Forums > Photography Talk > This is how i do it: Part Deux

Photographer

visual kink

View Park-Windsor Hills, California, US

Gone Til  Novus-ember wrote:

What part is over your head?

Everything. I own lights and a AB1600. I only time I ever got the results I wanted was the first time I used my AB and I had no clue what I doing. I have always used natural light or existing light. I think my photojournalist past has something to with it.

Jul 20 08 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Sir Montag

Dallas, Texas, US

Very nice, thanks for the video! How old are those WL's?

Jul 20 08 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Eric David wrote:

Everything. I own lights and a AB1600. I only time I ever got the results I wanted was the first time I used my AB and I had no clue what I doing. I have always used natural light or existing light. I think my photojournalist past has something to with it.

I learned the basics of how light traveled with hotlights.  Helped me understand what allt he little things that i did to light would do to the final picture.  never underestimate the power of some home depot specials.

Jul 20 08 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mapper-Montag wrote:
Very nice, thanks for the video! How old are those WL's?

The oldest is 25 years old, the "newest" ones are 22.

Jul 20 08 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

visual kink

I'll settle for just getting to shoot Obama.  wink

I have a all access press pass for the D.N.C. so I might get the chance to shoot Obama.

Jul 20 08 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Eric David wrote:

I have a all access press pass for the D.N.C. so I might get the chance to shoot Obama.

Nah i want to shoot him in a controlled setting.  A portrait.  It would make my decade.

Jul 20 08 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

visual kink

Nah i want to shoot him in a controlled setting.  A portrait.  It would make my decade.

That shoot would be life changing. It wouldn't hurt to ask his campaign headquarters. Everybody needs a great portrait.

Jul 21 08 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Simplesoul26

Columbia, Maryland, US

Nice work Ransom.  Thanks for sharing- definitely insightful in terms of lighting/ setup.

Jul 21 08 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Simplesoul26 wrote:
Nice work Ransom.  Thanks for sharing- definitely insightful in terms of lighting/ setup.

No prob bob!

Jul 21 08 12:18 am Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Los Angeles, California, US

novustimus prime -- holdin it down in the classroom!  you already know what it is homie!

Jul 21 08 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Kings Media Photos

Victorville, California, US

who is the first artist in the video??

Jul 21 08 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Amazing you aren't getting flare with the umbrellas. I love flare, but only when I'm trying to get it. I tend to get it with softboxes. I need to get some grids for them.

The saturation in these images is outstanding. Outstanding concept. Though I bet that whip cream started to go sour fast. Who got to take the model outside and hose her off? smile

Well done Ransom.

Jul 21 08 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Lee K

Palatine, Illinois, US

For a second I thought the second up close picture was a 100% crop and I almost shit myself.

Jul 21 08 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kings Media wrote:
who is the first artist in the video??

Keith Murray.  Says so in the credits.

Jul 21 08 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sean Armenta wrote:
novustimus prime -- holdin it down in the classroom!  you already know what it is homie!

Just trying to be the poor man's Sean Armenta. lol

Jul 21 08 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lee K wrote:
For a second I thought the second up close picture was a 100% crop and I almost shit myself.

???

Jul 21 08 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Gibson Photo Art wrote:
Amazing you aren't getting flare with the umbrellas. I love flare, but only when I'm trying to get it. I tend to get it with softboxes. I need to get some grids for them.

The saturation in these images is outstanding. Outstanding concept. Though I bet that whip cream started to go sour fast. Who got to take the model outside and hose her off? smile

Well done Ransom.

I rarely get flare with umbrellas.  I get it a lot with bare reflector and grids, but not with soft boxes or umbrellas.

And I think the MUA made brownies with the left overs lol.

Jul 21 08 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I rarely get flare with umbrellas.  I get it a lot with bare reflector and grids, but not with soft boxes or umbrellas.

And I think the MUA made brownies with the left overs lol.

I'm going to have to play with umbrellas more. Thanks for sharing Ransom.

Jul 21 08 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Gibson Photo Art wrote:

I'm going to have to play with umbrellas more. Thanks for sharing Ransom.

No prob!  Thanks for commenting.

Jul 21 08 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Sir Montag

Dallas, Texas, US

The oldest is 25 years old, the "newest" ones are 22.

How did you come to have a set of lights that old? Do they take the same tubes as the modern ones?

Jul 21 08 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I would love to share, but I don't think there is anything in my portfolio that is a big mystery.

Jul 21 08 02:03 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mapper-Montag wrote:
How did you come to have a set of lights that old? Do they take the same tubes as the modern ones?

first one was given to me by my mentor and the rest i bought on ebay.

And no, they don't. https://www.white-lightning.com/images/hardwarethumbs/wft36r.gif

Jul 21 08 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Gibson Photo Art wrote:
I would love to share, but I don't think there is anything in my portfolio that is a big mystery.

meh, nothing i posted was a mystery, but it's always nice to share.

Jul 21 08 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

One of the things that i want to be absorbed by this (especially for glamour photographers) was the amount of time and detail that went into the make up and styling of the shot.

The lighting isn't the complex and there isn't some extra complex set going on, it's just a remnant cloth from joanne's fabrics tacked to a wall.  What makes this shot interesting was the team (MUA) doing their part.  This is what separates "GWC" shit from publishable work.

Jul 21 08 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Girl In The Magazine

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dude,

There's no question that your stuff is the sh**, and it's been inspiring since I first got on MM.  Thanks for the jewels of knowledge, in both this and the previous thread.

