Forums > Model Colloquy > models on myspace?

Model

krystel_gotti

Covina, California, US

I was wondering if going about getting noticed the Myspace route? Is that a cool way to go? I see alot of girls getting more work and stuff, if anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them!

Oct 30 06 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Elana Rachel

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Myspace, like any other internet site can only do as much as you put into it. In my experience, the models who have done really well for themselves on myspace are typically glamour models. There are some people who have built careers for themselves around having extremely popular myspace pages... I think its almost always better to put your name/face out there as much as possilbe, but I wouldn't totally rely on internet popularity to boost your career.

Good luck!

Oct 30 06 08:59 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I don't really like the idea of promotion on myspace, unless it's kept seperate from a friends-only account.  I don't want to look at a myspace page of a model (from here, say) just to see pictures of her smoking or comments from her friends saying, "That was some cool shit we did last night."  It comes off as horribly unprofessional.  Go ahead and make a professional profile, but keep it seperate.

--Alexandra

Oct 30 06 09:37 pm Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

it helps get your face out there.
same as being on a few different modelling sites-so why not?

Oct 30 06 09:39 pm Link

Model

JazzyBelle

Greenville, South Carolina, US

I get a lot of exposure there...It's a great place to network when you need something...I've found lots of good contacts to work with there....

Oct 30 06 09:42 pm Link

Model

Model not current

Angola, New York, US

I think there are better ways to market yourself for modeling besides myspace, but maybe I've been looking in the wrong places on it. There are tons of exclusively modeling sites.

Oct 30 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Abel Photography

Newburgh, New York, US

I have two myspace pages. One is my friends page and one is a networking page. I have met several models from myspace and have some decent results from it

Oct 30 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

EA Photographics

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

I make use of all available sites and opportunities.  I am VERY selective about who I add as a friend on MySpace since I am there to network with others in the field and I am not trying to win the "who has the most friends" contest.  I also delete those that spam, send chain mails, or otherwise make themselves look stupid and waste my time. 

Having said that, MySpace has been good to me so far, but it is not a substitute for MM, OMP, or the other professional sites devoted to modeling and phototgraphy...

Adam

Oct 30 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

EA Photographics

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

Sorry, duplicate post....

Oct 30 06 09:47 pm Link

Model

Aaron Wright

Brooklyn, New York, US

MySpace = gay

Oct 30 06 10:00 pm Link

Model

Model not current

Angola, New York, US

Aaron Wright wrote:
MySpace = gay

::Gasp!::

Oct 30 06 10:03 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Aaron Wright wrote:
MySpace = gay

I don't think that was really appropriate.  It's okay if you don't like myspace - I'm not really a fan of it anyway, but why do you have to use gay as a derogatory term?

Oct 30 06 10:03 pm Link

Model

Aaron Wright

Brooklyn, New York, US

model7299 wrote:

I don't think that was really appropriate.  It's okay if you don't like myspace - I'm not really a fan of it anyway, but why do you have to use gay as a derogatory term?

Oh lord does it really have to be brought to this... would you have felt better had I said MySpace = not a good place for models because it deals too much with making friends and having conversations and other "fun" things... cuz i didn't really feel like explaining all the reason why I don't like Myspace.  I could probably go on forever. 

There are many words in the english language that have more than one meaning.. gay happens to be one of them, had I used it to describe me being happy i'm sure it wouldn't have been offensive so why let it bother you now.  I love gay people, happy ones and homosexual ones.  But in my opinion.. myspace is gay

Oct 30 06 10:07 pm Link

Model

JazzyBelle

Kalyn L wrote:
I think there are better ways to market yourself for modeling besides myspace, but maybe I've been looking in the wrong places on it. There are tons of exclusively modeling sites.

You're right about that...but, I've actually found people to work with as far as needing videographers...or need to find contacts for other projects I need...I guess I wouldn't use it so much so for promoting my photography but as a networking engine. There are a lot of companies that are using it now. I've been approached by 4-5 modeling agencies on there...I guess it's about your preference...but I know I will be using it to market calendars and posters when I print them up...it reaches lots of people....

Oct 30 06 10:09 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Aaron, so being in forums here isn't doing the same thing? You obviously have no problems posting "Myspace = gay" on MM. How is that any different that posting bulletins on Myspace or just commenting with your friends there?

