Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Young and single Moms

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Recently I have encountered lot of teen single mother, why did they bring the child into this world while they are not capable of raising them.  Many of them have razor cut scars all over their arms and legs.   

Birth control is readily available for everyone, why didn't they seek this option.  I understand that many told me that how much they love their kid.  The kid changed their love.   Will they still love their kid when they become a teenager and no longer as cute as when they are 2 and 3 yrs old.  Will they have sufficient means to put them thru school and college?  The cycle continues. 

It is troublesome when so many children growing up in a dysfunctional family.  We, as a whole, will pay for it one way or another.  What should we do?  sad

Nov 12 12 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Well this should be fun

Nov 12 12 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Death panels, obviously.

Nov 12 12 02:10 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I don't encourage teenage pregnancy, but your post has some flaws.

Adults use birthcontrol and still get knocked up all the time.
Adults can be horrible parents too, or not
Teenage kids can be a pain in the ass sometimes, no matter how old the parent is
Most people can't afford to put their kids through college. Have you never heard of all the student loans out there?

I think teenagers shouldn't get pregnant for a couple reasons, but that doesn't automatically mean that when an adult gets a kid they are a good parent...

Nov 12 12 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

License to reproduce. 

You already need a license to do business or drive a car.  But any asshole can make as many babies as they like, for the rest of us to support over time.  Lovely. 

Intese screenings of psychological and financial well being should be done before the license is issued.

People may obviously have as much sex as they like.  They should'nt be allowed to reproduce indiscriminately.

Nov 12 12 02:12 pm Link

Model

JessieLeigh

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I blame MTV. Glamorizing teenage pregnancy and paying teenage moms to make tv shows so MTV casn make more money.

(Only partially joking)

Nov 12 12 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Andialu

San Pedro, California, US

Carlos Occidental wrote:
License to reproduce. 

You already need a license to do business or drive a car.  But any asshole can make as many babies as they like, for the rest of us to support over time.  Lovely. 

Intese screenings of psychological and financial well being should be done before the license is issued.

What if they pass the financial screening then get canned after conception? The whole license to reproduce idea is so absurd that it is laughable.

Nov 12 12 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Wildcat Photography

Valparaiso, Indiana, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:
Well this should be fun

+1

Sits down...puts popcorn into microwave!

Wildcat

Nov 12 12 02:15 pm Link

Model

JessieLeigh

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Carlos Occidental wrote:
License to reproduce. 

People may obviously have as much sex as they like.  They should be allowed to reproduce indiscriminately.

What happens to the babies that people without a license choose to have?

Nov 12 12 02:16 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Connor Photography wrote:
Recently I have encountered lot of teen single mother, why did they bring the child into this world while they are not capable of raising them.  Many of them have razor cut scars all over their arms and legs.   

Birth control is readily available for everyone, why didn't they seek this option.  I understand that many told me that how much they love their kid.  The kid changed their love.   Will they still love their kid when they become a teenager and no longer as cute as when they are 2 and 3 yrs old.  Will they have sufficient means to put them thru school and college?  The cycle continues. 

It is troublesome when so many children growing up in a dysfunctional family.  We, as a whole, will pay for it one way or another.  What should we do?  sad

You really thought long and hard about this one before posting didnt you?

-Im sure they decided they wanted a baby and actively sought to make one just like everyone else. Nobody ever has an accident with their means of birthcontrol, nobody ever went through an "abstinence only" sex ed class and doesnt actually understand the various options for birth control or even the risk of pregnancy, nobody ever gets raped.

-What exactly do razor cuts have anything to do with being a fit parent?

-Birth control is NOT readily available for everyone, especially broke teenagers living at home who cant talk to their parents about the sex theyre having. Birth control also fails, especially when an uneducated teenager is using it.

What should we do? Offer a better more informative sexual education to children, offer a cheaper/free-er birthcontrol method that is easier for kids to access...

Nov 12 12 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

JessieLeigh wrote:

https://www.ownzee.com/attachments/photos/pic6/4dc9f6cb-98c0-4152-9980-27c1cdbab12d.jpg

Nov 12 12 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Compass Rose Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

Carlos Occidental wrote:
License to reproduce. 

People may obviously have as much sex as they like.  They should be allowed to reproduce indiscriminately.

How about a universal license forbidding folks to fuck until they're over 60? 

That should keep those damn kids off my lawn.

Nov 12 12 02:17 pm Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

https://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/dis-gon-b-gud.gif

Nov 12 12 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Hey, you know all the teen single moms; ask them.  I'm a 60 year old curmudgeon.  Why ask me?

