Forums > Critique > I will assess your portfolio's dollar value

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Anne Miles wrote:

I'd like to know your opinion.  Thank you.

In a few hours I will look at you with my laser beam eyes.

Jul 15 12 03:49 pm Link

Model

Lexxy

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

This is fantastic, my favorite critique game so far.

Please choose me :]

Jul 15 12 03:52 pm Link

Model

KristianaRose

Denver, Colorado, US

I'm in.

Jul 15 12 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Bureau Form Guild

Scranton, Pennsylvania, US

Okay...fine go for it....lol. Will I be drinking soup squeezed from a leather belt? You add dark humor to your crits which eases the pain of the reality.

Jul 15 12 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Lexxy Nichelle wrote:

Thank you.. Of course, I will look. At some time tonight. I have to do a Lifestyle plan shoot and send it to La model. And I need also to work out. Being fat is a capital crime in L.A. I don't want to be arrested for being fat.

Jul 15 12 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

KristianaRose wrote:
I'm in.

As in previous post, some time, tonight, Pacific Time.

Jul 15 12 04:02 pm Link

Model

The Exotic Jewel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Put me on list too smile

Jul 15 12 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Dee-Foto

New York, New York, US

Amazing critique. You're right of course on so many levels. I thank you immensely. I look forward to working harder than ever to correct my flaws, and I hope you can continue to help me walk in the right direction.

Jul 15 12 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Angelica Nicolle

Irvine, California, US

I'll give this a shot.

Jul 15 12 05:09 pm Link

Model

Jillian Monica

Kingston, Pennsylvania, US

I would like your opinion please. This is fun!!  : )

Jul 15 12 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Jillian Monica wrote:

I will. I may not get it to it, tonight. It may be tomorrow night.

Jul 15 12 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Jay Dee-Foto wrote:
Amazing critique. You're right of course on so many levels. I thank you immensely. I look forward to working harder than ever to correct my flaws, and I hope you can continue to help me walk in the right direction.

What a gracious reply and I do believe you're on the path to greatness.

Jul 15 12 06:59 pm Link

Model

Landy

La Crosse, Wisconsin, US

Me please + thank you

Jul 15 12 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Anne Miles wrote:

I'd like to know your opinion.  Thank you.

First, you have a great face. It's a strong selling point. You MM portfolio doesn't give good full-length shoots, displaying leg to torso proportions. Long legs are a big plus.

I saw no credits. You're signed with an agency but they must have a better comp and portfolio of you to present than what you're showing on your website. I hope.

I don't like the link to your resume. What's it got to do with lifestyle and fitness and booking you?

You put down fashion and glamour on MM. You've yet to put up images that would suggest a strong fashion and/or glamour range but clearly it's early in the gloaming. I'm not sure that you want to do glamour. I didn't feel it.

If you're backup plan is nudes maybe you'll rock out of the gate but I think you would like to do fitness and lifestyle so you need more shots that sell you in those arenas.

For an agency model, overall, I found the presentation weak, in images. I liked your slideshow on your website. It ran fast but it didn't dazzle this dinosaur into an awe of mammalian model wowness. "I think I've seen better fashion displays by pterodacyls as they do know how to soar," I rumbled, and a building fell.

Your strongest work is closeup. When working with others you blend but don't power the shot. 

I don't think you should pay a photographer. First map out your most likely areas of success and assemble strong images. Pay attention to full-length and master poses that show off your modelling ability and beauty. Study fitness images to inspire you.

Write to a photographer that can do what you need and do more. Let him arrange MUA. If you have to pony in for the MUA do so. You should get a four-look shoot that rocks as I believe you're serious but it's very early in the gloaming. But first really think about the images you need.

You really need some full-length brilliance in there.

$5000 Part-timer.  It's great-that-you're-keeping your day job-award. You get model work for some startup fitness operation and some GWC camera shots but at this stage unless you do nudes this is a brutal city if you don't have the portfolio that causes car crashes when unveiled.

