This thread was locked on 2015-05-30 08:24:37
Forums > Events > Sept 2 Mexican Cruiseshoot / Cabo-Puerta Vallerta

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Mark G Bissell wrote:
JT, I will definitely not be bringing anywhere close to $10 k on this trip, however let's leave some room on this thread for the models to respond with artistic and or other shoot related questions. Please smile

CORRECTION & CLARIFICATION on cash limits: Last time I studied this was about a decade ago and apparently my memory is failing. I fact checked myself and I think that my previous post was misleading. According to the link that I posted, there is NO LEGAL LIMIT to how much cash you can carry [of course, weight and size could becoming a constraining factor but that's not a legal limit per se]. Merely that at the US$10,000+ level US regulations require formal DISCLOSURE. Therefore, I considered rescinding my offer to help anyone with excess cash because you can do it yourself but since I'm still a nice guy, if anyone needs help keeping under the legal limit, I'll have plenty of excess capacity! :-) If you need help, PM me and let's discuss terms and conditions privately. I can get an address for you to ship your briefcase of petty cash and I can get it on board for you. :-)

FORUM LIMITS:
By scanning the first few pages of all the forums, I noted in
"Off-Topic Discussions":
"Song Title Game II   Andy Durazo   15,541   photoimager   08-18-12 03:11 am"

I don't know how to search for threads sorted by number of posts so there may be another thread that even exceeds the one above. I'd welcome someone educating me to refine my research and data-gathering methodology.

This thread that's we're on just broke 2,000, so unless there is some limitation of which I'm not aware we have at least 13,000 more posts to go! There is plenty of room.

There are several other threads in the 5-digit range (exceeding 10,000).

INVENTORY OF PERSONNEL:
I find the entourage that Gary has assembled to be ensorceling and I agree with him--we as a group want to bring everyone back, in one piece, alive and well. It's not much fun doing otherwise. We want the number we take and the number we bring to be equal. We want the number of visits to the penalty box to be zero. This means we need to find out what the refs view as infractions and be conservative in our play so we don't get brigged. Reminder: no running! :-)

Gary: KUTGW! :-)

PS http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Riot+Act
Interesting and educational. Looking forward to hearing the riot act read! :-)

Aug 18 12 07:22 am Link

Model

Celine Alissandra

Los Angeles, California, US

One shot I would like to see as a group would be for all of the models (in bikinis) to be lying on their stomachs...lined up on the beach.  33 booties (or more)

Perhaps we should try to get at least one group shot at each of our group shoots?  Maybe best to do it at the very beginning...

Aug 18 12 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Paul Albert

Select Models wrote:
Hey hey... hate to burst everyone's bubble on this party... but there will be ABSOLUTELY NO running around on the beach naked and contacting lawyers.  This entire group will be read 'the riot act' on the Sept 2nd buffet dinner meeting.  One if my 'prime directives' is to MAKE SURE NONE OF YOU get thrown in jail for doing something stupid, or ignorantly end up busting Mexican laws.  When in doubt, you error on the side of safety, and YOU DONT take your chances on commiting any possible crime that will get you throw in Mexican jail... OR... get you banned from the ship. 

Last year I witnessed a cruiseboat passenger being arrested by Carnival's onboard security personel.  That person was transported IMMEDIATELY to the Airport in Cabo San Lucas, and flown home, without participating in the remainder of the cruise or it's festivities.  This IS NOT going to happen to ANYONE in this group... because YOU WILL be on your best behavior the entire 7 days of this event... COMPRENDE?... of course you do... wink

GondolinImaging wrote:
Gary I hate to do this again, but I'm agreeing with you, sort of.

I love to shoot nudes, but the most important rule of travel is to respect the traditions and customs of the country you are visiting.  Mexico is one of the few countries more backwards on nudity than the US.  Women bathe very modestly there, so public nudity on local beaches, frowned on.  Would you shoot nudes on Santa Monica beach?  Like LA, there seem to be some beaches we could shoot nudes, but is safety an issue?  I would think that we could get away with your mermaid late in the day at our resort day (late, since if they kick us out, which I really doubt, we won't miss much)
You have to do something pretty outrageous to be arrested by Carnival security.  They will ask you to stop long before they arrest you.

BTW, I have no idea why half my post is in the middle of Gary's post, maybe my IPad couldn't believe what I was typing?

Over 2,000 posts, and about 1,800 bloated with hyperbole.

