Forums > Model Colloquy > Whats wrong with a thong???

Model

Klarrissa

Los Angeles, California, US

1. Would you wear a thong? Why or why not?

In a photo shoot? No rather have a nude butt or sexy bottoms on that flatter my butt, not thongs or g-strings though...

2. Is there a difference between a 2 piece swimsuit and a lingerie set?

Difference is you can wear a bikini in public, lingerie you can't, you could be at a swimming pool with children and old people around and they aren't gonna look at you strange for walking around in a bikini...Unless it's a scantily clad one like in the OP's avatar...

Jul 16 10 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Moore Photo Graphix

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Sophistocles wrote:
I don't understand.

If you're doing a shoot that calls for a particular wardrobe and a model won't shoot in it, you move on to the next model.

Why the controversy?

Exactly! If I'm doing a lingerie shoot, the models must have be comfortable posing in lingerie, and they have done it in the past. Here are few examples of models that did pose lingerie without showing their backsides

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/7734473

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/14629561 (18+)

Jul 16 10 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

Moore Photo Graphix wrote:
Exactly! If I'm doing a lingerie shoot, the models must have be comfortable posing in lingerie, and they have done it in the past. Here are few examples of models that did pose lingerie without showing their backsides

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/7734473

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/14629561 (18+)

Anna Evans and Keira Grant.  Nice, but it really doesn't say much that they're willing to pose in a thong.  Both are "star" traveling nude models.

Jul 16 10 05:26 pm Link

Model

AnaMaria04

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I feel like thongs look tacky - if you aren't going to model nude, than what's the point of having that string coming out of your tush and around your back? 

Too me, there is a difference between lingerie and swimwear.  Yes, they show the same amount of skin, but why don't you see girls walking around the beach in a bra and underwear?  Lingerie is something we socially associate with wearing in a bedroom for just one other person, swimwear is something we think of walking around in public in.  It's not just the skin thing for me, it's the expectations and mental images that come with wearing it!

Jul 16 10 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

shawn is boring

Long Beach, California, US

K I C K H A M wrote:

I won't pose nude.

And if I decided to pose nude, it sure as heck wouldn't be for playboy.

Funny, because when I woke up this morning, I found naked pictures of you on my camera...
https://cdns-photo.branchout.com/G/0/000/413/413860W768NDtCtLH2fP.jpg

Dec 04 12 11:00 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

shawn is boring wrote:

Funny, because when I woke up this morning, I found naked pictures of you on my camera...

Hey, thanks for dredging up a 2 1/2 year old post and posting a reply that has absolutely-fucking-nothing to do with the original post.

Sign me "doubly confused and shaking my head REALLY hard..."

Dec 04 12 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

https://studio36.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Down_with_thongs.jpg

Studio36

Dec 04 12 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

salvatori. wrote:
Hey, thanks for dredging up a 2 1/2 year old post and posting a reply that has absolutely-fucking-nothing to do with the original post.

Sign me "doubly confused and shaking my head REALLY hard..."

+1

Seems like an awful lot of work just to say "I shot with...take a look."

Dec 04 12 03:45 pm Link

Model

E e v a

Nashville, Tennessee, US

well fuck old post anyway

Dec 04 12 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Chesterfield Hector

London, England, United Kingdom

Jonathan Fredrick wrote:
Eh, a swimsuit is a swimsuit, and lingerie is lingerie.  Even though they're nearly the same thing, they still have the context of one being an outfit that you can wear out to the beach, while the other has the "don't look! I'm in my undies!" feel to it.

As far as the thongs part, some are comfortable in them, some aren't.  You ever wear one of those "cock socks" underwear?  Pretty much the same thing as regular underwear, but the idea of wearing it is still ridiculous.

they look vile

Dec 04 12 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

studio36uk wrote:
https://studio36.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Down_with_thongs.jpg

Studio36

I photographed a model in a nice thong 2 weeks ago.   smile

Dec 04 12 04:05 pm Link

Model

Jessie Shannon

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I love thongs..and always wear them whether I am shooting or not. To me they are comfortable, and if more beaches allowed thong bikinis I would always wear them to the beach.  I am comfortable with every inch of my body though, others may not be as comfortable feeling so naked as they prob see it.  Also, obviously butt cheek is still considered taboo, as most beaches don't allow them.  They take some getting used to as well when you first start wearing them.

