Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Free Critique From Established Beauty Photographer

Photographer

PTUI Images

Galt, California, US

"liked" and waiting. smile

Jul 20 12 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Felipe Jimenez wrote:
Liked the page. Would love some feedback smile)

Thanks for the 'like'...

You have a thorough collection of images. Your use of natural light and composition control is good. The model selection is also good. Some of the images could look more appealing if you used them together. This would work for display in your printed book, but obviously not so much in a lifestyle ad.

I read your bio and noticed that you mentioned not using much artificial light. Why is this? Have you done studio work?

(((chace)))

Jul 20 12 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

RnR Photos wrote:
"liked" and waiting. smile

Thanks for the 'like' (=

There are some good images in your collection. Some of your images I would leave out though because they take away from the the others. Try to display your absolute best images. I know as photographers we want to hold on to the images that we like, but sometimes these aren't the one's that the viewer(s) take to. Have you tried letting people see them and having friends/strangers choose images that they like? Overall your port is decent, but can become solid.

(((chace)))

Jul 20 12 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Felipe Jimenez

Denver, Colorado, US

Chace Photography wrote:

Thanks for the 'like'...

You have a thorough collection of images. Your use of natural light and composition control is good. The model selection is also good. Some of the images could look more appealing if you used them together. This would work for display in your printed book, but obviously not so much in a lifestyle ad.

I read your bio and noticed that you mentioned not using much artificial light. Why is this? Have you done studio work?

(((chace)))

Thank you! I really appreciate that. I'm still trying to build my portfolio using different models so then I can just show one pic of each shoot on this site. I feel that might be one of the best ways to show my work. As to the natural light comment, I have. But I just feel like I know how to use natural lighting a lot better. Maybe if I had an actual studio with nice equipment it could be something Id try, but as of right now, I like being on location.

Jul 20 12 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Felipe Jimenez wrote:

Thank you! I really appreciate that. I'm still trying to build my portfolio using different models so then I can just show one pic of each shoot on this site. I feel that might be one of the best ways to show my work. As to the natural light comment, I have. But I just feel like I know how to use natural lighting a lot better. Maybe if I had an actual studio with nice equipment it could be something Id try, but as of right now, I like being on location.

You're welcome. It's not so much about the variation of models as it is how you display the ones you've worked with. There are levels to everything and I'm looking at your work and giving you my thoughts from strictly a commercial usage level. For instance, if you utilized the variation of perspective and DOF in 17 and 18 by combining the two images, it would showcase the variation more.

I completely understand your comfort with natural light. I'm a studio photographer by trade but I shoot on location a lot as well. Whatever you do, don't get caught in two traps that photographers often get caught in: comfort and equipment. When one becomes comfortable in her/his work, their work can become a reflection of that. Also, when one gets too caught up in the idea of having the 'right' equipment one can lose site of the image itself. I've worked with everything form pin-hole box cameras to H4D-60s...from natural sunlight with no modifiers to 12 light Profoto set-ups. I've learned that it's sometimes more about the concepts and people that drive these concepts than the equipment used to capture these concepts. Now, having said that, there are certain equipment set-ups that are essential for certain commissioned projects that the client requests! smile

Keep shooting and keep in touch!

(((chace)))

Jul 20 12 10:20 am Link

Model

Rob Bryant

Brooklyn, New York, US

Just liked your FB Fanpage. Would love to hear your thoughts on my current portfolio.

Thanks,

-Rob

Jul 20 12 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Rob Bryant wrote:
Just liked your FB Fanpage. Would love to hear your thoughts on my current portfolio.

Thanks,

-Rob

Thanks for the 'like'.

You have a good collection of images. I see most of them as lifestyle-type of shots with some of them perhaps beauty/product. They are cropped in such a way, however, that it is difficult to connect them to commerce. It is one thing to have a good image, it is another to create and image that can be utilized/purchased for use in commerce. If you are going in the direction of lifestyle type of modeling, the images shouldn't be cropped so close. What do you want to do with modeling?

(((chace)))

Jul 21 12 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Paul Carswell

London, England, United Kingdom

Have liked so (nervously) hit me.

Jul 21 12 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Paul Carswell  wrote:
Have liked so (nervously) hit me.

Thanks for the 'like' and no need to be nervous! smile We all have/had to start from somewhere.

Two aspects: the way you capture images, and the way you display images.

Overall, you have decent images. I would try a number of vantage points when composing your shot(s). Try to have a focal point and general purpose for the composition. It's good for the eye to follow from this focal point outward. Some of your images look flat. If you have multiple lights, attempt to re-position them and try new heights/distances for your lights in relation to the sitter. If you are working with a single/double light set-up, attempt to use bounce or natural light from windows/open doors. Depending on where you position the light, you will change dimension and the perceived perspective of the shots.

