This thread was locked on 2013-05-05 20:16:10
Forums > Model Colloquy > Sleeping with photographers

Model

MartaBrixton

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi there!

I've got some questions for ya.

Have you ever slept with a photographer?
Have you ever got any offers?
Have you ever felt like you want to during the shoot?
Is that a common thing or not really?

I'm asking because once I had a paid shoot for a calendar and photographer suggested that I should sleep with him after the shoot. I felt really offended, cursed him badly and left. After that he sent me an email saying that I don't know the industry and I won't achieve anything, I'm just a kid and it's not for me, he wanted to promote me but I act like a virgin and also he said all models that he promoted slept with him and they are big now. I didn't get pictures and money, was really pissed off because I had to travel far and he treated me like a hoe. That made me think- is it really that common? Because I consider it as prostitution (sleeping with phtographer to get paid) so it's sad what women can do for doe.

From the other hand- I had a shoot with a really cute and hot photographer and I was really horny because he was sooo sexy and the way he was looking at me was just tooo much! So I wanted to see him again one day and go for a drink but then he said he has a wife so obviously didn't happen tongue

Photographers- do you ever get horny during a shoot? You have seen sooo many beautiful women so probably not, just asking anyway.

EDIT:
Just to clarify some thinks that some people don't understand.

1. I didn't offer sex the second photographer, just asked if he wants to go for a drink one day, I didn't know he is married and I wasn't flirting with him during the shoot. Also, it was just a TFP shoot. End of the story.

2. I didnt start this thread to ask you if I should sleep with photographers to get a job! As you should see I have a strong opinion about it and I would never do it because I'm not a prostitute. So don't get me wrong, I'm not even considering that option!

3. I am not sleeping around with photographers, I have never done this but I would if I met a SINGLE photographer that likes me and I like him and we just shooting TFP.

May 24 12 02:38 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

This..will..not..end..well.

May 24 12 02:46 am Link

Photographer

Aivaras G

Vilnius, Vilniaus, Lithuania

I do sleep with a photographer - she is my girlfriend smile

Jokes aside, I think that photographers, who offer to sleep with them just because to get a job are simply unprofessional pigs. Period.

May 24 12 02:50 am Link

Model

MartaBrixton

Sirensong wrote:
This..will..not..end..well.

Why?

May 24 12 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

During a shoot, I'm focused on the shoot. If I allowed myself to be distracted in that way, it would show in the quality of the images. I have a reputation to uphold.

(edit) I did date a few models in a previous life (1970's). But during a shoot, I was still focused on the shoot. There are just too many things a photographer has to keep in mind, watch for, be aware of, etc.

May 24 12 02:55 am Link

Model

Mayflower

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

I also sleep with one smile He is my boyfriend though.

I don't think models and photographers should interact in such a way unless they are going out

May 24 12 02:57 am Link

Model

Lanna_

Seattle, Washington, US

MartaBrixton wrote:
Hi there!

I'm asking because once I had a paid shoot for a calendar and photographer suggested that I should sleep with him after the shoot. I felt really offended, cursed him badly and left. After that he sent me an email saying that I don't know the industry and I won't achieve anything, I'm just a kid and it's not for me, he wanted to promote me but I act like a virgin and also he said all models that he promoted slept with him and they are big now. I didn't get pictures and money, was really pissed off because I had to travel far and he treated me like a hoe. That made me think- is it really that common? Because I consider it as prostitution (sleeping with phtographer to get paid) so it's sad what women can do for doe.

From the other hand- I had a shoot with a really cute and hot photographer and I was really horny because he was sooo sexy and the way he was looking at me was just tooo much! So I wanted to see him again one day and go for a drink but then he said he has a wife so obviously didn't happen tongue

Photographers- do you ever get horny during a shoot? You have seen sooo many beautiful women so probably not, just asking anyway.

No. 

Not directly. 

Also no.

Not among professionals.  (Unless you count Terry Richardson, but I think we can all agree that he doesn't display professional behavior.)