Oct 30 06 10:10 pm Link

Model

JazzyBelle

Applebutta wrote:

You're right about that...but, I've actually found people to work with as far as needing videographers...or to find contacts for other projects I need...I guess I wouldn't use it so much so for promoting my modeling but as a networking engine. There are a lot of companies that are using it now. I've been approached by 4-5 modeling agencies on there...I guess it's about your preference...but I know I will be using it to market calendars and posters when I print them up...it reaches lots of people....

I jacked up all kinds of grammar and it didn't make sense...had to correct it...sorry...

Oct 30 06 10:10 pm Link

Model

Ami S

Maysville, Georgia, US

I had a myspace page long before I ever started modeling and still have it... but now I have an additional page that is dedicated to nothing but my modeling.

On that page I add other models and photographers.

To me it is a place to laugh and enjoy networking, anyone who contacts me on myspace about modeling I direct them to here or my OMP pages.

Oct 30 06 10:12 pm Link

Model

Aaron Wright

Brooklyn, New York, US

Lora wrote:
Aaron, so being in forums here isn't doing the same thing? You obviously have no problems posting "Myspace = gay" on MM. How is that any different that posting bulletins on Myspace or just commenting with your friends there?

First of all.. my problem with myspace lies within the "friends" that ppl have on the site.  My disgust originated with facebook which is just for college students (now everyone b/c of myspace) and ppl just compete to have friends that they don't even know.. irritating.. then you get the joy of seeing little girls on myspace w/ half naked pictures and all thier personal information out there which is just bad for everyone.

This site is developed to be nothing like myspace.. it is designed to be a professional site where models, photogs, and MUAs can meet and discuss important issues... she asked what ppl thought of myspace for modeling, and my response was that I didn't think it was a good idea. 

And how is me responding to her anything like someone talking on myspace.. because they both involve me typing on my computer?  this forum Model Matters is used to discuss things that matter to models... myspace bulletins are places for ppl to post thier random news or talk about thier random topics... and mainly to take Surveys and ask for picture comments... not for critique or advice.. but to feel pretty.. or even worse sexy.. it's comical in a sense

When you signed up for MM it asked that you didn't allow this site to become a place like MySpace... so I think that statement alone answers the initial question.

Oct 30 06 10:26 pm Link

Model

LORA

Yeah people adding random people is sometimes considered networking, and it's done on MM as well. And, not everyone does it. It doesn't mean that Myspace can't be a great place to network if you use it the right way.

Oct 30 06 10:31 pm Link

Model

Aaron Wright

Brooklyn, New York, US

but why work so hard dancing around the weasels and perverts on myspace when you can go to sites such as MM and network w/ a much higher percentage of legit ppl... myspace is designed for a lot of random things.. MM is designed for modeling.. why not put your effort into sites like this.. and save myspace for your "friends and fun".(if you even choose to be on it)

Oct 30 06 10:35 pm Link

Model

LORA

I have both. Absolutely nothing wrong with it and I don't think it's "gay" whatsoever.

Oct 30 06 10:37 pm Link

Model

Kevin Tan

Riverside, Maryland, US

I personally think myspace is GREAT place for network.. but not really for models.. for other entertainers who wants more exposure to get themselves in the industry. Aaron, i know exactly where you're coming from. But me also as an actor, myspace has been very helpful. There are many production companies are on myspace searching for new faces and talents. I've met amazing talents on myspace. And also a friend of mine are making film together, myspace has been extremely helpful for me to cast for my actors that i need. So i wouldn't call myspace gay, its just not a right place for models for sure. Along the line, myspace is also for friends networking, or people who you met in a party and would like to get to know the person more. All you gotta say is "you got myspace?" most of them would say yes. And the connection starts from there...

-KT

BTW: I strongly don't recommend to post nude or lingerie pictures of yourself on myspace though...Aaron do have a point, MM is for business and mature users so having nudes on here is alright...

Oct 30 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

Aaron Wright wrote:
but why work so hard dancing around the weasels and perverts on myspace when you can go to sites such as MM and network w/ a much higher percentage of legit ppl... myspace is designed for a lot of random things.. MM is designed for modeling.. why not put your effort into sites like this.. and save myspace for your "friends and fun".(if you even choose to be on it)

Plenty of weasels and perverts here to.