Now, having said that...I would display only your absolute best images from each shoot. Try to get a variety of opinions on the images before creating a collection to display online. MOST of these opinions should be from people outside of your immediate circle; strangers (inside or outside the industry) are always a plus for getting generally neutral thoughts. Overall, though, image viewing is really just an opinion. Images that have a strong impact and have punch should be the aim overall; this will dramatically change the opinion of viewers.

I would take out some of the images from your current collection. Again, try to display only the top tier and leave out the rest. Quantity isn't always better than quality.

Lastly...I would ask myself 'Why'? Try to have a point for doing the work you do. It could be for leisure/hobby, or for commerce. Your answer should guide how you go forward as a photographer.

Let me know if you need me to take a look at anything or if you have any questions in general. Hope this helps! smile Keep shooting!

(((chace)))

Jul 21 12 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Billy Corbin

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

I would like to hear what you have to say

Jul 22 12 04:33 pm Link

Model

MickCetera

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'd love to hear your opinion

Jul 22 12 06:03 pm Link

Model

CamiAnn

Los Angeles, California, US

Liked!...from a former Scottsdale girl... Critique away...do I get a handicap for being over 50?  ;-) j/k

Jul 22 12 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Billy Corbin  wrote:
I would like to hear what you have to say

Your collection is decent. Many of the images are soft and flat. Because you use the sun as your main light source, you have to utilize modifiers. Large scrims work wonders and you can use them to shoot external strobes through as well for fill. This will allow for better shaping of the light.

Many of the images are lifestyle-type images that are well composed but can be made even better by controlling the light as much as possible. Also, go through your collection and take out the images that aren't your absolute best images.

Keep shooting!

(((chace)))

Jul 23 12 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

MickCetera wrote:
I'd love to hear your opinion

Your portfolio is good. It can be much better though, of course. You have a great look but you have to find photographers that can combine many elements to create great images. Some of the photography is just ok. The casting of female models could've been better to compliment your look. You would probably work in fashion and lifestyle type modeling. Keep at it and look to shoot with the best photographers that you possibly can; it will make a huge difference in the quality of production and image(s).

(((chace)))

Jul 23 12 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

CamiAnn wrote:
Liked!...from a former Scottsdale girl... Critique away...do I get a handicap for being over 50?  ;-) j/k

Thanks for the 'like'! No handicap at all, you look great! smile

You have a good variation of images in your collection. I'm impressed by your muscle tone and fitness. You have a great look. Keep at it!

(((chace)))

Jul 23 12 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Paul Tirado Photography

New York, New York, US

Would like your opinion. I liked your facebook page.

Jul 23 12 08:40 pm Link

Model

Alyson Pink

liked ur page. can i get a critique?

Jul 24 12 08:33 pm Link

Model

Sarah A Ward

Harrisonburg, Virginia, US

Liked. First shoot, so be kind.

Jul 24 12 08:39 pm Link

Model

Brenda MacSwan

Liked. Would love to know smile

Jul 25 12 11:47 am Link

Model

Tatiana Kuzmina

Orlando, Florida, US

Liked smile

Jul 25 12 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Paul Tirado Photography wrote:
Would like your opinion. I liked your facebook page.

I'm impressed with your work. You don't really need my opinion/critique, in my opinion smile The only thing I would like to see is a little less post on some of the beauty shots, and perhaps pushing the artistic envelope more as well. Other than that...great choice of images to include in your collection. Good use of light. Good composition control. Good model selection. Overall, many of the images in your collection are commercially viable. Keep shootin'!

For the first time in this thread...I'm going to ask someone for their opinion for a change of direction. What's your straightforward opinion on our work, please. Thanks in advance.

(((chace)))

Jul 26 12 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Alyson Pink wrote:
liked ur page. can i get a critique?

Thanks for the 'like'!

There aren't many images to make a reasonable statement about, but in general I think you would do best in the area of lifestyle. Some of the images have a creative element to them which is good. Overall, a decent set of images. Keep finding professional photographers to shoot with if this is your passion. Let me know when you upload more and I'll let you know what I think.

(((chace)))

Jul 26 12 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Sarah A Ward wrote:
Liked. First shoot, so be kind.

Thanks for the 'like'...and of course, all of my words come a place of understanding that everyone starts from somewhere. smile

You have a good look that might fit into lifestyle type of images. If you are serious about modeling, do your research. Look in magazines and other publications for ideas on posing and angles. Read some books on the business as well so that you can become adept at that side because it's a significant element of your career. Find as many professional photographers as you can who will work with you. Keep at it!