Honestly, it sounds like you ran into a disgusting, unethical, scumbag creeper.  That was highly inappropriate and if you found him on MM you should report him. 

I'm also not sure what your shooting agreement was but it's recommended to get payment agreed upon beforehand, in writing if possible. 

I'm no fashion model poised on the brink of stardom, so I can't say with certainty, but I think you can achieve things in the industry without sleeping with people.  And unless he was Terry Richardson, I highly, highly, highly doubt that anyone he's conned into sleeping with him has gone off and become "big". 

Avoid this guy like the plague.  There are some horror stories here and there, but for the most part people aren't douchebags.  I'm sorry you had this experience. 

And it's your own personal business, but I'd advise against hitting on the photographers, even if they are cute.  I like to try and keep work and my personal life separate.  Simpler that way.  (There are the rare few that meet a spouse via shooting, but those are rare!)

May 24 12 02:58 am Link

Photographer

ammodphoto

Troy, Missouri, US

I can think of several terms for the person who took pictures of you. None of which include photographer, all of which include unprofessional.

By not buying into his B.S. you show you are the professional.

As for the second part of your question. Yes, I have been turned on during a photo shoot. However even though I am not a “professional” photographer I do believe in behaving professionally. If a model asked me if I wanted to get together sometime and I liked her I probably would, but she would have to make the first move, just because of the circumstances.

Just my opinion and beliefs.

May 24 12 03:04 am Link

Model

MartaBrixton

Lanna Barrones wrote:
Honestly, it sounds like you ran into a disgusting, unethical, scumbag creeper.  That was highly inappropriate and if you found him on MM you should report him. 

I'm also not sure what your shooting agreement was but it's recommended to get payment agreed upon beforehand, in writing if possible. 

I'm no fashion model poised on the brink of stardom, so I can't say with certainty, but I think you can achieve things in the industry without sleeping with people.  And unless he was Terry Richardson, I highly, highly, highly doubt that anyone he's conned into sleeping with him has gone off and become "big". 

Avoid this guy like the plague.  There are some horror stories here and there, but for the most part people aren't douchebags.  I'm sorry you had this experience. 

And it's your own personal business, but I'd advise against hitting on the photographers, even if they are cute.  I like to try and keep work and my personal life separate.  Simpler that way.  (There are the rare few that meet a spouse via shooting, but those are rare!)

After that I didn't want any paid shoots because I thought they will ask me to sleep with them so I refused many offers. Now I think I can do it because not everybody is like him but I don't get any offers anymore big_smile

What if it's just a TFP shoot? You still wouldn't advice? Because you working together but obviously there is no money out of it, so it's like you do but you don't.

May 24 12 03:10 am Link

Model

lucystarr

Holmfirth-Honley, England, United Kingdom

Babe this is ABSOULUTLY NOT the way this industry works and you should name and shame the creep so other maybe not so head strong girls dont fall in to his trap. That is vile behaviour and please dont let it put you off cos for every creep there are 100 proffesional and considerate togs out there.
Sorry you had to experiance this seedy side to an otherwise fun empowering and profitable industry.
Good luck xxxxxx

May 24 12 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Corey Hayes Photography

New York, New York, US

That is in no way common. He was extremely unprofessional as well as a liar. Photography is like any other profession and if you nano imagine it happening in an office it shouldn't happen in a studio.

And if you are turned on by a photographer, well you are human and feelings are feelings, but don't make acting on it a practice. That might cost you jobs in the future.

May 24 12 03:21 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

It's not me, honest!

May 24 12 03:23 am Link

Model

MartaBrixton

lucystarr wrote:
Babe this is ABSOULUTLY NOT the way this industry works and you should name and shame the creep so other maybe not so head strong girls dont fall in to his trap. That is vile behaviour and please dont let it put you off cos for every creep there are 100 proffesional and considerate togs out there.
Sorry you had to experiance this seedy side to an otherwise fun empowering and profitable industry.
Good luck xxxxxx

Thank you smile

That happened in Poland, I was young (about 16!!!) and not really experienced, so I didn't know what to do, I didn't report it anywhere but now I know I should have done this.