Jul 15 12 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Lexxy Nichelle wrote:

If you're going to lead with six images, you've got to lead. I should have been on the floor, feeling like I was Joe Jersey Walcott in his thirteenth round with Rocky Marciano, and I am floating through this fight we call life and nothing can stop me and then wow-Suzy Q (Marciano's right hand) and I am knocked out cold, not by a fist but by you.

This should have happened because you led with nudes and I'm a male dinosaur and I was already to transform into a panting St. Bernard with brandy flask, because some dogs know how to party (I know, the monks stop breeding the dogs, sad!), but instead I stood up in full T-Rex lizardry and knocked off the roof of my apartment and went: "Where are the pterodactyls, as least they fly when they are nude."

Some guidelines for nude presentations of yourself. The photographer must be committed to making rocking shots and so must you. It's not enough to be nude. You have to sell the image with your eyes, your expression, your pose, so if it's an art nude that is projected by you and the photographer onto the final image.

Make sure that your body is toned and you should have some full-length shots. If you have concealer for that huge tattoo bring it to shoots so it can be covered if necessary.

It's clear you would like to do nude work and there's money out there for you. Reshoot the six images with a photographer who has a track record of producing great nudes. To develop your eye, look up great art nude on the Internet and just study for hours. Really get this down.

It's good that your committed to displaying yourself so. But since it's really all about you the images have to be powerful. Very powerful if you want to make lots of money. I am going to rate the portfolio as is, not for potential:

$2000.  Nude-is-sometimes-not-easy-award. We like nudes in L.A. Just bring some good ones, okay?

Jul 15 12 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

KristianaRose wrote:
I'm in.

I went to your agency because I wanted to see how they displayed you but this was not an easy task. Perhaps linking to your page there would be good? 

I therefore just looked at your MM portfolio. There are nice shots in there that show llamaling savy. On occasion your beauty rocks. There's a series of shots that should have killed: you're displaying your legs but it doesn't crank. Your portfolio is uneven in a way I would not expect for an "agency llama". Your agency struck me as small and a bit of player in Denver but not of great account elsewhere. You're in a regional backwater in the fashion sense? I looked a bit at what there llamas had done and went: "Is Denver hiding fashion and where? Under the bed, in the Rockies? Where?"

To get GWCs to really pony up, I think the art nude approach is necessary but may conflict with your fashion aspirations. High fashion. Hmmm.

You could certainly make money on the GWC circuit around this nation and engage some serious art/nude and some serious fashion shooters. I am not knocking enthusiasts, it's just as you know difficult to get high fashion and things like that from hobbyists. It's not impossible just more difficult than with fashion pros or those who have fashion ambition and knowledge and are on a quest for photographic magic.

As said, a lot of images I liked but I think you can prune. It's a good exercise in figuring out classic poses/S curves and expressions and what angles work for you. I think it's necessary if you have high fashion aspirations.

$40,000 GOOD:you're good, but we are flooded with good and how can you become great is the burning economic question.

Jul 15 12 08:13 pm Link

Model

Southern Gent

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Fire away! Interesting thread.

Jul 15 12 08:19 pm Link

Model

Lexxy

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Haha, second shoot I've ever done so oh well.
Thanks anyway

LA StarShooter wrote:

If you're going to lead with six images, you've got to lead. I should have been on the floor, feeling like I was Joe Jersey Walcott in his thirteenth round with Rocky Marciano, and I am floating through this fight we call life and nothing can stop me and then wow-Suzy Q (Marciano's right hand) and I am knocked out cold, not by a fist but by you.

This should have happened because you led with nudes and I'm a male dinosaur and I was already to transform into a panting St. Bernard with brandy flask, because some dogs know how to party (I know, the monks stop breeding the dogs, sad!), but instead I stood up in full T-Rex lizardry and knocked off the roof of my apartment and went: "Where are the pterodactyls, as least they fly when they are nude."

Some guidelines for nude presentations of yourself. The photographer must be committed to making rocking shots and so must you. It's not enough to be nude. You have to sell the image with your eyes, your expression, your pose, so if it's an art nude that is projected by you and the photographer onto the final image.