Oct 30 06 10:44 pm Link

Model

Aaron Wright

Brooklyn, New York, US

Cecil Sharps wrote:
Plenty of weasels and perverts here to.

Yeah there are some.. but a lot less..

Oct 30 06 10:48 pm Link

Model

Ami S

Maysville, Georgia, US

Aaron Wright wrote:
but why work so hard dancing around the weasels and perverts on myspace when you can go to sites such as MM and network w/ a much higher percentage of legit ppl...

This is just one of the comments I have gotten
"what would it take $ wise to get you up here for a several hour shoot, have a few drinks before and after etc ?"

And yes this was from MM not myspace... and this is one of many along with messages from those who act as agents for the adult industry who are members here on MM.

Dancing around them here or on myspace as just as easy...

Click delete or take the time to say "thank you but no thank you"

Oct 30 06 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Ami S wrote:

"what would it take $ wise to get you up here for a several hour shoot, have a few drinks before and after etc ?"

And yes this was from MM not myspace... and this is one of many along with messages from those who act as agents for the adult industry who are members here on MM.

Not what i'd tell someone who's a jerk like that Ami, but you have more class than me.

Oct 30 06 10:51 pm Link

Model

Kirk R Stefferud

i think with the whole myspace = gay thing, what people are trying to get at is that you are useing a word that describe who someone is in a negative connotation.... you would never use a racial slur to describe myspace.... and you say you have many gay friends, well is myspace just like them, therefore bad like them because you are saying myspace is gay, and using it in a negative way... or were you trying to say myspace is homosexual and sleeps with other male networking sites.... either way you look at it, to me, its a pretty stupid statement....

the point is just because the word has now developed into a different meaning, doesnt mean it ok, and in a public forum, you should watch how you say something, im not saying you arent going to offend people, but you wouldnt curse, or spout off racial slurs... so why that. and for that matter just because everyone else is offensive, do you have to be.... and you could have easily said myspace=trashy, and i think we would have got the point.

sorry im gonna get off my soap box now...

Oct 30 06 10:54 pm Link

Model

Renee Jensen

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I started a Myspace page for work when I began go-go dancing a few months ago here in Scottsdale for promotional reasons (when our go-go company is throwing big club bashes and things we want to invite ppl to), and it has turned out to be an amazing outlet for networking. It's where I ended up meeting all three of the photographers I've worked with so far, and a LOT of people seem to know me now! (They'll aproach me and ask if I'm "Tiny Dancer", my screen name, which always cracks me up!) It's really great for the networking purposes and self-promoting and you may even end up with some great oppertunities out of it; I just wouldn't rely on it for your "big break", but obviously it never hurts to have your face all over one more great site! smile Just realize everything in this industry is gonna take work on YOUR part to become noticed.. don't rely on anything/anyone to do it for you!

PS If anyone in this forum does have a myspace account, look me up and add me! I seem to find my way around that site much better than on here, and would love to continue networking with ppl specifically in this industry...

myspace.com/renee_go_go

Have a safe Halloween ya'lll!

Oct 30 06 10:59 pm Link

Model

Aaron Wright

Brooklyn, New York, US

Kirk R Stefferud wrote:
i think with the whole myspace = gay thing, what people are trying to get at is that you are useing a word that describe who someone is in a negative connotation.... you would never use a racial slur to describe myspace.... and you say you have many gay friends, well is myspace just like them, therefore bad like them because you are saying myspace is gay, and using it in a negative way... or were you trying to say myspace is homosexual and sleeps with other male networking sites.... either way you look at it, to me, its a pretty stupid statement....

the point is just because the word has now developed into a different meaning, doesnt mean it ok, and in a public forum, you should watch how you say something, im not saying you arent going to offend people, but you wouldnt curse, or spout off racial slurs... so why that. and for that matter just because everyone else is offensive, do you have to be.... and you could have easily said myspace=trashy, and i think we would have got the point.

sorry im gonna get off my soap box now...

Yeah we settled that early.. but i mean you're right.. the point was that I wasn't sayin it to be offensive to gay people and nowadays ppl who use the term gay when describing a situation are usually not being offensive to homosexuals at all...  I mean i know homosexuals who describes annoying things as gay.  So know that there is no need to be offended or disgusted by the comment.  I have posted in the forum enough times that you can see what i meant by describing myspace.