Also, this guy said I have to change my swim suits in front of him because that's what models have to do normally so he is trying to "help" me and teach me how to be a real model. I said I won't do it. The whole shoot was a joke I was feeling really uncomfortable and he was making comments about my weight all the time (I wasn't fat at that time). But apart of that all my photographers vere really nice and proffesional.

May 24 12 03:28 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

As in any industry, relationships between co-workers sometimes occur. If it's a spontaneous thing and all parties feel the same way then it's nothing to be worried about. Many famous photographers over the yeas have been married to models they first met at a photo shoot.

However, that said, the guy described in the OP sounds like a typical sleazebag hoping to get lucky by offering to make models 'famous' in return for sexual favours. A well publicised example of this here in the UK just last year was Lee Cropper who assaulted and indecently propositioned multiple models, including some he found via MM, and is now in jail for it.

Marta, if the guy in question is currently on MM then please report him using the CAM function here:-

http://www.ripoffreport.com

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

May 24 12 03:34 am Link

Model

MartaBrixton

B R U N E S C I wrote:
As in any industry, relationships between co-workers sometimes occur. If it's a spontaneous thing and all parties feel the same way then it's nothing to be worried about. Many famous photographers over the yeas have been married to models they first met at a photo shoot.

However, that said, the guy described in the OP sounds like a typical sleazebag hoping to get lucky by offering to make models 'famous' in return for sexual favours. A well publicised example of this here in the UK just last year was Lee Cropper who assaulted and indecently propositioned multiple models, including some he found via MM, and is now in jail for it.

Marta, if the guy in question is currently on MM then please report him using the CAM function here:-

http://www.ripoffreport.com

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

He isn't, it was in Poland, long time ago smile I was 16 and he was old. But his pictures were amazing tho.

May 24 12 03:43 am Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MartaBrixton wrote:
Hi there!

This thread will have all kinds of reactions and attacks. There are people the feel there is some sort of professional line that should never be crossed. I believe what two adults consensually do between each other is no one's damn business but their own.

I live life with passion and do not make ridiculous rules to restrict the experiences I can have in my life that I might desire. And those that feel differently can live their life how the choose and I'll live mine the way I choose.

That being said I believe that you should always treat others with respect and that the work comes first. What the photographer did in your first example was totally out of line, disrespectful and unprofessional and completely unacceptable.

In the second example if thy guy was not married and you both wanted to have sex, date, etc... I see no problem with it at all. I have a rule I never hit on a model when I'm shooting her, if she want's to take it to the next level I assume she'll let me know.

I'm friends with some of my models and hang out with them, I have gone out with some, and in all cases it was mutual, no bargaining or propositioning, just natural chemistry and and generally they make the first move or drop innuendos or leave  an opening for me to ask them out, etc...

None of it has any bearing on who I choose to shoot or my work. The girl I have been seeing lately I have never even photographed. And girls I choose for photoshoots I choose for artistic purposes not for dating/sex. If the line is naturally and mutually crossed and goes that way after we get the work done that to me is no different that any other job, and most people hookup or date people they meet in work environments, regardless of company policies.

As far as feeling horny I have learned to channel and use that erotic/sexual energy to create my art or bring that energy up to higher energy centers. I learned how to do that when I used to do massage therapy, if you can massage a beautiful nude woman and stay professional and composed taking pictures is no big deal. smile

But I'm not one of those people that feel nothing and am only thinking about the f-stop or lighting. I'm not that technical. I'm more passion driven. More like a state of Zen with less thought but with feeling, desire and passion all channeled into capturing the perfect shot. It' very hard to explain, but I have had people comment on certain photos saying they could feel it too.

I read a lot of photographers say it would be distracting. I personally feel my images are as good or better the more chemistry/sexual tension/connection/attraction there is because once again I channel that energy into my work. I guess we all have different creative processes.