Make sure that your body is toned and you should have some full-length shots. If you have concealer for that huge tattoo bring it to shoots so it can be covered if necessary.

It's clear you would like to do nude work and there's money out there for you. Reshoot the six images with a photographer who has a track record of producing great nudes. To develop your eye, look up great art nude on the Internet and just study for hours. Really get this down.

It's good that your committed to displaying yourself so. But since it's really all about you the images have to be powerful. Very powerful if you want to make lots of money. I am going to rate the portfolio as is, not for potential:

$2000.  Nude-is-sometimes-not-easy-award. We like nudes in L.A. Just bring some good ones, okay?

Jul 15 12 08:25 pm Link

Model

Emma K

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

it'll be nice to hear an opinion, so what's yours?

Jul 15 12 08:32 pm Link

Model

Abby Hawkins

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Haha sounds good!

Jul 15 12 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Antediluvian Design wrote:
Okay...fine go for it....lol. Will I be drinking soup squeezed from a leather belt? You add dark humor to your crits which eases the pain of the reality.

I was confused going to your website. Not that it was tumblr but rather that you had a mix of your images with those of others. Very distracting for a model and very confusing for a model. In one of your casting calls you put agency represented photographer, if I recall correctly. I sometimes quote Margaret Thatcher because she could be so succient: "No, No, No."

I went to your Portfolio on MM. In one casting call you invited models to look and see that you needed edge. Okay, that's honest but not really focused.

The lack of focus is killing you. It's like you're out of your comfort zone, you're now dealing with live people,  and sometimes the model is just taking over and she doesn't know what she's doing and you get photographic anarchy.

You shot in Venice, California and you were maybe doing lifestyle and some of the angles, oh where is Christmas when I need it, are just really badly composed by you, as if you're following an unguided missile of a confused model missing her target and you're like some fast-moving photographic sheep. You're just following. In one of the shots you can see the challenge at shooting at Venice Beach. It's difficult to knock out the harsh highlights on the face and I can see them in one shot but it's a challenge to shoot there in the height of the sun. Wow. I would suggest considering a neutral density filter for such moments.

Your blonde should have stopped traffic. Instead I wanted to move on and this is due to how confused you are. Another model shot with you, a showstopping one, and she's good but the pose and angle and the composition don't show you off. She's like an unsinkable ship, that model, who can survive all photographers. She may dance on your photographic grave if you keep this level of confusion, of lack of direction.

To achieve greatness a lot of compositional study is needed and some imagination.

This is harsh but how can you reach the stars if you think you're in a rocket launcher and it is really a crane that you're on.

$1000 Stop doing crack and meth. It means that you may have one really good shot in that portfolio, but, baby, you're in trouble.  Your car is about to get repossessed. See, sleeping in your car is not fun when they are towing you away. Put the pipe down!

Jul 15 12 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Burning Paper Hearts

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I would love to know if your still going at this point smile

Jul 15 12 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Tina Marie Desaro wrote:
Put me on list too smile

I would like if on MM if you would put the large number of pics in category folders.  87 photos is  a lot.

Let's start with the good: You know who you are. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES. It's so important to a have direction and a strong sense of your strengths. You started out in the promotional arena rather strongly and this has served you well, rather than hindered you. You now promote yourself and rather well. You greet people on your website in apparently your own voice. The implied portfolio is good, not great, but you offer more if one becomes a member. You're cunning. Very, very smart.

I like on your MM profile page how you let images roll. Very nice. I saw a shot of you in black hair, a headshot and I went wow!  That's smart to do that.

You would do well here because you know how to work the GWC market and the serious photographer and the art nude. You may have 5-10 years left so you really need to book like crazy.  I didn't go wild over a lot of your photos but you present yourself well and so you deserve your own ranking:

$75,000 You-may-be-a-Goldmine-in-disguise. You're a promotional genius. You, of course make more than the $75,000. It's probably what you spend on shoes as you partly unveil yourself around the nation. You're a marketing genius, maximizing what you have. Take good care of your skin. Don't burn it into leather or the moolah lights will quickly dim.