We are going to be more than 70 people.  I plan to be respectful or the location, of my peers, of the models, and of everyone I encounter.  I also plan on being very patient, and flexible.  Anyone that has done any group traveling with more that 6 people knows that short of a bout 3 herding dogs, and 2 Sherpas per 4 people, gathering the group, getting them all to agree on one thing, and motivating them to be somewhere at a certain time is a challenge.  So Gary, hats off to you for stepping in to the roll, however, my expectations are not as black and white as are being portrayed.  So I have set goals, do my best to make sure my model is happy, meet lots of new friends, reconnect with old friends, learn how to improve my photography, get lots of wonderful images, don't be a patsy, don't be an asshole, and if in doubt, step away.

So perhaps the golden rule is the best strategy.  Yup, I have seen some pretty outrageous things on Carnival ships, and then seen the same person who committed those atrocities sitting at the captain's table for dinner.  There is some wide latitude, but common sense certainly would rule the day.

Clean your lenses, dust your sensors, format your cards, charge your batteries, and get ready for one of the best times you can have in the span of a week.  I do not know who all these saboteurs are that would try to ruin this event, but I think that a bad attitude is about the only concern that has any potential to leave someone unhappy with the trip. With 70 people, and another 3000 plus on the boat, beautiful vistas, and so much other variety, if one is unable to maximize their investment and walk away with a great memory, then even the Queen of England would not have enough resources to make that person happy.

Two more weeks!!!!!  I am so looking forward to meeting all you wonderful folks.  I'll be the guy with the shorts, and a camera...

Aug 18 12 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Gemini Dragon

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Could not have said it better Paul!

Aug 18 12 08:55 am Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

regarding cash

you just have to declare "monetary instruments" over $10,000

but plastic is omitted from the customs checklist. you could literally get thirty $500 prepaid cards ($15,000 worth) and ignore those capital controls

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail … e-monetary

kind of like how TSA sometimes bans outside water bottles through airport security but allows unlimited saline solution on flights, they only check for and exempt bottles that say saline solution

*shrug*

I personally dont think you'll need so much cash in mexico

Aug 18 12 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Paul Albert wrote:
Over 2,000 posts, and about 1,800 bloated with hyperbole.

But HEY... all that hyperbole plays a very important role... wink   Keeps this thread always floating near the top of the forum... borat... much to the dismay of a few hundred other irritated event posters... lol

Aug 18 12 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Mark G Bissell

Jacksonville, North Carolina, US

Celine Alissandra wrote:
One shot I would like to see as a group would be for all of the models (in bikinis) to be lying on their stomachs...lined up on the beach.  33 booties (or more)

Perhaps we should try to get at least one group shot at each of our group shoots?  Maybe best to do it at the very beginning...

Thank you Celine for bringing this thread back to focus. Concepts and Imagination. I Love Your Idea of the 30 + for a "booty" shot, or expand it to laying on your stomach, back or standing.

It would not have to be just bikinis and Crazy as it may sound that I work with Denim Everyday and have not yet been able to get enough denim for this shoot. Finding the right sizes for each model is a perilous dilemma.

Yet if every model brought her favorite pair of denim (ripped up, cut up or worn out and distressed, or new and fits well) jeans, shorts or skirts I would
Love to achieve your concept with all these wonderful ladies walking out of the ocean together and then laying on the beach ... Conceptually would be amazing !!!

Aug 18 12 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Paul Albert wrote:
I have seen some pretty outrageous things on Carnival ships, and then seen the same person who committed those atrocities sitting at the captain's table for dinner.  There is some wide latitude, but common sense certainly would rule the day.

Yeah... well... as the ringleader of our shooting circus... there could be a few other non-related shipmates who may see me as 'the instigator of modeling atrocities'... yikes... well  tongue  on them... lol   And that Captain dude... he should SERIOUSLY be buyin me a few drinks... I mean HEY... I'm directly responsible of tossing thousands of dollars in his direction... wink

Aug 18 12 10:00 am Link

Photographer

GMAX Imagery

San Diego, California, US

Gemini Photo wrote:
Could not have said it better Paul!

+1

Aug 18 12 10:04 am Link

Model

Maria Cedar

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Mark G Bissell wrote:
Thank you Celine for bringing this thread back to focus. Concepts and Imagination. I Love Your Idea of the 30 + for a "booty" shot, or expand it to laying on your stomach, back or standing.