May 24 12 03:56 am Link

Model

Dawn-Marie94

Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Oh yeah,Iv'e been offered to travel all over the United States if I would "Hang Out" with them....lol

Also my first two photo shoots they wanted to sleep with me....It's really quite awful...Make it so hard to trust sad

May 24 12 03:57 am Link

Photographer

Collaborative Arts

Sunbury, Victoria, Australia

MartaBrixton wrote:
Hi there!

Horny?
No definitely not, there's no time for that kind of thinking.  For me working a shoot is about planning ahead at every stage while maintaining open communication with the model. Sure it can involve a lot of fun and giggles at times, but I believe there's a line that must not be crossed while working.
There have been times when drinks after a job were called for, but only if it's a mutual thing.
This guy you've described sounds like an unprofessional turd and should be exposed for who and what he is, for it's predators like this that give photographers a bad name in general.

May 24 12 03:59 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

A photographer who mixes business with pleasure will fail at both.

May 24 12 04:11 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

hbutz New York wrote:

You mean, like Terry Richardson? big_smile

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

May 24 12 04:15 am Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

B R U N E S C I wrote:
You mean, like Terry Richardson? big_smile

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

+1 I love how people like to create rules for others. The best thing about Terry is that he lives life on his own terms and is successful!

Just because you can't do it successfully does not mean it's can't be done, only that YOU can't do it.

May 24 12 04:16 am Link

Photographer

Edge2Edge Photo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

MartaBrixton wrote:
Hi there!

Sure, every model should sleep with their photographer.  But, then again, as I'm getting older, sleep usually means SLEEP smile

In all seriousness, I have a young daughter who someday may wish to model.  I hope this never happens to her because, if it does, they'll need to make room for me in the state prison.

I agree with Illustrative Arts (in the post above): the photographer needs to be exposed for the garbage that he is.

May 24 12 04:19 am Link

Photographer

L Bass

Nacogdoches, Texas, US

When I was in my early/mid 20's and began experimenting with nude photography, it was common for me to get 'excited' when things got heated in front of my camera. That was called 'testosterone.' Those were usually girls that I was already sleeping with anyway, and had asked to pose nude so I could practice my nude photography techniques.

When I was in my 30's, it was less common. I learned that the best way for me to deal with it was to think of a baseball game and NOT what was in front of my camera. It worked pretty well for me but in a lot of cases, the lack of interest and contact with the model showed up in the shots.

By the time I reached my 40's, I had photographed so many nude girls that it was a rare case when I would think of anything other than making sure the exposure was correct and making the model look her best.

Now that I'm in my 50's, when a girl exposes herself in front of my camera, I have only one thing on my mind... taking the perfect picture.

To sum it up: In my 20's, I only had one thing on my mind when I saw a nude female. (Hint: it involved what was in my pants) In my 50's, I only have one thing on my mind when I see a nude female. (Hint: it involves what is in my camera bag) That 'one' thing is vastly different these days. I think it all has to do with age, experience and ultimately... professionalism.

May 24 12 04:24 am Link

Model

KaliChaos

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

MartaBrixton wrote:
Hi there!

I'm sorry, but no way in hell!
You can make it whether you're getting it off with a photographer or not... and if you are it shouldn't be to promote yourself. You're a model not a prostitute, don't listen to him!

I don't think it's common to sleep with a photographer, I've never done it and to be honest don't plan on it, but I like to keep things professional... Thankfully all of the male photographers I have worked with have been real gentlemen and have never crossed any boundaries! It's just a shame that some guys have to give them all a bad name hmm

All my best,
Kayz

May 24 12 04:25 am Link

Model

Axioma

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

MartaBrixton wrote:
Hi there!

About your first story:
Sexual harassment should not be tolerated on any work floor!

About your second:
I find it quite inappropriate to be flirting/being aroused on set. You're a model, models act what they're supposed to be portraying.

And to answer your question:
I met my current boyfriend 4 years ago on a quick professional shoot. 3 years ago I bumped into him again and we started dating, unrelated to modeling/photography.

I've gone through 2 instances of sexual harrasment, the first when I was very inexperienced and new, the second last year, after which I ended the shoot per direct. However it's always a grey area, sometimes it could be regarded as that, while you attritube it to just clashing personalities for instance.

