This thread was locked on 2013-06-25 20:02:16
Forums > General Industry > I don't get tattoos.

Model

Janos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:
Hi, It seems that lately I've been more busy retouching models tattoos out than actual time on the shots. Most of my clients don't like the rubbed in ink on skin. I just wonder why it's so popular now. Don't models realize what they'll look like in a few years?

There are a lot.... Of people who never thought they would become a model... and did, and now they have ink... Then, there are a few models who only got booked, because they had a certain type of tattoo... but in the end, it is better to not have any... It really limits a person.

Mar 10 09 07:18 am Link

Photographer

BuzzSnaps Photography

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:
I know it's about choice. My client wanted a specific model for a clothing shot. She had tats. Nothing I could do but post it out. Model's port didn't say she had tattoos and she never mentioned them to my AE. Surprise when the clothes came off!

did you hire your model from  A REPUTABLE AGENCY that would normally disclose this kind of information.... this seems like a learning experience that if you didn't do a direct hire form an agency, you should have brought the model in to see them beforehand

Mar 10 09 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Laura Dark Photography

Columbus, Ohio, US

After reading this thread here are my questions OP:

1. Why are YOU casting models at all?  Where is the art director in all of this madness?

2. If you are shooting for a decent paying job why aren't you casting from a agency?

3. How in God's name don't you see an entire SLEEVE tattoo?  Come on.

Personal opinion, you're a troll looking for attention.  You don't like tats, don't get one.  You don't like models with them, don't shoot them.

/End of thread.

Mar 10 09 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Odin Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:
Perhaps. Early on in my career I studied medicine. Do you know what tattoos do to the body (beside permanently scarring them)? They end up in the kidneys where the dye can wreak havoc besides the risk of Hep C.

And do models realize what these drawings will look like in years to come when their skin sags and wrinkles? It's a shame, really.

Just out of curiosity, do you smoke, eat meat or high fructose corn syrup? I don't smoke, but I do the last two. Not too good for the body at all. Especially all that mercury in the corn syrup. I know what the risks are but I do it anyway. I live crazy like that.

I don't think any model is unaware that tattoos have a medical offset. The point is they had an option and made a choice. Very similar to your choosing to shoot models with tattoos for projects in which your clients don't want them wink

Obviously it isn't affecting their professional work that much if you are still willing to hire them knowing full well before hand that you are going to spend all that time in post.   

The other side is the medical concern you addressed. I can think of a cornucopia of "The usual suspects" regarding stereotypical model health concerns. Why is it that tattoos have peaked your interest more than the others?

Mar 10 09 07:43 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well it's really simple if you just think about it.  DO NOT HIRE MODELS WITH TATTOOS.  So what's so hard with that? bs

Mar 10 09 07:44 am Link

Model

overandout

Aberdeen, Washington, US

I like shooting people and their tattoos.  It is part of who they are, and I like to capture who they are.

As for the model who was not honest about having them, bad on her.  You still shot her for the client though.  Update your contract and add a clause stating if there is additional post work for tattoo removal/correction, your fee doubles.

Mar 10 09 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Images in Light

Dallas, Texas, US

Tatts are the best!  I vote for more.

https://modelmayhm-1.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090304/23/49af847095e0e_m.jpg

Mar 10 09 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

in a few years, with proper care, the tattoos will look the same

Mar 10 09 07:57 am Link

Model

Ash3

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Robert Stedman  wrote:
Perhaps. Early on in my career I studied medicine. Do you know what tattoos do to the body (beside permanently scarring them)? They end up in the kidneys where the dye can wreak havoc besides the risk of Hep C.

And do models realize what these drawings will look like in years to come when their skin sags and wrinkles? It's a shame, really.

Yes, we do.

Thanks.

If you don't like tattoo's then don't shoot them.
Simple as that.

Mar 10 09 09:15 am Link

Model

Raye Teyssier

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:

wait, in years to come when skin sags and wrinkles we're expected to look good?  When I look at someone's grandfather it's not a wrinkled tattoo that turns me off, if you get my drift.

Mar 10 09 09:19 am Link

Model

Marisa Nicole

Torrance, California, US

Make tattooed models cover their tattoos with makeup that way you don't have to "waste" your time retouching them.

Mar 10 09 09:23 am Link

Photographer

BritWoollardPhotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:

Thanks Keith. I was just venting my frustration after spending hours retouching a model. True, it's none of my business. It just doesn't seem logical to me.

Then don't shoot models with tattoos if you don't want to spend the time retouching.