And for all of you saying that Myspace and MM have the same amount of "perves and weasels" at least it is shunned here, and at least it is monitored.  Not to mention that myspace is full of 12-15 year olds doing these things.  It just seems to me that on MM those type of people aren't welcome but on Myspace who cares... I've seen profiles of ppl on there who have thousands of "friends" that they don't even know.. just half naked girls.. lol it's sad

Oct 30 06 11:51 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Aaron Wright wrote:

But there are going to be weasels and perverts on myspace no matter what pics I put up.  I know this because I was on myspace before I started modeling (I got my first shoot off there actually) and I never lacked annoying guys trying to hit me up off the amateur candid shots I had put up.  I plan to use any form of networking and self promotion I can.

Oct 30 06 11:54 pm Link

Model

Aaron Wright

Brooklyn, New York, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

But there are going to be weasels and perverts on myspace no matter what pics I put up.  I know this because I was on myspace before I started modeling (I got my first shoot off there actually) and I never lacked annoying guys trying to hit me up off the amateur candid shots I had put up.  I plan to use any form of networking and self promotion I can.

Do what you gotta do but that's just where I disagree.. why would you wanna network w/ those ppl, why would you want to be associated w/ them and I hope you don't mean that you'd promote yourself in any form as long as you can get exposure.  I guess for the original post you can see that it can be useful, but I just think there are better ways.  I think it just seems less legitimate.

Oct 30 06 11:58 pm Link

Model

Stephan Jefferson

Long Beach, California, US

I think there isnt such a thing as bad "networking". If youre getting your face out there... isnt that the idea? The more "friends" you have on myspace or any website for that matter just means someone who would actually consider using you for a paid job has a better chance of running across your page. I mean.. people have been discovered on street corners and in their everyday activity... whats so glamourous (did I spell that right) about that? I think that any exposure is good exposure. Yall can look me up on myspace.. youll see that as long as you dont have a bunch of immature stuff on your profile... it will work just fine.

Oct 31 06 12:08 am Link

Model

LORA

Ever heard of Tila Tequila? I would say Myspace networking was VERY GOOD for her.

Oct 31 06 12:11 am Link

Model

Stephan Jefferson

Long Beach, California, US

my point exactly... and more than half of her fan-base is a bunch of old perverts making obsene comments. but it is still networking lol

Oct 31 06 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Caroline Ann Martin

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I've been VERY active on myspace for almost a year now, with over 35,000 visitors to my page.  Much of my activity stems from the fact that I lost over 200 lbs and run several online groups for those who are also going through what I did.  The thing is though that I want to be remembered as the woman who lost 225 lbs, not the woman who poed naked. 

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE myspace (id is carolineam and also abutterflyemerges) (and yes, that's me singing), and there is some overlap, but mostly I use myspace to network with friends and other weight loss patients.
smile Caroline
-225 lbs

Oct 31 06 12:13 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

I have a seperate myspace account for modeling.
It helps get my face out there, yes.  I also started my own "fan" group on myspace so I could share news with anyone interested in knowing.

I have never gotten a job from myspace and sometimes I get a lot of messages from guys wanting to date me or really sketchy "photographers."  I ignore a lot of the messages I get at that account.. Haha.  So no, in my experience it's not good for finding work.  But it is good for networking, having more people notice you, developing "fans."  I'm going to be on a paysite opening soon, so my myspace account and group are helping me let people know who may be interested in joining, which helps me pay bills.

Oct 31 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Caroline Ann Martin

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Ami S wrote:

Absolutely.... I've already gotten 2 solicitations vie my message inbox here for a call girl set up. Ugh....

Oct 31 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Personally I've found models more reliable from there than from here or any other "models only" site...

Oct 31 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

D Fish

Springfield, Missouri, US

krystel_gotti wrote:
I was wondering if going about getting noticed the Myspace route? Is that a cool way to go? I see alot of girls getting more work and stuff, if anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them!

All I get on myspace is girls wanting FREE shoots. That don't pay my bills.

Oct 31 06 12:18 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Ami S wrote:

Caroline A Martin wrote:
Absolutely.... I've already gotten 2 solicitations vie my message inbox here for a call girl set up. Ugh....

If you guys are getting messages like this, I hope you're contacting moderators with the names of these people and the messages they sent you. 

I have been lucky enough to not get any messages like that.  smile.

Oct 31 06 12:20 am Link