No, never.

It happens at every professional level, but shouldn't be tolerated imo.

May 24 12 04:28 am Link

Photographer

CSP Media

Altamonte Springs, Florida, US

I have a reputation for treating all models with respect, and I aim to keep that reputation.  I have a friendly, relaxed demeanor on the set, which helps the models relax and enjoy the experience, but I also maintain a professional attitude, which means no vulgarity, no alcohol, and a general hands-off policy.  On the rare occasion that I need to adjust something on the model's wardrobe or touch the model in any way, I always ask permission first.  I've never been solicited by a model, nor have I ever solicited one.  I've worked diligently to earn the trust of the models I work with.  During a shoot, I'm concentrating too heavily on the myriad of details to be aroused.  After the shoot, however, is a different matter.  I must confess to fantasizing about being seduced.

May 24 12 04:30 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

In the last 2 weeks I've seen many modeling agencies. Hundreds of models all working. Do you think their agents will tell them you need to sleep with the clients or photographers for a calendar to get the job?

Not happening.

What happens between you and a photographer is between consenting adults, there are no rules. The request by this awful person should most definitely not be agreed to. I'd say further it by doing things like posting here and everywhere you can to see their plan is crushed and they get out of photography before going to jail.

Yet it happens in many fields.

May 24 12 04:36 am Link

Photographer

PR Zone

Friend of mine, photographer, made the 'mistake' of accepting a model's advances.
He soon woke up to the 'wrongness' of the situation when she told him that she now expected all of her retouching and prints for free :-)
Moral?
If you're both single adults, it's up to you...  but beware of the expectation you will create

May 24 12 04:43 am Link

Model

MartaBrixton

PR Zone wrote:
Friend of mine, photographer, made the 'mistake' of accepting a model's advances.
He soon woke up to the 'wrongness' of the situation when she told him that she now expected all of her retouching and prints for free :-)
Moral?
If you're both single adults, it's up to you...  but beware of the expectation you will create

I only do TFP now so no expectations.
I can't believe she done this, its just sooo wrong...

May 24 12 04:47 am Link

Photographer

My Digital Eye

hbutz New York wrote:

Watched a documentary on Lee Miller yesterday and as a model she seemed to have slept with the majority of her photographers, as a photographer, she seemed to have slept with most of her photographer friends and the rest of Europe.

The movement from photography in the surrealist era to now has shifted a bit, but people haven't evolved quite as much.

Japanese photographer Araki is known to have slept with the majority of his sitters and so on.

Regardless of the industry, sleeping your way to the top is common knowledge and many of those people on either end of the argument have been successful.

May 24 12 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Erick Prince

Austin, Texas, US

Lets not completely let the OP off the hook here. If the photographer that propositioned her is wrong and unprofessional she was/is as well had the guy she approached wasn't married. The question is would she have slept with him had he propositioned. See many post condemning him as there should be, but not many calling her out.

May 24 12 04:56 am Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

MartaBrixton wrote:
Hi there!

It does not matter if the request for sex in exchange for networking fast track to fame and fortune (aka the "casting couch") is "standard" in the industry (it's not).  You did the right thing because you stuck to your principles. If you are to be famous and successful you want to do it on your terms otherwise when you arrive at the top it will be an empty feeling of accomplishment because you compromise what makes the core of who you are. Integrity matters.

With that said, if you want to have sex with people you work with, collaborate with  then use your best judgement. I personally think that the percentages that this works out to be a good thing for you are very low and from a reputation standpoint, you begin to wonder if people are hiring you for being a good Model or if they think you are an easy mark to score with (maybe both). Again, no judgment on those that are open to hooking up but personally, I think the chance are that it will hurt you in the long term more than it can help you.