It would not have to be just bikinis and Crazy as it may sound that I work with Denim Everyday and have not yet been able to get enough denim for this shoot. Finding the right sizes for each model is a perilous dilemma.

Yet if every model brought her favorite pair of denim (ripped up, cut up or worn out and distressed, or new and fits well) jeans, shorts or skirts I would
Love to achieve your concept with all these wonderful ladies walking out of the ocean together and then laying on the beach ... Conceptually would be amazing !!!

Aug 18 12 10:14 am Link

Model

Maria Cedar

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Mark G Bissell wrote:

Note to self. Adding denim attire to suitcase.

Aug 18 12 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

If you take a minute to scan thru the top five rows of my MM image portfolio... you'll spot lots of images taken of models who attended past cruiseboat photoshoots.  Here's one that's not on the port... wink

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/GaryAbigt/Jamie8.jpg
Sexy fashion Jamie... toting her 'Americas Next Top Model' bag past the cruiseboat gift shops... on her way to Puerto Vallarta... borat

Aug 18 12 11:12 am Link

Model

Celine Alissandra

Select Models wrote:
If you take a minute to scan thru the top five rows of my MM image portfolio... you'll spot lots of images taken of models who attended past cruiseboat photoshoots.  Here's one that's not on the port... wink

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/GaryAbigt/Jamie8.jpg
Sexy fashion Jamie... toting her 'Americas Next Top Model' bag past the cruiseboat gift shops... on her way to Puerto Vallarta... borat

oh those boots!

Aug 18 12 11:20 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Paul Albert wrote:
So perhaps the golden rule is the best strategy.

Clean your lenses, dust your sensors, format your cards, charge your batteries, and get ready for one of the best times you can have in...a week.

Request upgrade to Platinum Rule.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Platinum_Rule

Getting ready: doubled storage capacity, acquired new hardware to go mobile, bought new software, learning how to utilize and optimize, etc. etc. etc.

Aug 18 12 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Bob-W

Simi Valley, California, US

Gary,
Should we allocate any funds for Cabo and PV security? I'm thinking local law types or hotel security to handle all these crowds that might cling to us like paparazzi?

Aug 18 12 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mark G Bissell

Maria Cedar wrote:
Note to self. Adding denim attire to suitcase.

Maria You Are Amazing and Thank You !!!

Aug 18 12 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Bob-W wrote:
Gary,
Should we allocate any funds for Cabo and PV security? I'm thinking local law types or hotel security to handle all these crowds that might cling to us like paparazzi?

Nah... save that money.  We're going to be working in small groups and rotating for 2 reasons:

1.  So that the cruiseshoot doesn't 'appear' to be such a huge gangbang event.
2.  So that passerbys and looky lew traffic will be kept to a minimum.

Even doing this... it may not be an easy task... just way too many beautiful models attending... but NO arguements from photographers on that huh!... wink

Aug 18 12 12:57 pm Link

Model

Celine Alissandra

I'm bringing my black angels wings with deep red tips, a burlesque style outfit, some belly dancing items, some satin nighties (for a night shoot?), a couple of long capes and of course some denim and swim suits.  And if my underwater costume turns out, I will bring it as well...

I may even have a slave princess leia costume by that time too...

I got my thinking cap on!

Aug 18 12 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Mark G Bissell

Select Models wrote:

Nah... save that money.  We're going to be working in small groups and rotating for 2 reasons:

1.  So that the cruiseshoot doesn't 'appear' to be such a huge gangbang event.
2.  So that passerbys and looky lew traffic will be kept to a minimum.

Even doing this... it may not be an easy task... just way too many beautiful models attending... but NO arguements from photographers on that huh!... wink

No arguments here, smaller rotating groups works so much better and you know from the Laguna Beach Mini shoots how bystanders can get in the way.

Natural light and less equipment also helps you stay less noticeable.

Aug 18 12 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Mark G Bissell wrote:

No arguments here, smaller rotating groups works so much better and you know from the Laguna Beach Mini shoots how bystanders can get in the way.

Natural light and less equipment also helps you stay less noticeable.