Dec 04 12 04:19 pm Link

Model

Calypso Moon

Banning, California, US

I shoot nudes, so the whole thong vs regular underwear debate is sort of moot for me, but I can see why people would see lingerie as being more sexy/sexual than swimwear (though that also has something to do with wear and how you are posing, and so on). 

A thong is also very revealing compared to say a hipster style bottom.

The point is this: if the model is uncomfortable with it, you are in no position to argue.  Deal with it or find a new model.

Dec 04 12 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

It's kind of a hijack since you were looking for model responses and although I have been known to model from time to time I've never worn a thong. They weren't around in my day.  And as a 75-year old male, it's unlikely that anyone will ever ask me to. sad

As a photographer, I don't like them from the back because the little triangle at the back looks ridiculous to my eye; much better an honest G-string or nothing.  From the front, not so much, although if the sense of the shot calls for nudity, better to shoot nude, IMHO, or turn down the shot.  Few can afford to be that much of a purist, though.

Dec 04 12 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Jessie Shannon wrote:
I love thongs..and always wear them whether I am shooting or not. To me they are comfortable, and if more beaches allowed thong bikinis I would always wear them to the beach.  I am comfortable with every inch of my body though, others may not be as comfortable feeling so naked as they prob see it.  Also, obviously butt cheek is still considered taboo, as most beaches don't allow them.  They take some getting used to as well when you first start wearing them.

smile

Dec 04 12 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Broughton

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

what's wrong with strap-ons and pasties? they cover just as much as a swimsuit. tongue

Dec 04 12 05:40 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

my friend and i have started using the word thong as a slang term.

thong: something that is uncomfortable at first, but you get used to it.

um.. i would not wear a thong bathing suit because i do not have one.  i don't wear thongs.  but if someone provides a thong for me to wear at a shoot, i will wear it.  i think maybe my being a nude model may be a difference between my boundaries and those of a swimsuit model.  wearing a thong is showing your bare buttcheeks.

Dec 04 12 08:00 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

James_Cessna wrote:
Some of the models I've talked to in the past stated that thongs were too trashy and lingerie was too intimate. They only want the husband or boyfriend to see them in that manor. But all that goes out the window if Victoria's Secrets calls about a catalog spread.

Oh, you shoot with many VS models?

Dec 05 12 03:06 am Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

I would rather be butt-ass naked than wear a thong. What's the point of it, even? To hide one's pubic hair?

Dec 05 12 03:07 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

K I C K H A M wrote:
Why is it acceptable for a girl to walk around outside in a swimsuit but not lingerie? There is clearly a difference-- and that difference is social connotation.

I won't shoot in these-- but I am also not a glamour model.

What amuses me is that you could get harassed for wearing lingerie in public while you have a perfectly acceptable bikini hidden underneath it at the time.  As you said, it's a social connotation thing.

As far as the OP, as others have said, it's simply the model's choice.   I had a model tell me she'd wear a dress, as long as it didn't know knees.  Others would do nude, but not swimsuit.

Just find a model who fits your goals, it's not that tough.

Dec 05 12 03:35 am Link

Model

SSModel

I have no problem modeling thongs or lingerie no matter how small, sheer or revealing.

I have been wearing thong bikinis in public at my apartment and on the beach since I was 16. Also skimpy thong bikinis and Brazilian bikinis are all the rage now and  more and more woman are wearing them in public. So the "models" that won't wear these types of clothing to a shoot are not really "Professional" models and don't model for a living. They are also behind the times.

Sorry ladies who don't wear thongs but you are behind the times and you are limiting your modeling careers..

Dec 05 12 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

James_Cessna wrote:
I have talked to serveral models before shoots to dicuss their outfits for the shoot. Some of them will not wear a swimsuit thong or lingerie thong. Some will. I feel that wearing a thong bottom is almost standard now for glamour modeling. I've also talked with some who will wear a two piece swimsuit but will not wear lingerie. What's the difference? They show the same amount. So my question to you is

1. Would you wear a thong? Why or why not? and

All answers respected (because everyone is different) and appreciated.