Jul 15 12 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Cinema Photography

Boulder, Colorado, US

I'm very curious, have a go at me when time allows

Jul 15 12 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Radiant Effect wrote:
I'll give this a shot.

You put out a casting call for llamas to build your portfolio and also for photographers to help you learn. On your facebook page you list a number with professional services. You portfolio is like a snapshot album taken by a confused tourist just passing through here. Come on.

More is involved in mastering photography than paying for a college course. Much more. A great passion for image must devour your hours. And if it is commercial work you seek you should know the masters. . . Hmmm? 

I didn't feel you were totally inept but I didn't feel a hint of mastery. Not a banging image.

If you go to the beach, when I look at the photograph taken there, with the llama I should feel at the very least like going to the beach. You didn't sell the ocean and the llama, you didn't project whatever was beautiful about her onto that image. Technique? There are many. But it's the passion for the image that must be your guiding star. Passion.

Your rating may seem harsh but you list professional services on facebook but ask for coaching by photographers here, and so if you're going to shoot great llamas you need to develop fast.

At this stage you don't need a coach, you need life support. Ready?

$500 Homeless-stop-begging award. It means that your work would have a tough time doing well here and you might become homeless. Come on, you're homeless, admit it.

You can do much better than this.

Jul 15 12 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Square Pixel LLC wrote:
I would love to know if your still going at this point smile

I am but it will be tomorrow night when critical dark gallows humour returns and with laser beam eyes.

Jul 15 12 09:09 pm Link

Model

The Exotic Jewel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

LA StarShooter wrote:

I would like if on MM if you would put the large number of pics in category folders.  87 photos is  a lot.

Let's start with the good: You know who you are. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES. It's so important to a have direction and a strong sense of your strengths. You started out in the promotional arena rather strongly and this has served you well, rather than hindered you. You now promote yourself and rather well. You greet people on your website in apparently your own voice. The implied portfolio is good, not great, but you offer more if one becomes a member. You're cunning. Very, very smart.

I like on your MM profile page how you let images roll. Very nice. I saw a shot of you in black hair, a headshot and I went wow!  That's smart to do that.

You would do well here because you know how to work the GWC market and the serious photographer and the art nude. You may have 5-10 years left so you really need to book like crazy.  I didn't go wild over a lot of your photos but you present yourself well and so you deserve your own ranking:

$75,000 You-may-be-a-Goldmine-in-disguise. You're a promotional genius. You, of course make more than the $75,000. It's probably what you spend on shoes as you partly unveil yourself around the nation. You're a marketing genius, maximizing what you have. Take good care of your skin. Don't burn it into leather or the moolah lights will quickly dim.

Thanks and I just love to do what I do so thats important too smile.

Jul 15 12 09:10 pm Link

Model

Anne Miles

San Francisco, California, US

Thank you for your critique.

I, unfortunately, don't have long legs.  Due to that, I've actually been considering quitting modeling for some time--I've been on the edge.  I truly enjoy it and find it interesting, challenging, and lots of fun, but I wonder if what I don't have is debilitating. 

My back-up plan, is definitely not shooting nudes, as I am actually a math/business major in college, and yearn to be a CFA at a large-scale company that deals with the investment world. 

If I did get any full-scale shots in my port, do you think I could continue down this road, or would you suggest I quit and turn around?

Jul 15 12 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Anne Miles wrote:
Thank you for your critique.

I, unfortunately, don't have long legs.  Due to that, I've actually been considering quitting modeling for some time--I've been on the edge.  I truly enjoy it and find it interesting, challenging, and lots of fun, but I wonder if what I don't have is debilitating. 

My back-up plan, is definitely not shooting nudes, as I am actually a math/business major in college, and yearn to be a CFA at a large-scale company that deals with the investment world. 

If I did get any full-scale shots in my port, do you think I could continue down this road, or would you suggest I quit and turn around?