BINGO... wink

Aug 18 12 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Lethal Lexie wrote:
Hi all, just wanted to once again notify everyone of my availability for the cruise. I am still very interested in attending. My schedule is open and I am prepared and ready to attend at a last minutes notice in the event that perhaps someone's model cancels or if a photographer just decides last minute they just gotta have another amazing and reliable model wink who has no restrictions, passport ready, and a seasoned traveler as well as model. I have references available upon request, I've worked a lot with Gary (select models) and am confident he will be able to give insight to my hardworking and fun spirited work ethic to anyone interested!

I like Lethal Lexie! :-)

Aug 18 12 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

FFantastique wrote:

I like Lethal Lexie! :-)

Me too... GREAT MODEL!... borat

Aug 18 12 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Mark G Bissell wrote:
Note to all. As I have been informed by Carnival it is most appropriate to pre confirm / register the confirmation of boarding prior to departure. It can save each person 2 hours + with boarding time.

The requirements would be the full legal name, date of birth, method of identification to include passport #, drivers license #, and or name on birth certificate or other appropriate documentation

We have no need to hinder the individual's nor the ships departure time.

I will call tomorrow to get all the facts yet if someone already has them please pass along what you know !!!
Photographers and or person responsible for the booking can go to the website and do all of this through "manage my cruise"

https://secure.carnival.com/BookedGuest/

Done! Printed Boarding Pass and Luggage Tags.
Printed multiple copies of Luggage Tags--plan to insert duplicates inside luggage as backup in case outside ones rip off.

http://www.iramonko.com/MexicoCruiseShoot/
About a fortnight remains on the countdown timer!
Not much time left but...

"If you need to obtain a passport quickly, Carnival recommends that you contact ZVS at http://www.zvs.com/carnival or by phone: 1-866-788-1100."
http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?f … t#q-544391

Carnival indicates that that 7 interior cabins still available for 2 people. Estimated stock out: 2 days. Residency rate $494.

Working on checklist.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … 77&page=43

My plan is to be at:
Long Beach Cruise Terminal aka Port of Long Beach, CA
231 Windsor Way
Long Beach CA 90802
by 12:00 noon (PT) for a 12:30-15:00 embarkation window.
http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?f … s#q-668938

Emergency number: 877-885-4856 (if you're delayed by severe adverse weather, airline strike, earthquake, drawbridge, nuclear, catastrophe, etc. and your embarkation attempt is in jeopardy.)

Not excited at all. Just another educational international intercultural oceanography trip to learn more about the ocean floor, navigation, and naval operations!  [JK :-)]

Aug 18 12 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

-Ira

New York, New York, US

Select Models wrote:

We're going to be working in small groups and rotating

Thank you.  IMO, "Gang bang" shoots aren't conducive to a successful shoot for the model or photographer.

Aug 18 12 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

-Ira wrote:
Thank you.  IMO, "Gang bang" shoots aren't conducive to a successful shoot for the model or photographer.

Totally agree... but unlike true gangbang shoots that are several photographers to one model... these small groupshoots will have better than a one to one ratio for photographers... resulting in much more effective and productive individual shooting times... wink

Aug 18 12 08:42 pm Link

Model

Brooke Nichole Model

New York, New York, US

Maria Cedar wrote:
I love the denim idea! i'll bring a pair. but what exactly do you mean by 30+...thirty what?

Aug 18 12 08:55 pm Link

Model

Brooke Nichole Model

New York, New York, US

Celine Alissandra wrote:
Angel wings?! omg i want to shoot with those, i've been wanting to add a concept like that to my book. Great idea!

Aug 18 12 08:58 pm Link

Model

Maria Cedar

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Brooke Nicholes--Maria Cedar wrote:
I love the denim idea! i'll bring a pair. but what exactly do you mean by 30+...thirty what?

Just read a few posts prior--From Mark G Bissell: "Thank you Celine for bringing this thread back to focus. Concepts and Imagination. I Love Your Idea of the 30 + for a "booty" shot, or expand it to laying on your stomach, back or standing."

Aug 18 12 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Yani S

Hey guys just a quick side note!
I had a photographer contact me for a model because one of his dropped out!
So I going to pass this on to everyone! I have several models ready to go! All great! So if one of yours drops out let me know! Since I can only take one or two of them sad
But Once I pick those Ill put the rest on standby for you guys or girls. I don't know if there's any girl photographers going LoL
Peace-Out!

Aug 18 12 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

-Ira

New York, New York, US

"FFantastique" pointed out that since I didn't use a 24 hour clock my timer was off 12 hours.  Who is surprised this would get past him?