Think this through,,  and see what a swim suit implys,    Now what does lingerie imply...      I don't have a bit of trouble understanding.    And then I am not trying to sell them something..

Dec 05 12 06:22 am Link

Model

MichelleGenevieve

Austin, Texas, US

I suppose it's simply a matter of preference and comfort with whatever connotations the model thinks an article of clothing conveys.  Personally, I'll work in anything except my birthday suit.

Fred Ackerman wrote:
I've shot commercial lingerie for many years.. It's quite different than bathing suits.. you can usually see though them and they're quite skimpy too. It's almost like the model having nothing on.. somewhat!

Yes, especially with the styles of lingerie that are popular these days.  It's not all skimpy, though.  There was plenty to be seen on the Victoria's Secret fashion show that had plenty of fabric, but the fashions were sheer or lacy and see-through. 

I am also a photographer and I got my start long before Photoshop existed.  There's not much you can do about skimpy but there are techniques a model can use with sheer and lacy skivvies to keep certain, um, details from being exposed. I use them, and I think if you'll look at my lingerie images you'll agree that sheer or lacy garments need not be an issue.

Dec 05 12 06:28 am Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Firstly, you don't often see sheer swimsuits or swimsuits laced so thin you can see genitalia.

Secondly, lingerie is an UNDERgarment. A swimsuit or bikini is not.

Thirdly, a woman can easily justify to herself wearing swimwear, but stripping off clothes and showing undergarments has connotations of other genre. Bum deal for fashion lingerie people, but that's how the cookie crumbles, it is not uncommon with indie models it seems to view lingerie as a no, even when they have ticked "fetish", "fashion". It can be irritating at times, but as someone said, move on, find someone more comfortable in front of the camera/photographer.

There's plenty you can do with skimpy btw, try having shadows for a start, just one very simple and effective idea. Any subject can be tweaked for any platform with the right light.

Dec 05 12 07:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Ms Selina K wrote:
Lingerie and swim wear are different in the regard that lingerie is intimate wear. It implies sexuality more so than a swimsuit, even though they both may show the same amount of skin. It's about the purpose, not the amount of material.

+1  This

There is a vast difference between exploitation of a woman's femininity and honoring the female form... 

I don't shot lingerie for this reason... 
A tasteful implied is far more elegant...

The only exception might be a Victoria Secret runway event...
In this case the context is fashion...

Dec 05 12 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Azimuth Arts

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

SSModel wrote:
I have no problem modeling thongs or lingerie no matter how small, sheer or revealing.

I have been wearing thong bikinis in public at my apartment and on the beach since I was 16. Also skimpy thong bikinis and Brazilian bikinis are all the rage now and  more and more woman are wearing them in public. So the "models" that won't wear these types of clothing to a shoot are not really "Professional" models and don't model for a living. They are also behind the times.

Sorry ladies who don't wear thongs but you are behind the times and you are limiting your modeling careers..

I normally don't like to get into ancient resurrected threads, but the above really annoys me. 

A model's professionalism has absolutely nothing to do with whether they will model in a thong.  There is at least one model in this thread who has indicated she will not model in a thong who by all accounts is quite professional and I suspect makes a better living at modelling than most models on this site.

It's true that a model with as few limitations as possible will have more opportunities, but by no means does it mean they can't make a living.  There are many genres where posing in a thong is not a requirement, including most commercial and fashion work.

Just my $0.02

Dec 05 12 07:15 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

SSModel wrote:

lol

Please, grace us with your definition of what a "real" model is that does this for a living, because I know plenty that don't shoot those things. smile

Dec 06 12 01:32 am Link

Model

SSModel

I not only model but I actually hire a dozen or so models each year (alway paid) for my swimwear line. Some of the models we find on mm but most are agency models or referrals. The girls we hire model for a living, not just for fun. Most are published and look at this as a job.