Nov 12 12 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

I apologize.  It was my fault.

Nov 12 12 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

-Nicole- wrote:
https://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/dis-gon-b-gud.gif

OK---you stay and let me know how this goes.....me, I am outta here....

https://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww216/mudbug73/1290708698_magic-chair.gif

Nov 12 12 02:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

T

Carlos Occidental wrote:
License to reproduce. 

Big gubment.

Nov 12 12 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Waitwaitwait... THE BABIES HAVE RAZOR CUT SCARS?!? CALL CPS! THESE BABIES IS BEIN' ABUSED! OMG!!!

On a more serous note,
Way to generalize, dude.   

Birth control is readily available for everyone, why didn't they seek this option.

How do you know they didn't? Most methods of contraception are not perfect. The only one that is, is not having sex.

What should we do?  sad

Let's all start threads about moralizing and lecturizing and saving the world from single moms and the babies with razor cuts on their little arms and legs.

Nov 12 12 02:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

T

I like to think most mothers will always love their children, even when the kid highly disappoints them. At least that's how I feel.

Nov 12 12 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
I apologize.  It was my fault.

You slut.

Nov 12 12 02:34 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Birth control is readily available for everyone, why didn't they seek this option.

No, it isn't.

At this time in our country, many families do not have readily available access to healthcare, and the access they do have is sometimes limited by assorted factors.

Not all healthcare covers birth control. When I was married, and 'covered' under my (now ex-) husband's plan, I still had to pay out of pocket, around $60/month, for contraceptives. The insurance only paid for exams, consultations and disease screenings.

A HUGE number of parents would just ignorantly deny their children access to birth control, because it's not uncommon in this country for people to seriously believe access to contraception encourages sexual activity. I do not understand that line of thinking at all, but it exists, and it's fairly common. I went to high school with a girl whose mother found her birth control pills, and threw them away. Seriously. No joke.

Many teens cannot tell their parents they are sexually active, or ask for basic sexual healthcare. I did not become sexually active until I was an adult, and out of my parents' house, but had I been a sexually active teen, I would have been asked to leave my home if my mom had discovered it. Even after moving out, and becoming (responsibly) sexually active, when my mother found out (through hearsay) I was dating, she did not speak to me -at least not in any peaceable way- for a very long time. I was 20 years old at the time, working and caring for myself. Didn't matter. Had I been a teen and asked for an appointment with Planned Parenthood, it would have destroyed my relationship with my family forever.

Even people who use birth control have accidents. It happens. It just does.

Nov 12 12 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

if society can't deal with teen mothers, maybe all girls should be forced to have an IUD until they are 18. they can have all the sex they want, but they won't get pregnant (for the most part).

but i think an easier solution is to offer easy access to free birth control. i don't think that's the case today.

Nov 12 12 02:44 pm Link

Model

Anne_C

Bellingham, Washington, US

Um...  Wow.  I'm not even sure where to start on this one.  I don't consider myself a person who is easily offended, but...  I'm kinda offended.

I was a young mother (I am now 28), unwed, with razor scars all over my arms -- troubled childhood, what can I say.  I quit the habit many years ago, before my kids were born.  Yes, my first child was an "accident" (missed taking a birth control pill).  Best accident ever to happen to me.

I am an awesome mom.  I now have two beautiful, perfect, polite, kind, incredibly smart and well-adjusted little boys who tell me every day that I am the "best mama in the whole world."  I love them more than anything.

Yes, as a young unwed mother it was sometimes a struggle, both emotionally and financially - but since when is parenthood ever NOT a struggle?

Your stereotypes suck.

Nov 12 12 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Recently I have encountered lot of teen single mother, why did they bring the child into this world while they are not capable of raising them.

this is not going to end well.

IBTL

Nov 12 12 02:48 pm Link

Model

DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT

Čaġčarān, Ġawr, Afghanistan

Only one girl I went to school with became pregnant before her eighteenth, she still finished high school, had her child and he is now one and just learnt to walk. I suspect her parents are doing a lot behind the scenes but he seems like a pretty normal little kid, and her partner has stayed with her throughout.

Then there are another two girls who I was also high school friends with who are now pregnant. One is still working full time, owns a house with her partner and will have the support of her family (she's eighteen). The other has continued to smoke, drink and use marijuana, she has a terrible relationship with the baby's father and her family, although excited for the child, will not be able to support her seeing as they're all dealing with their own drug and alcohol addictions,(she's nineteen).

Sometimes two normal teens fuck up and have a kid, it's hard but they can deal with it and that kid can have a pretty normal life. But sometimes people, no matter their age, conceive due to carelessness, and their child is going to have a pretty rough life.

