This thread was locked on 2013-06-25 20:02:16
Forums > General Industry > I don't get tattoos.

Model

MissinKitti

Beltsville, Maryland, US

Mountain Image wrote:
Years from now I picture 40+ models with large globs of pigment on their skin that you can't even make out.

It isn't about the image, it's about the meaning. You couldn't make out the tattoos he got, but he knew what they meant to him. All of my tattoos have religious meaning, so it doesn't matter what they look like I know what they mean to me.

Heather LeStabbityDeath wrote:
Tattooing has come a long way since then.

With proper care of your tattoo (and by that, I mean..of your skin), barring drastic weight changes, a tattoo will still look good 20 or 30 years from now.  A touch up or two, and in 40 or 50 years, it will still look good, until your skin doesn't.

I agree, and what will happen, will happen. That is life

Mar 10 09 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Loren Jones

Prior Lake, Minnesota, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:
Keith says it's none of my business. Wrong. It is my business. If I didn't have to spend hours retouching skin I do more important things that earn money.

I'm not a huge fan of tatoos.  So if you don't want them, spec tatoo-free in your casting calls.

Mar 10 09 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Holopaw Pictures

Tampa, Florida, US

K-li Marie wrote:

oh yes, artistic expression of our own choice is SO trashy

::rolls eyes::

you choose photograph

we choose to WEAR the photograph

I have my tattoos as reminders of my life for me...
if my house burns down (and it has).. if I lose someone close to me (and I have)
I can take my tattoos with me, always

Or you can use your memory like us non-inked people.

Mar 10 09 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Holopaw Pictures

Tampa, Florida, US

Engel Schrei wrote:

Exactly.

I've put my tattoo plans on hold for now, but I eventually plan to have at least a leg that's fully colorful by the time I croak, and I'll proudly pull the wrinkled, aged, pruney skin aside to show each and ever single one off to my great grandchildren, and explain to them over and over again why and what each and every single image is.

If you remember.

Mar 10 09 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

karenjerzykphotography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

What do you mean, "What are they going to look like in a few years".

Shut up and move on. And while you're at it, take the time to search for threads that have been beaten like a dead horse.

Ignorance.

Mar 10 09 04:03 pm Link

Model

Mischa Marie

Sacramento, California, US

Im really over seeing this thread allll the time. Get over it and talk about something else.

Mar 10 09 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Darrin Acreman

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Heather LeStabbityDeath wrote:

Tattooing has come a long way since then.

With proper care of your tattoo (and by that, I mean..of your skin), barring drastic weight changes, a tattoo will still look good 20 or 30 years from now.  A touch up or two, and in 40 or 50 years, it will still look good, until your skin doesn't.

Should I remove my skin now for fear of it getting wrinkled and liver spotted when I'm old?

I agree with Heather, some of my ink is 20 years old and looks as good now as it did way back then

Mar 10 09 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Stedman

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Thanks for all who took part in this post. I have learned a lot.

One thing for sure, it's amazing how hostile and defensive people become when this subject is broached. I wasn't out to provoke, nor did I condemned any one at any time.

Still, I managed to touch a raw nerve in many and their resulting comments were less than helpful, many attacked me, and some were downright rude. Made me feel like a Bush supporter in a Barack Obama world!

I see now that it's a subject with a lot of passion. I really had no idea. We don't get many tattoos in the Singapore modeling scene. And while many asked me to look up this thread, it was good to have it hashed out again in real time. Again, thanks for all your comments and opinions.

Mar 10 09 09:32 pm Link

Model

Rebecca Emma

New York, New York, US

Keith Allen Phillips wrote:
What's a shame is you making it your business when it clearly isn't.

Amen.

Mar 10 09 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:
I managed

You managed? Perhaps. But this is the way most threads go. Hardly has to do with tattoos. But if you jump in a forum and give a stong negative opinion against a good portion of the industy, you can expect a lot of backlash.

Mar 10 09 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Stedman

karenjerzykphotography wrote:
What do you mean, "What are they going to look like in a few years".

Shut up and move on. And while you're at it, take the time to search for threads that have been beaten like a dead horse.

Ignorance.

Wow, aren't you a nice person. "Shut up and move on," great idea.

Mar 10 09 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Stedman

Rebecca24 wrote:

Amen.

Sorry Rebecca, point was that it affected my business. I really don't care if people get tats or don't.

Mar 10 09 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Stedman

Rebecca24 wrote:

Amen.

Sorry Rebecca, point was that it affected my business. I really don't care if people get tats or don't.

Mar 10 09 09:55 pm Link

Model

Bella Valentine

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

I HATE tattoos!

Mar 10 09 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

SICK GIRL PHOTOGRAPHY

Venice, Florida, US

The Bella Valentine wrote:
I HATE tattoos!

I dont think they like you very much either.

Mar 11 09 03:03 am Link

Model

Bella Valentine

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

SICK GIRL PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

I dont think they like you very much either.

I agree, that's must be why I hate them... lol

Mar 11 09 04:09 am Link

Photographer

Khaos Productions

North Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Robert Stedman  wrote:
And do models realize what these drawings will look like in years to come when their skin sags and wrinkles? It's a shame, really.

if the model keep an active lifestyle as they act the skin doesn't sag my grandpa looks 20 years younger then the wife he ahs 5 years on cause he still does landscaping in his late 70s where his wife sits around all day watching tv "cause she's too old to be that active"

Mar 11 09 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Grady Richardson

Houston, Texas, US

From the CNN article "Tattoo Regret":

And make sure that you truly want this design on your body for the rest of your life. Ask yourself: Do you really want a permanent reminder of what may be a temporary feeling?

Don't make the mistake that one of my patients did. She had a tattoo placed on her lower abdomen when she was single and in her 20s. Thirty years later, she was a grandmother who desperately wanted it removed.

So I asked her, "Just how bad is it?"

Very bad.

She pulled down the waist of her pants to reveal the following words, in large lettering: "Dinner is served."

Full article: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/08/health/yo … torysearch

Apr 09 13 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Grady Richardson wrote:
From the ...

I hate it when a 4+ year old thread is resurrected.  Let sleeping threads lie.

Apr 09 13 11:52 am Link

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

I hate it when a 4+ year old thread is resurrected.  Let's sleeping threads lie.

This is the second really old one about tattoos to come back. WTF?

Apr 09 13 01:21 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

oh...

another dinosaur thread

Apr 09 13 03:29 pm Link

Model

Siddy Pain

Stratford, Taranaki, New Zealand

Why hire a model if you dislike tattoos and the model has a gigantatron one somewhere that will be annoying to edit later? Just say no tattoo models on your CC and be done with it tongue

Apr 09 13 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Murphy Photo

Pawleys Island, South Carolina, US

Honestly, I despise tattoos, especially on women. It is my opinion, you don't have to agree with me and I really don't care if you do or not, but I think tattoos on women make them look trashy. There, I said it.

I have turned down plenty of jobs for models who want their ports done and who have tattoos I cannot make vanish with one swipe of the patch tool. The clients I shoot for don't want them either. And retouching time is money so I don't bother with them.

Jun 25 13 07:56 pm Link