more creativity and passion.

Apr 06 08 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

tenrocK photo

New York, New York, US

Salut! big_smile

Apr 06 08 10:35 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Shoshanna Lisa wrote:
im game :-)

Pretty well rounded port. Keep shooting. You definitely have a good look for high fashion, I'd look into photographers that lean towards this style.

Apr 06 08 10:38 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Ash Turner wrote:
I'd love to hear what you think.

Thanks in advance smile

I wouldn't call this much of a portfolio. (not that i'm one to talk)
anyway what i say is this:
all your poses are the same: head to the side. it's too generic and it leaves your shots looking like it was the same stuff shot on a different day. look into magazines for inspiration as far as poses go, if needed. lighten up in front of the camera. you look scurred. also, your photographs look like they were all shot by the same person. not sure if they were. shoot with more photographers.
also, get rid of the tattoo shot. this ads nothing to your port. maybe you can do a shot with the tattoo in it, but not just the tattoo. it looks like something that hangs on the wall of a tattoo parlor.

Apr 06 08 10:44 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Shannon Bayless wrote:
Please!

you got it down. you don't need my critique. just keep doing what you're doing.
(bitch) LoL

Apr 06 08 10:46 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Brandon J Walker wrote:

do it. do it.

I love the fact that you were able to shoot a pregnant woman in a tasteful manner. Not many can do that--they make the women look like cheap sluts.  You pulled it off beautifully.  Your port is very creative, which sets it apart from a lot of the other ports on here. Keep picking beautiful models and keep doing what you're doing... you don't need my critique.

Apr 06 08 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

L Pham Photography

New York, New York, US

why not?  smile

Apr 06 08 10:54 pm Link

Model

Ash3

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

missjenny wrote:
I wouldn't call this much of a portfolio. (not that i'm one to talk)
anyway what i say is this:
all your poses are the same: head to the side. it's too generic and it leaves your shots looking like it was the same stuff shot on a different day. look into magazines for inspiration as far as poses go, if needed. lighten up in front of the camera. you look scurred. also, your photographs look like they were all shot by the same person. not sure if they were. shoot with more photographers.
also, get rid of the tattoo shot. this ads nothing to your port. maybe you can do a shot with the tattoo in it, but not just the tattoo. it looks like something that hangs on the wall of a tattoo parlor.

I'm still new and I've only done one shoot so far, so I don't have much up there yet. I've heard that a lot now too, I'll try to relax more in front of the camara and try some new expressions and poses.
And yes, all my photos were shot by the same person.
Yeah, I know the tattoo picture isn't that wonderful either. I have a plan in mind of that. I just wanted to post it so people who know what it looked like. It's easier to show someone that picture rather than try and explain it to them.

Anyways, thanks for the advice smile

Apr 06 08 10:54 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Henry Montgomery wrote:
me next

The first picture I clicked on, which I wanted to see bigger, does not get any bigger.  WTF? How can you attract traffic to your portfolio and potential photographers and not have a higher resolution shot to show?
Half of your pictures look like your friends took them for you.  The other half aren't that well thought out.  For instance, in the pose where you are standing in your boxers, it is obviously a professionally taken photo. But the pose does nothing for you.  You have a nice torso and good muscle definition so either you or the photographer need to work on posing techniques.

Apr 06 08 10:55 pm Link

Model

Jess_kin

lets go!!

Apr 06 08 10:56 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

tenrocK photo wrote:
Salut! big_smile

The entire first page needs to go. I see that you were trying to go somewhere with some of the shots.....but it just didn't happened. Your black and whites however are passible. The models have good poses and attitude. But again, that first page and most of your other color shots are just lacking life.

Apr 06 08 11:02 pm Link

Model

Druax

Seattle, Washington, US

I would appreciate your opinion.  Thanks!

Apr 06 08 11:04 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

LTP Photography wrote:
why not?  smile

I like the shots. Poses and lighting work well together. You might want to try and shoot a wider range of images like the couple kissing. Also i'd ease up on the airbrush tools, some of the head shots looked to plastic.

Apr 06 08 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

L Pham Photography

New York, New York, US

missjenny wrote:

I like the shots. Poses and lighting work well together. You might want to try and shoot a wider range of images like the couple kissing. Also i'd ease up on the airbrush tools, some of the head shots looked to plastic.

Thanks for your opinion!!!  Just a quick question...the top two rows, do you think those look plastic?  They're my most recent work and I've been trying to go for the more "natural" look...

Apr 06 08 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Long Island Studios

Sayville, New York, US

I'm game

Apr 06 08 11:13 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Jess_kin wrote:
lets go!!

Your port is boooooring. You're a pretty girl, go out and find some photographers that know how to show you off. Fond noir is your best shot, it gives you a child like quality that alot of people find appealing. The rest of the shots are a little too generic for my taste. Keep going!

Apr 06 08 11:13 pm Link

Model

Shabay

West Hollywood, California, US

missjenny wrote:

you got it down. you don't need my critique. just keep doing what you're doing.
(bitch) LoL

haha thanks

Apr 06 08 11:14 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

LTP Photography wrote:

Thanks for your opinion!!!  Just a quick question...the top two rows, do you think those look plastic?  They're my most recent work and I've been trying to go for the more "natural" look...

Actually the top two rows are the shots i was referring to when i said i liked the poses and lighting. Yes they are alot better. definitely less plastic like. I'd use you for head shots.

Apr 06 08 11:15 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Druax wrote:
I would appreciate your opinion.  Thanks!

Well rounded port. some pics i would do without. The shot in jeans and a t-shirt where you are holding on to the ceiling joist i would get rid of, it has a bad light, bleaches you out. Also I would work on a little more muscle definition. Your first pictures looks good

Apr 06 08 11:18 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

Shannon Bayless wrote:

haha thanks

You're welcome, but you're still a bitch wink

Apr 06 08 11:19 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

NYC  Studios wrote:
I'm game

The port is diversified, which is always refreshing to see. The artistic nudes are very nice, the poses work well with the shadowing. The rest of your pictures are ok. The pic of the blonde in the zebra print sticks out like a soar thumb, looks like you owed someone a favor or something.

Apr 06 08 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Long Island Studios

Sayville, New York, US

LOL, MM shoot out in Queens. She quit modeling the next day....

Apr 06 08 11:26 pm Link

Model

helmutavedon

New York, New York, US

hit me

Apr 06 08 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

GARY HINDS

Greenville, South Carolina, US

IM GAME

Apr 06 08 11:48 pm Link

Model

Lydia007

Provincetown, Massachusetts, US

id love one!

Apr 06 08 11:49 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

helmutavedon wrote:
hit me

You need to build your port. Get some friends or amateur models and start shooting. Learn how to use photoshop or find someone who does. pay attention to poses when you flip through books or magazines. You have the "hands behind the head" pose all over the place. Also keep your background in mind when deciding what and how to shoot.

Apr 06 08 11:53 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Tyler

GARY HINDS wrote:
IM GAME

ok cow boy hat girl needs to go. I don't know what is going on there but its not helping your port. You're good with bright colors and girls in bikinis. I like the last pic, it has a candy feel to it. The other half of your pictures could use a little more effort with concept, expression, and lighting.

Apr 06 08 11:59 pm Link