Nov 12 12 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Do you cop this attitude when you're shooting with young single-mom models?

Nov 12 12 02:53 pm Link

Model

Chloe Selene

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I doubt that most single, teenage mothers put any advance thought or planning into their pregnancies.  I don't think the issue is that they mistakenly believed they had the finances, responsibility, maturity, etc. to raise a child . . . . I think those things were never on the table.  If they were, we would be talking about planned pregnancies, not unplanned. 

Yes, birth control is available, but is it easily accessible for teenagers and high school students?  I'm not sure.  I wasn't sexually active while I was in high school, but if I had been, I don't think I could have gotten my hands on any without my parents finding out - and for a lot of people, there is still a stigma attached to sex being "dirty" or "wrong," or girls are worried that if their friends/family find out, they'll be called a "slut" or "whore" . . . . meaning that nobody wants anyone else to find out that they're having sex. Maybe some people aren't looking for the help/contraception they need because they're worrying about being judged.

Planned Parenthood gives out free condoms but I didn't have a car in high school and the hell if I was going to ask my parents/friends to take me there.  When I was in college, they put condoms free for the taking in all the restrooms.  People don't want to do that in high school, because they're worried it "sends the wrong message" and condones kids having sex.  I see this argument, but as a kid who wasn't having sex in high school, being given a free condom would not have motivated me to go get laid. For those that were already having sex, at least it would be safer.

It's a complicated issue.  I think parents have an important responsibility to be actively involved in their kids' lives and educations . . . and I mean not just education as school is concerned, but teaching their kids how to be responsible, make good decisions, look out for their own health and well-being, etc . . . . when that doesn't happen, we see kids who honestly don't know how tragically they're messing up their lives.  I know many very intelligent adults around my age (25) who have nothing to show for themselves at this point in their lives because their parents never helped them plan for their futures when they were young.  They don't know how to budget, save money, spend responsibly, have a good work ethic, communicate effectively, etc.  If you grow up in a family that thinks school is a joke, you're not going to take it seriously, or get good grades, or have a chance to go to college and earn more to support yourself . . .. it goes on and on. 

Also, you mentioned in the original post that it's a vicious cycle.  Let's say a kid was raised in a single parent home where her mother gave birth to her at 16, dropped out of high school, was not actively involved in helping her child get ahead in school, or teaching priorities, values, etc.  When this kid grows up, how much blame can be put on the child if she doesn't do well in school, ends up pregnant herself, etc?  Sure, she has to take some responsibility, but doesn't a lot go to the parent who never prepared her child to succeed in life?  Can we expect a child to intrinsically see the value of getting a great education and waiting until they're financially prepared to have their own family? Of course not.  That needs to be taught, and it falls on the parents.  So why do we blame teenagers, who are still only teenagers, and don't blame the adults who let them get to that age without instilling important life lessons? 

So, what do we do? Kids need to have positive examples and role models if they're going to achieve positive things themselves.  They need to see the right way to do something or else they'll never strive to do it.  Instead of judging them and their mistakes, we need to attempt to see life from their perspective and guide them so they can make better lives for themselves.  I'm not trying to downplay the issue here, it's obviously a serious issue, but I think there's more to it than meets the eye. 

I'd be interested to find out how many teenage, single moms were born to teenage moms themselves.

Nov 12 12 02:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

T

Anne_C wrote:
Um...  Wow.  I'm not even sure where to start on this one.  I don't consider myself a person who is easily offended, but...  I'm kinda offended.

I was a young mother (I am now 28), unwed, with razor scars all over my arms -- troubled childhood, what can I say.  I quit the habit many years ago, before my kids were born.  Yes, my first child was an "accident" (missed taking a birth control pill).  Best accident ever to happen to me.

I am an awesome mom.  I now have two beautiful, perfect, polite, kind, incredibly smart and well-adjusted little boys who tell me every day that I am the "best mama in the whole world."  I love them more than anything.

Yes, as a young unwed mother it was sometimes a struggle, both emotionally and financially - but since when is parenthood ever NOT a struggle?

Your stereotypes suck.

Awwww, I know they're adorable.

Nov 12 12 03:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

T

I know a girl who got pregnant at 18 and had twins. She completed college, went on and got her Phd and is now an engineer for NASA. Not saying it was easy but she did it.

She told me a story about a few scientists and engineers came into a seminar at work and thought she was the custodian....she allowed them to think it until it was time for her to teach the class. Never underestimate people.