That is my definition of a professional model and unlike you and the other whiners on this site, a professional model doesn't show up and refuse to wear a thong. You think Kate Moss,  Gisele or any of the other super models have a problem wearing a thong? Do you think for one moment that an agency would sign a model who refused to model lingerie or a thong?

That is my definition of a pro. Grace us with your definition.

K I C K H A M wrote:
lol

Please, grace us with your definition of what a "real" model is that does this for a living, because I know plenty that don't shoot those things. smile

Dec 06 12 04:56 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

James_Cessna wrote:
I have talked to several models before shoots to discuss their outfits for the shoot. Some of them will not wear a swimsuit thong or lingerie thong. Some will. I feel that wearing a thong bottom is almost standard now for glamour modeling. I've also talked with some who will wear a two piece swimsuit but will not wear lingerie. What's the difference? They show the same amount. So my question to you is

I have no idea what would be wrong with a model in a thong...

https://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data/500/mankini.jpg

Dec 06 12 05:34 am Link

Photographer

BodyIndustry

SSModel wrote:
I not only model but I actually hire a dozen or so models each year (alway paid) for my swimwear line. Some of the models we find on mm but most are agency models or referrals. The girls we hire model for a living, not just for fun. Most are published and look at this as a job.

That is my definition of a professional model and unlike you and the other whiners on this site, a professional model doesn't show up and refuse to wear a thong. You think Dean Johnson,  Gisele or any of the other super models have a problem wearing a thong? Do you think for one moment that an agency would sign a model who refused to model lingerie or a thong?

1 Wow

Dec 06 12 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Azimuth Arts

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

K I C K H A M wrote:
lol

SSModel wrote:

That is my definition of a professional model and unlike you and the other whiners on this site, a professional model doesn't show up and refuse to wear a thong. You think Dean Johnson,  Gisele or any of the other super models have a problem wearing a thong? Do you think for one moment that an agency would sign a model who refused to model lingerie or a thong?

I can assure you that there are many commercial and fashion models signed with agencies that don't shoot in thongs.  Just because Dean Johnson and Gisele will shoot in a thong does not mean all models do.  Dean Johnson will also shoot nude, does that mean that all agency models will shoot nude?  Hint - they don't. 

90%  of the work that commercial and fashion agencies book will never require a model to wear a thong on camera (except maybe under the dress she is modelling).  Other types of modelling agencies may have more strict requirements for their models to be willing to shoot in thongs.

When you request a model from an agency for a commercial shoot you specify what the wardrobe is.  If it's swimwear or lingerie then they will provide models willing to shoot at that level.  But if you tell them the shoot is for prom dresses or an ad for Old Navy - don't expect the models will be willing to wear a thong as that is not a normal part of those shoots.

Just my $0.02

Dec 06 12 08:34 am Link

Model

Samanthax

Ashton-in-Makerfield, England, United Kingdom

If Dean Johnson jumped in a fire, would you? As nice as she is - i just wouldn't fall lead. Just because something is potrayed in the media doesnt necceasirly means its what you should do. Dean Johnson or Giselle may want to wear thongs but we live in a world of free will and if we want to feel comfortable, we can.
If a so called unprofessional model doesn't want to wear a thong and the agency is so angry then simply fire the model and move on, I wouldn't make such a big deal out of it to be quite honest since tehre are LOTS of models out there.
To me, professional means not coming up with silly excuses for not turning up or coming to a shoot so high they cannot simply converse coherently.
If it is unproffesional for a model to decline wearing a thong then i guess 50 percent would be unproffesional. I, on the other hand have no objections to wearing a thong but just because I do I wouldn't expect someone else to or try and force it on them when they don't like the idea, it's basic respect

Dec 06 12 10:02 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

SSModel wrote:

I'm a professional agency model that does this for a living.

I don't whine. I say, "This isn't something I shoot." Everyone has limits, it's just where you place yours. My agency doesn't send me out for jobs that require lingerie or nudity, so I don't have a problem. I don't show up to a shoot that requires it, because I don't get sent out for those jobs.

My definition of a pro is someone who gets paid to do this, takes it seriously, and does their job.

