Forums > Photography Talk > Never Again... group shoots... BLAH!!!

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Bill Tracy Photography wrote:
These things are usually just a scam to make money off of GWC's who just want to get in the same room with some half naked models who would normally turn them down for shoots.

You are attending the wrong shoots then. Check out CAC, DEAC, and the other ones we have here in the Midwest.

Jun 24 09 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

SouthFLpix wrote:
The top photographers and models typically will not be the ones that attend or benefit from group shoots, but of course not everyone is at the top of their game. Most are not.

I admit that from time to time I've thought that it might be fun to attend a group shoot with a P&S camera. That way it would really be just a way to say hello, take some reference images of models (like polariods really), and exchange contact information so that perhaps later we can schedule a more serious 1on1 session. In a way it would be more of a networking thing then a group shoot, but that's just the way I would approach it personally.

Beats me. I have shot Missy Vinyl, London Andrews, PXE, Miss Alison and Selina Kyle among many others. I am VERY happy with the models I have worked with and plan to keep attending our group events here in the Midwest.

Jun 24 09 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Josh Gallo

Los Angeles, California, US

They have flaked everytime

Jun 24 09 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Laura Dark Photography wrote:
It's really too bad to see that so many of you are against group shoots.  sad 

I run one of (if not THE) largest in Ohio.  I have a 70,000 sq ft warehouse/haunted house as a backdrop.  I have security, someone to run the elevator, a full time concession stand, a smoking area, a photographers area for equipment and chatting, a model area with makeup tables, mirrors and changing area, and we can shoot from 10am till 8pm at night.

Most of the people who come once, return.  I have models from NY, FL, KY, WV, VA, PA, IN, IL, GA, and even had a girl in town a year ago from CA that attended.  Most of the photographers, models, MUAs, and wardrobe stylists, leave with portfolio worthy images.  The talent gets better and better every year.   I see no end in sight for my events on the size they can grow and the talent that can emerge from them.

P.S.  I wouldn't have met Kat Livingston if I wouldn't have held these events and that would make me a sad Laura Dark.  sad

I'm not down on all "group shoots" or the concept and from talking to you over the past 6 months or so, I have no doubt you are who and what you are and if I were closer in proximity, I'd love to attend one of your events.

I've heard less then favorable things about a few of the "group shoots" where I live so I see no reason to pay someone else to shoot with models I might be able to shoot with for free.

To quote Chris Macan

Chris Macan wrote:
Group shoots are only as good as the organizer.

I'm really looking forward to your visit....

Jun 24 09 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

bleh

Jun 24 09 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

TheNormGallerys

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

7 Dwarfs / Vultures, now those were group shoots!!!

Jun 24 09 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Pixel Peeper

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

For an example of BAD group shoot, see the following:

Warning, website in Chinese

I have seen even worse, where a nude model was present.  But I couldn't find it, probably got banned by the chinese government.

Jun 25 09 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Pixel Peeper wrote:

I have seen even worse, where a nude model was present.  But I couldn't find it, probably got banned by the chinese government.

yikes

Jun 25 09 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Pixel Peeper wrote:

https://img3.fengniao.com/forum/attachpics/189/132/7546281.jpg

LMAO!... looks like a past API shoot... except the models wearin clothes... lol

Jun 25 09 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

glamour pics

Los Angeles, California, US

Bill Tracy Photography wrote:
These things are usually just a scam to make money off of GWC's who just want to get in the same room with some half naked models who would normally turn them down for shoots.

I award a YELLOW CARD for the above, which combines ignorance, cluelessness, vague insults, specific insults, generalization, and poor grammar.

Jun 25 09 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Pixel Peeper

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Glad you guys can see the images.  Direct linking doesn't work, by the way.  Oh, if the model doesn't wear clothes, there will be A LOT more GWCs with dSLRs.  Having said that, I feel group shoots can serve a purpose.  With a photographer to model ratio of 3:1 or better, it can be great if everyone plays nice and learn to share and assist.  It's when the ratio goes to 10:1 that it's doomed to be a disaster.

Jun 25 09 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Pixel Peeper wrote:

Looks like a lot of Houston's scenery, and we have almost as many good Asian models.

Jun 25 09 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

When I decided to do nudes, way back then, I opted to start by attending group shoots. As bad as they can be, they were a comfortable way to 'train' myself to stop looking at just boobs and pussy (I still do on a 'lite' note ) and  concentrate more on the photography aspect, which was very difficult for me in my early days...

Jun 25 09 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Barrett

Upland, California, US

All these complaints about GWCs!  Remember, everyone started somewhere...Models who are heavy in demand were probably very awkward thier first few shoots. Same with photographers, these shoots are a great way for everyone to network and learn.

As a matter of fact, I attended my first Select Models group shoot over five years ago...there are relationships that I built that first day that I treasure now.

Group shoots are an awesome day with the right location and models...like mine!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 964&page=1

Mike

(shameful plug!)