Your best asset is your face and it is beautiful. I can't tell if you should continue without seeing some photos of you shot so that your leg length is well-displayed. You don't have to be a gazelle but for print and other opportunities, it's important that your legs stand out. I'm question the "debilitating" usage. You could wonder if you're quite of elite petite model status? if not you could still be a breaker-of-hearts. That does work around build and look. Head and shoulders and I am sold. I zeroed in on the full-length because you just don't have those nailed. Try this: have someone take shots and be bold and brave and put them up and email me, if you like. I'll give you my honest reaction. You might sell me. It's just you don't have them now and you have been doubting yourself. Which is okay. That's normal to have a crisis of confidence, particularly when it comes to how you look. Male models go through the same thing. Sometimes under the shimmering bulk of muscle is an anxious and unsure being, that resembles more a scare child than a man.

Posting those could be restorative. After all, you have an agency and maybe, maybe, you have a future. Get pumped up and put up fitness shots in shorts, in profile and extend your legs. And maybe you'll rock, particularly if you have any dance background. . I might be ready to bet on you?

Jul 15 12 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Rebecca Loren Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Would love it. Thanks!

Jul 15 12 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Angelica Nicolle

Irvine, California, US

Harsh, but very true. I'll take your crit and do something about it. I'll have to change the facebook listing for my page, haha. Hopefully, if you ever critique me again it'll show an improvement. Thank you though!

LA StarShooter wrote:
You put out a casting call for models to build your portfolio and also for photographers to help you learn. On your facebook page you list a number with professional services. You portfolio is like a snapshot album taken by a confused tourist just passing through here. Come on.

More is involved in mastering photography than paying for a college course. Much more. A great passion for image must devour your hours. And if it is commercial work you seek you should know the masters. . . Hmmm? 

I didn't feel you were totally inept but I didn't feel a hint of mastery. Not a banging image.

If you go to the beach, when I look at the photograph taken there, with the model I should feel at the very least like going to the beach. You didn't sell the ocean and the model, you didn't project whatever was beautiful about her onto that image. Technique? There are many. But it's the passion for the image that must be your guiding star. Passion.

Your rating may seem harsh but you list professional services on facebook but ask for coaching by photographers here, and so if you're going to shoot great models you need to develop fast.

At this stage you don't need a coach, you need life support. Ready?

$500 Homeless-stop-begging award. It means that your work would have a tough time doing well here and you might become homeless. Come on, you're homeless, admit it.

You can do much better than this.

Jul 16 12 11:34 am Link

Model

Jillian Monica

Kingston, Pennsylvania, US

LA StarShooter wrote:

I will. I may not get it to it, tonight. It may be tomorrow night.

Thank you .....I just put up my first nude .....well it's topless.

Jul 16 12 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Vivendi Studio

Go ahead.

Jul 16 12 04:12 pm Link

Model

Sarah Love Thurston

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

And I

Jul 16 12 04:51 pm Link

Model

MissHsu

Cuijk, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Wondering how much i'm worth ...

Jul 16 12 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Jillian Monica wrote:

You're interested in fetish, glamour, and your portfolio trends more towards art nudes in its best moments.  I found the exhibititon of yourself neither bad nor good.

I don't think fashion will open its doors for you, not that you need it to do so.

One of the most important things when you step into the arena of modelling and no one is opening doors for you, is to know who you are and what is that you want. You've been involved in promotions? It's important to build bridges to you and thus you need a website. You can start off with something cheap it will still look good. 

You must promote yourself. Your business strategy should revolve around making photographers aware of your availability. You can travel the country. Your portfolio doesn't sing. You haven't really deeply considered how to pose and achieve iconic moments. If you body is to the object of art then you must consider yourself to be the artist of poses and expressions.

You could make a lot of money but that portfolio needs really great images. You need to know your angles and thus I do see commitment but I don't see excelllence.

Of course, you could blame the photographers but who choose who?

If you decide to go fetish and glamour do it with style and get a great wardrobe. Most photographers who will pay you can't budget even for MUA. Make sure you bring a makeup kit, a mirror, hairspray, the whole thing so you can rock the camera.