Mar 10 09 09:26 am Link

Model

Ash3

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Big R Art wrote:
If you are so worried about touching up the photos and your clients not wanting women with tatttoos then QUIT WORKING with women who have tattoos!! It is that simple. No one is pushing them to get them , they are the models form of artistic expression!! I wish photographers like you would quit posting these bullshit threads and quit acting like a bunch of bitches, I personally have heard less whining at a daycare!!

Epic, epic, win. big_smile

Mar 10 09 09:30 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:
Hi, It seems that lately I've been more busy retouching models tattoos out than actual time on the shots. Most of my clients don't like the rubbed in ink on skin. I just wonder why it's so popular now. Don't models realize what they'll look like in a few years?

Suggestion: don’t shoot models with tattoos - problem solved wink

If you don’t like tats that’s your privilege.

Mar 10 09 09:30 am Link

Model

Miss Kali Marie

Port Richey, Florida, US

I love my tattoos. One person said that maybe they didn't anticipate being a model and already had tattoos. That's my story. Actually, I think it may have been my tattoos that landed me my first shoot. My wings are now on a mural and make me proud to be one of the few who wears my tattoos well. :]

Mar 10 09 09:31 am Link

Photographer

BritWoollardPhotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

K-li Marie wrote:
I love my tattoos. One person said that maybe they didn't anticipate being a model and already had tattoos. That's my story. Actually, I think it may have been my tattoos that landed me my first shoot. My wings are now on a mural and make me proud to be one of the few who wears my tattoos well. :]

Wow, that's great! I use mine as an art form as well. It makes me, me.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/porcelainrhapsody/BritFireRed02.jpg

Mar 10 09 09:34 am Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:

You don't have to "get" tattoos.

Perhaps you should shoot people who don't have tattoos.

I don't care what I'll look like when I'm 50 and I have a "tramp stamp" on my back. smile

Mar 10 09 09:34 am Link

Model

Miss Kali Marie

Port Richey, Florida, US

BritWoollardPhotography wrote:
Wow, that's great! I use mine as an art form as well. It makes me, me.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/porcelainrhapsody/BritFireRed02.jpg

beautiful! :]

Mar 10 09 09:35 am Link

Photographer

BritWoollardPhotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

K-li Marie wrote:

beautiful! :]

Thank you smile I have this one as well. I've been a cellist for a little over 13 years. I drew this in highschool and made it reality in November 2007.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/porcelainrhapsody/CelloTattoo1.jpg

Mar 10 09 09:38 am Link

Model

Livane

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

K-li Marie wrote:

yup, i got mine over a year before my first shoot, and it was the tatt that got me the shoot! ^_^ I know it will limit me but I prefer the styles of modelling that allow tatts anyways so I'm happy with said limitations big_smile

Del xox

Mar 10 09 09:47 am Link

Model

Nelson D Martinez

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have tats and might get another one. It's a work of art just like a painting is to a painter. If your a photographer who doesn't like it, then just don't shoot anyone that has any, and if they do, and you find out at the last minute, then keep searching for other models. It's like you saying your not a certain religion, and then you blame other people for being a part of that religion. I've met plenty of photographers who would love to have models with tats be a part of their photo shoot. And obviously your not the one whos going to age with tats on you, so don't worry about what people might look like when they get older, cause obviously nothing stopped them from getting it in the first place. Either deal with it, or leave it alone.

Mar 10 09 09:47 am Link

Photographer

KGToops Photography

Treasure Island, Florida, US

Frankly i think people that cant appreciate a nice tattoo cant appreciate art and there for should not be in the industry

Mar 10 09 09:52 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:

you sound like a old fart. lighten up on the people

Mar 10 09 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Merlyn Magic Photo

Long Beach, California, US

I don't get tattoos either, but I love them on the models I shoot wink

Mar 10 09 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Rob Domaschuk

Naperville, Illinois, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:

So, in your medical studies, it seems that this is a problem for models only? As a photographer with ink, I need not be concerned?

It's clear you don't like them but your medical concerns don't seem to have much merit here since your rants is against models with ink.

Mar 10 09 09:56 am Link

Model

Miss Kali Marie

Port Richey, Florida, US

Delirium Razorblade wrote:
yup, i got mine over a year before my first shoot, and it was the tatt that got me the shoot! ^_^ I know it will limit me but I prefer the styles of modelling that allow tatts anyways so I'm happy with said limitations big_smile

Del xox

ditto! I often love shoots that concentrate on my tattoos more than my face, even. Gives it more of an artistic expression :]

Mar 10 09 10:13 am Link

Model

Miss Kali Marie

Port Richey, Florida, US

BritWoollardPhotography wrote:
Thank you smile I have this one as well. I've been a cellist for a little over 13 years. I drew this in highschool and made it reality in November 2007.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/porcelainrhapsody/CelloTattoo1.jpg

wow, that's so intricate, I love it! I have a treble clef on my right hand. My dad, my brother and I are all musicians :]

Mar 10 09 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:

3 pages for a no brainer. Don't want tattoos? Hire models without them. Doh...