Though you may not believe it, many times modeling doesn't require wearing a thong.

Dec 06 12 10:56 am Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Azimuth Arts wrote:
I can assure you that there are many commercial and fashion models signed with agencies that don't shoot in thongs.  Just because Dean Johnson and Gisele will shoot in a thong does not mean all models do.  Dean Johnson will also shoot nude, does that mean that all agency models will shoot nude?  Hint - they don't. 

90%  of the work that commercial and fashion agencies book will never require a model to wear a thong on camera (except maybe under the dress she is modelling).  Other types of modelling agencies may have more strict requirements for their models to be willing to shoot in thongs.

When you request a model from an agency for a commercial shoot you specify what the wardrobe is.  If it's swimwear or lingerie then they will provide models willing to shoot at that level.  But if you tell them the shoot is for prom dresses or an ad for Old Navy - don't expect the models will be willing to wear a thong as that is not a normal part of those shoots.

Just my $0.02

Right?

There are a lot more sides to this industry than people care to look at sometimes.

Let me re-iterate. I don't think there is anything wrong with shooting in thongs/ shooting nudes. I also don't think there is anything wrong with choosing not to.

If you shoot nudes/thong/etc, that will turn some commercial clients off (though, for the most part, how would they know?). If you don't, that will turn off certain companies/ fashion magazines.

In general, not shooting nudes will cost you more jobs than shooting them. However, the jobs that require thongs and nudity are usually editorial and don't pay as well, whereas the "I'm a normal girl wearing clothes and crap" commercial stuff pays much better. The major upside to doing lingerie stuff is that most people don't care and you can do both. But you can certainly still survive without.

There are definite upsides and downsides to both.

Dec 06 12 11:02 am Link

Model

Luna Diosa

Elizabeth, New Jersey, US

Ms Selina K wrote:
I do a fair amount of lingerie work, but I take issue with thongs because I hate the damn things. In my opinion there's nothing sexy or glamorous about them, and well your ass is hanging out so not much of a pair of "bottoms" really. I don't even wear them for my fiance (and like myself he's all about the lingerie and me dressing up).

Lingerie and swim wear are different in the regard that lingerie is intimate wear. It implies sexuality more so than a swimsuit, even though they both may show the same amount of skin. It's about the purpose, not the amount of material.

This ^ 100%

Dec 06 12 11:02 am Link

Model

CRIMSON REIGN

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I don't have a problem with wearing thongs, 2 piece bathing suits, or lingerie since I'm willing to pose nude anyway. Thongs, IMO and depending on how it's shot, can add length to the legs and when wearing skin tight clothing, won't show panty lines. Most of my lingerie pics are in a thong, but depending on how it's shot, you can't really tell.

Dec 07 12 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticGlamour

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jenn Whitten-Hancock wrote:
Swimwear ------> Swimming
Lingerie -------> Sexy time

Exactly...it's like when I wear my "business socks".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU

Oh yeah Baby. She just knows.

Dec 07 12 08:47 pm Link

Model

KaliChaos

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

James_Cessna wrote:
I have talked to serveral models before shoots to dicuss their outfits for the shoot. Some of them will not wear a swimsuit thong or lingerie thong. Some will. I feel that wearing a thong bottom is almost standard now for glamour modeling. I've also talked with some who will wear a two piece swimsuit but will not wear lingerie. What's the difference? They show the same amount. So my question to you is

1.I would, but I generally don't like the way I look in them. My body shape doesn't suit them very much and I wouldn't want that to take away from the image at all!

2. The way you wear lingerie and swimsuits is different, as well as a lot of the posing. That's the only difference I see between the two!

Kayz

Dec 08 12 04:21 pm Link

Model

Rebecca Lawrence

New York, New York, US

I've been a nude model for ages, but I still cringe when asked to put on a thong.  That's typically the point in the shoot where I stop looking like "me" and become an object.  I've rarely, if ever, liked the pictures.

Dec 08 12 04:28 pm Link

Model

Raven Nyx

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Thongs is great dental floss smile

Dec 08 12 04:28 pm Link