If you really want to bank, study the queens of art nudes, some are on this site. Look at glamour, and even fashion to draw from those areas of modelling that will make you standout. It's quite a commitment to be a nude model and you are very brave.

What would happen if you came to L.A.?

$5000 Part-timer.  It's great-that-you're-keeping your day job-award. You can pick up a  some art nude work but the big money will elude you until you really devote yourself to becoming great.

I think you can do much better than what I saw.

Jul 16 12 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Francis Vazquez

New York, New York, US

Super curious...

Jul 16 12 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Landy wrote:
Me please + thank you

The portfolio as is presents a body of work that does not compel. It's okay to have some snapshots, if it leads to a better understanding of what you look like but the few shots were you are starting to model feature you whipping hair and I am big fan of that-oops I accidentally punned my way towards the conclusion that sometimes it is physically difficult to achieve certain aspirations--but it has to look great. And it didn't make it. Your body in modelling terms is unremarkable and thus I see huge challenges. The photoshoot or two that you have been on shows committment but I am not a big fan of "I am beginner" excuses because you want to be professional, you want glory.

So, who are you? I couldn't really tell from that portfolio. 

This will be harsh but since you don't have natural advantages in beauty, you must think of what is realistic in modelling terms. What arena can you compete in?

How do you pose, and, what are the basic poses. Can you S-curve well? Do you know how to make you legs look at little longer when photographed?

Unless you commit with dedication and desire you'll stay at this level:

$500 per annum. Homeless-stop-begging award. It means that your work would have a tough time doing well here and you might become homeless. Come on, you're homeless, admit it.

Jul 16 12 08:02 pm Link

Model

Lilah Quinn

Caguas, Puerto Rico, US

ohhh i would love to know wink

Jul 16 12 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Mac Davis wrote:
Fire away! Interesting thread.

In too many images you’re face is dark and thus you’re reduced in couple shots, whether fantasy romance of demons and dark forces or two normal humans to being obscured. In one shot they made your chest dark so you can’t see the most impressive aspect of your physique, the massive pectoral plates of muscle. Your stomach wall is solid but you’re carrying fat around the obliques and I’m starting judge you against other models, fitness, as you come from the world of wrestling and it would seem a reasonable arena for you.

You do have a name from wrestling but I don’t think the body of work really projects well. Why? You’re so photoshopped and adorned with photoshop wings and so on that the unreality of it renders you unreal and not in a great way. Some of your poses rock, but for instance in one, you can’t see the face. I found this too much in your portfolio, the face is dark, the focus is on the face of the woman. In a playful photo it’s as if you’re both about to pull some fabric down but you can only see her face and one feels that you’re used as flesh prop to fill in the scene. This is the photographer(s) not you.

In one shot you present too much of the white of the eyes. It's where the pupils look right at the corner of the eye socket.

You have a range of expressions and working in wrestling may have helped train your face but I think you’re limited to this kind of fantasy photoshot/photoshop low-budget extravaganza, which you give your all.  You’re bulky and have nice proportions but you’re short for a male model. You’re 5 foot nine and some models in heels are slightly taller than you? 

You’re bold and available. You turn up on time. You have discipline. You have promotional skills. But the portfolio, I don't think will help you get fitness work or TV commercial work, which you would seem suited for, giving your physique.

You seem noble in looking after a sick relative.

Modelling is tough for men. Really brutal. If you came to L.A.?

You’d get work as a costumed character posing with tourists. You would be in a batman suit and it would be hot and you’d be sweating on Hollywood boulevard. Photoshoots would not happen much. Here and there a  good shot but nothing to land you commercial work. 

$10,000 Maybe you've-got-steam award. Still part-time but starting to occasionally dazzle. But can you afford new tires?. The roads are tough on cars here.

James Brown sang that it is a man’s world. Not in modeling it isn’t.  A man, unless gifted by the gods, is doing it for either love or vanity or both.

Jul 16 12 08:39 pm Link