Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Captured Moments wrote:
Leave a link to the workshop info.

No doubt.

Jul 21 08 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Eric Haywood

Thanks for sharing.  I still have your other thread bookmarked.

Jul 21 08 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Eric Haywood wrote:
Thanks for sharing.  I still have your other thread bookmarked.

Cool.

I kinda want to know what the MUA's think about the vid.  Does it help them any?  I mean it's mainly for photographers but I did try to showcase the make up as much as possible in the first part of the vid.

Jul 21 08 04:15 am Link

Model

Just Jeneva

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Nice video, but now I'm hungry though, thanks wink *has a sudden craving for cupcakes*

Love the makeup too smile

Jul 21 08 04:21 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Los Angeles, California, US

Gone Til  Novus-ember wrote:

Cool.

I kinda want to know what the MUA's think about the vid.  Does it help them any?  I mean it's mainly for photographers but I did try to showcase the make up as much as possible in the first part of the vid.

How long did it take for her to do the makeup?

Jul 21 08 04:35 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

LADY SWEET FACE wrote:

How long did it take for her to do the makeup?

Bout an hour maybe less.

Mainly cause the camera man kept telling her to get out of the way when she was applying it.

The first half took her about 25 minutes, then getting the sprinkles  to stick and stay the way i wanted them took another thirty or so.

Jul 21 08 04:37 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Bout an hour maybe less.

Mainly cause the camera man kept telling her to get out of the way when she was applying it.

The first half took her about 25 minutes, then getting the sprinkles  to stick and stay the way i wanted them took another thirty or so.

See, that's totally reasonable!

Jul 21 08 04:39 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

LADY SWEET FACE wrote:

See, that's totally reasonable!

You were expecting unreasonable?

Jul 21 08 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have a question... that pose in picture number three, after you get her set up to the camera, how do you keep your hands off of her.... whew, she rocks hard!

Jul 21 08 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Dave Atkinson

Astoria, New York, US

The most impressive part to me is how flawless her skin ended up looking.  Was there post processing to remove some of the slight imperfections that were visible in the video?  Or was the makeup artist that good?  Or did they all end up in the glare from the angled back lighting?

Great concept for a shoot, nice lighting, it looked like a lot of fun.. And that makeup artist seemed fantastic, too.

Jul 21 08 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Eric Haywood

Dave Atkinson wrote:
The most impressive part to me is how flawless her skin ended up looking.  Was there post processing to remove some of the slight imperfections that were visible in the video?  Or was the makeup artist that good?  Or did they all end up in the glare from the angled back lighting?

Great concept for a shoot, nice lighting, it looked like a lot of fun.. And that makeup artist seemed fantastic, too.

Actually, the same question popped into my head last night.  I know you detailed your post process in the other thread, but how much does it differ when you shoot in-studio?

Jul 21 08 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kevlar Vest Girl wrote:
I have a question... that pose in picture number three, after you get her set up to the camera, how do you keep your hands off of her.... whew, she rocks hard!

It helps when the model is such a fucking goofball that she kills any erection in the room by the sheer dork that exudes from her being.

Jul 21 08 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dave Atkinson wrote:

No MUA is so good that there is NO retouching that has to be done, but I was limited in  how much I had to do.  She applied no only face but body make up, to lessen the amount of post processing that i had to do later.  I was left with some minimal cloning, healing, dodging and burning.  Most major thing I did was remove a tattoo on the stomach i didn't like and some body sculpting.

Jul 21 08 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Eric Haywood wrote:

Actually, the same question popped into my head last night.  I know you detailed your post process in the other thread, but how much does it differ when you shoot in-studio?

Doesn't differ much.

For the close up shots i spent a much longer time cloning healing and dodging and burning that on the full body or 3/4 shots, but that's typical.

Jul 21 08 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Lee K

Palatine, Illinois, US

???

I thought it was a zoomed in 100% crop of the first image to show the detail in her eyes.  And if that were the case, you'd have the most insane camera/lens combo in history.  It was just my initial reaction then I quickly realized it's a separate close up image,  but shit did my heart skip a beat at first.

Jul 21 08 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lee K wrote:

I thought it was a zoomed in 100% crop of the first image to show the detail in her eyes.  And if that were the case, you'd have the most insane camera/lens combo in history.  It was just my initial reaction then I quickly realized it's a separate close up image,  but shit did my heart skip a beat at first.

HA!  No, I wish, but no.  Though the 100 percent crop isn't bad either tongue

Jul 21 08 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

MauricePerry

Bowie, Maryland, US

This is some of the coolest shit ever...