Nov 12 12 03:09 pm Link

Model

Tracii Taylor

Bordentown, New Jersey, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:

https://www.ownzee.com/attachments/photos/pic6/4dc9f6cb-98c0-4152-9980-27c1cdbab12d.jpg

I prefer soup.

Nov 12 12 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

A part of the answer (which by the way, I deduce from your post is not what you're really looking for here) is contained in your observation that "Many of them have razor cut scars all over their arms and legs. '  Many, but by no means all, of them were unwanted themselves and that fact was brought to their attention over and over and over.  Cutting may be a punishment of themselves because they've come to believe that they actually are "bad" and "worthless".  Or it may be a plea for help (I know, lots of right-wingers will scornfully sniff, "Yeah, sure!" ) Usually it's both.

Sometimes it's just a couple of kids playing Catholic Roulette.

Another part is inadequate sex education.  And while I hate to keep hitting the right-wingers, I have to say that the same people who refuse to deal realistically with sex in raising their own youngsters are the first to go ballistic if the school board tries to introduce a sex ed class in junior high and form social and political lynch mobs if the local druggist sells a teenager a pack of condoms.

And yet another part is the unhappiness in many homes that goes far beyond the normal teenage angst, to the point where having someone, anyone, love me is worth all the unhappiness and uncertainty that comes with the pregnancy compared to all the unhappiness in the teenager's home.  Have you ever noticed how often the unmarried mom is the child of an unmarried (or at best urgently married) mom?

And don't get me started on the goody-goody two-shoes who rant on and on about unwed mothers while ranting out of the other sides of their mouths about the sanctity of life and the evils of abortion.

And never forget that sometimes, often in fact, these are just two kids who are desperately, totally, utterly in love.  A member of my extended family, herself the product of an "urgent" marriage, told her parents that sixteen or not, she and her boyfriend loved each other and wanted to get married.  The anticipated battle with her parents ensued, the fires fanned in large part by the fact that the boy was from very far on the wrong side of the tracks.  "No matter," she said, "we're getting married and if you don't sign the papers, I'll just get pregnant."  The parents caved and that rebellious teen is now a grandmother, still very happily married to her "boy from the other side of the tracks" who recently retired after a successful career.  Sometimes, the kids know themselves better than the old folks.

So, to answer your question "What should we do?"
1-  Demand that our school systems provide adequate sex education from the grade school level on.  Children are entering puberty at an earlier and earlier age.  Pre-teen pregnancies are not unheard of.

2-  Insist that schools and other social service agencies have adequate staff, funding and training to provide education and counseling to at-risk teens.  This is something that must be done at the local level and if you are not fighting for these services in your community, you are contributing to the problem.

2-  Support Planned Parenthood and other such organizations in our communities.  The purpose of these organizations is not to prevent conception, it is to prevent [u][b]unwanted[u][b] conception.

3-  Talk, really talk, to our children and grandchildren, and, yes, dammit! to our friends and neighbors.  Probably the biggest contributor to this very real problem is the tendency to treat this as something dirty to be swept under the rug.

Like any other problem that affects our communities, people who put their hands  to work finding solutions don't have time to throw them up in despair.

All IMHO, as always.

Nov 12 12 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Anne_C wrote:

Your stereotypes suck.

Were you ever on government assistance?

Nov 12 12 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

JessieLeigh wrote:

They will be sent to the military for a proper upbringing as a soldier.

Nov 12 12 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

JessieLeigh wrote:
I blame MTV. Glamorizing teenage pregnancy and paying teenage moms to make tv shows so MTV casn make more money.

(Only partially joking)

Right--there were no teen moms until MTV...

Nov 12 12 03:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

T

Carlos Occidental wrote:

more gubment

Nov 12 12 03:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

T

Gianantonio wrote:

big_smile

what about those with no cable?

Nov 12 12 03:26 pm Link

Model

Russian Katarina II

London, England, United Kingdom

Carlos Occidental wrote:

Worked in Ender's game.

Nov 12 12 03:31 pm Link

Model

JessieLeigh

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Gianantonio wrote:

Yup, that is EXACTLY what I said, glad you got it.

Nov 12 12 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Perhaps a well thought out programme of Utilitarian Bioethics and Eugenics would address the issue. 

It would not be the first time in the US that this approach has been applied - as recently as the 1970s actually

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/gender … istory.htm

Nov 12 12 03:35 pm Link

Model

Anne_C

Bellingham, Washington, US

What Fun Productions wrote:
Were you ever on government assistance?

No.  Not that I wouldn't have qualified for it.  Why do you ask?

Nov 12 12 05:59 pm Link