That being said, I don't know if I would have replied if not for being so impressed with the music selections from the video!  I'm no Usher fan, but I was diggin' Keith Murray, then Meth on "Ice Cream"!  I never thought music would evolve into the disappointment it's become, and I feel like I'm someone's grandfather just saying that!

- B.Parks
www.girlinthemagazine.com

Jul 21 08 02:16 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bryant Parks wrote:
Dude,

There's no question that your stuff is the sh**, and it's been inspiring since I first got on MM.  Thanks for the jewels of knowledge, in both this and the previous thread.

That being said, I don't know if I would have replied if not for being so impressed with the music selections from the video!  I'm no Usher fan, but I was diggin' Keith Murray, then Meth on "Ice Cream"!  I never thought music would evolve into the disappointment it's become, and I feel like I'm someone's grandfather just saying that!

- B.Parks

hahaha yeah i didn't like the usher selection either, but i needed something to close out the vid and didn't want to use Bonita Applebum cause i wanted to hear the whole song, so i figured i'd use something i wouldn't mind cutting off halfway through.

Jul 21 08 02:20 am Link

Photographer

Girl In The Magazine

Chicago, Illinois, US

hahaha yeah i didn't like the usher selection either, but i needed something to close out the vid and didn't want to use Bonita Applebum cause i wanted to hear the whole song, so i figured i'd use something i wouldn't mind cutting off halfway through.

Do you use those vids on your websites?  I asked Dara some questions about that, but she wasn't exactly sure on the answers.  I guess I should PM you...

- B.Parks

Jul 21 08 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Shastri Babb

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Unrelated (kind of but it's a sick shot) but it's killing me. Who is she? And is there more of her to come?

https://www.rhotographic.com/DSC09045.jpg

Jul 21 08 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bryant Parks wrote:

Do you use those vids on your websites?  I asked Dara some questions about that, but she wasn't exactly sure on the answers.  I guess I should PM you...

- B.Parks

Well not THAT one, but yeah just PM me.  we're getting off topic.

Jul 21 08 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shastri Babb wrote:
Unrelated (kind of but it's a sick shot) but it's killing me. Who is she? And is there more of her to come?

https://www.rhotographic.com/DSC09045.jpg

Real unrelated.  But her name is Margarita.

Same girl from the candy rain shot in my profile.  And yeah I got a shit load of stuff on her.

Jul 21 08 02:30 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

good lord that gal's got a bike rack! oh and thanks for the lighting stuff smile

Jul 21 08 02:33 am Link

Photographer

Shastri Babb

Real unrelated.  But her name is Margarita.

Same girl from the candy rain shot in my profile.  And yeah I got a shit load of stuff on her.

Alright cool thx. Back on topic. I like the fact that there's not even that much work done after the shot. I was always curious to your lighting set up but now I know. I am on my first strobe and I'm breaking it in for the first time later today (in NY Monday) but I can see how a second strobe would benefit me after seeing your results and the way she pops from the background. In due time though. Kudos.

Jul 21 08 02:35 am Link

Photographer

RolandSaun Photography

Huntsville, Alabama, US

When I was in Vegas I really wanted to meet you and pick your brain. But since that did not happen I want to thank you for sharing here. You have been one of my favorite photographers on MM (so says my list) Great work. I will continue to watch, listen and learn so that my work will one day be in the ballpark with yours.
Roland

Jul 21 08 02:36 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shastri Babb wrote:

Alright cool thx. Back on topic. I like the fact that there's not even that much work done after the shot. I was always curious to your lighting set up but now I know. I am on my first strobe and I'm breaking it in for the first time later today (in NY Monday) but I can see how a second strobe would benefit me after seeing your results and the way she pops from the background. In due time though. Kudos.

Yah.  You can do magic with one light, but the more you add the more magic you can produce.  Remember that you're sculpting with light.  Your viewer will look at the picture the way you light it.  Their eyes will flow the way you light it.  You need to remember that going into it.

Jul 21 08 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Captured Moments wrote:
When I was in Vegas I really wanted to meet you and pick your brain. But since that did not happen I want to thank you for sharing here. You have been one of my favorite photographers on MM (so says my list) Great work. I will continue to watch, listen and learn so that my work will one day be in the ballpark with yours.
Roland

You can always come to the Workshop that Will Springfield Bruce Talbot and myself are putting on in September! lol

Jul 21 08 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Girl In The Magazine

Chicago, Illinois, US

Well not THAT one, but yeah just PM me.  we're getting off topic.

Ok, here's a question that's on topic:  Do you use selective color to intensify the color of your model's skin as well?

- B.Parks

Jul 21 08 02:43 am Link

Photographer

RolandSaun Photography

Huntsville, Alabama, US

You can always come to the Workshop that Will Springfield Bruce Talbot and myself are putting on in September! lol

Sounds like a plan.
Q? What was your camera settings?

Jul 21 08 02:43 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Captured Moments wrote:

Sounds like a plan.
Q? What was your camera settings?

Also, for the info of this thread, i always shoot manual,  typically shoot sharpness +1, contrast=normal,  saturation +1, vivid,  fine jpeg or RAW+jpeg

f10

1/160

Jul 21 08 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bryant Parks wrote:

Ok, here's a question that's on topic:  Do you use selective color to intensify the color of your model's skin as well?

- B.Parks

no.  I didn't use selective coloring at all in this shot.

Jul 21 08 02:55 am Link

Photographer

Shastri Babb

Yah.  You can do magic with one light, but the more you add the more magic you can produce.  Remember that you're sculpting with light.  Your viewer will look at the picture the way you light it.  Their eyes will flow the way you light it.  You need to remember that going into it.

Gotcha.

Jul 21 08 03:01 am Link