(((chace)))

Jul 26 12 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Brenda MacSwan wrote:
Liked. Would love to know smile

Thanks for the 'like'...

Your collection is limited but overall it's decent. You have great skin so perhaps some beauty work would be in-line. I would take out some of the images from your collection though. Some images take away from others. Keep at it.

(((chace)))

Jul 26 12 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Tatiana Kuzmina wrote:
Liked smile

Thanks for the 'like'...

You have a good collection of images that show a lot of variety. I like some of your life-style and fashion looks. You have long limbs so you must always be aware of angles and the way your limbs are held, or hang. Overall, the images are good.

(((chace)))

Jul 26 12 01:13 pm Link

Model

Brenda MacSwan

Thankyou for your feedback, would you mind.giving me an opinion on which photo I should take down?

Jul 26 12 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Brenda MacSwan wrote:
Thankyou for your feedback, would you mind.giving me an opinion on which photo I should take down?

You're welcome...No, not at all. Remember that it's important to display your absolute best images, images that could perhaps be sold or used in the market. I would keep: 1(if the re-touching wasn't overdone), 3,4,5,8,14,15,18(maybe), and 19. Sometimes quality is better than quantity.

What are you most interested in doing with modeling?

(((chace)))

Jul 27 12 11:08 am Link

Model

Brenda MacSwan

Thankyou! I'd like to get the first photo re done, it was overdone hmm but my goals are too go far in glamour, the type of stuff that the model Leticia Castro does (MM# 363133) We are the same height so there isn't much that I can do as far as high fashion goes! Trying to explore my roots right now and see what I should focus on to really get to where I want.

Jul 27 12 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Brenda MacSwan wrote:
Thankyou! I'd like to get the first photo re done, it was overdone hmm but my goals are too go far in glamour, the type of stuff that the model Leticia Castro does (MM# 363133) We are the same height so there isn't much that I can do as far as high fashion goes! Trying to explore my roots right now and see what I should focus on to really get to where I want.

You're welcome. I looked at her page and her images are decent. There are probably many photographers who shoot glamour-type of images, but just make sure they are credible and don't try to put you into a situation that's uncomfortable. That's good you are exploring because you never know what you will really like in modeling until you try. Keep at it and let me know if you want me to give you any critique on future images. Take care.

(((chace)))

Jul 29 12 01:11 pm Link

Model

Samantha Ashley Mathias

Manchester, New Hampshire, US

Interested.

Jul 29 12 05:11 pm Link

Model

KCLynne

Omaha, Nebraska, US

Liked.

Jul 29 12 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Shifting Colors

Washington, Pennsylvania, US

Liked...  Hit me!

Jul 29 12 09:48 pm Link

Model

BreezyCoverGirl

may i have advice on my face

Jul 30 12 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Shutter

Denver, Colorado, US

Like, what do you think of my work?

Jul 30 12 08:02 pm Link

Model

MickCetera

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'd love a critique

Jul 31 12 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Samantha Ashley Mathias wrote:
Interested.

You have a decent collection. Not too much variety so go out and seek photographers to shoot. There are some good ones. I think you would do best in beauty-type work. What are you interested in getting from modeling?

(((chace)))

Aug 01 12 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

KCLynne wrote:
Liked.

It's admirable that you have such an extensive background in modeling/singing! You have a decent collection. Bottom line is that if you enjoy it, keep at it!

(((chace)))

Aug 01 12 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Shifting Colors wrote:
Liked...  Hit me!

Thanks for the 'like'

As you know, your collection is limited so it's difficult to give any constructive critique. I will say that you seem to have a general grasp of light though. I'm glad to see that you are interested in the art for the sake of art. There is much debate about the validity of photography as a form of art and it's nice to know some of us understand and appreciate the art of it all. Keep at it! Let me know when you put more images up and I will give you any thoughts that I have.

(((chace)))

Aug 01 12 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

SayuriLilly  wrote:
may i have advice on my face

You have a good collection of images. I think you would work best in lifestyle type work. Pay close attention to your arms and the angles you create with them. Fashion photography is about the garment(s) so the garments must look there absolute best and this is accomplished, somewhat, by how the model poses. Study poses and practice in the mirror, a lot if you are interested in fashion or lifestyle work. Keep at it.

(((chace)))

Aug 01 12 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Timeless Shutter wrote:
Like, what do you think of my work?

Thanks for the 'like'

You have a good, but limited collection. That's good that you are going for a formal education and have as much passion and experience in photography as you do. What do you enjoy shooting most?

(((chace)))

Aug 01 12 01:55 pm Link