I remember pm'n you a while ago and asking if you'd allow me to "assist" on a shoot while in DC... you hit me with a quick nah you dont allow others on your set..  but then you did something that was real helpful at the time [the first how I do it thread].. and now you release the video of a shoot which allows me to SEE how you do it [like being there]...

Again.. this is some of the coolest shit ever...

Jul 21 08 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

RWUR Photography

ILLINOIS CITY, Illinois, US

Maaaaaaaaaaaan you are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for sharing once again.  I'm going to make a trip just out there just to meet you!

Jul 21 08 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Haywood

I don't think I saw you using a light meter in the video.  Do you use one, or just eyeball it?

Jul 21 08 09:20 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Eric Haywood wrote:
I don't think I saw you using a light meter in the video.  Do you use one, or just eyeball it?

He doesn't use one, he just eyeballs it. smile

Jul 21 08 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Shastri Babb

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

MelissaLynnette LaDiva wrote:
He doesn't use one, he just eyeballs it. smile

F*ckin' G

Jul 22 08 12:41 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Shastri Babb wrote:

F*ckin' G

Precisely.

Jul 22 08 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Eric Haywood wrote:

What Melissa said.  I never use one.

Jul 22 08 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

D Moreland Beauty

Cinco Ranch, Texas, US

great stuff...thanks for sharing....now are you going to take your workshops on the road - if so you have to make Houston a stop big_smile

Jul 22 08 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

epo

Columbus, Ohio, US

I love the colorful backdrops you use for some of these shoots... are they muslin or wallpaper?  are you making them?

Jul 22 08 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Frame O Mind

Albany, Georgia, US

Great shot, I was curious as the the ratio of your rim lights to your forward light. Im guessing 2 stops difference maybe?

Jul 22 08 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Eric Paul Owens wrote:
I love the colorful backdrops you use for some of these shoots... are they muslin or wallpaper?  are you making them?

Remnant cloth from the fabric store.

Jul 22 08 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Frame O Mind wrote:
Great shot, I was curious as the the ratio of your rim lights to your forward light. Im guessing 2 stops difference maybe?

1 and a 1/2

Jul 22 08 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Frame O Mind

Albany, Georgia, US

Sweet, I finally have space enough to play with rim lighting such as this now. I cant wait to dabble in it.

Jul 22 08 04:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Fox Faces

Cleveland, Alabama, US

Bout an hour maybe less.

I work pretty quick on makeup. Plus I've worked with the model a ton of times so I know her face.

Jul 22 08 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Mason Photography

Morristown, Vermont, US

There's only one and it was for the video.  I like my shots warm anyway so after color balancing, i felt it was doable.

If you have a decent video camera it would handle the light level from the modeling lamps and you wouldn't need to have a shop light screwing with your white balance. I shoot low level with my Panasonic 100A on 12db gain and get great results. If you're going to spend time and money making a video, do it with the same quality you seem to put into your still photography.

Jul 22 08 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bill Mason Images wrote:

If you have a decent video camera it would handle the light level from the modeling lamps and you wouldn't need to have a shop light screwing with your white balance. I shoot low level with my Panasonic 100A on 12db gain and get great results. If you're going to spend time and money making a video, do it with the same quality you seem to put into your still photography.

Awww that's cute.  But considering i made the video to HELP people that might want to learn a little something, and not to "make high quality video"  I think it served it's purpose.

But, you always gotta have one turd in the toilet.

Jul 22 08 06:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Fox Faces

Cleveland, Alabama, US

Eric Paul Owens wrote:

We always go raiding the clearance section of fabric stores. You'd be amazed at what you can find for $1-$2/yard.

Jul 22 08 06:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Fox Faces

Cleveland, Alabama, US

Awww that's cute.  But considering i made the video to HELP people that might want to learn a little something, and not to "make high quality video"  I think it served it's purpose.

He said "money"... LOL.

Jul 22 08 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

AFox Faces wrote:

He said "money"... LOL.

Like i said, you always gotta have one turd in the toilet.

Jul 22 08 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Kings Media Photos

Victorville, California, US

Keith Murray.  Says so in the credits.

My bad, didn't stick around for the credits! Kudos to you though! smile

Jul 22 08 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kings Media wrote:

My bad, didn't stick around for the credits! Kudos to you though! smile

Kudos to keith.

Jul 22 08 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

*chortle*

I have officially used it!

Jul 22 08 07:15 pm Link