Nevertheless I've updated my  countdown clock to be more accurate.

https://dailydot.s3.amazonaws.com/uploaded/images/original/2012/8/12/Tick_Tock.gif

Aug 18 12 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

-Ira wrote:
"FFantastique" pointed out that since I didn't use a 24 hour clock my timer was off 12 hours.  Who is surprised this would get past him?

Nevertheless I've updated my countdown clock to be more accurate.

https://dailydot.s3.amazonaws.com/uploaded/images/original/2012/8/12/Tick_Tock.gif

Ira:
Thou art a good man! :-)
Thanks for the revised version.
I didn't want anyone at the dock at 04:30 fusing and fuming and wondering where the     we are! LOL.

BTW, the gif reminds me of Tom Hanks in "Castaway" where he plays a FedEx man, "tick tock, tick tock!" :-)

Aug 18 12 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Mark G Bissell

Brooke Nicholes wrote:

30 + = 30 + Models all in Denim together walking into and out of the ocean as a group of Beauty !!!

Aug 19 12 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Mark G Bissell

Brooke Nicholes wrote:

Celine Alissandra wrote:
Angel wings?! omg i want to shoot with those, i've been wanting to add a concept like that to my book. Great idea!

Could we do Angel Wings and Denim? That would be interesting, Denim Jeans, Shorts or Skirt, Have never seen a Denim Bra, yet whatever your favorite color bra or bikini to match your wings sounds fun !!!

Aug 19 12 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Mark G Bissell

Fortunate for all of us we have (Jodi Vaughn-MUA Extraordinaire, MM#1212030) and (Trina Merry-Body Painting Supertalent, MM#1694588).

Their supplies cost money, I am willing to help cover the costs of their supplies, hope others will to. I am also willing to give some extra time to models who want to use their talents.

Rather than paying for nude shoots I think paying for the supplies of these two talented artists to help capture shots of all models interested in using their talents would be so much better and help you to achieve photos that you really want.

Thoughts and suggestions or just agreeing as a group that this would be a great idea ...

Aug 19 12 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Maddox51

La Quinta, California, US

How many Photogs are bringing portable pop up changing rooms?
example ...
http://www.califpalms.com/_e/Other_Prod … psible.htm

Aug 19 12 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Mark G Bissell

Maddox51 wrote:
How many Photogs are bringing portable pop up changing rooms?
example ...
http://www.califpalms.com/_e/Other_Prod … psible.htm

I have a light weight beach tent as well as a tent meant for a bike trip both small yet useful for models to change or for photographers to store gear. I will be bring them.

The link you posted looks amazing and I think a few of those and my stuff would be essential for the beach shoots.

Aug 19 12 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Eric E Photo

Gary,

This is the best cruise ever ! The llama line up is amazing!!
You are the talk of the industry not just because of your cruise coming up but
your photography is exceptional!! I appreciate your expertise and wisdom of
photography. I cannot wait to go on the cruise!!
    Sincerely,
    Eric

Aug 19 12 09:15 am Link

Model

Celine Alissandra

Mark G Bissell wrote:

Brooke Nicholes wrote:

Could we do Angel Wings and Denim? That would be interesting, Denim Jeans, Shorts or Skirt, Have never seen a Denim Bra, yet whatever your favorite color bra or bikini to match your wings sounds fun !!!

I like the denim/angel wings idea. For any other models who want to do this, you can get the wings at Party City...I think they are around $15.

Aug 19 12 09:53 am Link

Model

Celine Alissandra

This may seem like a silly question but should we pack towels for the beach shoots or will we be able to use the ship's towels?

Aug 19 12 10:33 am Link

Body Painter

Trina Merry

New York, New York, US

Mark G Bissell wrote:
Fortunate for all of us we have (Jodi Vaughn-MUA Extraordinaire, MM#1212030) and (Trina Merry-Body Painting Supertalent, MM#1694588).

Their supplies cost money, I am willing to help cover the costs of their supplies, hope others will to. I am also willing to give some extra time to models who want to use their talents.

Rather than paying for nude shoots I think paying for the supplies of these two talented artists to help capture shots of all models interested in using their talents would be so much better and help you to achieve photos that you really want.

Thoughts and suggestions or just agreeing as a group that this would be a great idea ...

Thanks Mark!  My pricing is all-inclusive & materials are included.  Bookings can be arranged thru GMAX.  Look forward to meeting you all! smile

Aug 19 12 10:41 am Link