Mar 10 09 10:16 am Link

Model

Sea J Raw

Los Angeles, California, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:

yeah tattoos are so gross.....oh wait. damn it i have tattoos.... my bad.
you sound like a big whiner. cast non tattooed models then.

Mar 10 09 10:19 am Link

Photographer

'Monk

Denver, Colorado, US

I like them! big_smile 'Nuff said.

Mar 10 09 10:22 am Link

Model

Red Rhapsody

Toms River, New Jersey, US

I have tattoos. If someone I want to work with doesn't like them then I'll find someone who does or I'll cover them with clothing, makeup, etc.

To put it REALLY simple ...

If tattoos aren't your cup of tea, don't cast models with tattoos or cover them up.

Problem solved.

Mar 10 09 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Fotografix West

Tampa, Florida, US

I have two children, so spending money on unnecessary things like tattoos is out of the question. If I was in prison for murder I would probably get one.

Mar 10 09 10:26 am Link

Model

Distorted PerfeKtion

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I refuse to do tattoos... I like classy...not trashy...

Mar 10 09 10:34 am Link

Model

Red Rhapsody

Toms River, New Jersey, US

Distorted PerfeKtion wrote:

This is going to be interesting ...
Perhaps I should get some popcorn ...?

Mar 10 09 10:39 am Link

Model

ACCOUNT GOT HACKED

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:

obviously the people that get tattoos have taken all this into consideration and did it anyway. it's:
A.) none of your business what other people do
and
B.) coming off as pretentious that you think you can tell other people what they should be doing

of course we realize what it will look like in 40-so years, but you know what? wrinkles in general aren't that pretty and i doubt any of us will want to be sporting a bikini at that point in our lives.
besides the fact that MOST people that get tattoos have thought it through for a VERY long time and their tattoos have EXTREME sentimental value.

now please. take your bigoted, narrow-minded views elsewhere.
~christine~

Mar 10 09 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Rob Domaschuk

Naperville, Illinois, US

+1

After all, the defining line between class and trash is the existence of tattoos.

:eyeroll:

Mar 10 09 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

Ok....dad & uncle had small tattoos they got while in the S. Pacific 1943-45.
Pops was Navy, uncle was a Marine in Okinawa.
Came home alive, rarely missed a day of work for 40 years, raised kids and never got anything more than a traffic tx.

Yes....I can clearly see how they were trashy. neutral

Mar 10 09 10:48 am Link

Model

Miss Kali Marie

Port Richey, Florida, US

oh yes, artistic expression of our own choice is SO trashy

::rolls eyes::

you choose photograph

we choose to WEAR the photograph

I have my tattoos as reminders of my life for me...
if my house burns down (and it has).. if I lose someone close to me (and I have)
I can take my tattoos with me, always

Mar 10 09 11:03 am Link

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
Tattoos end up in the kidneys where they create a risk of hep c...
1: Tattoos do not migrate.  They stay where they are, unless your skin moves, in which case, the tattoo still doesn't move, the skin it's on does.
2: The dyes in tattoos are non-toxic. It's about as dangerous to have tattoo ink in your skin, as it is to get a washable non-toxic crayola marker, mural, down your back.  It just lasts longer.
3: Hepatitis is an disease that affects the liver.  It has nothing to do with your kidneys.

Mar 10 09 11:12 am Link

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Jeska L Vardinski wrote:

In a few years?
I hope you mean about 20++ years!!

In 30 years i will be 53 and no doubt my skin will start to sag..
my tits will be a little floppy
my @$$ will almost resemble a pancake...
so will the other 53 years olds!!
The only difference is i will be more interesting..
I will have more colorful skin.I still think that i will be more interesting to the eye than non tattooed people!

What i do not get is why people think its a fad.
I don't get the threads that say tattooing yourself is a trend.
I understand people are impressionable but from my understanding women/men that get tattooed to "look cool" get a few subtle tattoos.
The women and men that get more elaborate and massive tattoos are about the art.

Please you 468743653465 person that posts this thread again.. understand that we are completely aware of what we are doing to our bodies.
We're proud of our art and yes! we do understand that we lose work from our body art
And yes we do understand that we gain work.
This is the way we want to look.
Get off your high horse and shoot someone else if you have a problem with tattoos.
We do not need you to accept us!!

xoxo, Jeska

Mar 10 09 11:16 am Link