As for being horny at shoots, it happens. It's biological if you are attracted to their look, especially if you have someone that has more to offer then just being pretty. To me the mark of a pro is how they handle that so that the focus of the shoot remains primarily on producing good results. I'm suspect of Photographer that shoots Models and says that it's never happened. I think they are in a very small minority. Again it's how you handle those feelings. It's no different that how you handle sexual attraction in other realms of life. You just have to be true to your personal commitment and maintain the integrity for yourself and the relationships that you care about.

May 24 12 05:05 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Every time I shoot I have to deal with this.

Maybe it's my fat roly poly hairy stomach, or my short height, or my age (51 is golden you know) , maybe it's that face only a mother can love.

Regardless, it might be my putrid smell, but those damn models won't stop hitting on me.

All I want is nice pictures, and they just want to get me in a compromising position.

I have not broken down, I have not slept with any of them, no matter how hard they try. I have my dignity you know.

Seriously though? Model -> photographer     never Woman -> Man for me.. Been that way for over 28 years.

May 24 12 05:12 am Link

Photographer

K Photographic Dreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

MartaBrixton wrote:

Why?

Sleeping with someone is based on whatever happens, I suppose - but sleeping with them as a condition of employment won't end well. Even if they can get you work - and despite the comments on here, it's often that person can - you won't be respected, because all the casting people will know his/her initiation processes, which will mean you're simply the flavour of the moment.

Terry Richardson is not by any means uncommon - he's simply the most talked about, but the end point's still the same : if somehow it happened because - as you said - you found whomever attractive and they did likewise and etc - it happens, but unless you're looking to be passed around from set to set and from photographer to designer to agent to - what, reporter? - then become noticed for your talent and look.

May 24 12 05:13 am Link

Photographer

K Photographic Dreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

My Digital Eye wrote:

Watched a documentary on Lee Miller yesterday and as a model she seemed to have slept with the majority of her photographers, as a photographer, she seemed to have slept with most of her photographer friends and the rest of Europe.

The movement from photography in the surrealist era to now has shifted a bit, but people haven't evolved quite as much.

Japanese photographer Araki is known to have slept with the majority of his sitters and so on.

Regardless of the industry, sleeping your way to the top is common knowledge and many of those people on either end of the argument have been successful.

I didn't even read yours before replying - but I'm glad you have an understanding of how it really is. It's funny how people think it doesn't happen - as though there aren't people who use their influence to get what they want in life, and even more so in a sex driven industry, like entertainment (I'm including all of the various branches, because it happens in them all).

Yes, she might actually get work, and build a career...but will she have the means to do it as the 5% who manage to be successful do, or will she fall to the wayside as does the 95%? I can tell you, from first notice, that the 5% wouldn't ask, and they wouldn't tell - they would assess in a business sense the person making the indecent proposal and make the call, themselves.

The ones who will sleep their way up won't ask the general consensus, by virtue of the question.

May 24 12 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Dimitrio

Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

I am certain that in some sectors of every industry, people have slept their way to promotions. 

I think that people are adults and when "people" work closely together, sometimes they become attracted to each other, and often times that attraction lead to intimacy.

The guy spoken about by the OP is a bold and audacious character, and that may be the norm in his locale, i cannot say.  I am certain though that you aren't obligated to oblige the request.

The question is do you want to move higher of your own merit or do you want a fast track to the top and have a reputation as the easy one.

To answer the question, Yes i have been attracted to some of my models, but have never propositioned any.

On the flip side, i have been propositioned by a couple.

May 24 12 05:45 am Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Sometimes some "out of town" models do a few tests and then take their pick and make phone calls a day or two later, I know that, but what people do on holiday is their business and the approach comes outside of the workplace, so it's entirely professional perhaps.

May 24 12 06:00 am Link

Photographer

devpics

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

erm, what's age of consent in Poland ??  He'd have been put in the nick for trying it here

May 24 12 06:04 am Link

Photographer

Matt Schmidt Photo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

MartaBrixton wrote:
Hi there!

. . . we have some for your too . . .

May 24 12 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

There are going to be people in ANY industry willing to take advantage of a given situation.

Its going to be completely up to you as to do what they're asking or not &/or "doing something about it" (however that's defined).

May 24 12 06:11 am Link