Jun 25 09 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Reppond

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Actually, I was the one who attempted to put the group shoot together in which Ben is speaking of.  Unfortunately as it got closer we were unable to get locations nailed down.  When I first set it up, it was to be in the Greenville / Spartanburg Area where I am very familiar with, but several of the people said it would be better to have it in the Columbia Area as they stated there were more locations to set up a shoot of this size.  As I am somewhat unfamiliar with the Columbia Area, I agreed to do so with the understanding that I would be helped with getting locations nailed down, but honestly it was attempted at, but nothing really nailed down.  With people coming from out of town and out of state who did not know the area, I chose to cancel the shoot at this time rather than have a weekend of chaos.  I was unable to put the shoot together properly, so cancelled.  Cancelling was not so much the problem as was the timing of the cancellation.  I think that is where the problem came in.  Honestly, I thought things would come together before the shoot, but as the shoot got closer it did not so like I said, I cancelled the shoot rather than have a weekend of chaos with people being lost and things disorganized.  Not being a big fan of group shoots, I have however helped put together successful shoots in the past, but have learned a big lesson on setting this shoot up.  In the future, if I do choose to put together any group shoots, things will be set up first before anyone is contacted in order to skip the confusion which comes with setting up shoots especially shoots of this size.  It was the first and most likely the last open group shoot that I will try and put together.  Honestly, the drama started right from the beginning and pretty much kept on for a while.  If I had been smart, I would have cancelled the shoot months ago as in alot of ways, the shoot pretty much died down on the most part two or three months back.  A good lesson though, never try to put a shoot 6 months in advance when you are two states away.  I'll eat the mistakes on this one as I did make a good many mistakes, but many valuable lessons have been learned from the experience so it wasn't a total loss.  Some of the people did choose to come on ahead and shoot this weekend as they had been planning it for some time.  I do honestly hope their shoots go well and they are able to walk away with some great images and experiences from the weekend which they will be able to look back on in a positive manner.  As for me, I'll be sitting this one out and focusing on things in front of me to do like getting back on my feet financially.  A group shoot honestly could not have come at a worse time as I just moved back to the area recently and started a new job.  It will most likely be months down the road before I do any real serious steady shooting. 

Scott

Jun 26 09 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

gzone

Lancaster, California, US

Michael Barrett wrote:
All these complaints about GWCs!  Remember, everyone started somewhere...Models who are heavy in demand were probably very awkward thier first few shoots. Same with photographers, these shoots are a great way for everyone to network and learn.

As a matter of fact, I attended my first Select Models group shoot over five years ago...there are relationships that I built that first day that I treasure now.

Group shoots are an awesome day with the right location and models...like mine!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 964&page=1

Mike

Same here Mike...the old "Photo Days" shoot...I miss them.

Greg

(shameful plug!)

Jun 26 09 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

PsychoCybernetics

Belchertown, Massachusetts, US

bencook2 wrote:
I have read the horror stories of shoots being a mixture of a photographic gang-bang and an exercise in herding cats.  But, like everything else in my life I had to experience it first.  Oh, wait.  The shoot was canceled.

For two weeks I have kept a neat schedule of models attend the shoot that will be working with me.  I planned to keep to myself, not attending the "gang-bang" portions where photographers crowd around models.  Then today the shoot's organizer calls it off for some cryptic reason.

Of course I contacted my models I will be working with and assured them I was not canceling and would love to still work with all of them.

It will be interesting to see how many make the trip.

Luckily!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The two main models I want to work with have already assured me that they will be attending despite the summary cancellation.

___

Now, having said all of this, has any photographer EVER had a good experience at one?  I like the theory of multiple models in one place and time but in practice the concept might be impossible.

When i was first starting out and getting the hang of things, learning the ins and outs, group shoots worked out great. It gave me the chance to work with models i wouldn't have been able to work with otherwise! However, now that i'm more experienced, i'd rather have a model to myself and plenty of time, as opposed to worrying about sharing her. Group shoots are good for networking, and setting up solo shoots later

Jun 26 09 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Lancaster, California, US

group shoots are a lot lot like group sex.

sometimes they are a heck of a lot of fun.

and sometimes you find your balls are a bit too close to another guys.

the organizer really is the key.

If you have a good model to photographer ratio, a list preplanned of all the different shooting locations, and a really firm schedule of shoot rotations and do's and don'ts....it should go fine.

Jun 27 09 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Ed Stringbourne

Kansas City, Missouri, US

nwprophoto wrote:
Good for networking, usually lousy for photography.

+1

Jun 27 09 05:12 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

nwprophoto wrote:
Good for networking, usually lousy for photography.

At the shootout that I went to I networked and also took many great photos!      smile
Some people have been to bad shootouts!  Others have attended great shootouts!

Jun 27 09 06:10 am Link

Photographer

Avalon Sky Photography

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Not my cup of tea...I would rather work with my own team on a specific concept.

Jun 27 09 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Avalon Sky Photography

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

glenn my name today wrote:
group shoots are a lot lot like group sex.

sometimes they are a heck of a lot of fun.

and sometimes you find your balls are a bit too close to another guys.

the organizer really is the key.

If you have a good model to photographer ratio, a list preplanned of all the different shooting locations, and a really firm schedule of shoot rotations and do's and don'ts....it should go fine.

LMAO!!! Now that was funny! ;D

Jun 27 09 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Avalon Sky Photography wrote:
Not my cup of tea...I would rather work with my own team on a specific concept.

It's quite possible to invite your (specific concept) team to an event similar to what I host... at a terrific location that doesn't require a permit... and get FABULOUS images the whole day long.  For proof if this... click on the link below... wink

https://www.modelmayhem.com/list.php?list_id=1338

Jun 27 09 09:44 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

I've participated in several and have enjoyed all of my shootouts I have been to. smile

Jun 27 09 09:49 am Link